My NSV has set me free! I’ve got a non scale victory!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by JGwen
    on

I have two aims for starting this thread.
    1. There are the regular 1 week and 4 week challenges, but I wanted to complement them by providing a thread to focus on our None Scale targets such as fitness levels, inch loss, or health markers.
    2. Thinking and setting a WHY, can be very helpful in helping us through times of temptation. – While setting ourselves a target weight is a good start, its not as powerful as thinking about why you want to loose weight. Maybe you have an activity which you enjoy and your spare tyre is getting in the way, maybe you have a special event to go to. What ever your WHY, focusing on it will be more inspiring than the reading on the bathroom scales and take away the stress from a weight loss plateau.

• posted by KristenLouise
    on

Thanks for starting this. My Non Scale Goal is to see how much I can reduce my waist measurement in four weeks. That will be my focus and I will consider any weight I lose to be a bonus. Onwards and downwards 😀

• posted by Anonymous
    on

Great idea to set this up! The scales are not always an accurate representation of what’s going on so it’s such a good idea to look at the other stuff that’s improving.
    So my current goal is to fit into my new turquoise swimming costume and to feel comfortable in it in time for a spa day with some girlfriends in exactly 3 weeks time. I haven’t seen them in a while, and it would be great if they can see the difference in me. I know it’s a bit trivial compared to improving my blood sugars, but if I can feel like I look good in this swimming costume in 3 weeks time, I’ll be so happy!

• posted by KristenLouise
    on

There’s absolutely nothing trivial about wanting to feel good in a swimming costume! That will probably be a goal for me too further down the track, but fortunately we’re in the middle of winter so I don’t have to face that fear yet!

• posted by JGwen
    on

Wanting to look good in a swimming costume isn’t trivial. Whatever motivates you to step away from the carbs when temptation calls go with it.
    For those who have joined the forums in the last couple of months, I started back in October 2017 my initial WHY was to get back to riding weight after 8 years of physical inactivity as a result of complications from a broken ankle. I have achieved that, now I want to improve my shape. When my work was office based it was relatively easy to fit in going to a gym and have time for myself in an evening and at weekends, but its not so easy when you work at home in a property that needs renovation. – I want to go into town twice a week to go to the gym to work out with weights followed by a swim and time in the sauna. Sad to say I need the accountability of reporting in to push myself to take time for myself.
    I am coming to realise that taking time for myself is linked to a whole range of issues, like grabbing something to eat rather than taking time to cook something healthy is what got me hooked on carbs initially.

• posted by marie123
    on

Mrs T – I’m with KristenLouise and JGwen, getting into your swimming costume will be a great NSV. One of mine is to buy and get into a lovely pair of boots. I haven’t been able to fit into a pair of boots for years. So, opposite to you, KristenLouise, I’m in the middle of summer, waiting for winter!

• posted by Verano
    on

I’m with the others Mrs T no ‘WHY’ is trivial.
    I’m not setting my WHY until after my blood test results on Monday. I am in the doldrums at the moment so really pleased you have set up this challenge JGwen it has come at a really good time for me. Very much at a crossroads at the moment and I am anticipating poor results on Monday. Think the time to concentrate my mind is imminent. Will report my WHY on Monday. Have a good weekend.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Great thread. I agree that wanting to look good in your swimsuit isn’t trivial. How we feel is very important, and part of feeling good is being happy with how we look. Doesn’t mean we have to look like suprmodels – for me it’s more a case of being able to look in the mirror and notice something other than how fat I look.

My two biggest NSVs so far are –

My wardrobe. When I’m going out, I can now choose which item is most suitable for the occasion, without first checking I can do it up. It’s like being given an armful of new outfits, as there are things in there I haven’t been able to wear for years.

My fitness. I’m not superfit, but when we go out for the day, I can keep walking as long as I like. I don’t have to tell myself I don’t really want to climb up somewhere to look at the view, or that I’m not interested in whatever is furthest from the car park, because I don’t have the energy to get over there. Of course I’m pleased that being fitter is good for my health too.

