One Week at a time beginning 3rd AUGUST 2021

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Oh my goodness we are already into August . Feel that summer hasn’t really set in here even for SW France,the weather is very unpredictable and inconsistent but the summer veg are in abundance and make me happy.

Welcome to new or returning members : Buffylover/Rebecca , Stilltrying and Nokie/Lynda.
    We are glad that you have found us and you can be sure to find all the support you need on here .

On a personal level I have settled into a sort of resigned acceptance of all things COVID and COLISSIMO ( the dreaded French parcel service !!) I don’t want to bore you much longer with the saga but just to say that my son’s parcel finally left France, arrived in Sydney , then Brisbane and seems to be in some sort of postal depot in Cairns . It was supposed to be delivered today but I am not going to complain… it really is almost there after one month of anxious checking.

I had a cheerful morning. Aquagym first thing and then a lovely mooch round an outdoor ‘brocante’. I am often wary of overblown prices but was pleased to find a set of white,vintage , monogrammed bathroom towels for 3€ each and they are now in the washing machine. It was nice to have a coffee outdoors too.

So my ‘blue ‘episode has subsided for now but I really feel for anyone struggling. Clare, so good to see you back . Just check in when you can . I hope Lauren returns too, and Britta.
    You are all amazing in your resilience and strength . Remember we are rarely ‘perfect’ all the time but we are doing our best . I can’t really plan far ahead these days but trying to stay positive .

SG I fully understand the pull of the UK right now and your need to be close to your daughter . I haven’t heard of any Brits returning here but many look to downsize because of health issues. If you do go back I will seek you out and have a coffee in Birmingham , so you can’t escape me !!!

Right, off to sort out the list . As always many, many thanks to Sunny and SG for their continued and greatly valued support on this thread xx
    Wendy xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

The updated list

wendleg, Sunny B, sunshine girl
    JGwen
    sixturkeys
    Starina
    Verano
    ADD6605 ( Dawn)
    Riccoh
    Russianroulade
    Tulip1 ( Clare)
    Mifoz
    MerryMelba
    Maryanne Carlos-Mascarenhas
    WindyJulz
    articfox
    Olive1
    lauraknits
    Marsie (Marilyn)
    EllieAllegra
    EC:Erin
    Hello66
    Jordana
    Alipetunia/Alison
    RubyG and hubby
    Ditchedthemet
    Dizzychicken
    SlinkyTinks
    LonelyAdipose
    Emzijw
    Barefoot girl
    Life Diet
    allicat1A ( Allie, formerly alliecat !)
    RedRooster
    nhatha3432
    sprox
    skittle
    Daisybean
    workingfromthe fridge
    Bombalone
    PSL68
    ScottM
    florobo85/Lauren
    Tamara1
    MillieMoo/Claire
    SummerTwinkles/ Summer
    Sheila Canning
    JustKeepFasting
    Bryla
    kiltgirl
    Deb2003
    Donnadoobie
    HappiR
    WilLuck
    PaulaZ
    Faithlyn67
    Onetowatch
    nicnocgee
    Smead01 ( Samantha)
    Goforgoal
    Britta
    Mokovex
    DebOflo
    Riverrock
    HopefulinOz/Donna
    Quetzal
    Onnipinoy
    Magicbean
    Pashasmum
    avisamuelgrey
    scotsgirl57
    Annamarieboo
    peanutbutty
    erinmc82
    Kat2020
    xx1flump1xx
    Ncij678
    LizzieTOFI
    Jeremy Fisher
    Green and White
    Garmmcns
    Chrissybabe63
    Reuby19
    Elle-Mae
    Bissell
    Puddingtoast
    Steph2
    Antigone
    LifeUniverseEverything
    ellie666
    Buffylover /Rebecca
    Stilltrying
    Nokie/Lynda

