Leap into 2024

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Nokie
    on

Hi yowzer

Yes I agree keep the windows firmly shut it’s cold rainy here in England I am on train 🚂 went to see my granddaughter in school concert last night in Bedford but heading home now
    Hope you are ok Dct and your family been thinking of you at this difficult time 💕
    I haven’t done very well trying to loose my Xmas pounds🙈🙈
    Hopefully the next bus 🚌 I will do better save me a seat 💺 it’s my big birthday in April so I need a new outfit as we are going to see mama Mia and meal afterwards
    Hope everyone is ok and doing well
    Take care and look after yourselves everyone
    Lv nokie x💕

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi everyone,
    I’m back.
    DCT – sorry to hear about your mum. Be kind to yourself during this time, and I’m glad you have the support of your family.

I was a bit premature thinking I could get back to fasting a couple of weeks ago. I’m doing a lot better now, though. So I’m going to try to do some days of 16:8 this week and go from there. My clothes are starting to feel tight again, so I need to give this my best shot. I’ve definitely lost all the ground I had gained before Christmas and my legs are feeling heavy and sore again. Some of that is down to the medical advice to eat small, low-fat meals at regular intervals, and some is just me feeling sorry for myself. But I actually found a section in Dr. Bikman’s book on acid reflux and GERD and it said that eating low carb often improves things quite quickly and that there is a strong corelation between insulin resistance and acid reflux (although nobody has figured out why yet). I tried eating eggs and avocados for a day this week and noticed a big improvement, so it seems like the current medical advice might not be so helpful. Are any of us here surprised about that? Anyway, I have lots of eggs, shrimp, hemp seed, veggies, nuts, frozen berries and yogurt on hand at the moment, so I’m all set for a low-carb week and we’ll see if I can make any progress.
    It’s been much warmer than seasonal here, but we had some colder weather this week and today is unexpectedly snowy. We’ve had over 5cm so far and it’s still coming down hard. I was out pulling up some old plants in the garden on Friday, but it seems like winter is not ready to leave quite yet. We’re very glad of this snow though, as we’re in the middle of a historic drought and every bit of moisture helps at this stage. I’m gardening inside today and sowing lots of hardy annuals that I will hopefully be able to get outside by mid-March.
    KOKO everyone!

• posted by Mariet
    on

Hi everyone, checking in after a couple of weeks. Happy to report that I’m down a total of 6.4kg down since the New Year. Even better, I’m down 5cm from my midriff, 6cm from my waist and 8cm from my hips. I had a longish plateau period which coincided with hot and humid weather and as soon as the weather moderated 3kg fell off in a week.
    I’m sticking to a16-8 eating window and really doing very little exercise because of the hot summer weather.
    I don’t know why it’s working now after trying with little success for so long but yay!
    Keep going everyone, looking forward to seeing others results soon.

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Wow Mariet- I’d love to know your secret to that incredible weight loss in 6 weeks- I’m so envious. I read a book called fast feast repeat at Christmas ans decided to follow the protocol. I’ll cut to the chase- I’ve lost 1 lb in 6 weeks so it’s not worked for me! I’m eating in a five hour window but have basically maintained so this week I am tweaking my fasting plan and doing alternate day fasting. I just can’t seem to lose any weight! I had a stressful week last week so I am putting my lack of weigh loss last week to raised cortisol levels- I’ve had to withdraw from my new job as the 12 hour days with just a 20 minute break are not sustainable. It’s a real shame because I loved it. Working for a greedy corporate company who cram the diary full is a clinical incident waiting to happen so I’m not going back. I didn’t sleep for two nights worrying. Anyway, clean sheet today and am going to do alternate day fasting for two weeks to try and get the scale moving. Fasting isn’t all about weight so it might be that things are happening inside. I’m going to go low carb again as sourdough bread has sneaked into my eating window. Back to basics for me. I feel like I’ve wasted the last 6 weeks but maybe I’ve been preparing my body for today! My resolve is steadfast but I can’t find anything that works at the moment!
    Hope everyone is staying strong and Mariet your weight loss is an inspiration!!! Well done and please share your plan with us.

• posted by Dreamscometrue
    on

Gosh Mariet, well done! I’m so pleased that you are seeing results after trying so hard, that’s fantastic.

