New Maintainer Seeks Similar for Mutual Support and Help!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

For those new to, or about to reach, maintenance and are feeling a bit of trepidation. A four week thread starting 27th Jan and ending 21st Feb 2017 to support each other through our first tentative steps and keep ourselves on track. “Old timers” we’d welcome your contributions and insider knowledge too!

• posted by topcac
    on

I’m with you petal – gotta get to grips with this maintenance lark – although I am only 1lb below what I was on Xmas Eve (so basically have maintained) my weight has been REALLY up and down and I can’t take the emotional stress of that, so hoping that I can find what works to keep down the massive fluctuations (have gained and lost about 8lbs in the last four weeks)

On a 20 hour fast today – and then going to have about 500 calories in that 4 hour window – trying 5:2 of sorts….

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Hi TOPCAC, great to have you on board! I think many of us found the holiday celebration time a bit sobering, I reached 9st on 24th Dec (yay)and was only 2lbs heavier a few days later after lots of wonderful BSD friendly indulgence. However getting my over eating under control again was really tough and went back up by about another 3lbs before I really got a grip. It made me realise that because so many of the allowed foods are so calorie dense it’s very easy to over do the portion size.

My goals are to keep my snacking under control, get into a regular exercise routine and balance my calorie intake to keep my weight stable at 8st 12lb. My ultimate aim is to get fit enough to be able to come off my Bp meds altogether. Weight control, as important as it is, is only a handy indicator, overall health and fitness are the goal!

Maintainers unite!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi

Can I join you? Started the BSD December 2015. Hit original target of 6.5 stone lost in September 2016. Then lost another stone and been maintaining a total 7.5 stone loss since 17th December.

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Hello all, I’ve been maintaining since approx. November. Wobbled a bit over the last month but still now only a couple of pounds above my low. Would love to stay at this as in the past I have put it back on. I have faith I can, as I did 8 weeks 800cal May – July/Aug, then the med style, then I have fluctuated at what seems to be my new weight.
    Have managed to establish an eating pattern but I need to watch portions and we know how awful that carb monster is and don’t want to let our guard down!

• posted by Theodora
    on

Sadly I have a LONG way to go before becoming a “maintainer” (only 1 week in) but years and years ago (when my kids were tiny) I went on a really successful diet and lost 21lbs, which was all I needed to lose. I kept it off for about 4 years simply by fasting totally every Monday, allowing myself nothing but water between Sunday evening and Tuesday morning. I didn’t find it difficult at all. Looking back, I cannot imagine why I ever stopped my Monday fast as it had become a way of life. The thing that triggered it, I think, was that my O/H got a new job in a different part of the country so, before we actually made the big move, I was left alone with 3 kids from Sunday evening until Friday evening for about 9 months, and I guess I comfort ate on Monday evenings once the kids were in bed and I was all alone. ๐Ÿ™ We didn’t even have a TV in those days, so not much to do in the evenings. Didn’t take long for the pounds to start creeping on again ๐Ÿ™ So if anyone fancies fasting for, in effect, 36 hours every week, it worked for me and, as and when I finally become a maintainer (please God), this is what I shall be trying.

But, whatever your method, I really hope you are all successful. Good luck and I shall avidly watch your progress.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hello would also like to join. Started 1st May 2016 at 12 stone 3.5lbs. Reached target of 9 stone 7.25lbs on 1Oth December 2016. Dropped to 9stone 6.5lbs over Christmas and the New year. I then put on a quarter of a pound and even though I told myself it was ok I think went into panic mode because I am a serial yoyo dieter and all I could see was the weight coming back on again.

So I cut calories from 1500 on maintenance to 1200 for a week and promptly lost 2 lbs so now am 9 stone 4.75lbs. This gives a BMI of 21 which may be as low as I should go – not sure.

This is the first time since the 1960s that I have ever had a plan for maintaining my weight. Up to the BSD I thought it would magically stay off when I went back to normal eating.

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Welcome Baristagirl, I hope those of us on this thread can be an encouragement to one another and break that yo yo dieting cycle once and for all. Well done for your accomplishments.

Captainlynne, great to have your wisdom and support. I have to admit that following all the excitement of reaching my weight and health objectives I suddenly found myself feeling all at sea and in deep water now I didn’t have to follow such strict calorie guidelines! My first full week of maintaining has been successful, I don’t think a 4oz weight gain is significant!

KrysiaD, like many people I lost weight once before in a previous life and knowing when to stop was really tough, I think I got to about 7st 10lbs (I’m only 5’1″) looking for that perfect body – it was only when I saw some photos of myself at a wedding that I realised I looked awful! Ironically, at that time the low fat myth was gaining momentum and I went low fat high carb and gained weight! I look and feel best at just under 9st so that will be my new normal. I’m sure your body will find it’s new normal soon enough. I think it’s as much about feeling right as it is about looking right.

