New CSIRO Low Carb diet

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by suzcaps
    on

Just curious if anyone has seen this and if it aligns with the BSD way of life. I just love how going low carb seems to be the trend now.
    I am now in maintenance after 6 weeks of BSD800 (I was prediabetic). I have lost all the weight I need to – I am 63kg (starting from 74kg) at 170cm tall and my waist went from 97cm to 84cm. I really can’t afford to loose more weight as everyone is telling me I am wasting away – personally I don’t see it.
    My main concern is that my morning fasting glucose can still get high at times and at other times it’s normal but my glucose readings through out the day are perfectly normal too, it just seems to be the fasting reading at times that gives me trouble -, this morning it was 7.3. I have never seen it over 6.9 before. I am keeping carbs below 40g and have been doing so from the start so I am not really sure what is going on other than I have gone from counting calories to counting carbs (I still track everything in MyNetDiaryD) and my carbs are below 40g and 65g for protein.
    Is anyone else having problems with the morning blood glucose reading and does anyone have any advice?

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

It is the Dawn Phenomonenm – I have written about it many times. Type it into the search box at the top, or Google is, it is a well known thing.

• posted by suzcaps
    on

Thank you. I will look into it.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Perhaps you may need to reduce your carbs further? Some of us, including me, dropped to around 25g.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

I had a quick look at the CSIRO
    Low carb book yesterday. Looking at the meal plans it did look similar to BSD but with more carbs -for example snacks were things like Ryvitas. I only flicked through it, but what put me off was wording similar to this “on mornings that you have oats then reduce your csrbohydrate units from 10 to …”
    Sticking to 800 calories I don’t find to difficult (mainly), and I like the flexibility and wide vsriety of foods with BSD & it’s simplicity. If I had to work out meals so that I was having 10 units of carbs, 2.5 units of fat etc per day I don’t know that I’d stick to it.
    As I said I did only flick through the book. I would have bought it for further reading (out of interest), if I didn’t already have a whole collection of diet books!

• posted by suzcaps
    on

I ended up buying the book more for the recipes. I still think they use to many carbs but at least it is going in the right direction. I have to agree that the ‘units’ method would be a little annoying. It would probably help make sure you where getting food from all the groups that they have but I think sticking to either calories or carb counting is far easier for me as this is how I started out. Unless of course they came up with an app that worked it all out for you!
    I did end up buying two recipe books by Dana Carpender – 1001 Low Carb Recipes and 200 Low Carb Recipes. I actually like these books. They fit in nicely with BSD Way of Life and are ‘surprise ‘ low carb and the recipes I have tried so far are quite tasty . It means my family gets more variety.

Please log in or register to post a reply.