New life choice for determined alcoholic

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Oh and by the way….Christmas is only 14 Sundays away!

I Love Christmas.

Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by EC
    on

well,
    I wrote a rather lengthy post here yesterday morning and t has also disappeared! (technology gremlins I guess!)

So….I think I wrote…..

Thanks to bluebell and Kazz for sharing your stories…incredibly moving… and well done for making such huge choices. BB you are giving your daughter a great gift…..and you will share the benefits, I’m sure

Allie, hope the bruises are healing gracefully and Aseconautumn, hope this week is a gentler one

Heather and Kazz…well done on great losses. I did lose (cant remember who asked) app 2.5 kg (app 6lbs) on the fmd (prolon) and 6-7cm off my waist since I last measured, so just need to keep it off and then some!

The weekend was a bit of a minefield for me and I succumbed (like you Mary also to wine) a few times. My OH was back for just three days before heading interstate again this morning, so am not going to beat myself up about it…now back in the driver’s seat of BSD! (but noticeably hungrier today after bread yesterday, bugger it!)

Wishing all you amazing humans a great week. It’s early Spring here, which means longer, sunnier days interspersed with wild winds and showers (possibly more snow!)…but it is very beautiful with all the fruit blossom and wattles, jonquils and daffodils…not to mention the rhododendrons and hellebore coming into bloom

Liz, if you are in a place to read up on your mates, I’m sure I speak for all in sending a multitude of good thoughts and much love to you and Kev
    the kettle’s always on!
    xxxx

• posted by EC
    on

well, bugger!!
    I wrote a rather lengthy post here yesterday morning and t has also disappeared! (technology gremlins I guess!)

So….I think I wrote along these lines (but of course, much has transpired since…..

Thanks to bluebell and Kazz for sharing your stories…incredibly moving… and well done for making such huge choices. BB you are giving your daughter a great gift…..and you will share the benefits, I’m sure

Allie, hope the bruises are healing gracefully and Aseconautumn, hope this week is a gentler one…I had a fall while attempting to run in (long) work trousers with the dog this afternoon….so bruised ribs and gravel rash!

Heather and Kazz…well done on great losses. I did lose (cant remember who asked) app 2.5 kg (app 6lbs) on the fmd (prolon) and 6-7cm off my waist since I last measured, so just need to keep it off and then some!

The weekend was a bit of a minefield for me and I succumbed (like you Mary also to wine) a few times. My OH was back for just three days before heading interstate again this morning, so am not going to beat myself up about it…now back in the driver’s seat of BSD! (but noticeably hungrier today after bread yesterday, bugger it!)

Wishing all you amazing humans a great week. It’s early Spring here, which means longer, sunnier days interspersed with wild winds and showers (possibly more snow!)…but it is very beautiful with all the fruit blossom and wattles, jonquils and daffodils…not to mention the rhododendrons and hellebore coming into bloom

Liz, if you are in a place to read up on your mates, I’m sure I speak for all in sending a multitude of good thoughts and much love to you and Kev
    the kettle’s always on here in the far south!!
    xxxx

• posted by Heather 44
    on

Morning campers!

EC well done on that amazing loss! And succumbing occasionally is always going to happen- its what you do after that matters. You are soldiering on (to stick with Allie’s Army vision!) and carrying on regardless so that it what is more important. Keep on! Mary I cannot believe that Christmas is that close! I have lost the best part of this year to this damn injury so it feel like it should still be early summer! However in this part of the world it is most definitely autumn and grey and chilly to boot. Cue more fires and warmer sweaters. I love Christmas too- not really into gifts or anything as I’ve got older but love the idea of the spirit of Christmas, the sounds, the smells, the tastes, putting up the tree- all of that! Also Mary yes they did check my calcium and it was completely normal. It was just a daft accident and of course it had to happen to me! It has been a very long and painful road and its not over yet but I am so much better and thankful for that. One of the reasons I decided to do this diet now is because I am still off work and have time to focus on something. Also my work- like most I suspect- is loaded with sweet things and treats and filled with people who do not try to take care of themselves. Including a couple of T2 diabetics which I think I mentioned before.

On that note the bad news here is that my sister came by for coffee yesterday and told me she had been at the doc in the morning and has been told her blood pressure is very high and she is officially T2 diabetic. She has been sailing close to that wind for years so it wasn’t a shock but I’m very sad for her. Her doctor has given her 4 weeks grace to make changes and if she doesn’t its medication. The good news is that she is clear she does not want medication and says she is willing to do anything to avoid that. So she left here with my copy of MM’s BSD book, and her ears ringing with advice and support and encouragement! Whether she wants it or not! Whether or not she takes it up is up to her. However she has had recurrent ulcerations of her foot in the last year and I suspect if she does not make changes she will be at risk of losing her foot in the fullness of time. She also has recurrent UTI’s and has been told this is purely because of her blood sugars. If that isn’t a wake up call then what is! The other encouraging news though is that her doctor told her to CUT BACK on the carbs and eat a bit more protein. Not 100% BSD advice but certainly a step in the right direction and a sign that there are some in the NHS who are paying attention!

Not much to report food and eating wise. Still keeping on and seem to have settled happily into the routine of two meals a day instead of three, completely by accident I might add. My partner is amazed and impressed by my motivation, but I think I am taking credit where its not due- I’m not finding it hard at all! No hunger and very few cravings which seem to be lessening by the day.

Advice please friends- we are having friends over on Saturday for a small get together. Because we have no kitchen we are just going to order pizza in and there will definitely be alcohol! My question is- how should I approach this? Should I make sure I eat before everyone arrives? Eat my food at the same time as they are having pizza? Or give in and have a slice of pizza? Frightened that makes me fall of the wagon though! I will not be having wine but was thinking about one small gin in a large glass.

Thoughts dear Army?

• posted by alliecat
    on

Heather – Good morning! I’m happy that you enjoyed my “mind” painting. If it helps
    anyone, I’m pleased that I thought to post it. Will be back later (after I mainline some
    coffee!) but I I just finished reading your SOS regarding pizza nite….That one is a particular
    challenge, I’m afraid. Someone will undoubtedly be along with a better strategy than
    mine, but this the only thing that immediately comes to mind: With pizza, I think it’s
    the heavenly smell that’s the hardest to resist, not actual hunger itself. It’s so easy,
    particularly after your spectacular recent wt. loss, to get into the mindset that “I deserve
    it”. Same thing for the wine..”If I’m not eating the pizza, I deserve the treat”. I think what
    I would try to do is have a hard boiled egg or 2 before the party, and also place an order
    for a large mixed green salad, perhaps something with a bit of cheese in it, or some
    lean ham? If I come up with anything else, I’ll pop back in. Your party sounds great,
    and will get your mind off the reno for awhile. That’s terrible news about your
    sister..I hope that she embraces the idea of being diet buddies with you! There is
    so much knowledge about T2D on other threads, if you decide to share the idea of
    blogging on these Forums, with her.

Have a wonderful day!

Allie

• posted by Searchingrockpools
    on

Oh Nonna Mary… Christmas is that soon… I’m afraid this Mother Christmas has not even started any Christmas gift buying…
    Oh the eating, drinking and festivities…
    That is still ahead of us though, not quite as imminent as your Pizza night though Heather. I like Allie’s suggestion of the eggs; I also thought of some lean chicken breast with a salad with an olive oil balsamic dressing bit of parmesan. Heck if you make a big salad you can share it so you don’t feel the only one eating healthy… the alcohol bit, well i only know me, and as witnessed by my last weekends shenanigans, my brain short circuits and logic and common sense, good decision making goes out the window with the addition of alcohol. I would end up eating all the pizza crusts, after having eaten well so i’m not sure how you go with the drinking bit.
    I was watching the box tonight and people were drinking. I thought, oh a wine that’d be nice. But I had to have a reality check and immediately say NO!
    The satans piss is my undoing… empty calories and loading up my already fatty liver.I’m not much help sorry Heather, unless you have a large glass with a very small pour of wine topped up with soda water. The fizzy tends to fill you up…that is all I have unless you just think the wine has shower drain gloop in it???