Theodora, I hope you have a really enjoyable journey with BSD, I love this way of eating and I’m constantly finding new delicious produce or food combinations especially now my tastes have changed so much! For me it got really tough at the end of week 1 but a few days later I woke up feeling absolutely amazing and haven’t looked back. I enjoy fasting too, but only short periods of time, part of my maintenance plan is to do a version of 5:2 (500 cals 2days a week). Let us know how it’s going for you.

Wishing everyone the best of everything!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

It is daunting Daisiesmum. All those years of ‘dieting’ then back to ‘normal’ eating followed by regaining the lost weight, often with interest.

Now, with BSD, we’ve been given tools for weight loss. But we’ve been given so much more. As well as all the various health benefits, were also given the tools to maintain the weight loss. We may not get the freebies that target members of various slimming clubs get. But we get (for want of a better word) hope. Hope for a slim and healthy future.

I still write everything I eat down, staying low carb but not worrying much about calories. I’m honestly not often hungry between breakfast and my evening meal. If I am, a small protein snack or a hot drink deals with that.

Last September, when I reached my original target, I worried that the scales would start moving in the wrong direction, so I also continued to weigh daily, recording that too. And still lost weight. I originally wanted some ‘wriggle room’. Just in case.

Now, after being around the same weight for a month which includes both Christmas and New Year I’m getting comfortable with the idea that this time there’s no need for the weight to cone back. Not eating the carbs etc is now an ingrained habit. No need to start eating them again.

Hope this helps. Apologies for the long post.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Since I first hit today’s weight in mid November I am maintaining I guess already, but seem to be suffering from seesaw weight gains and losses. I had a couple of days where I ate carbs this weekend and although still not eating like I used to headed over 120g of carbs on each day, and put on 6.8 pounds in two days. 2.8 have gone again after a fast day on Monday so were clearly water, and I am interested to see if badminton tonight got rid of any more glycogen and hoping for another drop tomorrow morning. Good to see so many of us on this new thread. This is uncharted territory for me, as I have always drifted back into the same old habits in the past, so I am hoping that staying focused and keeping posting will help me to stay mindful of what I need to do to maintain this weight or lose a little more.

• posted by Bissell
    on

Thanks for starting this thread Daisiesmum. I have been maintaining my weight ( after a 38 lb loss) since June. I find this almost the hardest part, at least I did at first. For me, it’s relatively easy to loose weight, everyone commenting on how well you are doing, seeing a fall in the scales most day, drawing pretty graphs, buying smaller clothes. Lovely! Then when you reach the target weight, and the novelty wears off ……..
    Well, that has always been my pattern, until now. I’ve had no desire to return to carbs. I look at them with a (possibly unhealthy) fear and loathing, never vocalised in public though, for fear of coming across as obsessive! So that’s not a problem. I pretty much avoid snacking, if I do it’s some peanut butter or nuts or slice of ham. If I’m hungry between meals I remind mys of I’m probably thirsty, so have another pint of water. I’ve found lots of lovely recipes to follow, so variety at mealtimes is not a problem. I probably eat too much fat (dairy, oil, dairy again. I’m keeping the British dairy industry going all on my own). I don’t count calories anymore. I’m keeping up with 10k steps and 5 mins. of simple exercises a day. I completely understand why some of us fast, or do 5:2, but that’s not for me. I get too relieved when I can eat and overdo it! I’m just no good at moderate!
    So, on the whole, mainly good. I do obsess about the scales though, really pleased with a loss, really despondant with a gain, even of less than a pound. So it would be great to get tips and support from everyone on here to try and establish a normal relationship with food, whatever that is. I just want to be able to maintain without thinking, I guess. Is that possible for me? I hope so!
    It’s all me, me me. Sorry! The very best of luck to everyone embarking on maintenance. This time, it’s going to work!

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

This time, it’s going to work. That’s the motto Bissell! There’s new habits that I never had before when trying to maintain. And they’re a total break of all the old mindsets. Eat that fat, yes eat it, no, you don’t need to eat because it’s mealtime, you’re not hungry yet. No, breakfast isn’t necessarily essential to a successful morning, why don’t you see if you can go longer without eating? Such contrary things for me to say these days!

• posted by Bissell
    on

Thanks Baristagirls. Ironically, that’s exactly what I would say to someone else, somehow I can’t hear it when I say it to myself!
    Happy St Dwynwen’s Day btw, she had the right idea!

