Leap into 2024

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Dreamscometrue
    on

So here we are, another year over, a new one just begun. Let’s hope it’s a good one! And to get things started why not join this weight loss thread, which will run until Leap Day – Thursday 29th February. This means that there is time to start an 8-week Fast 800 journey in the next few days and complete it by Leap Day.

This thread is a continuation of the Healthy New Me and Christmas Countdown threads that a few of us have been on throughout 2023. For reasons that I now can’t remember, we treat this group as a bus trip, full of a motley crew – each with individual health and weight loss goals as our destination. We do our best to help each other along the way, celebrating every success – however small – and being empathetic and encouraging when things don’t go to plan.

So if you want to lose weight and improve your health in 2024, and would like some company along the way please do join us. We are a fun, honest and non-judgemental bunch and would love to have you on board!

• posted by Nokie
    on

Happy new year everyone 🎉
    Thanks Dct for setting up our new bus journey I didn’t quite get to my goal as I ate too many carbs over Christmas 🎄 🙈but I am on my seat 💺 strapped in and ready to go
    Good luck everyone
    Lv nokie 💖

• posted by Mariet
    on

Thanks DCT, I’m hoping this bus trip is the one where I can really nail this. I start 2024 5kg (11lb) down on this time last year so that is good. My aim is to lose another 10kg and to keep it off, more importantly. I’m going to weigh on Tuesdays and Fridays, the days I work from home, and do my best to check in regularly.
    Hi there to all the others on the bus. Hopefully we’ll all have good results.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi folks! DCT I love the name of our latest challenge…sounds energetic and positive!
    Im starting tomorrow,looking forward to seeing all the old gang and maybe some new recruits aboard the Magic Bus!
    Lets all go wild and get some fantastic results!🙏🤞🏻xxxx

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Hi everyone and thanks DCT for setting up this new thread.Apologies, I haven’t got round to looking at our old thread for a while so well done to everyone who managed to lose anything at all on that trip.I’m afraid I completely lost the plot and rolled off the bus into a vat of chocolate which I have only just managed to scramble out of.I forced myself to get on the scales this morning and it wasn’t good viewing🙁 I am feeling pretty grotty most of the time,achey/ lethargic/bloated and not having brilliant sleeps and know that it is entirely due to what I am eating.My middle has never been bigger and I know I need to get back to healthy eating soon(and permanently) The first time I did the Fast800 plan I couldn’t ever imagine myself going back to my old way of eating but it happened and I need to put that behind me now and look forward.I am strapped securely into my seat and wishing everyone a happy, healthy new year. Dawn X
    Ps. Yowzer can you please start planting a new batch of lettuces so that there are always some at hand to keep me in check🥬

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Happy New Year. I boarded the bus this morning with a lot of determination. I am not getting weighed until 1st Feb. I lost 8lb in December but fear I’ve probably put them all back on in the last week!
    I would love to weigh less than 150lb on 1st Feb. I haven’t been under 150 lb for a long time. So that is my first goal of 2024.
    Looking forward to sharing this journey.

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Happy new year, everyone. Thanks for setting up the new thread, DCT. I’m going to be extremely busy for the next 8 weeks, but will do my best to keep up with everyone.
    I received word before Christmas that I won a grant for business planning for new farmers. I’m working with a business coach on top of everything else. We started on Friday and it’s going to be intense as we have to complete the plan before March 2nd. I’m going to have to start some of my seeds this month too. Running around trying to get the farm tidied, which I would never be able to do in January in a normal year as it would be too cold and snowy. But we’re having such a warm year and all the snow we had in Dec is gone. It may be quite an early start to the growing season this year.
    But anyway, I also need to look after myself and make sure I’m in good shape for the growing season. I’m going to continue to try to get my insulin levels down and get rid of as much fat tissue as I can so it won’t be driving inflammation and swelling in the warmer months. I’m having 2 meals today, but I did OMAD yesterday. So getting back into the fasting slowly.
    I think my main goal in 2024 is that I want to dispense with the excuses for not looking after myself. I need to make the time and not say that I’m too busy, tired, don’t have the brain space to cook, etc. I think if I can master that, the rest should fall in place. At least I hope so. Here’s too a good year for everyone!

on

Morning all. Lovely to read all the posts so far, and sense the positivity and determination buzzing around!

I’m starting officially today. Weight 146lb, a slight regain over Christmas, but I’m aiming high (or should that be low!) for this 8 week journey and would love to be at my long-term target of 133lb by Leap Day. Which means 1-2lb loss per week. My back up scenario is that at the very least I want to get comfortably below 140lb which looks eminently do-able from this point as long as I don’t kibosh it (yet again!).

I’m working increased and varied hours during this journey so will have to adapt my eating habits accordingly. It will normally be two meals a day within an 8 hour window, but will sometimes be three meals in a longer window, and occasionally just one meal. Shake things up a bit! I’m also doing Dry January as wine is one of my regular downfalls. The other thing I want to do is up my exercise, even though I will have to be creative about fitting that in around my extra working hours. But I’ll find a way! So here’s hoping it all soon starts making a difference 🤞

Good luck to everyone else. And if you’re reading this and want some fun and support on your own weight loss journey please do post and get on board!