I hope your sister is ok, and realises the health crisis that is looming ahead of her if she doesn’t act quickly. It must be so hard to watch on.

Well done on the weight loss EC, carry on the good work. I love the smell of your Spring post. All the flowers and blossoms blooming.

Allie I love the mental imagery of your pen/ink and wash creation. It sounds beautiful. You always know just what to say to everyone. You are very wise and intuitive in life. Thank you.
    I hope you are looking much less racoon and quasimodo like too.
    Kazza well done on your loss too.
    I hope you are Ok now Nonna, after your fall too.

Sorry if I have missed people, sending my best to all.

One more day of work before a week of school”holidays”…
    Searching Rockpools xxoo
    PS
    Hugs all round on Hump day!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Thank you, Kazzi, for finding something of value in my little painting. It brings joy to
    my heart to think of it posted on your fridge! What I meant by color guard….Usually
    out in front of the Army line is someone carrying their national flag, as well as another
    carrying an identifying banner for the particular branch of the service, i.e., army, marines,
    airforce, navy, etc. The rear guard usually refers to camp followers, who see to the needs
    of the fallen, administering bandages, food and the like, in support of the troops. I
    like your additions to my vision, as well as nonna Mary’s request for a white charger
    to carry Jovis onward with us. Everything I’ve read about him makes me want to give
    him a hug. Let’s task him with rounding up all of the O/H’s for this duty!
    EC – Thank you for sharing your delight in the Spring sunshine! I can almost smell
    the clean fresh air. Ive had a momentary fantasy of striding forward into the wind
    with you on our morning walks, with Jim and Michael meeting up somewhere to compare
    notes on our histories of disregarding the rules and rejecting “groupthink, and authority” of
    all kinds. I can feel the heat of a blush creeping up my neck right now. Last night I received
    my unwarranted wake up call at the usual 3:30 a.m., and read thru your back posts. They
    are all charming. Thank you.
    Searchinginrockpools – Thank you for seeing me in such genuine terms. I feel blessed.
    I think of myself as an “old stewing hen” just wanting to gather up our beautiful chicks
    and protect them from harm πŸ™‚
    Love to All

Allie

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

I don’t know if this will help Heather….but I would eat before everyone gets there…then try not to eat until everyone else has had some. That way you may only get to eat one slice! As for drinking…I am on fizzy water at the moment. If you add a little lemon juice, no one would know it isn’t prosecco or other wine without tasting it…so perhaps you could try that. Or you could have one day blow out…I can talk I had THREE!…but after working so hard it would be wasteful. Especially as you are not finding it difficult. I know you can weather this one social day! I find it helps to come on here and read all the recent posts, not just ours. I always feel stronger when I do.

I hope you manage to get through the day.

Christmas for me has always been special since I met my Jovis who loves the spirit of Christmas (favourite film…It’s a Wonderful Life). He never had much as a kid and we always made sure our girls were more interested in being a family at that time. One Christmas morning, they were 10 and 7, and I had to remind them there were presents downstairs! My nephew who is only 14 years younger than me, had been up since 4 and still does to this day (he is now 46). I haven’t made any present purchases and will only buy what they want. I don’t believe in tit for tat buying. My money is too precious for that. They all come to my house around midday and have their meal, leaving with goodie bags of food around 6ish. Then Jovis and I settle down for the evening and discuss how lucky we are!

Gosh I have gone on a bit. Sorry…If everyone would only realise that we can love each other all year around, the world would be a much lovelier place.

Allie my Jovis is a very remarkable man and feels that he knows all of you very well. He loves the support you give and the advice and is our biggest fan. We should make him an honorary Captain or something! A little background to my lovely man. His father was a Polish refugee after WW2. A broken man who was 20 years senior to Joe’s mum. Jovis’ mother had been ill for years and doted on her only son. She died when he was 14 and it was as if his father didn’t know he was there. He didn’t mistreat him, but didn’t give him money for clothes or food. Jovis had a paper round and supported himself from then until I met him when he was 22. We knew within days that we would be together forever, and so far we are. This is a maudlin tale, but true. His father died suddenly just before we were married leaving a load of debts and as far as we knew no money (he had been made redundant so we don’t know where it went). He had lapsed his insurance policies so they were void. We ended up spending our mortgage deposit on his funeral and Jovis was rehoused to a high rise flat, where we spent our first 2 years of wedded bliss. There were prostitutes on the floors above us and a Paedophile (we found out later) in the corner flat. The lift would be used all hours and the people upstairs used to have fights (physical) at all hours….it was a nightmare. The last 38 years have been lovely lol. So there is a little background to my remarkable man, hope it helps you to visualise him. Plus he is drop dead gorgeous to boot lol. He is also 65 on 27th of this month.

Well I have written a lot and you must all be bored by now. So au revoir mon amies….see you soon!

Lots of love
    Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Sorry I haven’t replied to everyone, we are getting too many! Strength in numbers people.

Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by Hello 66
    on

Hi Comrades , I’ve been missing in action for the past day or 2 , and it has been action packed , with babysitting Grandies , Social events etc ., I’ve briefly skimmed through all your interesting posts , Allie loved the painting , Canada Liz did set up a Facebook page to invite anyone who wanted to share photos , just had a look back its Bsugar Diet , if you wish to share your painting , would love love love to see it , more than in my imaginative mind 😘
    I do hope your bruising has toned down in colour now , and is looking more like a pale water colour than an oil !