• posted by wendleg
    on

Arcticfox, please be careful there . We are all thinking of you x

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

I forgot to add the most important thing my BG was 5.9!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Just a quick check in. Wendy, great that you are feeling more up best now, after a couple of really difficult weeks. Thanks for leading us into not just a new week, but a new month too.
    In the interest of transparency, with my focus being on grandchildren right now, it has slipped a bit on the BSD front. Consequently there has been a loss, a gain and so overall no appreciable difference between this time last week and today. However, that dip down has shown me what I’m aiming for is achievable, so later this week once grandchildren move on, I’ll refocus and concentrate on achieving that goal.
    Whatever your situation, just do what you can and don’t beat yourself up if things don’t go quite to plan … the next day, even the next meal, can be a new start.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Thank you Wendy, SunnyB and SG for the new thread and so glad that you keep this space for us to come back to. Donna, was glad to see you too on last week’s thread, it sounds tough (and familiar!)- but fab weight loss!. ArcticFox, I can’t believe your situation, it sounds horrendous! Lauren, if you are out there, I miss you!! Also everyone else, I love you too 😚😚.
    Ooh, and everyone growing veg, omg, it makes me so happy too, and so good for our WOE. This year I had some broad beans, I have loads of lettuces/ mustard leaf, cucumbers and tomatoes, and also have some brassicas and courgettes….ooh and always, globe artichokes that come back every year, plus various perennial herbs, and I am making more effort to harvest extra and make into sauces/ dry/ freeze them to use over the winter. Later in the season we have pears and quinces too, and we now have some baby gooseberry bushes as well. The garden makes me so happy 😍….as a bonus we have chickens, so eggs are usually in good supply too 😊😊😊…
    1st day back properly on the WOE….going ok so far 🤞🤞

• posted by Jeremy Fisher
    on

A good start to the week with a fast day yesterday. It certainly gets easier. I’ve done a couple of lunchtime runs in the last week and that works well – it culls my lunchtime hunger which doesn’t really return until much later in the day.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Thank you for the new thread, RubyG and hubby still here 🙂
    I’m sorry to hear of everyone’s struggles, I’ve been a bit quiet too as I’ve had a pretty lousy couple of weeks at work with me feeling like they’re taking the p, but I’m keeping on keeping on as SG would say.
    I think we’re all starting to really feel the effects of the pandemic in one way or another, and re-assess what is important in our lives.
    We are keeping to the plan regarding not eating the wrong kind of carbs, I think that way of eating is our new normal, but calories is another story altogether. I am trying not to worry about the cals too much, as we are either maintaining or losing slowly, which we are OK with. I am also trying to eat something fermented every day – most days it is a small amount of milk kefir or yoghurt, but I do feel better when my gut biome is in a happy place.
    And I’m still able to have 1 solitary Brazil nut with my kefir, thank you SG for helping me to change my mindset with (some) nuts (almonds are another story altogether, no discipline there at all).

• posted by wendleg
    on

Ruby I have a particular weakness for nuts so I have to impose regular periods of abstinence because I can easily convince myself they are healthy and then over indulge . I dare not buy nut butters either for the same reason but I am trying sesame paste which is quite nutty as a decent substitute, plus it is much cheaper !

• posted by wendleg
    on

Well done on the fasting JF . I agree that it does get easier but I have to be in the right state of mind to undertake longer periods of fasting right now. No breakfast is standard for me though . Well done on staying motivated !

• posted by ellie666
    on

not posted in over a week as not been in mood to tbh!
    weight loss continues, albeit very slowly (1/2 ilb a day) struggling with drinking enough water i think and still craving the quantities of food that i used to have.
    eating Tesco/Ocado/M&S/Sainsbury’s etc entire stock of Broccoli, Rocket, Mange Tout, Sugar Snaps, Cucumber, Celery, Courgettes and Cabbages with every meal.
    Been cheating a little with extra smoked salmon or the sirloin steak meal from the book but with a bigger steak 🙁 .
    In good news my BP’s gone from 131/94 to 103/73

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Well Elliot if that is the worst you can beat yourself up for I might just have to smack you in the face with a wet lettuce. 🙂 At bit more steak and some smoked salmon are the treats that keep us on this diet because we can enjoy them and still be doing well. You dont have to post every day and you are continuing to do well. Great news with the BP. You might have to give me a smack, I gained a kilo over the weekend while on my pretend holiday and party (the one I should be on right now) but I will get my head back into gear.

• posted by 54andfatnomore
    on

Great to meet everyone here and see how many others are still ‘hanging in there !’

on

Ellie – At the moment I’m averaging losing just half a pound a week so half a pound a day sounds amazing to me! Keep going – it’s about where you are in 6 months that is important not today or tomorrow. I found my fasting regime has got much much easier now – but it took about 6 weeks for my body to really get used to it and treat a fasting day as normal.

Sunshinegirl – I also put on a kilo in just 2 days at the weekend. It had all come back off by today though after 2 days back on it. I suspect it’s just water weight coming on and off.