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

It seems something a lot of us share is not spending time on ourselves- I suppose for me it’s a question of self-esteem; if you don’t value yourself then you don’t think you’re worth spending time on.
    So, I broke through that barrier when Allie gave me a link to Josh Axe’s site and ordered a range of oils. This recipe I use every day for my face and neck is https://draxe.com/anti-aging-essential-oils/ and if it isn’t making a difference I believe it is and that’ll do for me!
    I’ve also made up a body oil which makes my skin feel and look really hydrated and glowing.
    So if anyone fancies a boost then oils are highly recommended, because you’re worth it 😊
    Maggie

• posted by marie123
    on

Squidge – Thanks for reminding me – I’ve had lots of lovely NSV’s – feeling lighter, being able to wear a special ring I’d not been able to wear for ages, my feet and ankles becoming a bit more delicate looking, and, like you, walking more easily and fitting into clothes I’ve loved but not been able to wear FOR YEARS. Just thinking of those things brings a smile to my face.

I remember years ago a friend of mine telling me that in the village in Greece where he lived when you asked a much older person how they were their response was ‘still walking’. That’s my WHY. I’m in my early 60s and I want to be as healthy and active as I can, be able to go places, see and do things, for as long as I can.

I’m a new maintainer (since April). My main NSV goals are to get fit so keep going to the exercise classes & gym I started last year – been a bit hit & miss lately – and learn to cook a wide range of delicious BSD recipes as I know if I don’t have a variety of delicious food I won’t stick long-term – I keep starting to do this and then stopping. As californiagirl says in another post changing the habits and mindset of a lifetime isn’t easy!

So, my NSV challenges are to go to the gym or exercise classes 3 times a week and to cook 2 new recipes a week, and I’m committing to reporting on here to keep myself responsible.

Crikey, O’Reilly! – now I’ve gone and done it
    Marie

n.b. Maggie – I think you’re so right. One of the reasons I’ve been hit and miss with the exercise/gym more recently is I’ve got back into the old habit of putting everybody else’s needs and wants before my own. Like the sound of the oils.

• posted by Ellem
    on

Thank you for this thread JGwen. Marie – I love your goal of two new recipes a week, what a great goal to set.

I would like to get my exercise into a more regular routine, as it makes me feel good. This last week I’ve only done it once, so I will use this thread to give myself some accountability. I would like to exercise 3 days next week, and have noted it in my diary for Tuesday, Friday and Sunday. I will post in here when I do it.

All the best to everyone for your non scale goals this week.

Elle

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi Marie! I hope you will share any new recipes with us 🙂

All and any NSV are fun reading, even if they sound trivial..they aren’t!
    Having lost 50% of my body weight, my NSV are profound and nothing
    short of life changing. In time, I’ll enumerate some of them, but on a
    lighter note today, here’s the most vain glorious of them all 🙂 For almost
    2 decades I consigned myself to wearing wide legged trousers, because
    that was all that was available. I hated all of that fabric flapping about
    around my calves! Today, I can stand with my ankles and feet together,
    and NOTHING touches all the way up! At long last, skinny trousers, in
    all of their manifestations, are my everyday go to option, and I feel
    ridiculously like a coltish creature, regardless of chronological age. One
    of my first “new me” purchases was a pair of python print leggings 🙂
    Age appropriate? NO! Fun? ABSOLUTELY!
    Turquoise swimming costume? Sounds fantastic to me!! I think we’ve
    all had our fill of navy, black and grey. It’s all in good fun, and we should
    just enjoy it 🙂 🙂 🙂

Allie

• posted by JGwen
    on

I have a new NSV to report, I went out last night and put on a top from my wardrobe. – You might be thinking, thats just normal, but I had kept all my nice, classic, clothes in my wardrobe from before I started to pile on weight in my wardrobe, and had gradually filled the space in front of the wardrobe with boxes of larger clothes. I was determined to one day get back to my size and the clothes in my wardrobe, and I have managed it. 🙂

Not that this means that I am slim, still overweight and still KOKO to change that.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Well done, JGwen! It’s brilliant that you’ve achieved that goal and proved to yourself you are back in control of your eating. Hopefully you’ll find it motivating to be back in your favourite clothes and knowing you not only look much healthier but really are.