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Happy New Year all!
    I’m jumping on board now to reserve my seat on the bus but won’t be ‘officially’ starting until 8 Jan, the same week I go back to work.
    I have a few things on this week, and have to go into hospital for a day to start a new treatment for Rheumatoid Arthritis, but after that it will be go, go, go!
    My weight basically stayed the same for the whole of 2023, which would be fine if I was at goal, but I’m not!
    So my goal for 2024 is to lose 10kg, or 22lb. This would get me down to 80kg (around 175lb) which is a weight I’m comfortable at, and should mean I’d be a size 12/14 rather than a 16.
    My plan is to use this week to clear out my cupboards and fridge of junk and to plan some healthy meals. My youngest daughter bought a treadmill just before Christmas so I plan to use that to help get my steps up.
    I wasn’t going to weigh myself but just did – it’s actually 11.5kg I need to lose as I’ve put on 1.5kg I during the last 3 weeks of festivities! So first goal is to get back into the 80’s which I plan to do by the end of the month.
    Have a good week all!

on

Hello
    Day 3 and I am feeling positive. I am sticking to my schedule. I am determined to get to where I want to be this year.
    DCT- I remember when I got to 133lb and I was so happy. I am sure that you will achieve this in 2024. You have maintained your weight incredibly well over the years and with less than 1 stone to go I have no doubt we will be celebrating your success. You have your daughter’s wedding this year which is very exciting too- when does she get married? I remember feeling fantastic when my son got married because I had lost weight and looked fab in my outfit!
    Sue blue- with your determination and resolve I know that you will achieve your 2024 goal. Good luck for your new RA treatment. I suffered with Stills Disease as a child which is a juvenile rheumatoid arthritis and I know how incredibly painful this condition can be. I think losing weight will have a huge impact on your joints and together with the treatment you will hopefully feel like a new woman this year. Your seat is reserved for you when you board the bus next week.
    Arcticfox- congratulations on winning a grant and good luck with your fasting and continued resolve. Fasting is the only thing that seems to work for me so I will be fasting with you. I am doing ADF Monday Wednesday and Friday.
    Dawn and Nokie- good to see you strapped in and raring to go. We can do this.
    Mariet- I think when health issues arise it gives us more incentive to dig deep and I know you will achieve your goal this year and get your liver working well again very soon. We know that this way of eating will repair your NAFLD.
    Yowser- good to see you on board but I have a sneaky feeling you won’t be needing too many wet lettuces for the foreseeable as we are all raring to go. Keep a few seeds at the ready to plant 🌱 for when the journey gets tough!

• posted by Mariet
    on

It’s great to read so many positive things from fellow passengers 😁

I weighed on Tuesday, first time since Christmas, and was happy to see no damage done (or if there was damage it’s disappeared already). Friday is my next weigh and I’m quietly hopeful. I am sticking to two meals a day, lunch at about 1 and dinner at about 7 but I am finding by 6.30 when I go to prepare my meal my hunger has disappeared and it’s really hard to make myself eat. I’m concerned that this isn’t going to be sustainable, sooner or later my appetite will return and then I’ll be in trouble! I’m not finding it hard to remain low carb at all… at the moment.

Best wishes to all of you and hoping for good results for everyone.

• posted by Mariet
    on

Checking in again to be accountable.
    One week in and I am 1.1kg down which I am happy with. Family picnic tomorrow so I will eat what I can eat and try to deflect attention, luckily no one is very interested in what others are eating.

Good luck everyone and looking forward to seeing others progress.

Marie

on

Hi to everyone who is already on board – Cathy, Sue, Mariet, Nokie, Dawn, Yowzer, Arcticfox and anyone else I’ve missed. Lovely to have your company again and there’s still room for plenty more!

First week of January gone already! How are you all doing?

MARIET well done for your first week’s loss. You’re off to a great start and I’m sure it will continue. Enjoy the picnic tomorrow (or later today as it probably is for you now!)

CATHY thanks for the encouragement. Earlier in my BSD journey I went through a fairly protracted phase of maintaining at 137/138 and that worked for me. I did dip a bit lower but that didn’t last long. So even if I can get back to 137/138 that would be great. I’m currently in the 144’s and hoping to make it into the 142’s by the end of next week. My cunning plan is to lose 2lb a week throughout January then 1lb a week during February. Now we all know that’s often not quite the way it works but I like to have something to aim for! On which point, sadly my daughter’s wedding has run into a few hitches and is now unlikely to take place in March as planned. Which means I won’t be MOTB in the timescale I’d originally thought, but I’m jolly well going to shed those pounds anyway. I really want 2024 to be a year when I take better care of myself and get my weight, health and fitness the best that they can be.

