New starter to the BSD – Yorkshire

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by paulc1965
    on

Hi Everyone, im Paul type 2 diabetic and i started the BSD on Saturday, so far ive lost 5 lb which is great, not feeling hungry, going to loo more often lol, but struggling with the evening meals, anyone got any tips, ive got the recipe book but not keen on many of the meals. Enjoy Veg and Chicken but been having stirfrys most nights finding some of the food bland as i dont like anything too hot!, dont want to lose any momentum, any tips or support would be appreciated, happy to have a buddy to do this with?

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Paulc1965
    Great weight loss since Saturday. I am T2D but my husband isn’t. He wanted to support me on the BSD and eat the same way as me.

So we decided to follow the guidelines but not the recipes – although the ones we have tried have been really nice. We looked at how we could convert all our favourite meals to be BSD friendly. Basically all we had to do was cut out the bad carbs. So we have courgetti or cauliflower mash or cauliflower rice instead of potatoes rice or pasta. I love stir fried white cabbage with a little butter with curry and I love kale now. You will find your tastes change after cutting out sugary and starchy carbs.

I log all my food into fatsecret and it calculates the calories and carbs. It has worked so well and we really enjoy our food.

• posted by Archie22
    on

Hi Paul, l’ve just made a marinade with garlic, lime juice and a hint of chilli mixed with a little olive oil ( don’t like food too spicy myself). Works well with chicken or prawns and tastes really good

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Make friends with herbs and spices and get a little creative, to keep the interest going.
    Add lime, lemongrass, fish sauce and ginger to give a dish a slightly Thai flavour, or cumin, coriander, garlic and ginger, to invoke an Indian bent.
    Try making a rub for meat from smoked paprika, fennel or caraway and some salt and pepper – great with pork or chicken.
    Foil wrap salmon with a couple of rings of onions, a squeeze of lemon, a little butter, a few sage leafs and bake.
    Cook mixed green veg in a chicken stock, pour 3/4 away at end of cooking and add a tablespoon of cream with a squeeze of lemon or lime.
    Add mint and/or basil to salads, chopped coriander to soups and cook lamb on a bed of rosemary.
    Make a salad dressing with a spoon of yogurt, a squeeze of lime, some chopped herbs and may be some mashed roasted garlic.

Hope some of that might be of help. The BSD gives a great opportunity to think outside the box and be creative with food.

Please log in or register to post a reply.