Heather 44 : My plan for you for Sat nights party would be for you to make a cauliflower pizza ahead , then u just heat it up prior to everyone else eating , and enjoy eating pizza along with everyone else , & if you can handle a gin and tonic ( or 2 ! ) without going crazy ,it will still be a lowish cal and carb night , and u won’t have to feel deprived , win win I say !
    I’ve made the cauliflower pizza base a few times now , and have really enjoyed it every time , I’ve topped mine with salami etc ., I’ve tried smoked salmon feta cheese etc ., also yummy , I’ve also made a veg . only , topping being tomato thinly sliced , garlic , red onion thinly sliced , then added basil leaves , red capsicum , a few thinly sliced olives , grated cheese .
    You can measure out your toppings to suit how many carbs you want for the topping , then decide how much you intend eating , very easy to keep track of cal. & Carb count per serve .
    One of our little Grandies is Type 1 diabetic , so it’s important to work out really exact carbs when making it on a pizza night with Family 😊
    Sounds like you have given your sister all the right advice to deal with her Type 2 Diabetes diagnosis , do hope she manages to get on board with low carb eating , as she sure has got some nasty signs that higher than normal blood sugars have already been reading their nasty heads with her , namely the foot ulcers & recurrent UTI ‘s .
    So glad to hear her Doc . is giving her a chance to change eating habits , lowering carbs etc ., before rushing her onto the Medication merry go round !
    Here in Oz a few Drs are stepping outside the Govt guidelines , and suggesting patients do the same , despite Govt guidelines suggesting the opposite !
    Don’t know when they’ll truly catch on that this is the way to go with obesity & Type 2 , plus here in Oz , heaps of kids suffering obesity and overweight which will impact their lives later !
    My OH was diagnosed Type 2 , his Dr . told him to go away and lose 5 kgs ., same time lower carb intake , BSL’s improved , and his Hb A1c did as well !
    Keep supporting and educating her Heather , here’s hoping she does well and manages to improve her health , and outcomes , to reduce her risks of ghastly complications .
    I bought my OH an Accu – Chek glucometer so I could accurately check his blood sugar levels , after he had a mini stroke & whilst on Hoslirsl was diagnosed as a Type 2 Diabetic , so I would know exactly what his blood sugars were , & more importantly if they were improving / returning to within normal limits .
    It was a great investment , reality hit him initially as he didn’t really want to see what certain foods and over indulgences were doing to his blood sugar levels , & I guess I was guilty of putting the fear of God into him initially , so he would get the seriousness of the situation , when he just didn’t want to know about it .
    The Dr did believe that the mini stroke probably being the result of high blood sugars , as he isn’t a ‘ drinker ‘ , or a smoker , only mildly overweight for age and height , but the fear of a major stroke , & diabetes complications , as repeated by me to him , ad nauseum helped him see the light , and he has adhered well to diet , and exercise ever since …. No further events thank goodness , and good blood sugar results most days .
    Ive seen all the results of diabetes complications many many hundreds of times over during my Nursing career , and the devastating effects they have on people as individuals , & their families , especially when limbs are amputated , and kidney dialysis 3 days a week is necessary , pending blindness and high blood sugars , not only takes away drivers licences , but so much more !
    For many of us independence is so important , the thought of being bed bound , and having someone to take us to the bathroom full time something we don’t want to think about , I had a small inkling into that area , and how it impacts life with my Labrinthitis and I didn’t like it one bit !
    I don’t mean to go on , but if we can prevent just one person going down that track , by helping educate them , and supporting them , then we have an obligation to do so ! ( will remind self later 😁) she who over indulged with a choc . fest after lights out last night .
    Kitchen was closed as it was well after 8 , but where was the big basket of Chocolates ( a birthday gift ) ?
    On the lounge table with a few other prezzies , including a bottle of Veuve Cliquot ….. I knew I couldn’t AND shouldn’t pop that cork on a warm bottle of French Sparkly …. Wanted to BUT !
    Second option was to turn out the light and creep back to bed , OR !!! 3 Rd option was to break into the beautiful packaging and and and …..
    Dam it dam it dam it , OR won ….
    AND you guys know what happened next !
    I did some real damage to that basket after I managed to wreck the beautiful packaging , but if any of you girls ever get the chance to πŸ– Out on a range of Anvers Chocolates / fudges , you’ll know it was well worth the slip up / slip off the wagon !!!
    I did creep back to bed , and yes I felt quite nauseated , and yes I climbed back on the wagon this morning and for breakfast I ate 1//2 an avocado , mixed with 1 chopped tomato , lemon juice and cracked black pepper , 189 Cals and 30 carbs on all , so back on track , no lunch , & may even make a veg pizza for dinner , have a cauliflower , & plenty of toppings , so it’s all good .
    Nonna Mary , I will just say my eyes misted over as you told us all about your Jovis , his life before Mary & since , what a wonderful man , and it very much sounds like you deserve each other ❀️❀️
    May you Celebrate big time his 65 th on September 27 th ., and yes full permission is given from me to climb down off the Wagon in a lady like way , to toast his Birthday , just remember you are a Lady who respects her wonderful Knight in shining armour , not like a tart from one of the floors in your 1st shared abode with Jovis , and then climb back up onto the Wagon with a smile on your face , and much love in your heart , knowing you succeeded in honouring his special day in the manner he deserves .
    May you both have many many more wonderful years together ❀️❀️
    Hello and love to everyone else , very impressed with your weight loss and waist loss EC ., I truly want a waist loss , my OK has taken his belt in quite e few notches with his 5 kilo loss , I don’t seem to have lost a meagre centimetre even , despite a few kilos , nothing looser around my waist thus far !
    Why I ask ??
    Love to everyone else , keep on moving onward and downward , not the usual suggestion for the troops , but we r not your usual Troops are we ?
    Troops extraordinaire .
    Catch up soon ,
    Hello 66 xx

• posted by bluebell50
    on

Hi Hello66.
    I’m wondering if I’m working my carbs out correctly. Your half an avocado with tomato and cracked pepper in my book is no more than 13 carbs ( 8/avocado, 5/tomato ). Am I doing it wrong….?

• posted by alliecat
    on

Bluebell – I think the mistake you’re making is using total carbs. You’ve forgotten
    to subtract out the fiber, to arrive at net carbs. 1/2 avocado is 161 cal, 1.87 net carbs.

• posted by EC
    on

Good evening all
    I’m here to join the walking wounded, after rather spectacular fall yesterday (stupidly running with the border collie…long story), so now nursing a very painful fractured rib!!…there goes my plan to be at the gym 3-4 days a week (at least for several weeks!!)

Mary, thank you for sharing Jovis’ history…what a gem!!….you obviously landed one of the good ones! (deservedly so…but some deserve but don’t get as we know….I’m also a fortunate one!)
    H66…you, as are you all, welcome to visit anytime…but be warned that the Anvers’ chocolate factory is in the north of Tasmania!! ……in fact, I think that Tasmania is becoming the gourmet food bowl of the country..
    Re my waist loss…it’s just back to where it was a couple of years ago….a long way further to go before I’m at goal….but still, it’s progress
    I’m going through my wardrobe, ditching a lot of clothes that “hid” my expanding body …some of them good enough to sell (I hope…will report after the 2nd hand dealer comes tomorrow)…another fund!

Heather….good luck on Saturday night…all good suggestions from the team…..my new “crunch” is linseed crackers (will post recipe below)
    Allie….would love to sight your painting (all of it…not just the army!) one day…and yes, a walk with you nd the team anytime would be a delight!
    Searchingrockpools..come and experience our springtime one day (though it can, as I warned, also be wild and windy!!)

Anyhow…the required codeine is fogging my poor brain a little
    onwards (and yes, downwards….though not as speedily as I did)

Linseed and chia crackers

Preheat the oven to 190- prepare a large baking tray by lining with baking paper

1 cup ground flax seed (linseed),
    2 tbsp chia seeds,
    half a cup of water,
    half tsp salt,
    2-3 tsp dried herbs and spices (optional)…(I dry rosemary over my stove and then grind it …perfect with sea salt!),

Combine all the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl,
    Slowly add the water and mash it into the ingredients so your β€œdough” forms
    Scoop the mixture out onto your baking tray and with a fork press and smooth the mixture out so it is less than 5mm thick. Get it nice and even and thin to ensure crunchy crackers.
    Use a sharp knife to score the dough along desired cracker shapes to ensure you can break them into nice tidy pieces
    Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes.
    Allow to cool completely then break into crackers
    Store in an airtight container for two weeks.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Erin, my love, not YOU too! This isn’t at all good..By my count, we’re up to 5 now! I’m
    happy that you didn’t break a hip or leg, but a fractured rib sounds painful. Try your
    best not to laugh or cough, if you can help it! πŸ™‚ Kids, let’s try to end this week without
    anymore injuries, PLEASE. Thank you for the recipe. Now that it is beginning to get
    a bit cooler on the east coast of the U.S., I intend to become less slothful and try some
    of the BSD friendly food that you’ve been generous enough to include for us. We’re
    big soup fans, so I will be referencing some of your recipes when Oct. rolls around.
    Can it only be 10 days away??? At the moment hurricane #3 is treating us to tropical
    temps. and high winds today. Just wanted to commiserate about your fall. Take
    good care of yourself!!

Everyone else, specifically H66 and Nonna Mary, I’ll be back to do justice to your
    wonderful posts. We are all painters here, with the courage and trust to share snapshots
    of our lives with each other. I’m always grateful for you all.