I hope everyone is doing well, and that you all have a wonderful weekend X

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Great result for your first week Mariet! That is certainly very motivating.
    I had a pair of jeans that I hadn’t worn in a while fitting very loosely at the beginning of the week, and I hadn’t worn my nice leather tall boots in a while either and they are fitting very loosely around the calf now. I tried on my goal trousers and they were still a bit tight through the hips and legs, but definitely fitting better around the waist. Unfortunately something has happened since and I’ve puffed up again. But it was still progress. I have had a couple of days of OMAD, but need to get back onto longer fasts. I think it will go easier next week when I’m back at work. I’ve had the week off to work on my painting, get the house cleaned up and do my work with the business coach who actually came to visit the farm this week instead of just a zoom meeting. So I’ve been knocked a bit out of my normal routine. I think if I can get back onto the longer fasting again then those trousers should fit no problem at the end of the 8 weeks. So that is very motivating.
    I have to go and run some errands now, but when I get back I’ll see about doing some meal planning for the week ahead. I really should keep records so I know what foods are making me puff up and which are not. Oh well, we can’t do everything, can we?

on

Hello everyone
    Well done Mariet on your first week’s loss. Very encouraging to see the first few pounds ebbing away.
    I did three long fasts last week and this week I am doing 19:5. Fasting for 19 hours and opening my eating window for 5 hours . I am tricking my body so it doesn’t know whether it’s coming or going and that will hopefully help shift some pounds . I don’t know if I’ve lost anything and I am avoiding the scales til 1st Feb. I don’t want them to define my mood so I am believing in the process and just mixing things up for January. There are jeans and dresses I am hoping to fit into later this year. I like not feeling like I am dieting every day when I fast and so I hope that getting into the fasting mindset rather than feeling like I am always restricting myself might be better for me mentally.
    Still waiting for my mri scan report. I’ve got an interview tomorrow for a radiology assistant role in a private medical imaging clinic so that feels like a positive.
    So week 2 for me this week and feeling positive and determined. The first week was a challenge after all the Christmas eating but now that’s done I am just going to chip away slowly week by week. How did your first week go?
    Welcome aboard anyone joining us this week- onwards and downwards we go shedding pounds along the way. .

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Well done Mariet on your loss, and Cathy for your successful fasts 🙂
    It’s week 1, day 3 for me and so far so good. I spent Sunday doing some meal prep, I wanted to use up food in my fridge so I made some overnight oats with berries and chia seeds, and some mini frittatas which ended up having cottage cheese, Parmesan and mozzarella cheese leftovers, tomato, onion, ham, mushroom and spinach, and of course eggs! They were quite tasty and I’ve had them for lunch Mon and Tues and may have again today.
    While out grocery shopping I found a small bento style lunch box and my plan is to pack my lunch each morning (or night before), even when I’m going to be home, and then only eat the packed lunch (and not be going through the cupboard and fridge looking for snacks!)
    I’ll most likely weigh myself on Friday.
    Today I’m not at work and spending the morning gardening, so keeping active.
    Hope everyone’s having a good week so far 🙂

• posted by 1960smp
    on

Good evening fellow bus riders! I have been here, in the background…unintentional but non the less am adding my 10p worth now.
    Good to see so many on the bus. 8 weeks will pass quickly as time seems to at the present.
    I had started last week and tbh am going to restart again this week coming. Several reasons but am here now.
    Good to read early successes already, keep up the good work as it encourages those like me…

• posted by Nokie
    on

Hello 1960 and all in 🚌

I haven’t had a good week and I need something to give me a push back on my 💺 I have fallen off after a fairly good 1st week not sure what has happened 🤣
    Has anyone else fallen off their seat and if anyone has some good tips I would appreciate it
    Hope everyone is ok and not like me !!!
    Be in touch soon
    Nokie x🙈

on

Hi everyone, just catching up.
    I’ve had a hell of a week in terms of life happenings, but am pleased to be down into the low 143s. Not quite on target but not far off, so I’ll take that!
    CATHY how did your interview go?
    1960SMP welcome on board! Just do what you can when you can. Every little helps as they say, and hopefully you will see some results soon.
    NOKIE I’m on a bit of a roll at the moment but have had many times when this has not been the case. I’d suggest you try and identify your main obstacles and choose just one of them to give up – perhaps initially just for a week. For me it was wine. I set out to do Dry January and – surprisingly- have stuck to it , apart from the odd glass of Prosecco at weekends. And I’ve lost 3lb so far this journey. So why not think of what kiboshes you the most and determine to cut that out completely for a week and also follow the main BSD / Fast 800 principles. See how that goes and move on from there. And if you can’t manage that for a full week, just do it on certain days? Good luck, and let us know how you’re getting on!
    Love to you all xx

• posted by Mariet
    on

Hi everyone, checking in for the week. A pound or so down, 4lb since the beginning of the month. But I had a tummy wog so that probably helped things along! It’s high summer in Sydney and the humidity has been quite dreadful which prevents me going out for walks and so on. Today is going to be hot with humidity in the 90%range, may as well be in Colombia! But luckily I lose my appetite in this weather.
    Happy to see the check ins from others but sorry that some are struggling. Hang in there! Good advice from DCT, if anything is going to derail my progress it is a glass of wine 🙁
    How did your interview go CC? Sounds like an interesting job.
    How is your garden going SueBlue? Mine is an overgrown hot mess at the moment but I can’t muster the energy to attack it like it needs.
    Best of luck to everyone on the bus 🙂