• posted by Onestep
    on

Hi everyone, first time posting and doing the BSD, so I’m 5 days in and feeling really lethargic, but apart from that so far so good. Been reading all the posts to make sure I’m doing it right and getting lots of useful information so thank you for sharing those x

on

Lethargic is exactly how I feel Onestep when I start. In 3-4 weeks time I expect that will completely turn around and you’ll be amazed at just how much energy you have.

• posted by Mizztraveller
    on

I started Fast 800 on 2nd August so just a day ahead of you. I’ve been doing 5:2 for 9 years but it just isn’t working for me any more so I hope this one will help. I’m quite accustomed to having only 500 calories on 2 days a week so this extra 300 is fab – I can have a lunch! Still absolutely starving all the time though!
    One thing that is bothering me right now and maybe this is just because this diet is all new to me – I’m totally lacking in energy. I live in a 10th floor flat and I can usually walk the stairs in one hit, one stop at most. Right now I have to stop to rest every 2 floors!
    Hey ho, I’ve lost 2lbs in 2 days so onwards and upwards (or downwards hopefully)!

• posted by Onestep
    on

That’s great news Jeremy let’s hope it gets better over the next few days/weeks.
    That is a very informative link thank you, just had a read, fingers crossed we don’t get that too bad.

Fab Mizztraveller we can compare symptoms along the way 😆 I don’t know how you are coping with all those stairs at the moment.

But sounds like it can only get better 🤞

on

How do people cope with ‘cravings’ ?

I try to cope by having a drink of water instead of an ‘off the menu’ sneaky snack!

• posted by Onestep
    on

Trying to walk away from the temptations currently, but yes more water, maybe a green tea and find something to do with my hands take my mind off it.

on

Hi! I don’t have to cope with the stairs, we do have a fully functioning lift! I walk the stairs several times a week as a form of exercise.

• posted by Antigone
    on

54- My strategy for cravings/temptation is to come to this forum!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi everyone, nice to see some new faces posting. Welcome onestep and mizztraveller. And hi to ellie and jeremy, nice to have a couple of blokes here. Also Antigone and 54 still with us.

On the subject of cravings it depends on what it is you are craving. If it is carbs then the only answer is to not give in or you will be back in the vicious circle of eating them then craving them. You give in and they will come knocking again and again. If it is boredom then do something. If you are hungry and craving you should have a small snack that is allowed in your calories and non carb like a small square of cheese or, one of my favourites is olives as they have the saltiness I craved (I dont have a sweet tooth). Besides that you can do a short meditation or mindfulness. There are lots on-line for free, just 5 mins of relaxing and deep breathing.

Might be good news for my family, we just have to find out now what the new rules are going to be regarding testing. There is no need to quarantine (or self isolate) on either side of the Channel now but besides that not sure what is going to happen. Anyway, they have the tickets, the housesitter and dog walker, now I need to start stocking up my cupboards and it wont be with BSD friendly food with 5 kids aged 6 to 15 to feed. I am really going to be surrounded by temptation so I need to drop another 1.5kgs before they arrive in 18 days. Yeah.!!!!!!!

on

Love this advice from Sunshine Girl. Oh so true!

“If it is carbs then the only answer is to not give in or you will be back in the vicious circle of eating them then craving them.”

In my experience after a week or two the cravings go away – as long as you don’t start having carbs again!

What amazes me is how few food cravings I get now. I used to feel I was addicted to food. Actually I was just addicted to carbs and would want more even when I’d just had a meal. Now I’m off carbs that simply doesn’t happen.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Hi all, I have a specific question..

Does anyone ever eat ‘grape nuts’ cereal? Not as part of initial 800, but on maintenance/ 5:2…..or do you consider it to still be too high in carbs? Usually I have only chia seeds eith my yoghurt and berries in the morning, but sometimes add a sprinkling of grape nuts for a bit of crunch.

xx

• posted by RubyG
    on

Hi Tulip, I have never eaten grape nuts, sorry, but the nutritional data seems to show they are very high in carbs. If you’re looking for crunch, could you try toasted nuts or seeds (pumpkin and/or sunflower seeds, some mixes also have hemp, linseed, sesame etc.).

Re. cravings – I usually crave salt or fat, I don’t really have a sweet tooth, but miraculously I have not eaten even a single crisp since Oct 2020! I do occasionally have pork scratchings instead, but some of them have added carbs, so homemade crackling is better.

