Maintaining your social life on the bsd

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Lucyjane
    on

How do you do it? I have a whole series of parties in a couple of weeks, including a wedding how on earth am I going to get through, maintain, the diet, and not be miserable? I love champagne!

• posted by Frog
    on

have one or two glasses, and sparkling water the rest of the time
    Many of the people posting here give up things they love, or have them in moderation, because they choose to be healthier.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

This is basically what I do. I tend to only drink on my non-fast 800 days, as I don’t feel comfortable reducing my nutrition further on those days, but on many of the other maintenance days I will have a couple of glasses of wine/prosecco and either intersperse them or follow them with sparkling water with a slice of lemon.

I have just got back from a leaving drink with a colleague, and had just the sparkling water as today was an 800 day, while the rest had beer or cocktails. It gets easier with practice.

• posted by Lucyjane
    on

Hm I don’t know that I trust myself to stop at at two. Iam just ending the first week of the blood sugar diet. I think I will give myself 3 passes out if the 8 weeks for unavoidables like weddings and that’s it. How many 800 days are you doing? Are you still losing?

• posted by Antigone
    on

Hi Lucy Jane. I’ve had a disastrous week5&6 through partying etc I am not proud of myself 🙁 However I console my self with the thought that I would have done the same on top of my old eating patterns previously ( and actually on my worst day i totalled about 1200 calories which soon averages out). I think this Eating regime changes your tastebuds so you start to not enjoy the old treats.You have to have a social life so just do your best with the BSD rules but enjoy yourself.

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Lucyjane and everyone else on this thread😀
    Welcome to the BSD!
    I’m now on my 21st week on the BSD 800. I’ve lost 27.5kg (60lbs in old money) and I’ve just today bought a size 10 pair of jeans to celebrate. This is compared to when I started where I was squeezing myself into a size 16!!
    I’m not T2 or had blood sugar issues in the past and I’m 56 yo and post menopausal.
    As far as alcohol is concerned, I advise that you go cold turkey and cut it out. Especially until you reach your goal weight. It doesn’t help with your willpower and I hear the hangovers are atrocious!
    In saying that, I’ve only had a total of 3.5 glasses of wine all up since I started as I decided not to risk it😀 I actually don’t much feel like it anymore.
    My tips:
    – treat this as a way of eating for the rest of your life, it can’t just be an 8 week plan. I’m still not eating simple carbs or any sugar, but I have increased my cals so that I stabilise to where I am now (62-63kg). If you go back to what you used to eat, you’ll go back to the way you used to look and feel!
    – Record everything that passes your lips on an app, I use EasyDietDiary, but I’m in Australia and not sure if you can download it elsewhere.
    – Drink at least 2-3 litres of non calorie fluid per day, this is vital. Most of mine comes from herbal teas.
    – Eat full fat everything, no low fat or lite. Don’t be afraid of eating fat, by not eating carbs, your metabolism switches to a state of ketosis (burns fat) and the increased fat levels will help you feel fuller for longer.
    – try to do at least 10,000 steps per day. I have gone from 0 – at least that, sometimes double that and now get up an hour earlier in the morning before work to go for a walk. No excuses, well, except when it’s raining!
    – Stick to less that 50g of carbs per day and if you find you are not losing weight, drop it to 40, then 30 until you do lose weight. You will be surprised at just how much you can eat within 800 cals per day. The trick is to record everything and not guess. Particularly with fruit, it is much higher in carbs than what you might think!
    – Read the forum every day and look through the other threads as you can pick up a lot of tips along the way, both of what to do and what not to do!
    – Treat every day as a new day and if you fall off the wagon, just get back on straight away.
    Best of luck and feel free to ask questions of any of the old timers as we are only too happy to help.
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I’ve not been doing the fast 800 so far but adding a varying number of fast 800 days to 1600 calorie maintenance days, trying to train myself on portion size as well as cutting the carbs right back. I started on classic 5:2 then went to 4:3 and have switched to 2:5 for September prior to an 8 weeks hit out for October November. My willpower used to be as bad as anybodies, but like anything else it gets better with exercise and my metabolism certainly likes the diet. I am just three pounds off losing six stone, have lost 30% of my weight as at last February 2015 (reached yesterday and celebrated with just one glass of red wine on top of my 800, I had still lost a pound this morning). I have lost 8 pounds since the start of September, and am just starting to fit into size 14 clothes from a high of size 22. I am not saying it is a solution for everyone, I came to the BSD side of the diet relatively late having already exercised my willpower with some protracted no alcohol diets like the Whole Approach diet some years ago, and find it relatively to control my intake now. That said, after the Whole Approach I fell back into my bad old habits and put all the weight back on plus some extra hence my current emphasis on self education rather than just dieting. The maintenance training I am doing is for the rest of my life. No going back to the obese me ever again, and if I do indulge in a night out/christmas/wedding then I will just add an extra fast day until the added weight goes away.

• posted by Peewee
    on

Hi Linds awesome tips thank you been on BSD for 5 days now not much luck yet will keep going x

Please log in or register to post a reply.