• posted by topcac
    on

well the 5:2 thing didn’t really work but I’ve learned a lesson – don’t do them back to back. I did two 20 hours fasting days on Monday and Tuesday which worked fine and Monday just had 480 cals, but once I started eating last night I couldn’t stop. Ended up at around 1000 calories which is absolutely FINE I KNOW and it was stuff that was OK too like wafer thin ham and a boiled egg – you know even as I’m writing this is sounds ridiculous. Normal eating day today – will try something else at the weekend!

• posted by Norfolkgal
    on

Yes please, I would like to join in here. My original target was 9 and a half stone, as that is what I weighed before having kids, oldest daughter is now coming up to 29! I started out at 11st 2lb back in Sept and reached 9st 8lb last week after maintaining at 9 9 all over Xmas. I have been keeping to around 60 cards but not really counting calories for the last few weeks.

This morning I have gained a pound so feel I need to be strict if I am going to reach 9st 7lb. Doing a retrospective count for yesterday I was over 1600 cals, and 98 carbs, so starting to slip. Back to the regular counting. However the big problem is I have a weeks all inclusive hol coming up, we are off to Jamaica next week, so I might just have to do my best and start again properly after we get back. Any hints as to how to manage eating on holiday?

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Bissell – I think I am in the same boat. I would love to be able to maintain without thinking and have a normal relationship with food.

In my case I have to learn first what I can eat and still maintain – my new normal. My old normal just didn’t do that and caused the diabetes. So really maintenance for me consists of 3 phases.

Phase 1. Find out exactly how many calories and carbs are needed to maintain and the only way I can do that is to weigh myself and my food and log onto fat secret. Phase 2. Once I find out how much I can eat to put it into practice until it becomes automatic and I can do it effortlessly, and that is when I move into phase 3 and maintain without thinking.

How long will it take – that’s anyone’s guess. I actually haven’t a clue. Although already I have moved away from my cravings for sugary starchy carbs – which is a good sign.

Even if I didn’t get past phase 2 it wouldn’t be a disaster. Maybe I will have to accept that I will always have to keep an eye on what I am eating and my own weight to ensure that I keep on track and I will never be able to maintain without thinking. A bit like knowing that I will never be able to reverse into a parking space even if I practice for another 40 years – annoying but I can live with it.

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Good morning, I’m just checking in, I’ll write a proper catch up later today. Sorry I wasn’t able to post yesterday there wad a major problem with the broadband in my area (theories varied from a fire to a damaged cable) and I was sans internet – it’s amazing how much other stuff I accomplished though ๐Ÿ™‚

I hope everyone is finding their way. Happy BSDing all.

• posted by Norfolkgal
    on

Yesterday logged 1262 calories and 70g carbs, so back around where I am intending to be for now. Aiming at 1200 and 60 for the next few days, will be interesting to see if I lose anything at this level. My BMI is 21, so I feel I am about where I would like to be weight-wise, but would like to lose a couple more pounds for wiggle room.

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

The other thing I feel so set free with this WOL. Did anyone on here used to follow Slimming World? Probably tried a wide range if anything like me! And I would find that the slightest sabotage would put on the weight so slowly lost. It’s not like that for me with the BSD. I just either fast for a bit longer or make sure I eat a little bit of fat!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Have increased calories slightly with more nuts as I don’t want to drop below 9stone 4lbs.

Yesterday and today I wore my lovely smart winter jackets that I got in the sale at M&S for ยฃ22.50 each. It was so good to be wearing a jacket in size 10 that really fits – even better that they were in the sale. I do love being on maintenance.

Went to a fundraising thingy for the lifeboats this morning. There was a lovely selection of expensive biscuits. They used to be absolutely irresistable – but now I just glanced at them. Noted that there were some of my favourite white chocolate covered wafer biscuits on the plate but then just ingnored them and drank my black coffee.

Perhaps I have been invaded by aliens. This is so not how I used to behave pre-BSD.

• posted by topcac
    on

Hey all – halfway through my ‘challenge’ of working from home which is code for trawling the fridge every 5 minutes. /but I seem to be coping well – went for a work out mid morning to stop the munchies and that seems to have dulled my appetite for now. I’ve eaten half a dozen wafer thin ham slices so far – so doing well. Had 1120 cals yesterday and about 70g carbs – would like to keep that a bit lower most days – fasting at the weekend should help

Happy Australia Day to those in Oz xx

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Greetings everyone, I am back in internet circulation following the local glitch yesterday. It felt very strange indeed, I have to admit I was a little shocked by how much I depend on this wonderful technology not just for business, but for information and entertainment (read “time-wasting”). As I said earlier it was amazing how much I got done – I moved all my furniture around… and then back again because I didn’t like it, but ended up with a very tidy clean lounge indeed! Just to confirm, my back is better now and moving my couch didn’t do any further damage!

