New Beginning.

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Gtx4Jay.
    on

Just finished reading the book and need to get my bloods down as a no 1 priority any weight loss will be the added bonus. Just spend the evening comparing protein shakes only to finally decide the best then go to check out put in your discount code to find it’s excluded back to choice 2-3 and a coin flip and making a food list so hoping to start as soon as my shakes arrive. Will do a combination of both to see what works best for me.

• posted by Nalin P
    on

Hello Jay?
    I’ve just completed the 8 week BSD book and determined to reverse my Type 2! I’m now getting prepared and planning for my start. I’m trying to book meet with Dr but 3 week wait time! So I’m ringing daily to get cancel slot! What planning and prep are you doing to start the Diet? When do you plan to start? Regards, Nalin

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hey welcome to the forums you 2
    There is loads of help advice and recipes available on here but if there is anything you need to know or can’t find, just give a shout.
    There is usually someone who has the answers and if not, we’ll do our damndest to find them.
    You will both be amazed at how fast this works without you feeling any hunger after the first few settling in days.
    Looking forward to seeing your progress.

• posted by Nalin P
    on

Thanks for the welcome Bill! I am now planning for success. If you can suggest any tools or aids for pre-planning the the 8 weeks I’d appreciate it. Otherwise I am building a diary, full menu programme from your book and other source, and stats recording. Just wondering if there is a single “tool/aid” that can contain all this?

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi
    I don’t use any apps but there are plenty of folk who do.
    Stand by for information overload πŸ˜€ In fact, if you click on resources at the top of the page and then Helpful products, you should find what you need.

• posted by Nalin P
    on

Will do Bill Thanks. I’m looking forward to building my weekly Menu now. I actually run an Indian catering business so will be tempted to spice up the 800 Cals a little! πŸ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Oo hoo a spice expert !!!
    Looking forward immensely to seeing some recipes from you
    Get writing, please don’t keep our taste buds waiting too long, and if you know any gram flour recipes apart from soca or bhaji’s please let us know.

• posted by Gtx4Jay.
    on

Hi both thank you for the welcome. I have been making a menu plan too I was going to follow the Plan in the back of the book but some of the foods I don’t like lol and some are for 4+ servings unless they can be frozen etc. . So will do a mix of food and shakes found a low carb low sugar protein shake. So will have 2 shakes and an evening meal for the first 2 weeks and see how I go from there.

• posted by Nalin P
    on

I am actually a Pescetarian (don’t eat meat but fish I do) and will be aiming for “natural” food so to speak no shakes. Bill I will send out some menus incl gram flour spiced ones, soon as put together. I’m starting to starve thinking about is !

• posted by Blood Sugar Man
    on

There is a big demand for the book, so much so, many book stores have run out and are slow to re-order and surprisingly it appears some stores haven’t even got their first batch of books in. However I was lucky enough to find a store with an ample supply. Got the book a few days ago. Read it. Now preparing, re – Dr’s, tests, measurements, gadgets, planning etc.

I have always been motivated, determined and confident in the past when diving into yet another life changing diet/exercise regime but failed miserably every time. I am feeling the same but hope I finally succeed with the 8wk/800 calorie blood sugar diet. It feels different this time (as it has done every other time).

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Welcome BSM if you have the motivation and determination already then this will be a breeze for you.
    Most folk approach it with a little trepidation wondering “will it work for me” and get motivated as they see the weight moving.
    It will work as long as you let it, don’t overthink things, just have a read around here, check out the recipes, and go for it.
    This time next week we will all be looking out for an excited first week report from you.

• posted by Nalin P
    on

Hello BSM – we are all in the same boat. But as you said it feels different this time! The book just clicked with me and It definitely feels different for me also. I want a major improvement long term and get off medication and enjoy life even more. Stay focused and don’t look back as they say. Looks like we are taking the same steps at the same time so lets go for it. Like you I’m planning now and aim to start next week but not set the launch date yet πŸ™‚

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi BSM and NalinP – this diet is surprisingly easy to get along with and I am sure you will both be reporting weight loss very soon. Make sure to use the various forum threads to gather info and support and as Bill said, check out the recipes too for inspiration. There may be times when you find it hard to stay focused and motivated and that is definitely the time to post on the forum, as someone will be there o urge you on.