Hubby seems to be still losing at a rate of a pound or 2 per week, and I am more-or-less maintaining, our eating patterns are definitely more maintenance mode than full BSD, but we are keeping carbs low (carbs from above-ground veg only) and having a daily dose of milk kefir. We’d both like to get down into the next stone number (for him that will be 15st-someting and me 10st-something), which will be about what we weighed in our 20s.

ODAAT!

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Tulip, I have never had grape nuts but buy pumpkin, flax and sunflower seeds, mix them all together in a container and have 1 tablespoon with my Greek yogurt and berries and a sprinkle of cinnamon for breakfast that gives plenty of crunch.

on

Cravings

Thanks, good advice

My craving is BREAD. I make homemade for the family and find it quite delicious everytime

My sister who has been FAST diet for a long time now has limited bread, makes wholemeal and adds lots of seeds and things. I tried that, (even sliced and froze the slices so I had 1 a day!!) but I bake bread for family bread so a nibble turned into a slice and another slice and I NEVER want to throw any away so I eat whats left
    Its what stops better success for me every time (I think)

Perhaps I should just cut out bread altogether ??!!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Tulip, I know grape nuts give an intense crunch, so how about a small sprinkle cacao nibs instead, they have a similar bite.
    54, personally I’d give up bread …. well pretty much have actually, as I very rarely indulge these days. If you want a substitute, cloud bread is a good alternative … recipes are easily found online.

This week is going okay for me BSD-wise, but frustrated that Turkey remains on the UK red travel list …. especially as India has been moved to amber, bit difficult to see the reasoning. Hey ho … no point stressing. Have a good weekend folks.

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

54andfatnomore have you tried chaffle instead of bread?

• posted by Antigone
    on

Tulip- I’m craving Grape nuts now! Lol

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Whoops….sorry, Antigone!! 😜

Thank you everyone- yes, I looked at the stats earlier and agree about the carbs….mmmm, will need to make more effort- perhaps try toast sunflower/ pumpkin (not tried with yog b4)…..and try again with the cacao nibs….was underwhelmed in the past (hubby likes them)…..It is definitely true, if I eat GN, I get more (carb) cravings……sigh.

My resolve is somewhat wavering at present- with middle child doing sweet baking as is summer hols….so GN not even my worst sin this week 🙄😂

Must try harder!!
    Love to all xxxxx

on

Oooooh, the hunger! Nearly completed day 5 and have found lots of lovely recipes in the Fast 800 cookery book but my, I’m starving all the time. I’m needing to get up 2 hours earlier for breakfast because of the stomach pains and nausea. When will this go away?!!!

• posted by JoeyBee
    on

Hi all,
    It’s my first post. I started the BSD 5 weeks ago, and the first month was amazing, no cravings and was able to keep to a really good routine.
    This last week I’ve been on holiday, and have lost any element of control, and am mid binge! Im just wondering if anyone can offer any support to help me out of this place?
    Thanks all, I read all your posts and the conversations in the forum are really excellent and kind.

• posted by Nokie
    on

Hello joeybee
    Welcome 🤗 I re started this week having done this diet 2 years ago !!
    I was doing well upto today but had some family issues and have gone completely off track so I know where you are coming from
    The forum is great 👍 and I think reading what people say will help you get on track that’s what I am hoping anyway I love bread 🍞 and today I just could not stop eating it I feel so cross with myself but I am determined to keep trying
    Good luck let us know how you get on
    Lynda x😍

• posted by Antigone
    on

Elle Mae and Sunny B – chaffle and cloud bread! I Googled them and can’t wait to make some! Monday morning I am shopping for a waffle maker! Thank you for educating me 😉

on

BREAD!

There’s that word again !!

Someone pointed me to the joys of ‘Banana Ice Cream’ (made with just Bananas no ice cream at all !!)

Cant wait to try !

• posted by SunnyB
    on

JoeyBee … welcome, glad you are finding the thread helpful.
    We are all human and most of us have transgressed at some point or another. My advice is not to waste time and energy beating yourself up for giving in to temptation. Right now, step away from the carbs, refocus and get right back on track with your next meal. If you do this, it’s very likely you will see very little impact from this blip.

Please keep posting and we’ll do our best to support you.

• posted by JoeyBee
    on

Thanks so much everyone. That is such a massive help. Best foot forward tomorrow. Will keep checking in on this thread 😁

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Just looked up the banana ice cream 54andfatnomore going to have to try this.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Sorry to disappoint, bit if you’re low carbing or doing the original Blood Sugar Diet, bananas are a no-no.