Great to catch up on the recent posts and learn about different strategies. I’m making small changes, I’m so in love with this way of eating that in itself is a source of joy and I don’t want to do anything to jeopardise that enjoyment. I’m only 10 days into maintenance but have kept to the exact weight every morning so far. I have been weighing myself in lbs because my scales break pounds down into 5ths of a lb, but I have now switched to stones and pounds as I don’t think I need to be quite so precise. My aim will be to stay around 8st 12lb.

KrysiaD, I know what you mean about being invaded by aliens. There are so many things I used to love and would have once eaten mountainous amounts of that now do not interest me in the least. One of the things I am enjoying about maintenance is having the ability to explore new things without having to be so careful about calories. I have found that some of the things I was looking forward to have been a bit disappointing. One strange conundrum is alcohol, I still enjoy an occasional glass of wine or a snifter of something stronger, but I really DO NOT like the way it makes me feel! I can only assume it’s because the BSD leaves me feeling SO good all by itself and alcohol ruins the balance?.

Norfolkgal – Jamaica, wow! Is it one of those all inclusive holidays? If so, there will almost certainly be BSD friendly food available. I know the temptations of buffets can feel a bit overwhelming. On another forum someone wrote a lovely post about holidays suggesting that making experiencing new smells, sights, sounds, people, cultures, music, etc etc a primary objective of the vacation and putting the eating bit way down the list. In other words food is only one of many ways to have an awesome experience on holiday.

Bissell – maintaining without thinking is my aim too, surely there must be a point at which this way of life just becomes natural. I’m experimenting with various things at the moment, this week I’m not counting calories (except on my two restriction days) but I am still occasionally weighing foods like cheese or nuts until I get a feel for how much is enough!

Well done everyone, let’s keep the faith and enjoy this wonderful lifestyle and ALL its health benefits!

• posted by Norfolkgal
    on

Thanks Daisiesmum. You are quite right to put my upcoming holiday in perspective. Yes its all inclusive, and I’m looking forward to trying some new BSD friendly foods. There will be plenty of swimming and walking too I hope, not to mention dancing and music in the evenings. So no I’m not going to worry too much about calories, just try to be sensible with carbs, and take it easy with the rum – no big deal as not much of a drinker really! We also have something lovely to look forward to on our return – we went to see a new dog last night, and the present owner is happy to keep him for us until after we get back – he’s a gorgeous loveable scruffy black poodle, only 7 months old – so lots of long walks and doggy fun to come.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Krysia, you are doing better than me at avoiding the biscuits. I was at a meeting with work yesterday lunchtime, but didn’t get the chance to have my lunch early. I had a cup of earl grey and succumbed to a Club Orange biscuit (which I didn’t really enjoy, it tasted so sugary rather than nice) and a chocolate cream biscuit from one of the packets like the one you mention. I did briefly consider the white chocolate wafer, but seem to remember it always tasted a bit too sweet for me even before getting used to dark chocolate.

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi all
    Since October last year when I hit my goal weight, my maintenance goal has been to float between 56 – 58kg. I still weigh myself every day and yesterday’s weigh in showed 58.3kg on the scales. I hadn’t eaten breakfast and wasn’t particularly hungry so I thought I’d start a short fast. So dinner on Wednesday night was the last time I ate and I’ve only had water, fruit tea and my home made bone broth.

I’ve continued with my daily walk (2 hours yesterday and 1 hour this morning) and I’m still not feeling hungry or lacking in energy, I just feel normal.

It’s interesting, a bit like poking a bear to see what happens!

Originally I thought I’d do a 24 hour fast and eat dinner last night, but I still felt good so decided to continue till breakfast today, but I’m still good after 36 hours, so I’m going to have some more bone broth at lunch today and eat some dinner tonight. That will make it a 48 hour fast, my longest so far.

I’m used to 16 hour fasts, but it’s interesting that I still don’t feel that hungry and I’ve not lost any energy.
    The bonus is that after 24 hours of weighing myself, I’m down to 56.8kg.

I’ve been listening to Jimmy Moore’s and Jason Fung’s podcast called Fasting Talk so I was confident that I wasn’t doing my health any damage.

Thought I’d share this in case it is useful to any other maintainers out there.
    Stay well everyone.
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Good morning my fellow maintainers!