We went to a BBQ at the weekend. I had my sausage and burger without the bread rolls everyone else had, drank wine with mineral water in, (mostly) avoided the crisps and nibbled cheese instead. The best bit though was that I didn’t feel I was deriving myself – and several people I hadn’t seen for a while said I’d lost weight and was looking really well. I told those who asked about the BSD – might have made some converts.

• posted by Ellem
    on

JGwen that’s a fabulous NSV. Well done, I bet it felt awesome.

Allie, I loved the flapping trousers story 😄

Squidge, Well done with the BBQ. It can feel so empowering to be in control of what we choose to eat.

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

What a great moment JGwen, very encouraging to find your target clothes are fitting. It’s the NSV’s that give us that confidence boost to keep on with that extra energy.
    Well done at the BBQ Squidge, it’s great when you can follow the WOE without you’re missing out on anything.
    Maggie

• posted by Tillybud
    on

Mrs T that spa day and swimming costume sound perfect. Go for it girl.
    Maggie Bath the oils sound wonderful. I’ve got a lavender oil and tea tree oil lurking at the back of the bathroom cabinet that are at least 8 years old. Time to bin and get some really fresh new smelly ones.
    My NSV is being able to sit down, bend down and fasten shoes without having to open legs wide enough to accommodate big belly N boobs!
    I feel more ladylike now!
    KOKO everyone, it’s a new week!
    Tilly xx

• posted by Tillybud
    on

Verano: Good luck with your readings today. 🤞

• posted by alliecat
    on

Oh Tillybud! I DO remember just what that felt like! It’s good to be reminded of it too, to ensure that we never
    go back to that place! One of the very best NSV for me is being able to move effortlessly from place to place.
    No more groaning every time I make a positional change, either 🙂 I feel more ladylike too!

• posted by Verano
    on

I now have my WHY…… I am doing this to remain drug free after a close call this morning with my diabetes nurse this morning!

• posted by KazzUK
    on

JGwen – thank you for setting this thread up. Great idea. 🙂 Congratulations on the “new” top! I’m doing the same today… wearing a floaty, ethnic style, long smocky top with my culottes ( wide leg trousers with flappy ankle fabric!! 😉 ) and the ticket inspector guard at the station this morning, stopped me as I went through the barrier. He’s a bit of an old flirt. He said, “hi ya, good weekend?” to which I replied, “yes lovely thanks, you?”. He said “who are you trying to impress today then?” as he scanned me top to bottom with a killer smile …. I said, “what?… this old thing…? I’m just trying to look cool in these temps…” He said… “well… you’re doing an excellent job of it!” 🙂 Anyway, I’ll take that as my NSV today thank you very much – a man flirting with me for the first time in 6 years! 🙂 KOKO!!
    Kazzeexxx

• posted by marie123
    on

JGwen, this is a great idea. I do think I’m going to enjoy reading all these NSVs. Isn’t it a great feeling when you can get into your favourite clothes again, and I do like the sound of the smocky top and cullotte thing going on Kazzee. I might have to live vicariously through you and Mrs T and her turquoise (one of my favourite colours)swimming costume!

Squidge – it’s lovely isn’t it when people eventually begin to notice your weight loss!

Tilly, great NSV – yes, I still get a real kick out of being able to swing my foot up on a chair to tie my shoelace (what’s more, they’re the trainers I use when I’m going to exercise – woohoo, yes, that’s me talking!)

Elle – almost didn’t go to exercise class today (I’m not a completely changed woman quite yet!), but thought of you and pushed on xx

Allie – I will post the recipes as long as you recognise I’m no Mary Berry!