Love,

Allie
    our lives

• posted by alliecat
    on

Oops, just a typo there at the end. Please disregard…

• posted by Hello 66
    on

Hi Bluebell ,
    I just checked with Fat Secret , and carbs for my avocado half and tomato cracked pepper should have been 15.4 carbs according to their calc. , my calculation yesterday was using an old cal counter from way back , not very accurate at all now it seems , your calc was 13 carbs , what do you use ?
    I will also check out with MFP later to see what it comes up with , as we want to be as accurate as we can be , as it can make a huge difference .
    Thanks for querying this BB ,
    Cheers ,
    H66 xx

• posted by Hello 66
    on

Oh dear Erin , I do sympathise wholeheartedly with you and understand fully your pain and discomfort , I had a nasty fall 3 years ago and fractured 2 ribs , and can I say I’d not experienced such pain …. Ever !
    Just about every movement caused the worst pain as no doubt you are now experiencing ! 😁😁😁😁my fall was in socks on a slippery floor , and I landed full weight onto the corner of a sharp table , causing 2 # ribs , plus muscle tissue was torn from the bone according to my trusty Dr ., which hampered healing somewhat , 7 and a half months to be exact , before I was pain free , and yes I was counting !
    I do hope yours isn’t a complicated # involving torn ligaments , muscle etc !
    I alternated Panadeine Forte with Mersyndol Forte for pain relief , think the Mersyndol was probably a little more effective , maybe a little calmative ? I was never sure , hence the alternating !
    We’re certainly the walking wounded brigade at the moment , we’ve really got to take extra care it seems !
    Thinking of you , & sending much love and healing vibes your way Erin .
    πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ’ H 66 .

• posted by Heather 44
    on

Jings people- if we keep on like this there will be no army left! EC I reallly hope you feel better soon! You poor thing. The couple of days after a fall are awful too, your whole body just feels the shock and hurts. Mind how you go lady! I am beginning to consider myself a bit of a jinx for this thread- since I joined everyone has “caught” injuries.

Thanks so much for all the suggestions and support re Saturday night!! I really fancy cauliflower pizza but no oven at the mo so that’s out the window- for now anyway. I think salad is the way to go and how could I have forgotten about eggs! I will allow myself one small rhubarb gin, knowing that I tend not to overdo on that the same way as if it was wine. Its quite sharp and refreshing so less likely to trigger my sweet drinking tooth. Also thanks for all the lovely comments re my sis- not heard from her as yet but I am not pestering her. I know from personal and bitter experience that the more you nag someone the less likely they are to follow suggestions so I am leaving her to her own devices. Keep her in your thoughts though dear army :-). H66 you are so right- if we can help just one person…..

So today I had a development day with work and even though I’m still off I wanted to go and catch up with my team mates and get out of the house. The walls have really been closing in on me. As usual I didn’t bother with breakfast and was assured there was soup for lunch. Lunch came- no soup. Only very carb heavy options. Panic. On reflection I should have pushed through and did a whole day fast but I felt hungry and headachey so decided on two very small pieces of wrap ( like a wrap rolled up and sliced) with cheese. There was only cake for dessert and I avoided it but funnily enough in the afternoon I first felt very bloated and heavy ( did I really feel like that every day before?!) then massive sugar cravings. Still avoided cake but will admit to having a few of the boiled sweets that were lying around on every table. Not had anything since and plan on having a wee tofu jambalaya thing- but oh man it totally triggered off the sugar cravings!!!! It is a total revelation though. This WOE really works and I feel better on it. So Saturday should be a breeze (gulp) now I’ve been tested! On a side note the two members of my team who are T2 both tucked into plenty of carbs and three pieces of cake each. I’m no angel but I couldn’t help fearing for their pancreases (pancreai? What is the correct plural for pancreas??!)

Shattered tonight after being out all day for the first time in nearly 6 months- so quiet night and early bed. We are getting our rescue chooks on Saturday so tomorrow will be about preparing the garden for them!

Hope everyones day has been successful.

Heather

• posted by alliecat
    on

I was just about to write “good evening, ladies” when I realized that I can no longer
    do that, since Jovis is an honorary member of our tribe! Mary and Jovis, thank you
    for the story of the life you have built together. I’m very happy to hear a true story
    of triumph over adversity, and how you’ve turned unfortunate circumstances into
    a warm and loving home for your 2 daughters and for yourselves. Any man who
    considers “It’s A Wonderful Life” a favorite film is a man I want to know! I picture
    you as our “white knight”, and listening to Mary express her love for you in our
    many exchanges here, out of the blue this song just popped into my head. It’s
    entitled “I Need A Hero”, sung by Bonnie Raitt, ca 1985. I did a quick check on google,
    and it can be found by googling (?) you tube I need a hero. I hope you enjoy it! The
    fact that you’re handsome in addition to being a “renaissance man” as well, that
    seems like an embarrassment of riches to me πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ Only the very best for
    “our Mary”. She deserves it! I will look forward to sharing Christmas memories
    with you, Mary, when we get closer to the date. I can’t face thinking about it just yet.
    I’m off tomorrow to visit my doctor, who I finally called after 8 days of this head
    injury and associated persistent symptoms. I see a C.T. scan in my immediate
    future. Feeling very nervous! When he’s worried, I get worried.
    Everyone else, STAY healthy, please….
    Sleep well, my chicks!

• posted by Hello 66
    on

Heather I had totally forgotten that your kitchen was still out of action at the moment , so of course cauliflower pizza wasn’t going to work for you , salad sounds like your best choice .
    You’ve got your drink sorted , so all good , hope you’re well rested after your big day out , but can imagine you’d be suffering a bit of cabin fever , after all these months , being confined to quarters !
    Interesting how you were tested at your work do and realised you felt bloated after a couple of small wraps , a good thing to feel prior to Saturday night , and yes I understand what you mean about not pushing your Sister , have to say I’m the first to buck when pushed in a certain direction , and just as likely to want do the opposite !
    Do hope she does well though Heather , it’s so important she does the right thing diet and exercise wise .
    By the way the pleural of pancreas is pancreata , which to me sounds very creative , I just imagined all our pancreata lined up in formation , an army of glucose restricted pancreata , what a sight πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
    Rescue chickens sound good , our Son and Family bought half a dozen chickens a few months ago , and the 3 Grandies have great fun now , running down to check if there are any eggs , 3 the other day when we were babysitting , Miss 3 insisted she could carry them all … Very excited because it was ‘ The same like me Grandma …3 ! ‘
    Oops …. 2 πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
    Allie I’m so glad you’re going for a check up with your Doc re persisting symptoms , yes a CT or MRI coming up I would think , all the best Allie 😘😘
    coming your way .
    Hope everyone else is doing well .
    Love to all , H 66 .

• posted by Leeleecheechee
    on

Morning all!

Been a pretty mad two weeks, so apologies for my radio silence. My trip to Galway was doing well when sadly my aunt passed away. I had to fly back to the uk for a service here and then escort the coffin back to Ireland 48 hours later for funeral and burial. It was not unexpected and at 89, she had a good life but boy did it break my heart seeing her twin sister so bereft.

So expensive too! Ireland airlines know when you are booking last minute, it’s for a funeral and my second trip cost Β£1300 for three days 😱

Suffice to say, life got in the way in terms of eating and I’m now the proud owner of 7 extra lbs. Fortunately, aer lingus didn’t change me excess baggage too 🀣

So, slowly catching up on all the posts (you’ve been busy!) and hoping you are all well.

Love to you all and slowly climbing back on the wagon.