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Oh well nevermind, good thing I don’t have any in the house 😁

on

JoeyBee – I was feeling really low energy yesterday after a long walk and gave in and ate carbs for the rest of the day (and did feel much better!). These things happen. This key is to get back on track asap as it’s what you do in the long term that’s important.

• posted by JoeyBee
    on

Thanks Jeremy Fisher, that’s so comforting to hear, especially as I see you have been on the forum and thus the lifestyle for so long.
    After posting last night, and reading the supportive replies, I’ve started the day a fresh and feeling really good about reigning it in after a week and not completely loosing my focus. It was really helpful to hear that it won’t have affected things too much, as I tend to throw I. The towel if I waver slightly off script, giving up all hope! So that was super helpful.
    Avocado for brunch and fish for dins tonight, I’m ignoring the kids kitkats in the cupboard!
    Thanks again everyone.

on

Hi Can you help

Do people spread their calories over the week and come out with an ‘average’ daily figure of 800 ?

This is less stressful BUT is it beneficial ?

or do they stick to 800 a day no matter what ?

(Cant see in the BSD book where it says bananas are a ‘No No’ (not as good as apples and UK fruit but not banned ))

I too get VERY depressed when I transgress so good to see I shouldn’t feel quite so bad !

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone ! Good to see new members ! Welcome One step, Mizztraveller, 54 , and Joeybee !

Just to update you on Parcelgate ….. it finally arrived , yipppppeeee ! Only took a month !! My son loved his photo books and tells me he will keep them to show to his children !!! So there you go, you are all witnesses to his intentions of making me a granny one day !!

So trying to stay upbeat despite constantly changing quarantine rules . I am going to plan a short September break when hopefully it will be quiet and warmer !!

I had to look up grape nuts , Clare and yes, I would probably give any cereal a wide berth . I agree, toasted seeds and a few nuts would be a compromise . Sunny mentioned cocoa nibs . I actually like munching on a few cocoa beans but I am a bit weird !

Cravings …. I think as several people have said, you just have to ride them out and they will subside . You will find that your tastes change and you will ‘crave’ different foods but it does not happen overnight . I can actually overlook bread now , it’s as if I don’t really see it . I found myself a little chaffle maker on Amazon. The famous make in the US is the Dash and there are loads of recipes on line . They are an occasional Sunday brunch treat but I make mine with an egg, some cream cheese, almond flour, a bit of baking powder and either psyllium husk or xanthan gum as a thickener . I don’t add sweetener and I have made some with spinach adapted from a spinach pancake recipe . They turn out a nice bright green !

My approach over the years has just been to remove processed and starchy foods which just bloat me and not think that one day I will be able to eat them again . As a serial over eater though I have to watch that I don’t over indulge on the acceptable stuff . I am still battling with that . It helps me to keep reading , watching videos, looking out for interesting recipes. Staying healthy matters so much more than a carby ‘treat’ these days and good health is not a luxury . We all owe it to ourselves to give ourselves the best chance we can especially in these crappy Covid times .

SG , I am desperately hoping that everything works out for you for your family visiting ! I am feeling positive for you ! I am sure you are busy planning days out and hopefully you won’t spend too much time cooking .

I made a massive batch of ratatouille in the slow cooker and very tasty it was . I was even thinking of whizzing up a portion to make a sauce to put with my aubergine parmigiana . I found halloumi too which is nice with peppers roasted in the oven with a few herbs, also baked eggs in roasted peppers . I love all the summer veg .
    Tomorrow is market day if we get up early enough so a little mooch and a morning coffee if the weather is fine enough . We have to be grateful for simple pleasures .
    Have a good weekend, everyone xx

• posted by SunnyB
    on

54, whilst bananas are not ‘banned’, they are high in carbs, approx half if which is sugar. So I’d say they are best approached with caution, especially in weight loss phase. Even apples are quite high in carbs, berries are a much better option. To be honest, carb-wise you’d probably be better making an ice cream from cream or full fat yogurt and only slightly sweetening if necessary.
    With regard to averaging out your calories over the week, there are bound to be days above and below the 800. As we are in this long haul, it makes sense that things will average out over time. When actively trying to drop pounds, this is the approach I take. On this WoE, whilst it’s important to be focus when it comes to day to day intake, it’s also important to keep an eye on the big picture. Try not to beat yourself up if you have a bad day …. look at how far you’ve come, to find some positive energy to move you forward.

Please log in or register to post a reply.