Gook luck to you both for the weeks to come.

• posted by Gtx4Jay.
    on

My shakes have arrived will start it mon after iv done a week cutting down on the carbs and finished the meal plan and do a shop.

• posted by Blood Sugar Man
    on

Hi Bill,Nalin,Jay & Sunny. Started food diary yesterday. I eat awfully bad & have been over eating as the diet starts soon. (Nxt Monday-28/03/16). No fruit or veg recorded as yet but plenty of sugary,fatty supplements like ice cream, biscuits, potato chips & frankfurts. I was Borderline diabetic 6 months ago. M seeing Dr tomorrow. Have been feeling a little down the past few days & lost a little motivation & belief in myself but back on track thanks to re-reading Ur emails. For the nxt two months The Blood Sugar Diet will be my priority. After that, the benefits of a healthy lifestyle will hopefully be lifelong but I don’t want to fall into the old trap of getting ahead of myself, as I usually do.
    Anyway, take care & good luck!😜

• posted by Nalin P
    on

Hi All, I went to see my Dr yesterday and his initial (and as I expected) reaction re me to go on BSD was skeptical. He admitted he was not too much an expert on diabetes and best way to manage such a diet. He just suggested worth talking to the diabetes dietitian. However he was happy for me to go on the Diet and see how it goes and check back in a month or so!!! . So that’s a positive start. I have nearly prepared my weekly menu and now want to get the bank holiday weekend over as I will no doubt indulge a little. Over the past week or 2 I tried several days on trialing BSD menu items to get a feel of it and reaction during the day. It was fine! Now setting target date of Next Friday to Start and getting very motivated!!!

BSM keep the motivation and focus and try to eat healthy food and cut the sugar and carbs. It will help you prepare, Regards

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi again Nalin P
    One of the hardest tasks you have is convincing your doctor that this will work – at the moment
    Go back after your 8 weeks with your results, he will listen then.
    There is then a chance that he will recommend this lifestyle to other patients so You may end up helping a lot of peole without ever knowing it.
    Keep us posted with your results.

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Nalin and BSM,
    Great decision to start the diet. It will only take a short time for you to start feeling and seeing the benefits. You won’t miss the sugary carb heavy foods after a few days if you eat from a good range of fresh food and try out various recipes from the book.
    BSM, if as you say, you have a tendency to get ahead of yourself then just follow the 8 week eating plan for a start. As Bill says there’s no need to overthink this, quite simply it works!!
    As you get more confidence and your motivation increases you can start to experiment with other recipes. Your tastes will soon change and you’ll be keen to try fresh healthy alternatives to takeaways and processed food.
    I get the sense you are hovering at the edge, dipping your toe in the water and wondering if it’s too cold, or you’ll be out of your depth? Don’t listen to the negative self talk. Just jump right in and join the rest of us who are living the life. We’ll help you to stay afloat. πŸ™‚

• posted by Nalin P
    on

Hi All (thanks for support Cherriane)

I’m planned/prepared, mental mind focused and I start this Thursday (Easter break over so busy few days back to work!).
    I have my own tracking records sheets but I’m sure I read there is somewhere on this site I can record my results. Anyone direct me plse…
    Thanks, Nalin

• posted by Nalin P
    on

Hi All,
    I thought I’d give you a quick update. I’ve just completed DAY 5 and results are good so far! Weight down 4KG and fasting morning glucose down to 5.8 (from start 7.3). Blood Pressure from 140/79 to todays 133/80 (mornings).

QUESTION – Should I stop my 2 tablets of 500mg Metformin tablets per day after food? I have not taken them for 2 days so far!
    Same with my BP tablet once a day. I assume I should continue this and monitor daily?