L xxx

• posted by fattyfattyboomboooms
    on

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

2 lbs up!

2 lunches out this week and another today. Out tonight to celebrate the new job (only just told people as I thought I might jinx it!).

Hope you all have super weekends. I shall let you all know how my first day goes on Monday.

FFBB x

• posted by Hello 66
    on

Dear Lee ,
    So very sorry to hear of your Aunt’s passing , love and sympathy coming your way , may she rest in peace .
    I felt so sad to imagine your Aunt’s dear twin sister , a huge loss for her , her other half taken after 89 years . I πŸ™ for her as she grieves .
    Thinking of you , with love ,
    H 66 😘😘

• posted by Hello 66
    on

Hi FFBB ,
    Congratulations on your new job , have a wonderful Celebration tonight , and a weekend filled with anticipation .
    Look forward to hearing all about your 1 st day Monday πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘Œ
    H 66 xx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Dear friends, I’m so annoyed with myself! ( Imagine every creative curse word in your
    considerable arsenal, here.) I’ve just written an exhaustively long post, and I’ve
    lost the entire thing! I don’t have time to reconstruct it now, as I am about to embark
    on the 3 hr. round trip to my doctor, and I still have to pack an overnight bag, just in
    case. I hope to see you all later. If that doesn’t happen, I wish you all strength in
    navigating the “dietary and social” waters that you may encounter over the weekend.
    We do have to live our lives as the social creatures that we are, in order to be successful
    long term with this way of eating. Wishing “creative solutions” to one and all! Stay strong.

Much love,

Allie

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Allie take care and take my love and good wishes with you! Thank you for including my Jovis in our little group, but he is more the smithy that is necessary to bash the dents out of the armour for us!

FFBB…looking forward to hearing how you get on Monday.

Leelee, welcome back, but sorry you have such sad news. My daughter keeps telling me I am an Empath, because I feel for others…I certainly feel for your Aunt. I know it was inevitable one day, but it still hurts.

EC please be more careful, we need all able bodied troops at the moment. I think you had better take some sick leave…leave the marching to us for a while. I bet the collie wondered what had happened. A few years ago my Akita ran around me and knocked my 19 stone over onto my arse. The bruising was colourful to say the least…but nothing was broken or cracked. Blooming dogs getting in the way!

Hello66…thank you for your kind words about my Jovis. He is a bit perturbed that you want me to be a Lady on his birthday….he would prefer someone else…The saying…a cook in the kitchen, a lady in the lounge and a wanton woman in the bedroom…is more the mark! (I don’t want to blow his mind again though!)

Love to all
    Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hello66 and Nonna Mary – Thank you both for your warm words and kind wishes regarding
    my medical exam today. It was very comforting. I only had to wait 1 hour for a C.T., as
    my doctor issued a stat order, and didn’t want me to leave town and venture forth to our
    home 1 1/2 hours away. Within 15 min. of the scan I was back in his office, and
    very relieved to hear that it was normal. Diagnosis is concussion with hematoma to
    the forehead. The hematoma is draining blood into the white portion of 1 eye. Apparantly
    it’s going to take some time to resolve. Recommendation is just to continue to rest and
    take it easy until the headache, nausea and balance issues resolve themselves. I’m
    greatly relieved, as I’ve seen enough of the inside of the hospital for some time to
    come. I’m extremely tired after being out all day, so I will catch up with you tomorrow.
    Bless you both for being so caring!
    Allie

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Oh Allie I am so pleased for you results. See you tomorrow!

Night Night
    Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by Hello 66
    on

Dear Allie ,
    πŸ™Answered . πŸ˜„
    I’m so relieved to hear your CT was normal , you just have to be patient now , & rest as ordered whilst Father Nature deals with the haematoma .
    There’s no doubt been a bit of tension & stress as you’ve been worried about what may have been going on in that pretty little head of yours , so you’ll be able to relax a little now , & the other symptoms may abate more quickly . Are you taking a blood thinner ? eg Aspirin , as this is usually why in our age group bleeding occurs more freely when we fall and injure ourselves .
    Even without injury , aspirin can be the culprit , as was the case with me recently .
    I had a rather large spontaneous conjunctival haemorrhage into my right eye , no doubt caused by the aspirin I take daily after several TIA ‘s , but it took ages to disappear , & wasn’t attractive to look at I must say .
    Do hope you’re back home now Allie , have dinner , a relaxing shower , & retire to bed early after your long journey .

Erin I’m thinking of you as well , do hope you’re coping with your pain and discomfort . 😘😘

Love and hugs ,
    H. 66 😘😘

• posted by EC
    on

happy weekend everyone
    Lee, good to “hear” your voice again…..so sorry it’s not in happier circumstances
    Allie…such good news re your scan….hope you heal quickly and well (and come up with creative explanations for the red-eye!)

Heather and H66, thanks for your well wishes…and you too Mary…I stupidly can’t even claim to have tripped over my exuberant dog…tripped on my own (long) trousers because I was in too much of a rush to change into walking gear…well THAT slowed me down!

anyhow, still hurts but daily less so…..WAY over calories yesterday lying in bed reading and snacking… (but BSD friendly…just too much of the good things!!)….back on track so far today…though I’m always hungrier after a blowout…damn

Good news though…I cleaned out a whole lot of quite good clothes that are now too baggy and sold them to a friend who has a second hand shop (I’m getting rid of anything that will give me any excuse to gain or hide the extra weight again). Some of the money I’ll put towards having a few favourites altered….and ironing the things that are still too small as added incentive….I’ve only lost 6kg since June, but it seems to be (finally) showing.

missing my walking (and the new gym routine!!)..I’m not a very patient invalid…

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi Erin! Thank you sincerely for your well wishes, also. Like you, I’m
    just going to have to be patient. It lifts my spirits to know that you’re
    feeling a bit better. The beautiful black and white is just going to have
    to train someone else for awhile! Getting rid of the larger clothes must
    feel wonderful, and 13.2 lbs is nothing to sniff at. We all get there at
    our own pace, just so that we get there in the end! I seem to have picked
    up a few lbs. over the last 2 weeks, but I think it’s mostly the fact that
    it’s been hard to drink 3 litres of water while feeling nauseated. I’m not
    fixating on it though, it will resolve itself. Feel better!

Love, Allie

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hello, Hello66 – One of the posts I wiped out yesterday was one to
    you regarding the middle of the night chocolate festival that you were
    conducting in the lounge – I love the little piggy icon you put in there!
    I can so see me doing that, telling myself that I was just going to have
    one, then returning to bed with a slight stomach ache, as well as the
    “evidence” still on my face! I don’t have that much of a sweet tooth
    these days, but when I was a child my Father used to confiscate both
    our Halloween candy and Easter baskets at night. I never thought
    this was “fair”, and I got a real charge out of the fact that he broke
    a molar foraging thru my bag one night, and it cost him the price
    of a crown to correct it. Vindication!!! At least you kept away from
    the warm bottle of champagne. Could you think of it as a bottle of
    warm citrate of magnesium? πŸ™‚
    I’m very sorry to hear you’ve been having TIA’s. That of course worries
    me. I never take ASA, so doubt that is a contributing factor to my
    current demise. We had an hour to kill before the Imaging Lab re-
    opened after lunch yesterday, so we went down to the beach. Until
    I was walking barefoot on the sand in an open space, I didn’t realize
    how many balance problems I had. I was weaving all over the place!
    Not to mention the photophobia. I’m going to be on a lead for awhile
    too, I think. I’m so happy to hear that you had a splendid day with the
    “grandies”. I love that description of them. Wishing you a joy filled
    weekend!