Cathy I hope that something shifts for you as well soon. You’re doing all the right things and it seems so unfair that not much seems to be happening. What a shame about the job too, but yes it sounds as if it was unworkable and also risky.

ArcticFox I hope that you continue to see improvements from your low carb efforts – and good luck with all the planting! I really need to start getting the garden cleared and ready for spring but so many other things to sort at the moment. But it really does need a lot of tlc if I’m to avoid the jungle it became last year!

Hi to everyone else and I hope you all have a good week. Still over 2 weeks to go before Leap Day. Good luck!

• posted by Mariet
    on

Thanks DCT and Cathy. It feels good to be able to choose clothes from my wardrobe without being concerned that they’ve shrunk around the middle! Still a way to go though. Another 6kg and i would be happy. That would be a higher weight than I achieved last time but I looked drawn and unwell then so I don’t want to go that low again- though I will if it’s necessary.
    I hardly know what to say, Cathy, about how it’s happened because I feel like a lot of it is due to external conditions. I have struggled dreadfully with the weather this summer- usually my favourite time of the year. The humidity has been so enervating and it leaves me feeling nauseous a lot of the time, no appetite. So my serving sizes are drastically reduced. In fact, now I think about it, they are a lot like the serving sizes I had in 2017 when I lost 25kg, haha.
    I have not been rigidly keto. I have allowed some quantities of whole grains, bulgar wheat or quinoa in tabbouleh etc but the quantities are very small. My diet is pretty restrictive at the moment because I can’t face a large meal or any rich sauces. How will I be when the weather cools in autumn!
    My GP is delighted with the progress and want me to have bloods repeated next month to see if it’s making any difference with the NAFLD.
    Your last job sounds like a nightmare! I am glad you didn’t persevere. It’s frightening to be working under such pressure that you can see an accident waiting to happen.
    My younger sister has been rushed to hospital with suspected meningitis or encephalitis. She lives a few hours up the coast and I didn’t find out for more than a day, her poor daughter must have been distracted trying to do everything for her mum as well as her own young family. I am taking my mother up to Newcastle today to visit her, hopefully there will be some answers about what’s going on.

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Hi everyone,
    Just a quick update to say I STILL haven’t really been present on this bus trip yet but am hoping I will find some willpower for the last week and a bit🤞Well done to everyone who is making some progress and to those, like me, who are struggling, a lot can be achieved in 13 days, the first time I did the Fast800 (I think it was back in 2019) I found the change in how I felt after the first 2 weeks was incredible (less bloated, sleeping better, less aches, just generally feeling ‘lighter’ )so I am going to keep reminding myself of that feeling in the hope that it spurs me on to do the best I can on this bus trip in readiness for our next one. Dawn X

• posted by Nokie
    on

Hi Dawn and everyone on bus 🚌

I am the same Dawn on this bus trip I was doing do well just before Xmas but gone down hill
    Only myself to blame but as you say 13 days to get back on track before next journey on bus 💕
    I had to let go off my beloved cat this week also heard my husband has to have open heart surgery so it’s been a tough week
    We all seem to have a lot of stress in our lives but let’s hope we can all keep going it’s such a great group even though we have not met
    On a lighter note I am going Wednesday eve to see Michael Moseley and Clare his wife they are touring so my husband got me tickets he will be talking about sleep (which I could do with)!!!also Clare is cooking on stage I think demonstrating an air fryer I haven’t got one but it will be interesting to see
    Have a good weekend everyone be in touch soon and remember be kind to your selves
    Hugs nokie 😘 xx

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Hi Nokie,
    So sorry to hear about your cat, pets really are part of the family and it must have been very difficult.Also hearing your husband needs open heart surgery can’t have been easy.It is hard to concentrate on healthy eating with so much stress.I am sure seeing Michael Moseley and Clare will be inspiring.I have his book on sleep and it’s really interesting.I have an air fryer and it’s brilliant for cooking healthy things in(though I haven’t been doing much of that recently! ) and would be keen to hear about any recipes Clare cooks.Sending you big hugs.Dawn X

• posted by Nokie
    on

Thankyou Dawn
    For your kind wishes I will let you know any recipes she cooks I thought air fryers were not healthy but it will be interesting
    Take care be in touch soon
    Nokie xx💕

on

NOKIE I’m sorry to hear about your husband.s surgery. Any idea when it will be? I know you will be a strong source of support to him at this time, but make sure you look after yourself too. We’re always here for you! And so sorry about your cat too 🥲 One of mine had to be pts over Christmas so I can really identify with you there. I hope you enjoy the show on Wednesday. You must tell us all about it. I’ve not yet jumped on the air fryer bandwagon but would be interested to know Clare’s thoughts, and how it fits into our way of eating.

