Midway through Week 1…Feeling off, tired and dizzy

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by jotsaroop
    on

Hi,

I’m 29years old and recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. My Blood Suagr levels were initially 52 but after a go at the 5:2 they dropped to 48.

I still have an amount of fat around my midrift. I’m about 80kg with roughly 30% body fat (according to my Fitbit scale). In the last 4 days its dropped from about 82.5kg to 79.9kg so something is working.

I’m on Day 4 and today seems to be the toughest. I’m feeling very tired, and dizzy. I’ve been calculting my means and they generally seem low carb.

Anyone else have or had this kind of issue? does it pass? should I do something different?

Thanks,
    Jot

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Lots of people have jotsaroop, we call it the carb flu, the symptoms usually pass in a couple of days, until then make sure you get the 2 – 3 litres of fluid per day to keep you hydrated and take painkillers for any headaches.

• posted by jotsaroop
    on

Very interesting! if you are talking about a ‘flu’, does this also include a blocked nose?….trying to figure out if it’s to do with this diet or hayfever…

I did have the worst headache just above my eye this morning and had some paracetamol.

Thanks for the reply.

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Jot,
    The flu like symptoms and headaches, lightheadness etc are all fairly common symptoms of carb withdrawal. Some people also report feeling tired and teary or short tempered during this stage too. It does pass quickly, a few days should see you feeling much better.
    As Bill advised, take some painkillers for the headaches and make sure you keep your fluid intake up. You need 2-3l of non sugary fluids per day. You will also feel a lot better if you make sure you are including a decent amount of fat in your diet. All your dairy products should be full fat, it stops you feeling hungry and encourages your body to burn fat for fuel rather than carbs.
    You are nearly through the worst bit so hang in there. Great results so far too, well done ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by jotsaroop
    on

Thank you for your replies!
    Feeling much better today and yes, I made an extra effort to add some healthy fats, so added a lot more avacado, and olive oil to my meals and feel a lot better for it!

• posted by Juliet
    on

Hi jotsaroop

Well done sticking through the tough bit and congratulations on the weight loss!
    I’m only in my second week and have lost 7lb (gained one of my lost pounds and plateaued for the past few days but not getting hung up about it and putting it down to all things female : ( ). I basically was surviving on carbs before this and I have had ‘carb flu’ symptoms and huge hunger since I started, but I have to say the hunger is definitely subsiding, as are the horrible symptoms. I still had pains across the top of my nose yesterday, along with a stuffy headache, a bit like sinusitis but I’m guessing I’m just taking longer to shake it off as I was so steeped in bad carb habits.
    Persevere! We will get there and it will be sooooooo worth it!
    Good luck – you’re doing brilliantly!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Jotsaroop, welcome to the forums and congratulations on your weight loss so far, we’ll look forward to reading your successes on your BSD journey! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Penners
    on

Jotsaroop …..part way through week 2 I felt awful. Dizzy, headache, nausea etc. I drank gallons of water and about 36 hours later felt as right as ninepence. Most people go through it. Stick with it as the ongoing weight loss results are amazing x

• posted by Autumn
    on

This was so good to hear! I am in my first week and experiencing all the above symptoms: tired, emotional, stuffy, and lightheadedness. So good to hear this will pass soon ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks Jotsaroop for asking, and thanks everyone else for the info!

Please log in or register to post a reply.