• posted by Nicola12
    on

JGwen, thank you so much for setting up this thread, just what I needed to make me realise that this forum will continue to be helpful for my journey even if I’m not quite as ‘all in’ as others (and as I used to be).

I have a few NSV aims: to keep beating my best time for a mountain bike circuit behind our house, I’ve done it twice and have done it in 45 minutes; I’d like to keep reducing this.

My boyfriend joined the gym last week, and I intent to join this week after looking at the classes (and hearing about the pool!) Then my aim is to go at least once a week and track changes in my fitness levels.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Well done, Tillybud! I bet you’ll start finding lots of things easier now.

Kazz, what a nice reaction – and your outfit sounds perfect for this weather.

I think this thread will be great inspiration for sticking with this WOE, should any of us find we’re tempted to quit. (I don’t think it’s hard exactly to stay eating low carb, but we do have to plan and pay attention to what we’re buying and eating, and the easy options foodwise all seem to be high carb.)

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi, All! I’m crazy happy to see all the positive energy here today..I love it!!!

Kazz, thanks for the wonderful story! Now of course I want to see your very “hip” outfit!

I’ve noticed a NSV today, also. Summers in New England can be hot and humid if you live away from the coast.
    Fortunately we have central air conditioning, but I’ve discovered that I now need to set the thermostat at a higher
    temp. because I get too cold 🙂 I hope this will translate into lower electric bills!

Allie

• posted by zinny
    on

Out walking today with King Zinny and I noticed that my leggings were very loose around my calves. I’m wanting to laugh as when I bought these Lycra leggings they certainly were at the maximum capacity for stretch! What a struggle to get them on! now they glide on !

• posted by Ellem
    on

Well accountability really does work – last night I’d had a long day, and I was regretting posting that I would exercise on Tuesday, and wondering if I could just not bother, and maybe you guys wouldn’t notice 🙄. Then I read your post Marie123, and thought, well Marie did it, so I HAVE to 😊. And I did. And now I feel all happy and pleased with myself. Thank you Marie!

Have a good day everyone.

• posted by marie123
    on

Elle – works both ways – but I’m happy to think I helped you, too. xx

Nicola – I’m glad you’re here xx

• posted by Nicola12
    on

Thank you Marie 😊

No NSVs for me today, but reading all of yours have got me reminiscing about how I used to feel when I was “all in” so, thank you! x

• posted by Ellem
    on

Hello, how is everyone? I have an NSV to report – I just tried on my UK size 12 jeans and they fit! Yay. 😄😄😄

Skinnytobe – I managed a 40 second plank today 😜

• posted by marie123
    on

Ellem – wow, size 12 jeans – hurray!! I bet you’re thrilled xx

My non-scale victory – I’ve just got back from my new Pilates class this morning. I feel like a cat that’s just had a big, old, long stretch…… lovely.

Prior to last August I was a complete couch potato and to be quite frank, it’s my natural inclination and I liked it that way. However, I did Pilates last year for the first time as part of an Exercise on Referral scheme; it’s one of the activities I genuinely enjoyed. Since the scheme ended in May, I’ve struggled to develop my own exercise/activity routine – but anyway, went to a new Pilates class today – and still loved it. So, I’ve now found 2 things I enjoy – walking and Pilates. Success! Going to explore possibilities of dance next – outside of my kitchen.

n.b. Thinking about it, I don’t mind the exercise class because everyone’s great – just the gym I need to work on.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Well done, Ellem! That’s excellent. (I could probably do up a sixe 12, but not breath afterwards! Getting there though.)

It’s great you’ve found exercise you enjoy, Marie. I’ve never tried Pilates, or yoga … or lots of other things. At the moment I walk a lot and sometimes go for a short jog, but it’ll be harder to do as much in the winter, and less pleasant, so I need to find something else.

My NSV – my thighs no longer rub together when I wear shorts! Actually, I think my legs look pretty good all over.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Marie – I absolutely love Pilates also. So pleased to hear that you are enjoying your classes.