I struggled a bit yesterday, I allowed myself “a little bit extra” then it became difficult to put the genie back in the bottle… I didn’t go completely overboard, but I knew I was eating food my body didn’t need and that in itself had an impact on my overall sense of wellbeing. One of the many things I love about BSD is that the food is so nutritious that I generally feel satisfied for hours after eating. My snack-monster knows I won’t eat sugary carbs, but still occasionally sends me to the cheese or nuts! This morning I find myself a whole pound heavier than yesterday. Fortunately today is one of my 500cals days.

What I realise is that not only is it much easier to exercise willpower in the first place than it is to regain control after letting go, but that there is an enormous sense of joy, accomplishment and wellbeing in saying “no” to the excess before it starts. That’s a convoluted way of saying I learned a valuable lesson about myself yesterday!

Ok, enough navel-gazing don’t you think? We have been given a fantastic set of tools with BSD and I am very grateful for the team who put it all together. I feel as if I’ve been released from some life-long diet conspiracy forcing me to eat tasteless pap in order to be socially acceptable! Thanks too to all forum contributors providing support and humour along the way.

Have a brilliant BSD Friday everyone!

• posted by topcac
    on

Hello all and welcome to Friday afternoon – yippee!

Interesting to read your post Linda about fasting. I’m going to try and go ‘without’ this weekend – I’ve chosen the weekend because I don’t know how it will affect me. Will check back on Monday.

Haven’t weighed since Tuesday – longest ever on this plan ๐Ÿ™‚ Wanted to wait until Monday but may weigh tomorrow because I’m interested what the fast will do weight wise. Ohh – I make things so complicated!!

I went all inclusive Norfolkgal to Jamaica – as an island it’s lovely, I did an island tour which took in a rum distillery – if you get a chance it’s a great day out. Also went to Dunnes River Falls – also great but only if you are good on your pins as the stones can be slippery. Have a fabulous time, if nothing else lots of opportunity to swim and walk (and have your hair in corn rows……maybe not!) and there was bags of choice food wise (although I did come back the size of a small barn but I wasn’t BDS-ing then LOL)

Bye for now all xxx

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi topcac
    I ended up forgetting to take my bone broth to work and survived quite easily on passionfruit tea, water and a teaspoon of salt. Had a smaller than usual dinner last night which made it 48 hours of fasting and felt like I could still have gone on for more as I wasn’t that hungry but I was mindful of Jason Fung’s advice that if your ribs are showing then you shouldn’t do the really long fasts.
    I weighed again this morning and was 56.3kg so I lost a total of 2kg, but I’m expecting a bit of that to go back on again.
    Be careful with the cake, I heard Jimmy Moore say that he had a communion disc in church one day and he started feeling funny and had to break his fast early but he’d been going for 7 days by then.
    Good luck, let us know how you go.
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I use a teaspoon of marmite in water when doing my fasts as liquid only. I keep meaning to get some bones and make some bone broth, but haven’t got round to it yet. Do you add salt and pepper? Are you allowed to put anything else in for flavourings?

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Mixnmatch
    Yes, roast the bones first with whatever fat and meat they have on them for about 1 hour at 200 deg c then transfer to a stock pot. Add 1 onion, a couple of sticks of celery, smashed cloves of garlic and some salt and peppercorns and some bay leaves. The recipe also said to add a cut up carrot, but I didn’t have one so left it out. I also added some tumeric only because I know it is good for me. Cover completely with water and just bring to a boil before turning it right down to low and gently simmer for 24 hours. Strain and put into containers for later. I freeze mine and get it out when I need it. I also picked off all the meat before throwing everything else out and it was yummy. Use whatever bones you have at hand and feel free to mix them all up. My first one was lamb bones and the leftover Christmas ham bone together.
    Good luck
    Linda

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I’ll have to get some and have a go. Sounds like I would like it, although it probably isn’t as portable as my squeezy marmite.

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

I hope everyone had a successful BSD day today. I certainly did, it was my intermittent fasting day so not much food. Having done the weight loss BSD I have come to enjoy that empty feeling and even today with a meal of around 250cals (2 eggs and a few nuts) I felt like I’d over eaten! It was been a real game changer for me to learn that it’s actually quite healthy to fast. In the past one of my concerns when trying to lose weight was “am I eating enough?” fearing the so called starvation mode. I am unlikely to attempt a longer fast due to my medication, but intermittent fasting is a clear winner with me and I have been doing it for over four years.

I found myself with some time on my hands this morning and so decided to go for a walk in the crisp winter air, it was so lovely I didn’t want to stop, so I carried on walking taking in a couple extra small blocks – and that was after I’d already done my HIIT and spent 20 mins on my rebounder!