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Mariet well done on your loss so far. I’m not enjoying this hot, humid weather at all!
    My garden is going ok, we mainly have native shrubs in the backyard and a hedge at the front that needed trimming as well as the lawns mowed. My husband does the heavy work and I just rake, prune etc, but I enjoy being outside. The only thing is that in this weather the grass grows so quickly, so it will need mowing again very soon!
    Nokie I hear you 🙂 I only restarted this week but have had a bumpy start for a number of reasons.
    I’m drawing a line under this though and restarting my restart today. My husband and I have decided to have a dry rest of January, so I think not having any wine will help my weight loss efforts.
    Hope everyone has a good weekend 🙂

• posted by Nokie
    on

Hi everyone 🙈
    Thanks for all your messages! I will take what you said on board it really helps reading the posts I am starting again today and determined to stay on track as the song goes WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM MY FRIENDS!!
    Glad to hear some of you are doing well
    Have a good weekend everyone will pop in again next week
    Lv nokie x💕

on

Hello everyone
    Well done if you have had good weight loss results this week. To those who are struggling draw a line and start again. I bet Yowser will have a great saying about this from her wonderful collection of wise words.
    I have had a good week. I’ve done 19 hour fasts every day and stuck to clean fasts. I really dislike black coffee but I’m following the rules!
    I’m not weighing myself and honestly can’t see any difference or feel any difference but I am trusting the process and keeping going.
    I had a phone call with the hospital this week about obtaining my recent spine scan result. The secretary told me I had to wait to see the Neurosurgeons for the result!!! I told her I was not prepared to wait 90 weeks to find out the result of my scan! That is the waiting time to see the Neurosurgeon!! I insisted she forward the report to my GP and I have a telephone consultation with him on Tuesday. I got the job at the medical imaging clinic along with one of my colleagues from the vaccination centre. We will be radiology assistants! Don’t really know what we will be doing to be honest! I really don’t want a job but I like to earn so as daunting as staring a new job is at 63 I am going to dust myself down and face my fear .
    My plan going forward is to have tomorrow off from fasting and then I will do a 36 hour fast on Monday,eat normally on Tuesday and then continue with 19 hour fasts until the weekend. I really can’t wait to jump on the scale to see if I am having any loss but but I am having a non scale victory by keeping off the scales and continuing to follow my plan. It’s quite liberating! I like mixing things up week by week and once I weigh myself at the end of January I can tweak my plan week by week.
    Have a good weekend everyone. Even if you’ve not got off to a great start it doesn’t matter. The first week or two is always the most difficult. Get back in your seat, strap in for another go and try again. Getting off the bus is not an option!!

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi everyone,
    I’ve been absent as I’ve been over the top busy, and also I’ve been having a lot of trouble getting back on the fasting bandwagon due to a sudden onset of very, very severe reflux and heartburn. I don’t know why it’s suddenly started. Medical advice is to eat low fat foods in small amounts frequently, which is the exact opposite of what I’ve been doing. So frustrating as I’ve gained back a lot of what I lost before Christmas already and I’m hungry all the time. I’m hoping I can get it calmed down so I can get back into what I was doing.
    Hope everyone else has been doing well. I’ll check back and read all the posts when I get a minute.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Ohhh wow! I just realised,i never ticked notify me..all this time ive been thinking there havent been any posts!
    Its a late bedtime for me and its been snowing outside for two hours now…looks so lovely as it falls,but i pray it will vanish tomorrow! If it goes icy,I’ll be stuck indoors.
    Off to bed now – Will be back to read everyone ‘s news xx
    Ps I just saw this on instagram and i love it..
    “ We are all leaves of one tree,
    We are all waves of one sea” ..I love that – everything and everyone is connected!💕
    No idea though how you pronounce the author’s name! …Thich Nhat Hanh.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hello again busmates! 💕
    Hi DAWN,i identify so much with what you said at New Year. Im slowly getting back to ‘ normal’..i really didnt want to stop the festive eating and drinking! But we are now well into January and we can do this!
    Dont worry,the wet lettuces will be stored on the bus,just in case,but i bet we wont be needing them this time! X
    CCATHY,🤞🏻for first of Feb! Your fasting is surely going to show results on the scales,and there’ll be all good kinds of good things going on internally as well. Fantastic job news 👍👍👍 congrats! and good on you re the scan results..incredible that they wd expect you to wait so long. Hope it was good news on the phine consultation X
    ARCTICFox you are brilliant winning that award! Cheers and applause are ringing around the bus! I think between that and also yr decision to look after yrself better that 2024 looks like being your year!
    I feel for you re heartburn/ indigestion/ reflux. I get all of them too. Gaviscon helps me. Worth a try if you havent tried it?X
    DCT congrats on Dry Jan and 3 lb down in just 12 days! Sounds like youre very busy at the mo! Thanks again for setting up our Leaping challenge!X
    SUEBLUE you did so well staying the same weight in 2023. Im sure the upping and downing i do so much within a year does no good at all to overall health. Plus the upping and downing wasnthe only real exercise i got inm2023! 😄
    Sounds like youre whipping up some good tasty meal ideas. How are you finding the treadmill? Its so funny to hear you talk of hot weather,its freezing here and weve had snow,ice,frost…brrrrr! X
    MARIET how are the littlies? The “no,damage done by Xmas” is fantastic! I wonder why you lost your appetite in the evening..i thought you were gonna say,by 6:30 Im ravenous! Has it returned? A mixed blessing if it has,I know. X
    Hi 1960! Hope this week is going well for you. I dont think it matters when we start / restart/ fall off …as long as we get up again. As long as we keep trying each new day. I used to be awful for an “all or nothing approach”..if i wasnt doing it perfectly,I wd be upset and think i had failed,and its taken me so many years to realise there are bound to be ups and downs. Life just isnt perfect. Every day is a new chance to start again X
    NOKIE hi,its hard isnt it. After all the fun,food and festivities,January can be so gloomy. Just be gentle with yourself,do what you can. This is the hardest time of year. Just maintain or be happy to lose very little for now. Easier days are ahead once we get this month out of the way.Take on board what DCT said as well! Good advice!X
    Love to all bus travellers,this is going to be our BEST year! Beep beeeeeep! X
    💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕

