My Husbands blood sugar is high – "no big deal is it?"

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Ruby Sugar
    on

I am type 1 diabetic and have been for almost 40 years now. For the past couple of months my husband hasn’t been feeling well and he put it down to stress. I tested his blood sugar this weekend, I was a little suspicious that this was what was causing the problem and there it was on my monitor, 7.9. It stayed like that for a few days until Tuesday when i started him on the BSD. Last night it was at 5.6, this proves it works if you follow the rules. Already he’s telling me he wants something sweet for breakfast. I spent all day yesterday cooking low carb food that he could have at work and for breakfast. Today I have made him some blueberry, apple and coconut flour muffins. I’ve tasted one. They are not very sweet.

When I showed him his result on Sunday he said, “that’s normal.” It might be normal for a type 1 like me but you’re not a type 1 diabetic. I’ll check his blood again when he comes home and see what it is. Will update his results tomorrow and more of my my mini battles making him eat real food.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Ruby, you are a hero or heroine, lets hope he appreciates you. I think your battles with hubby might become comedy classics and I look forward to reading more.

• posted by Ruby Sugar
    on

Thank you Sunshine, I appreciate any support I can get. Have interrogated him on what he has had to eat tonight while he was out, not good so far ๐Ÿ™ update tomorrow if I haven’t killed him with nagging or an insulin injection ๐Ÿ™‚ Joke xx

• posted by Natalie
    on

I don’t know when you tested him, 7.8 is the upper limit of normal two hours after meals so he’s only just over. But the sooner you catch it the easier it is to reverse.

• posted by Snoop
    on

Maybe a visit to the doctor would be in order. It might shock him into taking things seriously.

• posted by Ruby Sugar
    on

Hi Natalie, his 7.9 result was a Sunday morning, fasting blood sugar result. Thanks Snoop, he’s going to the doctors on Monday, the nurse will test him then but I don’t know if they will do a HBA1c or just the finger prick test? He doesn’t shock easy, he appears to be very laid back but I know he is stressed out at the moment about other things.

He’s become a little resistant to the diet. He’s only been on it for two days but it’s not like I’m eating anything different to him or sitting there tucking into chips or potatoes. So I think I need to just get on with it, stop testing his blood for the time being and carry on like this is the normal way of doing things. Anyone got any advice on how they’ve worked with their family on this?

Last night he went out, he plays cards on Wednesdays for a local team. Each pub lays food on and of course he had one pint which isn’t too bad as he will only have one. I gave him a verbal list last night of what he could eat and what he couldn’t eat and what he shouldn’t drink. It went like this;

no chips, no bread or rolls, no pies or pastry and no drinks that are low calorie but you can eat cheese, onion, salad, any vegetables that they include and have a coffee. What does he eat? A burger and the bun. He said, “I didn’t eat the chips.” His blood sugar was 6.6 when he got home and it was the same this morning ๐Ÿ™

I’ll see how things go without me testing his blood, I think maybe he might ask me to test it as he has done before., don’t know, will wait and see.

Ruby ๐Ÿ™‚

on

Hi Ruby, poor lad, he might not have anything wrong with him and you are forcing him into a regime that he is resistant to. Yes, he is going to eat when he is out of your sight. I know my husband would. I don’t know how strict you are being food wise but you have posted in the BSD section and not the 800. My husband does not have anything wrong with him except high BP which has come down a lot but I haven’t put him on my diet. When I make something like coq au vin, I will say, do you want rice with that, or maybe a stew I say, do you want potatoes. If he says yes I give him a small portion but more and more he says, no not to bother. He will maybe have a slice of bread to mop up the gravy.

You will have heard the saying, you can take a horse to water etc……. Be gentle with him and slowly slowly he might get the message. If his blood tests come back pre-diabetic or diabetic, then you can get out the big stick.

Think about your own health and stick with this, even though it is not designed for T1 it can only been good for you in so many ways. Keep on keeping on….

on

I hope you are still with us Ruby, looking forward to hearing about your husband’s trials and tribulations with his food. Bless, we have to be sneaky to get them to do what we want.

• posted by Ruby Sugar
    on

Hi Sunshine, yes I’m still here but we have had a lot to sort this week with mum in law not being very well ๐Ÿ™ Anyway, I took him off the diet and have allowed him to eat whatever he wants within reason. He needs to get the results from the nurse who he sees on Monday and so I’ve decided too let her do the deed as he needs to hear it from someone other than me.

Day one – gave him his lunch (not BSD food) and he got a snickers bar straight after it?
    Day two – he’s been pretty good. We had salad yesterday for lunch, I couldn’t eat all my evening meal as I was still full. Husband ate his meal no problem but didn’t get a snickers, result.
    Day three is today. It’s going to be hectic today. His Mum is in the hospice and we have to sort some stuff out this afternoon before going to see her. I’ll let him eat what he wants but I think he will be too distracted to be thinking about food or snickers.

Catch up soon,

Ruby ๐Ÿ™‚

on

Hi Ruby sorry you hear you mil has been ill, does the care fall to you. It is good you are letting hubby eat as he pleases, it will make the results more real, rather than what his bloods would have been like if he was on this diet. If it is bad news you can then try to get him to listen. Last night I made stir fry ginger pork and even before I asked hubby said, don’t bother with any rice for me, if I want something I will have some bread with it. He didn’t bother with the bread. I asked, his this for you health or what and he said it just didn’t find it appealing any more. So we do get used to this way of eating.

Bon chance (good luck) from France

• posted by Ruby Sugar
    on

Hi Sunshine,

the MIL’s care is under NHS care, she is in the hospice now but they want her to go into a home, she doesn’t want to go into a home. She wants to go home. Problem is her care needs are too high now for a care company so they can no longer meet her care needs.

Stir fry ginger pork sounds delicious ๐Ÿ™‚

I will update when he gets his blood results, hopefully as you say the nurse might be able to shed some light that he will see and understand?

Are you in France for a holiday or do you live over there?

Take care, Ruby ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Ruby Sugar
    How did hubby’s blood test results go?
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by Ruby Sugar
    on

Hi Linda, his tests came back as normal so I think it could have been stress related, his mum is very ill. I will keep an eye on him and recheck him in a month or so. I still think he’s probably got type because you don’t get a fasting blood sugar of 7.9 first thing in the morning. At least he isn’t eating as many chocolate biscuits and his tummy has gone down a little bit. I’ll have to keep working on him ๐Ÿ™‚

Take care

Ruby ๐Ÿ™‚

on

RubySugar, I did a random test on my hubby to compare what a BG should be like before and after eating, using him as the non diabetic normal reading; surprise, surprise his reading were both higher than mine, and my BG returned to normal much faster. All I can say to that is that this diet is really working.

Cook him some of the lovely meals from the book or this site and he should be okay. I think we all worry about our families health more than our own.

• posted by Ruby Sugar
    on

Hi Sunshine Girl,

thank you for your reply. What worries me is the fact that I know what it’s like to run a higher than normal blood sugar and for everyone who has diabetes, type 1 or 2 it’s not good. I always cook him good meals ha ha, I try, honest I do but some days you just think, nope he’s getting the oven chips and and a couple of eggs, I’m worn out ๐Ÿ™‚

And yes we all probably worry more than we should about our loved ones but that’s why we love them.

We have not been eating a lot of rubbish over Christmas and I have been extra careful with regard to the Christmas shopping this year and haven’t bought a load of sweets, chocolates or anything else that could increase my blood sugar or his.

My tactic is to wait and see, like I said it is probably stress but I will be keeping my beady eye on him ๐Ÿ™‚

Ruby x

Please log in or register to post a reply.