Love,
    Allie

• posted by Hello 66
    on

Hi all ,
    Allie thank you for your kind thoughts re TIA ‘s etc ., aspirin seem to be keeping ‘ them ‘ at bay now , warned that Warfarin will be prescribed if I have another , I don’t want to go down that path of regular blood checks of INR to sort doses etc ., one aspirin a day is so much easier !
    I try not to stress but it’s hard not to think that if I can have mini strokes , then I fear there’s a possibility a major stroke could be lurking ready to strike me down !
    There I’ve said what I’ve been thinking , and it’s been a big worry of mine , also I worry for my darling OH , since he had his mini !
    I’m going to let that fear go right this minute , wonder where it will go now it’s leaving me down here ? 🌏
    Across the miles , over the oceans perhaps , dissipating little by little until gone forever ?
    Had a laugh about your Dad hiding your treats and having to have a crown after his indulgence .
    Our daughter was recently shocked when her 10 year old had to have a stainless steel crown on a 1 st tooth , at the suggestion of their dentist , over $ 400 later , dentist said it would prevent the 1 st tooth from coming out too early ….. What rubbish is that ? at 10 surely that’s normal ?
    Being a conscientious Mother who strives to do the right thing for her kids health , she felt she had to follow the dentist’s suggestions , but the crown , plus check up , plus teeth clean , ended up costing over $800 , their Private Health cover paid less than 1/4 I think she said .
    Father lectured him big time about not another sweet was ever going to pass his lips , few days later he visited a friend who offered him a black current pastille , and yes you guessed it , the crown ended up in the pastille πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ thankfully the crown was replaced by dentist no cost !
    Allie not good that your bare feet walk at the beach had you weaving , & balance not good , do hope your balance improves quickly !
    We’ve had a weekend of intermittent rain and it’s been quite windy so no walks here , today it’s only early just before 8.30 , but plan to get OH to accompany me on a walk later , off lead , to see how I go .
    ‘ Leads ‘ me to think of you Erin , glad to hear your pain is improving , amazing after just days following your # rib , good to hear 😊 Do take care !
    Hope everyone else has had a good weekend , it’s still Sunday evening for some of you , so sleep well , hope it’s a good week ahead for everyone .
    For some of us its Monday morning , so our new week has already started .
    Allie you mentioning your walk on the beach had me craving beach / sun / bare feet / sand sifting through toes / water /sound of waves breaking / lovely fresh air etc etc .
    We have a little old shack by the beach which we haven’t visited for several weeks now , so maybe we will manage to get there this week , and will get to enjoy all of the above .
    Despite sticking rigidly to BSD , no nasties have passed my lips during this past week , scales haven’t moved an ounce , which is disappointing to say the least , I will just have black coffee and water today and see how long I can last on a fast …. Wish me luck ,
    Love Hello 66 . Xx

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hello my friends

It’s been a bit of a busy weekend but back to work this morning.

I stayed the same on the scales this week, no loss. But I’m not too upset about it. Keep on going!

My greatest fear is a decrepit old age, self inflicted by poor diet, unable to get out and about and look after myself, which is why I am so keen to reverse whatever damage has been done as soon as possible! Particularly as I have no children or nieces/nephews and no partner. My old age will be a lonely, miserable place if I don’t make changes now. I have a sister and a brother thankfully and 4 great friends however we are all scattered around and only my brother and his wife on the doorstep. My mum is still with us thankfully. 18 months ago she had 2 really bad nosebleeds a fortnight apart. She’s always been very active, a keen gardener. Then a fortnight later she developed a blinding headache. So bad she had to ring me. Every time she so much as moved, she’d be violently ill. She was on wafarin at that time for AF. She’d had pneumonia 4 years before which left her with a dodgy heart valve. Long story short and after 2 discharges from A&E with ‘migraine’ and ‘water infection’ diagnosis, she developed blurred vision in one eye. Back again to A&E where she was admitted for a CT scan. (I’d pleaded for one on the 2nd visit but they wouldn’t do it). Turns out she had a brain haemorrhage. She was whisked off to a good hospital 60 miles away and remained there for 8 weeks. All medication stopped. She developed hydrocephalus. She couldn’t even sit up without support. She was managed conservatively, and 3 lumbar punctures later, finally could walk again. She came home May last year. She’s worked so hard at physio and we made her home safe with rails inside and out. landscaped so she couldn’t trip. It has been a long recovery but she was determined. I can’t tell you how proud I am of her. She turned 80 in March. She’s fine in herself although has a balance issue but she just has to remember not to turn on a dime cos her one leg doesn’t respond quite like it should and gets left behind! The day I joined this thread, 6 weeks ago, was the first day she drove a car again after 18 months. She drove the 8 miles to my house and knocked on my door! A day neither of us thought we’d see again when walking was only achieved by holding onto my arm around the supermarket or later using a rollator. It was quite emotional for both of us! After she’d gone home, I thought, right, if my mum can fight to recover, then I owe it to her to sort my own health out before it’s too late. So, that’s when I found the wonderful Liz and all of you on this thread. Just the push I needed!

Well, I’ve rambled on long enough. Well done FFBB on the new job. LeeLee – welcome back and so sorry to hear about your aunt. Allie – glad you saw the doc and are recovering.

Everyone else, have a wonderful day/evening.

Much love
    Kazzz

• posted by Leeleecheechee
    on

Morning all
    Quick post before work. Managed to shift 4lbs of my excess baggage this week but to be fair I suspect it was water weight…
    Back on the wagon today with a vengeance and currently having a coffee with cream (feels so luxurious) and hopefully keep me going for a while. Keeping cals around 1200 during the week now as I can’t face lower if I’m honest!

Will catch up properly with you all after work. In the meantime, Kazz what an inspiring mother you have.

New photo on fb from a very wet and windy Aran islands!

L xx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Kazzi, I’m glad to see you checking in! I always watch for your posts,
    since we both joined this thread the same day. I so admired your
    courage in admitting to 10 bottles of wine a week at the worst stage
    of things, and it pushed me over the edge to join. Your Mother has
    been thru so much! She’s obviously very courageous too. On this
    side of the pond we refer to those in their 90’s as “the greatest gen-
    eration” because of their grit. As a nation, each successive generation
    has become weaker since then. My Mother lived to the age of 94,
    still in her own home til the age of 92, at which point she went into
    “assisted living” because all the cartilage in her knees was shot
    and she could no longer manage the stairs without considerable
    difficulty. Until her stroke, she was still attending “book group”,
    “short story group” and current event lectures weekly, and at that
    age had absolutely no cognitive decline whatsoever. I swear her
    memory was better than mine! I’m happy your Mother is again
    able to get out and about. Becoming dependent on others is a
    bitter pill to swallow, regardless of age. On the other hand, I
    have a 37 yr old nephew who is morbidly obese, has never had
    a steady girlfriend, and can’t get thru the day without calling his
    Mother a minimum of 3 x ea. day!
    I’m glad you’re not stressing about the recent stall on your scales. I once had an eighteen day plateau two months in, but once I dropped my net carbs to <20/day
    and kept calories 700-800, I never experienced another one. Keep
    going! and have a great new week ahead.

Love,

Allie

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi, LeeLee! You were missed by all while you were away…I know
    I sent you my condolences, but I don’t see it here, so it must have
    been part of a “group” post I accidently lost before hitting “submit”!
    I’m so sorry for your loss, and sad for the twin left alone after 89
    years. She must be feeling so lost without the one person that
    has always been part of her life. Happy to hear that you’ve off
    loaded 4 of the 7 you picked up while taking care of your family.
    I suspect very little in actual weight was added, and you will
    soon be back to goal.

