My inspiration

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Girlybrewer
    on

My first ever post on any forum anywhere!
    After listening to Michael Mosley on the Chris Evans breakfast show last week I thought his book may be helpful. My Mum has type 2 diabetes and died aged 76. I already have high blood pressure, and am pre diabetic. At only 5ft tall and over 14st I do not want diabetes but have always lacked the will power or motivation to do anything about it, far easier to bury my head in the sand and have another glass of beer or wine. I knew all the cliches, only I could change myself, eat less and move more etc etc., but knew this was the time to change.
    So book ordered delivered and read on Friday night. YIPPEE, something that I thought might work to make me healthier and ensure I didn’t develop the dreaded disease.
    Now on day 3 and feeling so much better already. Very daunted by the thought of trying to lose 56lbs in weight, I know this is a long journey, but so far feeling determined, and my lovely husband has joined me so extra motivation. I am sure it is going to be tough, but this forum I am sure will help me achieve my goal.

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

Hi Girlybrewer, Welcome, well done and just keep focussed on your goals, small at first until you get into the swing of it. many of us are 13 weeks or more in and have experienced the ups and downs. Use the search bar above and glean all you can. The book is a guide, don’t beat your self up. Eat well, eat less drink and exercise when you can and do not worry about anything. If you cut down on white foods and sugar in particular you will likely succeed just like most of us have. Cheerio for now…

• posted by Girlybrewer
    on

SkyWalker, thanks for the encouragement. A bit of a stumble today as I haven’t drunk enough water and now have the headache that everyone talks about. I won’t do that again! But I did manage to resist the bacon butties in the brewery this morning, my staff are mostly very supportive, except one who says I won’t stick it, which is actually a very good incentive to prove them wrong. A bit worried about tomorrow as I am on the road all day, so just trying to plan something easy to eat on the move, any suggestions would be very welcome.

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

OK, I am in week 16 now and have had the occasional 2 rashers with poached egg, plum tomatoes and lots of mushrooms cooked in olive oil with a spoonful of water and it is all good. Remember if you need a treat tweak the calories in other meals. It must be rewarding if you are to succeed in a work atmosphere. I now know that bread and alcohol are the worst offenders in my previous diet not that I ever drank more than an occasional wine or Guinness. I have reintroduced small amounts of potato and some seeded crispbread with salads and not gaining yet. I am a static BMI 25.4 now and can eat mostly what I have come to accept as normal. I miss puddings of course but had a crumble at the pub the other night as a single course treat along with a pint one 5:2 non fast day.

• posted by sandals
    on

Hi Girlybrewer

I heard Michael on the radio too and ordered the book. I started on Monday and have felt fine, and not that hungry which was a surprise. I have told everyone at my work and all my friends so that it will motivate me to keep going. Normally I “diet” in secret so its no big deal if I don’t succeed, but I am determined this time to shift the weight.

It is difficult when you are out and about, I haven’t got to grips with all the recipe ideas yet, I had lentil soup for lunch on Monday, and then lettuce with crab from the book for the last two days which is delicious.
    We are going out for a department lunch to an Italian tomorrow – resisting the pizza is going to be hard!

• posted by JCH187
    on

Ditto me three! The book arrived Friday and I started on Saturday, 5 days in now and 5lbs lighter. I’m struggling with feeling a bit wobbly in the mornings but it goes by mid morning. Something really clicked for me with this way of eating and I felt ready to start controlling my food rather than it controlling me. The cravings have gone, still feel hungry now and then but this is getting better each day.

I find the key is being prepared, each meal is planned with meals in the freezer too and I always take my lunch with me. I’m teetotal so that’s not a problems for me, but cakes in the office was my downfall until this week!

Good luck with your diet!

• posted by sandals
    on

I am the same JCH – no cravings yet.
    I feel like I have a hangover this morning! A bit dehydrated and a sore head. I have increased my water intake, but I guess I need to drink more. 4.75lbs lost so far, bring on day 4.

• posted by Girlybrewer
    on

My day on the road was fine. I had ‘brunch’ for breakfast of mushrooms and omelette then didn’t need anything else til I got home tonight, just lots of water while on the road. The benefit of delivering to pubs is there is always a loo handy!!!

Please log in or register to post a reply.