My NSV today was that there was only a bath towel in the shower room because I had forgotten to get the huge bath sheet that I usually us e.

The towel wrapped right around me – no gaps. I have needed a bath sheet for years and years because a bath towel just wouldn’t wrap around me. I was so pleased – it felt really great. I will continue to use the bath sheets because they feel so luxurious as there is now so much towelling to wrap around me – it feels like yards and yards of towelling..

• posted by Squidge
    on

That made me smile, Krysia! Being able to fit into a smaller towel seems such a funny thing to be pleased about, yet I can absolutely see why you are. It must be really nice to have a big one because you want to, not because you need it.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Guys, I am glad that so many of us are enjoying NSV’s. I find counting my victories helps me remember how far I have come.
    Work commitments meant that I couldn’t travel into town during the week so I didn’t get to the gym, but I did manage to fit in 10 hours of working on a woodworking project during the week as well as my every day work, so I guess that involved some extra calories burnt even if it didn’t bring the work on building muscles that I wanted to do.
    I did receive compliments over this weekend on how much fitter / healthier I looked and how nice it was to see me being able to walk briskly when doing the chores against the way it was obviously a struggle for me to walk this time last year.

• posted by Ellem
    on

Loving hearing all these NSVs.
    Krysia, I love the bath towel story. Excellent
    Marie, well done keeping up the Pilates.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Squidge and Ellem – when our daughters stay with us they just wrap a bath towel around them – I never dreamt that I would ever be able to do that. It is lovely knowing l can now – even though I will still be using the big bath sheet because it feels so luxurious.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

JGwen – you have come such a long way since last year. It must have been so lovely to receive those complements. You must have improved significantly for people to notice.

• posted by Squidge
    on

I agree – for people to mention it, you must have improved a great deal, JGwen.

• posted by Skinny-to-be
    on

Good morning ladies,
    I’ve been reading this thread but haven’t posted anything. My NSV is my belt. I’ve been on my last hole since Wednesday last week. Thought it weird but guess what….I still wear that belt at its smallest 4 days later.
    I thought I would skip the plank today, but Ellem breathing down my neck with 40seconds I’ll go in right now to plank (I’ve been sitting in the garden since 5.20am as it’s almost 18 degrees, and only in my pyjamas 😜.)
    Will come back to tell you how many seconds the app has allocated for me this morning. Over the past few days it was 70seconds so I’m dreading it may get increased any day now….
    For now, all my love,
    Skinny to be
    xx

• posted by Skinny-to-be
    on

…yep, im back, it was still 70 seconds and just when I thought I cannot hold it anymore the whistle came to tell me the 70 seconds are over.

My another NSV was at the weekend when I occupied my hands by clearing and cleaning the bathroom and then had a long bubble bath with the lavender oil drops to prevent me from roaming round the house and eat. Yesterday I kept my hands occupied too and have painted my toe nails taupe and my finger nails cranberry. I look very pretty…well my nails look very pretty 😄.

Hope you have a lovely day,
    All my love,
    Skinny to be
    xxx

• posted by zinny
    on

My N SV well I wore a pair of shorts in public this weekend just gone and people did not run screaming or try to cover their children’s eyes or scream that the circus must be coming, look at the fat clown.!
    I never ever thought I would be brave enough to wear shorts in public! These are fat face ladies denim Bermuda shorts size 12 with a button fly!
    I wore them yesterday driving up from Pembrokeshire to Yorkshire and no one batted an eyelid on the services or anywhere else. I must just look normal, nothing to make me stand out . I still feel ( big) and this is something I will have to work on and I’ve got lots of flabby bits too, but I never thought I would be in shorts outside of my garden!
    Well done everyone , we are doing great with our NSVs .