Searchingrockpools + Heather44, it’s time for you two to check in! πŸ™‚

Nonna Mary, what were you up to this weekend? Were you naughty?
    Seriously, I hope you are doing okay!

Everyone, have a wonderful week ahead…

Much love,

Allie

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hello Everyone, I had a lovely weekend. I spent all day Saturday with my gorgeous Little Joe and his sister Lexi. We went to a local “African” Garden Centre (plants and stuff). They also have exotic birds and animals and a sandy “beach” where they had such fun making sandcastles. Then back to our house for their favourite dinner of Sausage, beans and chips. Jovis and I took them back home at around 6 and collapsed onto our chairs just before 7 o’clock. The problem was that it was getting a little late to cook, so we had Chip shop food. Jovis had Jumbo Sausage and Chips and I had Chicken Kebab and salad. The calories went a little high but it was in keeping with the diet.

Saturday night was the start of Strictly Come Dancing (Dancing with the Stars elsewhere). My favourite programme, and yes, Allie, I did have a drink while I watched it. I have decided that there is only ONE day a week that I can drink and that is Saturday. Although, this wednesday is Jovis’ 65th birthday so I think I can be forgiven having wine with my meal out?

I hope our walking wounded are feeling a little better. We certainly sound a colourful lot, with our bruises etc. I have noticed a few people are a.w.o.l. at the moment….don’t think you have to hide if you have fallen….we will just pick you up! I want to know how you have got on so please let me know.

It is my weigh day tomorrow and I am not expecting a huge loss… but a couple of pounds would be good.

Kazz your mum sounds amazing. Allie is right, they are the stronger generation. My daughter pointed out the other day that a lot of youngsters don’t know how to wash the dishes as so many households have dishwashers. When I was teaching a young boy of 11, told me his mother never cooked. They ate out every night except when she bought ready meals! Her weight reflected this and I thought it was such a shame she was educating him to eat all the wrong foods.

Well I think I have rambled on enough for now. Take care everyone, I will post my results tomorrow.

Lots of love
    Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Mary, my love, you never ramble! Some of us who are of retirement age
    understandably have less demands on our time, i.e., careers, raising
    children, etc. Reading all the exchanges of life stories is an absolute
    pleasure, and I look forward to them, always! So happy to hear you
    had such a wonderful (if exhausting!) weekend. I actually think that
    allowing 1 night a week for a wine or 2 is a very reasonable approach,
    and could be an excellent strategy going forward. I feel cautiously
    optimistic that I could manage this too, maybe next weekend? I
    hope you have something extra special planned for Jovis on weds.,
    short of blowing his mind! πŸ™‚ I hope you will share what sort of woman,
    lady or ??? that you decide to present on this very special occasion???
    Talk to you soon..

Hugs,

Allie

• posted by fattyfattyboomboooms
    on

1st day in new job done and dusted.

Got the lay of the land and more info on the job.

I have policy/regulation training for 3 weeks and then an exam.

Then competency training for a week and then an exam and then finally a “nursery” week.

I avoided cakes and pastries but there is another round in the next couple of weeks as a “meet the team treat”.

I am mentally knackered and have decided that tomorrow I will scramble a couple of eggs with butter for breakfast to start the day right and play it by ear.

I am still on the fringes.

xx FFBB

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

FFBB, glad you had a good day…sorry you are tired but that happens with lots of learning. Good luck avoiding the sweet treats.

Lots of love
    Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hello66, I know that you are hopefully sleeping soundly and having sweet
    dreams, and will find my post in the morning. Being out by the ocean is
    the most relaxing place on earth for me, and if my b.p. was taken there,
    I’m sure it would register 10 – 15 pts lower. What fun to have a beach
    shack of your own! I’ve had numerous occasions to experience some
    of the most beautiful island beaches, but my favorite will always be the
    rough and wild conditions of the Atlantic off Cape Cod, Massachusetts.
    It’s my spiritual home, and I’ve been going there since I was a child.
    We always try to go in the Spring and early Fall, when there are no
    tourists about. I hope you get out to your place soon! I have to try
    to remember that you are experiencing the Spring right now. The
    other night I had retired early, and contrary to usual practice, O/H
    had also come to bed early. I was checking this thread before turning
    off the lights, and chortling to myself about your chocolate festival.
    My husband insisted that I tell you this story…You will soon see why
    I had conveniently forgotten it! About 10 yrs ago when we were still
    living in our home, Halloween was on the horizon. O/H had bought
    numerous bags of candy bars on his way home from the office. I
    told him to put them somewhere out of my sight. He has limited
    imagination when it comes to “hiding places”, so he put the bags
    in the top of the guest room closet. I thought he had gone downstairs
    to reheat his dinner, so I immediately got up, and you guessed it, I
    went to the closet. When I turned the light on and opened the door,
    I found him grinning at me from the inside the closet, asking me
    “looking for something, sweetheart???”. I was caught out, big time!!
    I understand the anxiety about another TIA, it has to be so much worse
    for doctors and nurses who have a lot of experience with the medical
    ramifications of this diagnosis. I pray that sharing the burden with us
    will help you to manage these moments of fear, the way sharing my
    concerns with all of you has been such a help to me.
    Have a wonderful, bright and new day!

Much love,

Allie

• posted by Hello 66
    on

Allies I loved your OH ‘ s chocolate hiding story , you were certainly sprung big time , very very funny , I had a great laugh and recounted it to my OH ., he was amused as well πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
    Your Cape Cod trips sound fantastic , do hope you are able to enjoy some time there soon ,after your symptoms abate , & yes it’s great to have our little beach shack , it is old and very basic , but has a wonderful atmosphere , an open fire place , which even during the colder Wintee months is very pleasant , a few logs on the fire , nothing like sitting with the warm flames dancing , enjoying some cheese and nibbles , a glass or 3 of wine ( oops ! ) but yes all these are very much part of the setting ,plus listening to some soulful music … So good for the soul .
    It is nice to come into the forum and perhaps have a whinge or open up about health concerns , guess as long as we don’t dwell on these issues too often it’s not too bad .
    Kazz , what can I say about your wonderful strong Mum , she is certainly a ‘ trooper ‘ , we should have her on board the Wagon with us , to show us the way .
    How very frightening was what she went through ? ( and for you it was horrendous too !)
    Truly wonderful that she is now ok , can imagine how emotional you would both have been when she drove to your place , keep treasuring each other , and know that you are on the right path wanting to be as healthy as you possibly can be , for you and for your precious Mum .
    You have an amazing role model to keep you on track ❀️
    FFBB glad day 1 of your new job was good , you have a few busy weeks to start with , so I wouldn’t put too much pressure on yourself with WOE , it will all sort out as time goes on πŸ˜„
    Good to hear from you Mary , that 65 th is getting close , you’d better be what Jovis wants you to be on his big day , sounds like that will mean anything goes , with 3 basic rules to be his perfect woman .
    I can see you starting out the day by cooking up a storm , then running around with the feather duster , then donning the glad rags , Birthday dinner out , with wine , then who knows … πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Hi to everyone else , hope you’re all doing well ,
    Love H 66

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Oh how I envy you people who live near a coast. I live slap bang in the middle of the country, possibly the furthest from the coast possible and I love to look at the Sea….I can just sit and look for ages!

My weigh day today and I have lost…..drum roll…..THREE EFFING POUNDS! I am stoked ! I think it may be because I managed a couple of 24 hour fasts last week. The problem is….I am scared that tomorrow I will gain it all back by having that lovely Italian Meal out…and the resulting Prosecco that goes with it. However, I do have a plan. I may do another 24 hour fast on Friday and perhaps forego the wine while watching Strictly…after all, I can do it in the week….I can ….can’t I? lol

Liz, if you could just say hello and that you are ok? We really miss you. Sending hugs and kisses to you and our Kev.