on

Hi everyone

YOWZER thanks for your lovely post and can I add my complete agreement with what you say and good wishes to everyone mentioned. I hope that things are going well for you and yes let’s hope no wet lettuces needed. CATHY have you started your new job yet? Congratulations!

I have been meaning to post for days now but am up to my eyes with things at the moment. My mother is in hospital with a nasty infection so they’re doing all kinds of tests and I don’t know what will happen. By Sod’s law this coincides with my extra working hours at school this term. So between working and visiting the hospital I have very little time at home to catch up with the rest of life. Anyway, not much I can do but to keep on keeping on. So I’m reading all your posts vial email, but forgive any tardiness on responding.

The good news is that I’m still making progress on the journey. Not quite as quick as I’d hoped but I’ve now lost 4lb so far. I’m 142lb at the moment. I’ve slightly revised my targets so that they are more achievable – based on current progress – and hope to be safely below 140lb by the end of the journey 🤞

Wishing you all well, and will catch up soon xx

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Just a quick check in from me.

DCT – sorry to hear your mum is in hospital, sending best wishes for her speedy recovery, and well done to you for still being able to lose while you have so much going on.

CATHY – congratulations on your new job! And well done at 63 go be taking on a new challenge despite your ongoing health issues 🙂

YOWZER – thanks as always for your inspirational quotes and your lovely posts – your words always brighten my day.

And to everyone else I hope you are travelling well 🙂

I’m going ok, have had a few health issues lately, and (planned) hospital treatments which make sticking to plan more difficult. But no excuses this week! I spent part of yesterday, before it got too hot, doing some meal prep. It was 39 degrees yesterday but thankfully only a top of 26 today and tomorrow before we get temps up to 41 degrees later in the week 🙁 Yowzer I wish I could send you some of our sunshine to warm things up a bit there for you – we have more than. Enough to go around here! ☀️ ☀️ ☀️

I had some pumpkin in the fridge so roasted some of that in chunks to make soup (not that it’s really soup weather but with the air con on full blast I can pretend that it is!), and some diced cubes to add to salads. I had lots of veg in the fridge that I’d bought to eat last week and didn’t, so roasted the mushrooms, zucchini, capsicum, onion, tomato and garlic. This mix is so versatile – I use it in frittatas, bolognaise and lasagne etc – better than throwing it out. Today I’m going to make some berry compote and overnight oats with the berries I haven’t used, and some cauli rice and veg curry.

I haven t used the treadmill much so far, my knees and feet have been sore, but hoping to get back into some more regular exercise this week.

As for weighing, I’m taking a leaf out of Cathy’s book and waiting till 1 February to do this.

Have a good week all!

on

Hello – third week in January! Third week on course! Don’t know what if any progress I am making but I am going to weigh myself next Monday and take things from there. I’ve been fasting and eating within a five hour window. Next week when I know where I am weight wise I will tweak and take things from there for another calendar month. I am intrigued to see if my fasting has had any impact on my weight.
    My back scan did not demonstrate any nerve issues to account for the electric shocks in my ankle so it’s all still a mystery! Good news but also still no answers. I am taking this news as positive. I was dreading them finding more Schwannomas. I wonder if there is one in my leg which still hasn’t been found.
    I will be starting my new job in February and I’m apprehensive. I quite like simplicity in my life these days and starting a new job is not simple- even the onboarding process is complex!
    I’m going to keep fasting this week and will post my weight next Monday after four weeks being good .
    Have a great week everyone .