I’m not getting hungry like I used to pre BSD plan. I’m walking daily 5-6000 steps and starting jogging soon.

I think it will get harder but heading in right direction… all the best, Nalin

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Wow Nalin, they are pretty fantastic results already πŸ™‚ you really are off to a great start. Thanks for posting that, it will inspire some other new starters.
    If you are getting those fasting levels without the metformin I wouldn’t worry about taking them. Maybe just do one extra random test per day as well eg: two hours after breakfast one day, two hours after lunch another day, again two hours after dinner on a different day and then one or two bedtime readings. If, over the course of the next week or so, your levels are under 8.5 then don’t bother with taking metformin.
    Non diabetic levels are 4.0 – 5.9 fasting and under 7.8 after meals.
    With regards to your blood pressure you should talk to your GP about stopping your medication. Go armed with your blood pressure readings for him to look at. Michael does say in the book that your blood pressure may go too low after starting the diet if you are on medication.
    Looking forward to your next set of results.

• posted by Nalin P
    on

Thanks Cherrianne for the suggestion and I will do that. I keep a full diary of all key stats an food eaten.
    I assume the low glucose readings thus far are as I’m eating far less and virtually no carbs other whats in the veg and Mediterranean menu I’m eating. So would the lower read not be expected naturally? thanks, Nalin PS morning fast read today was 6.3.

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Nalin,
    It’s the lower carbs that do the trick. So what you are eating now is the key to your success.
    You may find your blood sugars get a bit erratic a few weeks into the diet. It’s happened to quite a few of us and lasts around three weeks. It’s a bit disconcerting but seems to be due to your liver getting rid of it’s fat stores. There’s more info on the ‘rising fasting blood sugars’ thread.
    Once you’ve finished the eight weeks you’ll have acquired so much knowledge of what and how much food you can eat to keep your blood sugar in the desired range. After reaching your goals you should be able to eat a slightly higher level of carbs, but none of us can ever go back to our old ways.
    I think your GP will be quite impressed with your progress so far πŸ™‚

• posted by Nalin P
    on

Hi All,
    I hope you all well and BSD is always on you mind as it is with me!

My update and a question if you know?…

I am coming to end of week 3 and my weight has gone down from 98Kg to 91kg (1 stone!!); BP much lower oftenbelow 130/80 most of time but my heart BPM is 45-55!!?? That scares me.

On the glucose side, I take 3 readings (morning, afternoon and eve) the afternoon and eve are nearly all below non-diabetic range (NDR) before meal and 2 hrs +. But I notice my morning read (fasting) before any food is just over 6 (so outside the NDR). Any reason this may be happening? Noting my eve read is lowish.

I’m not starving through the day BUT I do get food cravings at times and try to find the best thing to snack on – at present natural yogurt with blueberries!! Enjoy

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Nalin, pleased to hear of your success so far!

Other snacks could be a boiled egg, a small piece of cheese or a few nuts or seeds. Cherrieanne fries some seeds in soy sauce to make a salty, satisfying snack! πŸ™‚

• posted by Buxtonmick
    on

Hi Nalin, great progress! The morning fasting reading appears to be being widely disregarded these days due to the discovery of a couple of things that cause inaccurate / unreliable readings, one is a condition with a strange name but the other is a fairly common thing called ‘dawn phenomenon’. It has been found that our body prepares itself for waking and subsequent activity by releasing glucose from the liver. Of course, we all live various activity cycles so this will differ for each of us, so if you want a morning fasting reading try waiting for an hour or so and see how that is.
    As I say, more attention is being focus send on pre- and post-prandial readings which give an accurate picture of how different foods affect your bsg and how your body is coping.
    Mick.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Buxtonmick. My fasting blood sugar at starting was 10.9. Prior to starting the BSD I struggled to get it below 7.

Now that reading is consistently between 4 and 5.

I test any new foods during the day to see how they affect my blood sugar, but find the fasting test (on waking) to be the most reliable indicator for me.

Please log in or register to post a reply.