DAWN I hope that the last 10 days of this journey will be positive for you. It’s so hard to get back in the groove but as you say, when you do, you realise how much better you feel. A bit like a light bulb going on in your head. I hope you can find that switch again!

On which point, I must admit I’m really cross with myself at the moment. Things were going really well until a few days ago. I’m on half term from school and had to fit in lots of “sadmin” stuff, which I somehow then used to justify eating and drinking far too much. Coupled with also doing less exercise, I’ve managed to regain 3lb since Wednesday!! Now, hopefully most of that is water weight, but I do feel disappointed in myself. Never mind . . . we still have another 10 days left. I’m going to have a restful day today, then get back on my (hopefully!) winning combination tomorrow of either 18:6/OMAD, no wine and lots more walking. If I can just get back to the 139s/140s – where I’d been consistently settled for the last couple of weeks before this week’s lapse – by the end of this journey I’ll be satisfied.

Hope everyone else is ok, and let’s make the most of these last 10 days!!

DCT xx

on

MARIET just reading older posts and saw the news about your sister. What a shock! How is she doing? I do hope that she’s recovering, and that you and your mother managed to visit as planned. Also hope that your next blood tests show good results. Busy times, and hope you stay well and on track xx

on

Hello everyone
    I’m still here and still plodding away and making little progress! I started at 161 lb and now I am 157 lb. I have started weighing daily and dividing by 7 to get my average weekly weight loss. This week I lost 1.1 lb and last week I lost 1.1 lb. I got down to 154 lb on Tuesday after a 36 hour fast and this morning i weighed 160 lb! I’m totally fed up of trying hard to lose weight and making slow if any progress .
    Hope you are doing better than I am. I’m going to fast tomorrow and Wednesday and will do a mixture of shorter 19 hour fasts all week. I honestly don’t know why I am not losing more weight than I am. I can’t walk as I have what I think is plantar fasciitis – an extremely painful heel so I can’t weight bear. Am waiting for a podiatry appt . I’ve put in 100% effort since 1st January. I was so excited to see 154 on Tuesday and distraught today to see 160! Trying to lose weight is starting to get on my nerves! This is not what I hoped I would be reporting at the end of my first 8 weeks.
    Onwards and hopefully downwards!!!

on

CATHY good to hear from you but I’m sorry your weight loss plan is not going well. And also the plantar fasciitis which I’ve had before as well and it really does interfere with walking. I got some compression socks from Boots that did help, particularly in. my case by adding more support to the arches of my feet. May be worth looking at something like that if you haven’t already.

As for your weight loss it’s so frustrating for you. I wish I could help! My only thought is whether extended fasting is perhaps not the right thing for you – I’ve read that in some cases it can encourage the body to store fat because it goes into starvation mode. But I’m no expert, and know that many on these forums do extended fasting and benefit from it. All I can do is wish you well and hope that you see some progress soon.

How is everyone else doing? We have 4 days left until our journey ends on Leap Day. I hope you all have a positive week and we can then decide where to go next!

