less than helpful OH

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by oldbluejeans
    on

anyone else struggle with an OH who doesn’t ‘do’ diets (or anything vaguely like healthy eating) and consequently doesn’t appreciate the effort that needs to go into it? I get comments like ‘that’s not enough to eat’, ‘one biscuit isn’t going to kill you’, ‘you can’t eat like that when we’re out’ etc etc. Mind you OH would be very happy if I was 60kg tomorrow (currently 75kg), just doesn’t like the effort of the journey of me getting there. I just ignore it to be honest but if I’m wavering it’s another hurdle to get over. Anyway OH is obese – I’m not anymore 😄

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Ho oldbluejeans,
    I have a husband and 45 year old daughter ( she is living with us for a while doing a course at the botanical gardens) neither of them are on the diet, daughter is definately not helpful, it’s a real trial sometimes! Husband a bit better, he does encourage me then like tonight, they both go to the local tesco express, ( for a walk!) and come back with chocolate and cake, then ask me do I want some!!!!!
    So you just have to be disciplined, easier said than done, I know, it was our wedding anniversary at the weekend, we got a box of chocolates so I am having one a day after my evening meal, it means my weight loss will be slower, but at least it makes me feel better and it’s only till they are finished which will be at the weekend.
    Have you been doing the recipes out of the book? I did for the first eight weeks, then a adapted some of them, both of my family tried my meals, I just gave them bigger portions with carbs added for them, they did enjoy some of them, could you try that?
    You could perhaps also say things like, I’m am so full I couldn’t eat a thing, when they offer you ‘forbidden’ foods?
    Anyway good luck and keep on keeping on, onwards and downwards!
    Christine

• posted by oldbluejeans
    on

Sorry Christi1948 – only just picked this up as I’ve been busy at work this week. Thanks so much for your suggestions. I think making a base meal and padding his out with carbs is a good idea. Nothing to stop me having a small steak and salad and giving him a larger one with chips. Wish he’d join me though, he’s desperately overweight. Maybe I can dripfeed little hints here and there and drop his portions a bit. Good luck with your’s as well. Think we’ve just got to get selective hearing 🙂

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi oldbluejeans,
    Glad I could be of help, if only in supporting you with your family, like mine, they make the weight loss a bit slower for me ’cause I’m afraid I’m basically weak when it comes to some foods, I can leave all the bread, potatoes, pasta, and rice, but when it comes to chocolate and desserts/puddings, I regularly ‘fall’ off the wagon.
    Have you tried the ‘I’m so full i couldn’t eat another thing yet? Or giving your meals plumped up for them?
    Good luck, how’s your weight loss going?
    Christine

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Most evenings, I have been giving my OH the same meals as me but in larger portions, sometimes with the addition of carbs, sometimes not. Sometimes he will look for something else afterwards – ice cream, or a few biscuits, but quite often not. He has lost almost a stone in the period that I have been doing the BSD and dropped 17lb.
    Hope you manage to find a way forward oldbluejeans. Maybe get yourself an internal mantra to keep you focused and on track. Keep us posted on progress.

Please log in or register to post a reply.