It’s interesting hearing various strategies, experiences and burgeoning passions; walking used to be a passion of mine, but in recent years I have done less and less, so it was lovely today to reignite the flame.

Keeeeep BSDing!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Mixnmatch – its interesting that the biscuit just tasted sugary and not nice like it used to but I am envious that you could stop at just one. It is the fear that maybe I couldn’t that stops me from eating even one.

Daisiesmum – I love walking also and I am doing so much more now. It is lovely walking in the crisp winter air although there were a couple of days last week when it was so cold that I didn’t enjoy my walks at all. I am really feeling that the muscles in my legs are getting stronger and I am sure that the walking is really contributing to my feeling of well-being.

• posted by Bissell
    on

KrystaiD and Daisiesmum, I certainly agree about the walking. As I’ve got a dog I often do the same walks and I notice I can do the inclines easier and walk for further. And quicker! Last week, when all was fog and ice where I live, we drove above the fog a couple of miles and I found part of a forest I’d never been in before. Brilliant emerald green moss covering the floor and perfect blue skies. It was stunning! I wouldnt have been surprised if a fairy skipped in to view!
    Still struggling with maintenance though. 0.4 lb up today when I thought I had done so well yesterday. Maybe I just need to accept that I have to weigh everything forever. ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Bissell – we have two Labradors and have also noticed the inclines are easier and I can also walk much faster. There must be so much more stuff that is improving but we can’t see it or measure it.

My feeling is that on maintenance the scales will move up and down a bit and that’s probably what happens to someone who has never dieted and has always been slim. I don’t actually know that – but it does seem likely.

I have decided to keep between 9 stone 4lbs and 9stone 6lbs and take action if it looks like I will go higher or lower. It seems to be working brilliantly. 0.4lb doesn’t seem a big variation and might be caused by a number of things like water retention or slow transit.

I have accepted that I may have to enter food on fat secret and weigh the high calorie stuff for at least a while longer. If I suddenly and magically find I can judge the calories in a lump of cheddar and remember what I have eaten earlier in the day so I can calculate it in my head – I can stop weighing and logging. I know people can do that but I do wonder if they are the same people who can also judge the width of their car and can reverse into a small space.

I do hold out hope that one day I will be able to do that even though I have failed dismally for the last 40 years.

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Oh Bissell, walking with the fairies, what a beautiful image to start my day ๐Ÿ™‚ Before I went to bed last night, without realising, I found myself planning a long walk for today. I usually do a Saturday trip to the local convenience store (5 mins walk each way) but yesterday evening I caught myself mentally calculating that if I walk to the superstore, passing other “local” versions on the way I could extend my walk to about an hour… not exactly glamorous I know, and nowhere near as romantic as a walk in the clouds with the fairies, but hey… you have to start somewhere!

Norfolkgal – I just re-read your post about your trip to the Caribbean. I have a few family connections in Jamaica, so am always interested to hear where people are going. What a delightful treat you have awaiting your return! One of my friends has a gorgeous black poodle, I have been known to borrow her from time to time for a doggy walk!

My weight was back to a smidge below my target this morning, so I’m happy with that. I haven’t been tempted by sugary carbs on the whole, but I did have a TINY (30g) bite of fruit cake the other day, I can’t say I particularly enjoyed it which is amazing because previously I could devour an entire fruit cake in a couple of days. It may only be coincidental but a day or so later I had diarrhoea. I have been avoiding gluten as I have a suspicion that I am a bit sensitive to it due to an auto immune condition. Like others I no longer enjoy the sluggish feeling high carb induces and don’t want to take that risk.

I hope everyone has a very enjoyable BSD friendly day. I shall be out for my walk later, despite the rain. Who was it that said “there’s no such thing as bad weather, only bad levels of protective clothing” ? Well, I’ve got all the gear and some idea ๐Ÿ™‚ Happy BSDing!

• posted by Doodledootoo
    on

Morning all. So last night dinner with work was OK. I ate too much portion wise but didn’t touch the carby food. Wasn’t tempted. Was asked once about not eating the rice. I said just don’t fancy it and the conversation moved on. Dessert placed in front of me so I ate the strawberry and that was it! Having not had any alcohol since December I treated myself to a cider which lasted a long time. Also 3 glasses of wine. Oh how my head hurts this morning. Had plenty of water but still don’t feel good. Breakfast this morning I avoided at the hotel but picked up a protein pot in M&S, 2 eggs and spinach. I couldn’t believe that options like this existed! (I live in the west of Ireland and don’t have an M&S anywhere close). Had a bit of a walk around London. Trying to get myself active. It’s something I really struggle with for no other reason other than I can’t seem to get motivated.
    Good luck everyone over the weekend. You make me feel I’m not alone on this journey.