Later my lovelies

Lots of Love
    Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by bluebell50
    on

Hello people.
    I’ve been catching up on posts, and take my hat of to you all.
    I have been naughty today and bought some wine to go with lunch – if it lasts that long. I can go for months without alcohol if I keep my stress levels low. But today, something got me so effin angry that I was tempted to go to the local pub and have a liquid lunch. I’d like to know if anyone thinks I’m being totally unreasonable over this issue, and I wholeheartedly apologise as I don’t mean to offend anyone.
    I had to take my daughter to the DWP ( Job Centre ) for her regular interview. She won’t go there alone – her mental health issues I believe stem from the suicide of her dad when she was a baby – she thinks she wasn’t good enough; he didn’t want to be her dad; all things that she rationally knows to be untrue, but eat away at her. So she drinks to forget, and although she denied it, I knew that somehow she’d got hold of alcohol and been drinking before we left.
    This, sadly, isn’t unusual and it wasn’t what made me barking angry.
    I hate it when people preface a statement with, “I’m not racist, but…”
    When I lived in Norfolk, I used to delight in going to Eastern European supermarkets, scouring the shelves and the freezer cabinets for varieties of fish and vegetables unheard of in the local Asda / Sainsbury’s etc.

That aside, I sat with Em and due to the close proximity of the persons being interviewed, could hear everything. A couple and their child were sat with the interviewer. Next to me, in the waiting area, a lady, younger than me (57) sat quietly, biding her time.

My daughter then went off and saw her interviewer. Sat alone, I listened (RUDE!) to the couple’s interview. He couldn’t speak a word of English. His wife wasn’t much better. The staff member was trying to tell them what they needed to do to facilitate their claim, and had to keep repeating everything. All they were saying was, ” We need money.” The interviewer persisted, “Why weren’t they turning up for meetings, why wasn’t he actively seeking work? It went on, and on. My lady still sat patiently waiting. Eventually the couple were told to come back and it was the turn of the lonesome lady.
    “Sorry to have kept you for so long – we’ve overrun by about 45 minutes, now, what can I do?”
    ” I need to let you know about my husband, he died yesterday.”
    “Oh, did you bring your marriage certificate as proof for a claim?”

Livid isn’t the word. And to top it all off, she explained that her Guinea pig died that morning. Not an ardent animal lover, but that finished me off. I’m kicking myself for not engaging in conversation with her instead of being angered by the non English speaking claimants. Sorry to ramble.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi Mary! I can’t let this day pass without congratulations over the 3lb.
    loss you’ve had this week. Wonderful! I’m so happy that the scales
    have started to co-operate with you. I don’t know how you are able
    to do a 24hr fast, though. I’ve been reading posts on other threads,
    also, more and more people seem to have figured this out! I’m not
    one of them. I’m accustomed to feeling mildly hungry most of the
    time, but fasting makes me feel sick, and I hate being in discomfort!
    Obviously I have a very low pain threshold, as my dr. of 43 years has
    pointed out from time to time πŸ™‚ (I once asked him, on a scale
    of 1 – 10 where mine was, and he sardonically replied “.5!”) Ah, yes,
    he knows me well! If he ever retires, I might indeed throw up at that
    bit of news. Whatever you decide re Weds. nite dinner, I think you will
    be fine. You can always decide what you want to do when watching
    your favorite t.v. show on Sat. after a weigh-in Sat morning….or not!!!
    It’s simply a calculation…risk vs reward. Just please be ok with it.
    We love you either way! πŸ™‚

Allie

• posted by Esnecca
    on

My OH can’t fast either, Allie. He just doesn’t have the metabolism for it. He’s the most mild-tempered guy in the world under normal circumstances, but one late meal and he goes full dinorage. I, on the other hand, thrive on an extended fast. The second day especially I feel so great I practically skip everywhere like a little kid. It’s not a pain tolerance issue for me. There is no pain. First there’s nothing, then there’s euphoria, then there’s the intellectual pleasure of planning the sumptuous meal with which I will break the fast.

Congratulations on your great results, Mary! Extended fasts are the best. Forget the wine. It’s just a fluid like any other. There’s nothing so special about it that makes it worth torpedoing your hard work and accomplishments. San Pellegrino is more refreshing anyway. πŸ˜‰

• posted by Hello 66
    on

Bluebell no wonder you were so angered , I’m speechless !!!
    I’d be absolutely furious too !
    It’s almost hard to believe that the interviewer had absolutely no compassion whatsoever for your poor lady , what a cold callous B.
    I can also imagine that you’ve been thinking that had you engaged in conversation with her , you may have been able to empathise and show her some caring and sympathy …. Poor lady has so much to face , a little kindness may have eased her pain and grief a little .
    I’d feel like writing a letter of complaint ‘ To whom it may concern ‘ re the way that lady was treated in her time of grief !
    As for your daughter , how dreadful that she feels the way she does about her Father’s suicide , such a shame she can’t get a good Psychologist who could help rid her of these feelings that cause her such angst , she must suffer so much , & as a Mother it must be heart breaking for you as well Bluebell .
    What a day !!!!
    A big hug coming your way 😘

Mary what a great loss you had , ffffffantastic , and whatever goes down for Jovis Birthday will be worth it , even if you gain a little !
    Life is short , and it is for living , so don’t worry too much about one day ! Celebrate Jovis Birthday , and then get back on the Wagon , as you said you can have a Fast day Friday .
    This fasting has shown you that it is indeed the way for you to lose , so you can now incorporate it in each week , and repeat this amazing weight loss over and over πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
    You speak of just loving looking out at the Sea .
    it is certainly very relaxing and calming anywhere near water I find , stresses of everyday life seem to just disappear . Mary being inland you must really miss it .
    There’s nothing I enjoy more than walking bare feet along our beach , water about mid calf high , the feeling of sand sifting through my toes , waves breaking over my legs and feet , to me a magic feeling , and a good way to burn a few extra calories , and tone up the old legs .
    Our little old shack is 40 minutes away .
    We so often decide spontaneously to just go , we leave the electricity on at the shack , so there’s always plenty in the freezer , just need to take a heap of fresh veg , milk cheese etc ., so can be in the car and on our way within half an hour .
    Do hope all is going well with everyone else , look forward to hearing ,
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR JOVIS , HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU πŸ˜˜β€οΈπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ·πŸŽŠπŸŽ‰πŸŽπŸŽ‚πŸ’‹πŸ‘Œ
    Love from Hello 66 🌏

• posted by alliecat
    on

JOVIS – I can’t possibly improve on H66’s fabulous icons (how does
    she do that?) so that I’ll simply say WISHING YOU THE BEST BIRTHDAY
    EVER from this side of the pond. Much joy to you!

Allie

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Morning peeps

Nona Mary – effing fabulous, 3 lbs off! Enjoy your meal with Jovis and happy bday from me also! I’m going to do a fast day today to spur things on a bit in my 7th week.

Bluebell – that lady, so dignified then met with zero compassion. I was shocked to read it. No wonder you felt so upset for her. I just hope she has plenty of family and friends she can be comforted by. xx

I’m with Nona Mary – whenever I can get away for a mini break with my bestie, we always choose somewhere either by the sea or at least a river, estuary. Earlier this year we went to Barton upon Humber and stayed in a static caravan on someone’s small holding. It looked out over a reservoir with fabulous water fowl etc. There were about 7 families of geese with their babies and they’d come up to the door to be fed. Special feed was provided by the owners. It was a joy.

Okay, everyone, have a lovely day/night. See you all soon.

Kazzeee xx

Please log in or register to post a reply.