Low carbs harmful?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Michael Rolls
    on

I have had success with the 8 weeks/800 system in 2016, but have lapsed a bit of late – needed a pacemaker after a heart scare, then my wife and brother died in quick succession leaving me in something of a ‘so what’ attitude, so felt that I needed to go back to it (I have put a bit of weight back on and BG isn’t as good as it was, although not TOO bad) but in today’s Telegraph I was concerned to see the results of 20 years of research in Boston following 15,428 adults aged 45-64. Research started in 1987 and found that those who had a low carb diet (which the research regarded as under 50%) had an average age at death of 79 whereas those with a high carb diet averaged 83.
    Comments?
    Mike

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi Michael. First of all I’m so sorry to hear of your loss. That’s terribly sad.
    We’ve been discussing this report on the Take a look at This thread today if you’d like to head over to that. Some interesting comments from us BSDers….
    Kazzee

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Hi Michael, sorry to hear of your loss, but welcome back. The research seems to conclude, from what I can see, that the particular low carb variant better known as original Atkins is not recommended, it isn’t low carb per se that is the issue, but greatly increased animal protein and animal fats that characterises the ‘unhealthier’ diet. New Atkins, BSD, and various other varieties of low carb or Keto diets also stress that healthy fats and a reasonable amount of protein only should be part of a healthy diet. Excess protein is turned to sugar after all so is just as bad for you as the white stuff.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Michael – so sorry to hear of the really difficult time you have gone through. I cannot imagine just how difficult it has been. It’s so nice to see you back on the forum with what sounds like not too horrendous blood sugars.

Mixnmatch is absolutely right about the modern low carb diet. It is full of above ground vegetable, seeds and nuts and healthy fats. I agree with KazzUK that you will be interested in the posts on this subject on the Take a Look at This thread.

• posted by Michael Rolls
    on

Thanks, folks. I’ll have a look at the thread
    Mike

Please log in or register to post a reply.