Matthew's 8 weeks starting May 9th 2016

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Matthew Charles
    on

Excited to be starting my 8 weeks of very low calorie Monday May 9th 2016. I don’t do a lot of cooking so I have a learning curve with recipes. My current thoughts on eating is this. Oatmeal or eggs for breakfast. Soup or salad for lunch. Steamed veggies/soup for dinner. Absolutely no bread, pasta, starchy veggies, or sugar drinks.
    The book mentioned prepackaged shakes or meals that I would love to try just for the convenience factor. I believe real natural food is the best but I would like to have a fallback when I’ve been lazy and don’t get to the grocery. I’m in the US and if anyone can point me the right direction for the prepackaged items I would appreciate it.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi

You don’t say if you’re diabetic. Some diabetics can eat oatmeal, others find if spikes their blood sugar. You could have eggs, bacon, tomatoes and mushrooms for breakfast. Sounds like you’re on the right track 😃 Let us know your progress. Any more questions, just ask.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Matthew! Nice to see another person from the US on the site! Welcome and good wishes as you begin. I live in California and ran across the BSD book in London on the way to a ski holiday — that was February and I am on week 10. Although I have been cranky, hungry and sometimes so frustrated, I have lost almost eight inches from my waist in ten weeks. i have found I am most satisfied with real food — and for me the less carbohydrate the better (even below 20 grams per day). That might knock out the oatmeal but there are plenty of great things to substitute! I find myself wanting simple food, eggs, cheese, vegies, salad, meat — I use olives and a couple of nuts for snacks — I hope you enjoy the blog, it can be very supportive.

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Matthew Charles
    Welcome. If you are wanting to use shakes see my post to : nonnie on Forum – Starting the BSD, Topic – Starting again. Posted May 9th at 19.00

It’s about the Optifast shake used in the original diet trial. Look at the contents of the shake & match it as best you can with shakes you can get in the US. Optifast is an OZ (Australian) shake, we can’t readily get in the UK. It was devised by medics & nutritionalists in OZ.

Prof Roy Taylor, Newcastle uni, used Optifast in the original diet trial, but he said you could buy what you wanted to shake wise. See – http://www.ncl.ac.uk
    Good luck
    Eureka

• posted by Ziggy
    on

When I was diagnosed with diabetes, I trained myself to eat oatmeal – the best sort too – steel cut unprocessed. I say ‘trained’ as I hated oatmeal, it tasted like wallpaper paste and made me gag! So I forced myself to eat it and …… it spiked my BG levels quite a lot (so I was secretly pleased to not have to eat it)
    Portion sizes are also important, I know that most people who eat cereals and other box-based breakfast stuffs use 2 or 3 times the recommended portion size.

Please log in or register to post a reply.