• posted by Mariet
    on

Hi everyone,
    Slow progress here but I can post a 200g loss. To be honest I’m not thrilled about it because I have staying on plan, not even tempted to do otherwise and I was hoping for better. Can’t blame it on alcohol either but it’s been swelteringly hot and humid here and sometimes I retain fluid in those conditions, I am hoping that’s it and there will be a whoosh when the heatwave is gone. My only victory is a 1 inch reduction in my midriff circumference- maybe a cm or so around my waist as well but maybe that’s just faulty measuring. An inch seems like I can trust that it’s really changed. Any it’s borne out by the fact that I can wear my new swimming costume that was sadly too tight in November 🙂
    Sorry to hear about your mother, DCT, I hope there’s been a lot of improvement by now.
    SueBlue, you sound so organised, I am envious. I’m on 5 weeks long service leave, I am going to try some of those strategies as well.
    Cathy good luck with your new job! It’s always a bit nerve-wracking, I hope it goes well.
    Yowser, the littlies are all good! The youngest is 8 months old and never stops smiling, she’s a joy to be around. They are all developing little personalities, it’s truly lovely to see my children’s children growing and changing in a way I was too busy to do with my own.
    Wishing strength and a good mindset to everyone.

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Hi everyone, apologies for not posting for a while, it’s really taking me ages to get into the right mindset for more than one day so I have a day eating healthily then ruin it all, so frustrated with myself!!!!!I haven’t done a food plan for a while so intend doing one tomorrow morning and sticking to it for as many days as I can.Wishing everyone a good week ahead and I will try to check in more often this week.Dawn X

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi everyone,just about to go to bed,eyes closing,but ive been looking through old stuff as ive been searching for motivation,and I came across this,from 2018. Its long but a lot of good stuff to skim through or read in detail xx
    The Simple Keto System
    1. Focus on the biggest win first

There’s so much to think about in Keto – fats, protein, carbs, ketone-levels, exercise, sleep, micronutrients, etc.

And while those are all important, sometimes less is more!

So, if you’re just getting into Keto or if you’ve been doing Keto for a while, then just focus on keeping your carbs low (under 25g net carbs per day).

This one change produces more results for people than anything else. Because it forces you to give up the junk food, the desserts, the soda, etc.

2. Create a system

Pick a calm week when you can dedicate time to Keto and spend that week figuring out a system for yourself.

Keep your carbs under 25 g net carbs per day.

Pick out a simple breakfast you can have over and over – I like a green smoothie or fasting, others like a bulletproof coffee.

Try out simple recipes and see what you enjoy and can cook easily.

Go to bed early and try to sleep more – this helps you stick to Keto better.

Keep sticking to your system until it becomes your routine.

3. Relax

It’s ok if you’re not perfect. It’s ok if you get confused. It’s ok to be ok with it all.

Relax and smile. You’re on the right track.

Turning your health around doesn’t happen overnight when you’ve spent a lifetime of eating badly and not sleeping enough and not exercising.

But each step you take in the right direction counts. So enjoy the journey.

Let me end with another Einstein quote:

“A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.”
    Keto Going with Keto
    If you’ve already started Keto, then Keto on! If you’re just starting, then remember to keep it really simple because life will inevitably complicate things.

And if it gets too complicated at some point, then just go back to this easy 3-step list and simplify.
    Best wishes,

Louise Hendon

Why are you trying Keto?

Your immediate answer is probably to lose weight.

Or to heal digestive issues.

Or to control your blood sugar.

Or to improve mental performance.

But I’d like to challenge you today to dig a bit deeper…

Why do you want to lose weight, heal those digestive issues, etc.?
    Why do you need a WHY?
    Of course, you don’t need to have a reason to do Keto, but I’ve found it can really help you stick to it if you know your true why.

For example, my why used to be to lose weight. That’s how I got into the low carb/keto movement many years ago.

But as time went on, that why has evolved into what I would call “Joy.”

Staying Keto makes me feel so much better – I feel more alive and happier, with fewer mood swings. I feel energetic, my mind is clear, and I am able to enjoy life.

It brings me joy and increases my quality of life.

That feeling is what keeps me going and keeps me wanting to stay Keto.
    Explore the feeling behind your why…
    How many times have you started a diet or fitness program because you wanted to lose weight? Or just be healthier?

And how many times has that failed for you?

Our brains aren’t perfectly logical. If we were that logical, we’d all be robots.

We know we should eat healthier, exercise more, sleep more, and watch less TV, but we just can’t make ourselves do it.

That’s why understanding the deeper motivation behind our actions and feeling the emotion behind it is key.

Please take just 10 minutes out of your day and think about the underlying feeling behind why you want to lose weight or improve your health.

How will you feel when you can fit into your skinny jeans again? How will you feel when you can run around with your kids again?

That’s the feeling you want to hold on to.

And that’s the feeling that will keep you Keto-ing on even on those days when life gets tough.

That’s your true WHY. Find it and live it.
    “When you know your WHY, you’ll know your WAY.” ~ Michael Hyatt
    Starting or Restarting Keto?
    If you’ve fallen off the Keto wagon, then just jump back on.

If you haven’t started yet, then get started.

There’s no guilt, no pressure…just a desire to live and THRIVE.