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Well done doodledootoo! I find that if I don’t make a song and I’m-on-a-diet-can’t-eat-that kind of dance about food most people don’t even notice what I’m not eating, or care for that matter. I discovered the M&S protein pots during my Christmas travels, well done Marks’s!

I totally get the alcohol after effects. I cannot tolerate it like I used to… one glass of wine has me swinging from the chandeliers these days and two glasses would probably see me singing Show Me The Way To Go Home from under the table ๐Ÿ™‚ At least I’m a cheap date…. anyone? Ha ha!

Getting active has come slowly to me too, but I want to get fit enough to be able to come off my Blood Pressure meds altogether, so I have a great incentive.

Keeeeep BSDing!

• posted by Bissell
    on

Me too Daisiesmum, I’m such an alcohol lightweight these days! (I used to be a publican) I’ve got some serious drinking mates coming next weekend, they haven’t seen me since I’ve lost the weight, so I’m hoping they will be suitably shocked! They will be uber unimpressed with my lack of drinking though!

By the bye, I’ve tried a few of the Tom Kerridge recipes and enjoyed them very much. But the portions are huge! (ie even I feel full up) interestingly, a few of his recipes are reproduced in an article in the Sainsbury magazine, which gives the calories as well as the carbs. TK only gives the carbs. And the main meals are around 900 – 1100 cals! No wonder the portions seemed generous. Just for occasional use, I think!

Enjoy the sunshine if you have it and best of luck everyone.

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Good morning.

Tom K’s book is getting a fair amount of publicity in the media which is good, the low carb message is getting through bit by bit!

I hope everyone is looking forward to a great day. I’m going to friends for lunch, they know I don’t eat sugar or carbs and are interested in my new lifestyle so it should be fairly easy to navigate! More than all that, they are great friends and a lot of fun ๐Ÿ™‚

Happy BSD Sunday all.

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Good morning all, I hope everyone is enjoying their maintenance journey. I had a tremendous day yesterday, when I arrived at my friend’s house for lunch, she was waiting with an array of ingredients ready and asked me if I would show her how to cook a BSD friendly meal!!! I was thrilled, there was also nuts and cheese to snack on later! I was able to explain a bit about BSD without bombarding them with information – the evidence speaks for itself!

Happy BSD Monday everyone.

• posted by topcac
    on

Morning all – maintaining nicely (actually a pound off but that’s fine for me as I do tend to fluctuate quite a bit). Did a bit of experimental fasting this weekend which was surprisingly easy, and I got LOADS done as I saved myself about 3 hours of cooking, eating and clearing up! Wedding invites ordered, guest list prepped, wedding cake ordered, disco playlist started – it’s all coming together….now for an outfit – not as easy as you’d think!!!

Also went for a swim, four walks (with the dogs) and some HIIT while I was waiting for the kettle to boil on the several cups of herbal tea I had!

Have a good day all xx

• posted by Bissell
    on

Morning all from rainy South Wales. Jeez, it’s horrible out there today! The dog is hiding under my duvet, pretending he can’t hear me getting ready for our walk, so I’ll give him another 5 minutes.

That’s great Daisiesmum, how lovely to be able to pass on the word, as it were! I have a (slender) friend who always wants to know all about the BSD but am aware of the others (less slender) rolling their eyes, so I have to play it down a bit. I am aware I can come across as smug!

Out of interest (well, of interest to me anyway) I had the apple and porridge breakfast from the recipe book yesterday as a treat. I haven’t had porridge since I started back in April. It was yummy! I rather undid the good work for the rest of the day by eating half a tub of mascarpone. That’s over 500 calories!!!! Took about 2 minutes to eat. However, I still maintained/lost a couple of ounces so I’m happy.

Not exactly a well balanced diet nor a good relationship with food though!

Happy Monday everyone.

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Good morning BSD ers.

It has been two weeks since I reached my goal and my weight is maintaining well. I’m eating what feels like TONS of food and often feel I have overeaten! I have actually lost a little weight this week (less than a lb) that’s ok but I don’t want to go below 8st 10lb – that’s where I begin to look very gaunt (I only did that once, many years ago).

More important than weight, other health indicators are good too including my Blood pressure which is staying nice and low even though I’m only taking half the dose of BP meds I was on before.

I am making progress in increasing exercise and activity. Walking more is my main aim, I’ve dusted off my mp3 player and updated my playlists. What a difference walking to music makes when I’m on my own! Of course there’s my trusty rebounder; as well as using it for my HIIT exercises, when I’m at home I set a timer every hour and I get on my bouncer and do 50 jumping jack’s!