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Hello Cathy and DCT and all, I’m checking in. I wish I had progress to report but sadly I dont! I really don’t know what has happened this time around, but the scales are going the wrong way! I think I’ve put on at least 2 kilos since the beginning of the year 🙁 I really don’t understand why, as I’m not doing or eating anything different to what I’ve been doing for the past few years (where I maintained), with the exception maybe or walking less. I do have a bit of a stressful situation going on at work, but hopefully that will be resolved soon. I just can’t seem to get into the swing of this WOE this time around sadly! I’m going to regroup though and try again on the next bus 🙂
    Tonight I’m at the Taylor Swift concert in Sydney.
    Well not at it, but waiting outside while my daughter attends – we were only able to get 1 ticket! There’s loads of food venues and trucks here but I’ve brought a salad, fruit and nuts from
    home and am drinking water and tea only, so I’m not tempted to eat unhealthy food! It’s a pleasant evening weather wise and I’m enjoying walking around and taking in the atmosphere. Not looking forward to the trip home though when 80,000 fans all exit at the end!
    Hope everyone else is keeping well. Hang in there Cathy – I do admire your determination, but perhaps it’s time to mix things up a bit? I can only imagine how frustrated you feel, it’s bad enough for me but to be honest I haven’t really been trying very hard to stay on track!

on

I’ll report my progress on Thursday! I’m not giving up! My weight is heading
    S-L-O-W-L-Y in the right direction. I will definitely be boarding the next bus. I have been feeling very disappointed at my lack of progress because I’ve been totally committed. I think my body is messed up! I am going to focus on cutting calories/carbs. I’m eating more healthy, whole food for nourishment. I hope when my feet get better (awaiting further toe steroid injections) and my plantar fasciitis settles down i can do daily walks. It’s only February so we have plenty of time to make progress in 2024. I am determined to reach my goal weight this year. It’s been a slow, disappointing start but hopefully I’ll be a few pounds down on Thursday.
    Well done to everyone who has had success on leg 1 of the 2024 journey. To those like me who are not happy with their progress we must keep going. Life is full of ups and downs.
    Looking forward to catching up with how everyone has done.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hola,guys! Well it looks like we will soon be pulling in at the terminus,and our bus will be ready to rest,then eager to set off on its next journey!
    I havent been weighed recently,but I know by what ive been eating and how I feel that I may have, just by the skin of my teeth, managed to get back to just before xmas weight.
    Anyhoo,i just saw this,which has really inspired me a lot,and made me think about what i want to see,end of Nov 2024…excuse the caps,but i think its so important!
    ***. “IN SIX MONTHS TIME YOU WILL HAVE SIX MONTHS OF EXCUSES OR SIX MONTHS OF PROGRESS.
    THE CHOICE IS YOURS “ ***
    Never has truer words been said! It really hit home,so Im going to keep it right at the front of my mind from now on XX
    PS CCATHY..ouch plantar fascitis..ouch,its so painful! Similar to,DCT,I found buying some special rubbery insoles from Boots really helped me with walking,and helped the attack pass quickly x
    SUEBLUE hope DD enjoyed the concert! TS is appearing in UK,but only in London and my home town Liverpool. Tickets are like gold dust I hear!
    NOKIE any news on hubbys surgery? so sorry about yr cat,its heartbreaking to let them go,but the biggest kindness we can give them if its their time x
    Several people have been having such a rough time lately and I send my love to all of you,and hope the year gets better for us all,in every way !💜
    PPS …good luck to any ladies go8ng to propose tomorrow! 🤞🏻💕

on

Hello all

Well here we are – Leap Day! Our journey is at an end.

As YOWZER said, it’s been a really difficult time for many of us and I’m so glad that we are all still here and that this forum is so supportive and caring.

Thanks for all the recent posts. Big cheers for those who have lost and big hugs for those who are not seeing the results they would want to. The big question now is do we want another thread? I definitely want to keep on. I’m delighted that my end of journey weight this morning is 139.4lb – my lowest weight since 2021. I’ve lost almost half a stone this journey, and if I can keep that going (and yes, with me, it’s a BIG if!!) I might even make my long term goal of 133lb in another 8 weeks. Who knows?! But I’m up for another journey.

Let me know if anyone wants to join me? No idea of a name or anything but as long as a few of us are willing to keep going then let’s do this!!