🐝 ¨*• ¸🌼¸¸ 💞🐝*•.¸🌼¨*•💞¸🌼¸¸

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi everyone,
    I have a bit of good news to report. I went to see my gp again about the acid reflux last week as the antacid tablets were not working. I’m now on an H2 proton pump inhibitor medication that has at least calmed the pain down. I am still refluxing, but at least it doesn’t hurt now when it happens and I can eat more normally again and will hopefully be able to get back on TRE and IF. My gp was quite flummoxed as to why it would have had such a sudden onset though. I asked him if moving heavy furniture could cause it (as I had been due to painting the living room) and he said no, but I’ve since looked it up and see that lifting heavy things can cause a hiatal hernia. I put that in the search box here and found that Birdy76 who used to post here had a hiatal hernia and I remember she was very good at fasting. It looks like she found apple cider vinegar to be helpful, so I picked up a large bottle and we’ll see.
    Hope everyone is doing well. Even small progress is good! Thanks for the inspiration, Yowzer. I still have my ‘why’ of wanting to be more mobile for the farming season. I’m a month behind on my goals now, but just glad to be able to get back at it now.
    Cathy – has anyone checked your B12 levels? It’s just a thought and might be way out of line given the severity of the electric shocks you are experiencing. I have been very low in B12 at times and it has given me a bit of neuropathy, but not as bad as what you describe.
    I’m still very busy and will be for the next month at least, so not sure how often I’ll be able to check in, but I’ll try. KOKO, everyone!

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Happy Monday all,
    Thanks for your encouraging words Yowzer, always appreciated 🙂
    Mariet – I really am NOT an organised person at all! I do have days though where I look in the fridge, see all the healthy food I’ve bought and intended to eat, and haven’t, and as I can’t bear to waste food I’ll organise some meals with it, or at the very least freeze to use later where I can. I wish I was more organised tbh, I tend to procrastinate!
    Dawn – I hear you! I find I’m able to stay on plan for a day or two then go totally off track! I’m just focusing on one day at a time this week, actually one meal at a time, and trying to make healthy choices, as well as eating within an 8 hour window (for 16:8). Today I had some grainy bread toast with avocado and Vegemite for breakfast, and a boiled egg and salad for lunch. It’s another hot day here, in the 30s, so I’m thinking of having another salad for dinner tonight.
    I had intended to not way until the end of this week, but I stepped on the scales last Tuesday and found I’d shed 1.1kg (2lb something I think), however I’ve had a few “off plan” days since then so wouldn’t be surprised if I’m still the same on Friday, hopefully won’t have gained again.

ArcticFox – hope your reflux settles down soon. I get bad heartburn from medication I take for chronic illness and take Nexium each day which helps, it’s awful when I forget to take it!

Have a good week all!

on

Hello
    Well it was weigh day for me today after my 28 day fasting protocol. I did 3x 36 hours on week 1 followed by one 36 hour fast and the rest of the week was 19:5. I’ve fasted for 19 hours every day for the last fortnight and eaten within a five hour window. Today I got on the scales and I was 159.8 which was disappointing. On 20th December I weighed 154 lb. I reckon I put on about 7lb at Christmas so to lose less than 2lb in a month of clean fasting is extremely disappointing. I am going to continue my fasting for February and be mindful of eating low carb. I will keep a tally on my weight weekly going forward and report any losses. I am disappointed but not defeated. Hope everyone has had good results.

on

Hi everyone

Just dashing in to post and say hello.

Sorry for going MIA but sadly my mother is very poorly and is now on end of life care. So I’m spending most of my time at the hospital. I’m trying to stay strong and make sure everything is as she would want it to be, but it’s a very difficult time. Not helped that, due to resourcing issues, she’s still in the corner of a general ward which also includes a couple of patients with various issues that make them aggressive and noisy. All a complete nightmare tbh. But the palliative team, chaplaincy and volunteer companions are being wonderful and giving me a break.

Quick responses to some recent posts. (sorry if any don’t make sense as just reading them quickly!) . . . .

CATHY I hope the new job goes well, and I’m glad that your test results are not sinister, despite the uncertainly you still have. Sorry for your disappointing weigh-in. I’d wondered if going back to what you did at the start – rather than extended fasting – might be worth a try?

SUE don’t put yourself down . . . you are the undisputed queen of food planning! And well done on your natural loss.

DAWN, sorry you’re struggling and hope that you draw some inspiration from others on this thread. All I would suggest is don’t try to do everything at once : pick one thing to start working on (mine was wine and snacks) and start reducing that. See where that leads and then add more restrictions into your diet.

ARCTIC FOX I hope you identify your health issues and find a way forward whatever the issue is.

MARIET really hope you continue to see clothes victories!

YOWZER thank you as always for your inspirational posts. I really enjoyed reading through the Keto info and hope that others did too. And how are you getting on?

I’ll respond more fully to all your individual posts in due course, but am celebrating with those who are seeing results, and commiserating with those who are not. I’ve been on both sides of that great divide . . . and not always for reasons that I understand!