Even now I’m still amazed by the tastiness of BSD friendly food. Today I’m having pork belly slow roasted in the oven to create perfect crackling! I notice Verano has started a new thread for recipe ideas. I also find Pinterest a great resource.

Happy BSD ing everyone.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Daisiesmum – I have noticed that since I upped the amount of time I walked (that is proper faster walking rather than the ambling around the shops sort of walking) I feel that I am building muscle strength and stamina.

I just feel more alert, stronger, less tired and my heavy work load is much easier to cope with.

Initially it took so much energy to just do the BSD. When I added the extra walking at the beginning of December I felt so tired and got really behind in my admin work. But now I feel strong, alert and truly fantastic and well able to keep running my little business while effortlessly keeping to maintenance BSD and doing the extra exercise.

I didn’t expect to feel like this at almost 69.

• posted by topcac
    on

Had a massive blip on Monday when I downed 11 chocolates but that’s way behind me now. Did another 500 cal day on Tuesday with two ‘normal’ days yesterday and today and have planned my meals for next week – two 500 cal days on Sunday and Thursday. Need to spread them out, I’ve discovered, otherwise disaster strikes. Haven’t weighed in since Monday so going for my first full week without weighing – see how that goes!

Have been very weepy all week but that’s hormonal – damn them!

• posted by Norfolkgal
    on

Hi All
    We are back from Jamaica – great holiday – good hotel, lovely beach and gorgeous weather. Bonus is I weighed in this morning at exactly the same as before we left, 9st 9lb, so I must have made sensible choices in the restaurant! There were lots of good BSD friendly options – cooked breakfasts, huge range of salads, cold meats, cheeses etc. I did sample a few desserts, fruits, a little wine and some rum, but didn’t go mad. Lots of swimming & sunbathing, so very relaxing.
    Our new dog is lovely, just a big black fluff-ball at the moment. I can see he will need a lot of attention, plus several walks a day, so that’s all good too.
    We have nasty wet sleety weather here today, I am so looking forward to the spring.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Norfolkgal
    Your holiday sounds wonderful and how nice that there was so much BSD friendly food.

Your new dog sounds lovely. My dogs are 6 and 11 and they do get us out on days like today when the weather is horrible. I love the puppy stage – except for having to limit their walking for the first few months to protect their joints, and the chewing. One of my Labradors destroyed our phone and the other one ate the connection box to the phoneline and disconnected our phoneline and internet..

We were hoping to go to Oxborough hall tomorrow to walk around the grounds and see the snowdrops but the weather looks to be really horrible so we may go later in the week. We are looking forward to going as they now allow dogs in the grounds which is great as we love taking our dogs with us.

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Hi all! I haven’t been very good at posting on here regularly, but I have been diligently learning more about how to maintain my accomplishments on BSD. I’m happy to report my weight has remained stable at just under 9st, minimal normal fluctuations, if anything it has crept down slightly over the 3weeks or so. I may readjust my normal to 8st 10lbs instead of 8st 12lbs! My blood pressure remains nice and low too, Dr said if that happened I could try coming off BP meds completely (under supervision) ๐Ÿ™‚ I have a full range of blood tests next week and will find out other vitals after that!

Very pleased with maintenance, I’ve had a birthday with plenty treats (all BSD friendly), a funeral (friend’s Dad ๐Ÿ™ ) where the only BSD food was the innards of the sarnies and pies. Various cake related events have come and gone, the only one I indulged at was when someone specifically made a gluten free cake for my birthday (forgetting that I was sugar free too), I had a small piece and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I am eating so much delicious food I keep getting on the scales thinking I must have blown it But nope, still good, hopefully bloods will be exemplary.

NORFOLK GAL, glad u had great holiday, well done on food/weight. How is it going with your puppy? What’s his name?

KRYSIA did you make it to Oxborourgh Hall? Weather is so mild for Feb!

I’ve been looking up low carb pancakes for Shrove Tuesday – 28th Feb, rather fancying the look of the chickpea flour ones.

Take care and keeeeeep BSD ing.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Daisiesmum – yes we waited for the better weather and went to Oxburgh Hall on Tuesday. It was a fabulous walk and we saw lots of snowdrops. It was great that we could take the dogs in the cafe.

Have been off work this week and should have been doing my admin to get ready for classes next week but instead have done absolutely loads of walking and other exercises. So today am frantically catching up with admin and lesson planning.

Tomorrow we are off to Sheringham park for another lovely walk with the dogs and coffee in the cafe.

You are so right that the food is lovely. For dinner tonight I had a lovely frittata.

Hope your blood tests go well next week.

Please log in or register to post a reply.