• posted by Ellem
    on

Oh. My. Goodness!!!!! I have the most amazing personal NSV to report. So, five days ago I posted that I was excited to fit into my size 12 jeans. Well today, I realised I was constantly hitching them up, and they were really loose. So, not quite believing it, I pulled out some size 10s (I have clothes from UK size 8-16 in my wardrobe!🙄Yeah, I know!). And the10s actually fit!!!! Admitedly they are bit tight, and I did jump up and down a couple of times when pulling them on, but they fit!!!! I am stunned! And I’m doing the happy dance around the house. It’s such a surprise, considering this week I only lost 1lb. 💃🏼🌞😁💥😁🌞

I hope you dont mind me sharing, but I knew you guys would totally get how incredible it feels. Six weeks from 14/16 to 10. I LOVE this way of eating. If I could meet Michael Mosely right now I would give him a hug! And if I could see all of you too I would be running round hugging you too, for being so supportive. 🤗🤗🤗

• posted by Ellem
    on

Yay Zinny, that’s ace! And have a good time in Yorkshire.

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi all
    I haven’t got an NSV today but I do love reading all these NSVs. Great thread JGwen. (Btw, thought I hadn’t seen you posting, take care in this heat)

Krysia – I love the bath towel story – what a success!

Elle – what a fantastic result – SIZE 10 jeans, I’ve never been able to get into size 10 trousers in my life.

and Skinny to be, the belt is a great NSV, too. I’ve never thought of that one. I must dig some out and give it a go. Btw, I love the cranberry/taupe nail varnish thing going on.

Zinny – that did make me laugh, but no! no circus here. I can’t wear shorts any more (old scars, long story) but never mind, I’m just going to live vicariously thru you – so much so I’ve just googled your Fat Face shorts – nice!
    That’s quite a way to drive. I was in North Yorkshire yesterday at Fountains Abbey, then Ripon, finishing in Osmotherley for a nice BSD pub dinner before driving back up to the North-East. A happy family day, oh ….. and 20,000 plus steps – so I’ve guess there’s an NSV after all!

Marie
    Elle, you’re still behind Skinny on the plank, mind! xx

• posted by Ellem
    on

Haha, yes good point, Marie, I can’t get too cocky 🤣

I’ve just googled 20,000 steps and thats around 10 miles!

• posted by marie123
    on

Krysia – I forgot to say, yes, I’m really enjoying the Pilates. It’s definitely one of the things I can see myself sticking with.

Btw, just as an update.
    I posted 2 NSV goals on here early on so thought I’d better feedback. One was to get back into my activity/exercise routine. I feel like I’ve made a good start on that – went to 2 exercise classes, Pilates and Gym once last week, and still in that routine this week – as well as doing my steps. So pretty pleased with that as I’m still an early-days exerciser and I know I was letting it slip.

The second goal was to try out 2 new meals a week and post the recipes on here – hmm, not going so well.
    Last week, I did make the keto burger recipe on diet doctor https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-hamburger-patties-tomato-sauce-cabbage which we all enjoyed.
    Then, I made a keto pizza, also from diet doctor, which didn’t go so well for me (probably my cooking).
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-pizza.

I’ve decided to knock that goal on the head for now. The problem is I still have one son living at home, and I find myself making something for him and OH, and then making something else for myself, 2 types of pizza being a case in point. It’s just not working. My son is moving out into his own place in a couple of months – another NSV, much as I love him – so I’ll give it another go then.

• posted by marie123
    on

Elle – wow, 10 miles, is it! No wonder my feet hurt. Glad I didn’t know that yesterday. Mind, I’ve got such short legs in my case it might only be 5!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Oh Marie, your comment did make me laugh!!! I have the opposite problem 🙂 At 5’7″, I have a long stride, and
    nobody ever wants to accompany me on a walk because they fall behind! I had a bizarre accident last Autumn…
    I even walk too fast around the house now, so much so that I ran into a wall and gave myself a hematoma
    on my forehead, a black eye, and a concussion! Who does that??? I actually had to go for a CT scan! I’ve tried
    to slow down on the 45 degree corners since then… What a clown?!?!

• posted by marie123
    on

Sorry to have missed you, Allie – I was just on another thread talking to you ?!?! That is so funny – exactly how fast were you going?

Please log in or register to post a reply.