Despite (or maybe because of?) all that’s going on, I’m on a weight loss roll right now. Dipped into the 139s this week. I don’t have much appetite but on a typical day am managing one decent meal in the evening and perhaps a light lunch or couple of healthy snacks during the rest of the day. Also – depending where I park for the hospital – quite a bit of walking. I weigh myself daily so at least there’s something to look forward to in the morning, and also my clothes are feeling looser. Even though it’s a really bad time, I’m thankful for good health and know that our WoE is a very big part of that.

Love to you all, and I’ll post again when I am able to do so.

DCT xx

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Dear DCT,thinking of you and your Mum. I hope they can find a quieter place for her and you to have some peace. Sending love and hugs to you both and all your family xxxx 🙏

• posted by SueBlue
    on

DCT – so sorry to hear about your mum, thinking of you at such a difficult time and sending love from the other side of the world x

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to our posts, really appreciate you always thinking of us.

Take care xx

on

DCT
    Sending you lots of love at this very difficult time. Thank you for keeping in touch and I’m so sorry to hear that your mum is so poorly. I hope she is comfortable and being cared for well. Look after yourself and know that we are all thinking about you and sending kindness and love to you and your mum and your family.

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Hi everyone, just catching up with posts today.DCT thank your for your wise words and I’m so sorry to hear about your Mum, am thinking of you both.
    I’m definitely having a better week food wise than I have for a long time so hoping it continues.Dawn XX

on

Hi everyone, just checking back in.

Thank you so much for all your kind words, much appreciated. Sadly my mother died at the weekend, but she seemed peaceful and had been sleeping soundly for several days in the run up to it. So my hope is that she knew nothing about what was going on and just slipped away. It’s been a sad and difficult time, and I will have lots of things to sort out over the next few weeks, but I am so thankful for all the love and support around me, including all of you of course x

On a happier note, my Leap into 2024 journey is still going well. My weight is currently fluctuating between the 139s and 140s, but I’m also particularly pleased that I have lost an inch (I think – am hopeless at remembering to measure!) from both my waist and belly, and clothes are definitely fitting more loosely. I hope that I can maintain this momentum for the remaining 3ish weeks of the journey.

How is everyone else getting on? Would love to hear your progress. We still have over 3 weeks to go so there is time to make a difference, wherever things are at right now.

Love to you all,
    DCT xx

• posted by Nokie
    on

Hello Dct💕
    I am so sorry about your loss also sorry I have not replied to posts I haven’t been getting any not sure why 🤔
    I hope hope mum is at peace now and I wish you and your family love and support over the next few weeks which you will all need

My weight is going up and down my own fault really I eat more when it’s cold an miserable 🙈I am still sitting on bus and will continue on this journey with you all hope everyone is ok

Be in touch soon take care
    Love and prayers
    Nokie x🙏

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi DCT,Im so sorry to hear your news. Im glad your Mum went peacefully,but its so sad for those left behind losing a loved
    one. Sending love and hugs to you and your family. Time to give yourself all the TLC that you gave your Mum now. XX

on

Hello DCT- so sorry to read your post this morning. Sending you and your family lots of love at this sad and difficult time. When things feel right you can jump back on board and we can share our stories. For now, take care and grieve it’s important to give yourself space and time. Lots of love to you.

• posted by Mariet
    on

So very sorry DCT. It is such a difficult time for you and all your family. I am glad your mother went peacefully, it must be so comforting for you, too.

Thinking of you and your family.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

So sorry to read your post DCT, I’m sure you are taking some comfort in the fact that your dear mum passed peacefully, and also that you’ve been able to spend more time with her recently after she moved closer to you.. Thinking of you and your family, I know what a difficult time this will be for you all so please take care of yourself x

• posted by ADD6605
    on

So sorry to hear about your Mum DCT, sending you much love.Dawn XX

• posted by 1960smp
    on

((( DCT ))) sending gentle hugs and sincere sympathy on your loss. It is a comfort to know your mum went peacefully xx

on

Hi everyone

Just to say a huge thank you for all your kind words. They are really appreciated. I love how we are in some ways still strangers but in more ways good friends. Thank you all xx

Back to our journey, we have 3 weeks left. Do post and let us all know how you are doing and what you hope to achieve for the rest of the journey? My weight is currently fluctuating within the 139s/140s and I have also lost some body fat, with clothes hanging looser. I hope to see off another couple of pounds by the end of the journey and be able to finally wear a pair of black culottes that I bought online but have never been able to fit into. Here’s hoping 🤞

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

I agree wholeheartedly with you DCT. I feel like theres real friendship on here and I love it!
    All im managing at the moment is to lose some of the christmas weight. Im in such a hibernating mood that I want to just stay home,read,do puzzles,listen to the radio,be cosy,and eat comforting things! Think I’ll do better when March rolls in and I wont be so hibernatey any more.
    Sending big hugs to you and yr family DCT,look after yourselves and be kind to yourselves xx
    Brrrrrrr…Anyone in the UK got the threatened snow yet? We just have very heavy rain and high winds so far today.
    Let’s close the bus windows and whack up the heating.XX

Please log in or register to post a reply.