Love to you all, and hope to continue travelling with you into March and April X

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Brilliant news DCT! Very very well done! 🥳 and,you CAN make that long term goal,Im sure of it 👍👍👍 !!
    I deffo want anther thread please! XXX
    (ps and just noticed in my post re in 6 months time,it should read end August,not end Nov..silly me!)
    Happy Leap Year day to everyone xx

on

Happy Leap Day Everyone
    Congratulations on your great news DCT being your lowest weight since 2021 and getting under 140’ . That’s so inspiring. Well done to you. You’ve had a particularly difficult journey this time.
    Yowser I loved your quote about six months. I want my six months to be progress! I’ve just completed another 36 hour fast and this morning I weigh 154.2. I started at 161.4 so I’ve lost 7.2 lbs. My actual weigh day is a Sunday when I work out the average loss per week because my weight goes up and down during the week. I am happy with my loss and my graph is heading in the right direction. My plan for the next leg is to get to 149. So if I can lose another 7lb then I will be in the 140s- I’ve not been there for a long time. I’ll look back at my stats and post them in the next thread. I am sure there will be a full bus heading off towards our next destination. I’m looking forward to seeing how everyone is and I’ll be at the bus stop bright and early tomorrow morning. I was thinking we could call it Marching On or something along those lines.
    Lots of love to everyone. It has been a challenging journey. Let’s dust ourselves down and prepare for our next adventure.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Well done DCT and Cathy on your losses.
    Thanks Yowzer too for your wise words – they always help me stay on track, or remind me why I should stay on track!
    I was actually too scared to weigh myself today! I just KNOW I’ve put on weight this journey. Every time I stand on the scales lately I hear the words “You’re going the wrong way!” I don’t know how many of you are familiar with the movie Planes, Trains and Automobiles but there’s a scene where John Candy and Steve Martin are driving down a free way in the wrong direction and other drivers are winding down their windows and yelling “You’re going the wrong way!!!’” – well it’s those voices I’m hearing when I stand on the scales lately!
    Anyway tomorrow it’s a new month and a new re-start for me. At last summer is over, I really detest summer here, it’s so hot and humid. I feel so much better in the cooler months.
    So after this long post – my point is I’ll definitely be on the next bus! 🚎

on

CATHY very well done for your recent loss! I know you say your weight fluctuates but that’s a fabulous leap in the right direction. So pleased for you!

Talking of directions SUE BLUE your post really made me smile. Planes Trains and Automobiles is one of my very favourite films and I’ve seen it more times than I dare to count. But this next journey I’m sure you’ll be back on track again.

So that’s it for Leap into 2024. I’ll set the new thread up tomorrow morning UK time. Cathy I love your name idea about Marching. So am thinking something like Marching Forward in 2024, or Marching On through 2024. More ideas very welcome and I’ll do that tomorrow.

Very tired now so off to bed but see you all in March! X

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

DCT…I like Marching on,but will be happy to join in,whatever we call it xxx 🥳

on

Hi everyone just to let you know the new thread – Marching on through 2024 – is now up and running.

See you all there! x

• posted by Mariet
    on

Hi everyone, checking in at the end of this challenge. I’ve done better than I expected with a 6.5kg (1 stone) loss. Little progress the past couple of weeks but that seems to be my pattern, nothing for a while then a drop then static. Still a way to go and to be honest I am losing enthusiasm. I am just so tired of my weight being the focus of my thoughts.
    I will be part of the next challenge. I’ve got to have blood done in March and I am really hopeful that this loss will have had a good impact on my non alcoholic fatty liver disease.

Wishing you all the best as we move on into March and beyond!

on

Great weight loss Mariet! Well done! Your comment about being fed up of weight being the focus of your thoughts really resonates with me! I’ve felt quite down at times during February when nothing much seems to have happened weight wise despite my efforts. Its felt all consuming trying to lose weight. I hope if and when I get to goal this will be my lesson- I cant keep dieting all my life! I need to get to goal and maintain once and for all. See you on the marching on thread.

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Hi everyone and well done Cathy, Mariet, Yowzer and DCT for your weight losses, sorry if I’ve missed anyone.Sue Blue I too chuckled at your Planes Trains image, it’s one of my husband’s favourite movies.I can’t remember what I weighed at the start of this trip! so I’ve just taken the heaviest I’ve weighed on this trip and counted from there and have lost 5lbs.That’s been in the last two weeks as I have lost and regained throughout the past 8 weeks.I’m definitely on board for the next trip, thanks for setting that up DCT, I’m heading over there now. Dawn X

Please log in or register to post a reply.