Last day of 8 weeks

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Zendo
    on

Today is the last day of my 8 weeks. Now what. Does anyone have ideas around maintenance of the good work done to lower the blood sugar to a normal range? I see the doctor again in a month or so. This is where my Hba1c is tested again. I probably won’t cut medication entirely until I see him. So far my Hba1c
    has come down to 6.5 millimetres per litre. I am still on BP medication and my Statins have been halved. I have room to move with Diabex and Byetta.. They can be reduced. My daily blood sugars have been around 5 to 8. I am a bit nervous of letting go the diet and choosing a 5-2 but I expect to be using low GL carbs as reassurance. Ideas from experienced people welcomed….

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi Zendo,
    Congratulations on achieving 8 weeks on the BSD. What great results. I’m currently Week 5 Day 2 – so still a way to go, so I don’t fit your ‘experienced people’ category.
    This morning I was re-reading ‘The 8 Week BSD’ book, thinking about where to in 4 weeks time? As you know there is the natural progression to 5:2 or the M plan low carb Mediterranean way of eating.Also, I’ve read somewhere that Prof Taylor says to consume 2/3 of the amount you did pre BSD (I hope I’ve recalled that properly).
    You’d know from reading the forums that there are people that have continued on the BSD 800 beyond the 8 weeks too.
    So……it’s time to ‘take off your training wheels’ and decide ‘where to now?’ Best wishes and please keep us all updated on your progress.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Zendo. I’ve just completed 19 weeks on BSD and plan to stay on it longer term as I still have more weight to lose (3.5 stone gone, 2.5 to go). I wasn’t on diabetes medication, but my fasting level on starting was 10.9. Now it’s consistently within the normal range. I asked the team about staying on the BSD longer term and they said it was ok for a few weeks as long as I felt OK. But there are now many people on here sticking with it long-term.

• posted by Carolg
    on

Hi Zendo, Last day of week 11 here (2stone 11 down, 9 stone more to go). At the start my fasting blood sugar was 16.7 on medication and I could see the insulin suggestion looming in my future – 2 weeks ago all my medication was stopped by GP as long as I continued on the diet (fasting bs now sitting around the 6.5 mark). Like Lynne and many of the others I fully intend sticking with the plan

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Carolg
    Those blood sugar readings now are gold! Way to go 😀
    I’m week 12 & 1 &1/2 stones down. 2 weeks off meds (metformin ) but FBS taking time to come down, 6.6 today. 3 years diagnosed type 2 but believe I’ve been diabetic much longer! I also believe I have a personal fat threshold & I haven’t yet reached my tipping/ reversing point. Hope I will but nothing guaranteed in this life.

Will try to lose more weight & keep on keeping on. This is for life so not worrying about the speed of change. Best of luck to you

Zendo you have options. Continue if you’re happy. Things have improved for you & there’s more to come. We’re all thinking of what to do next & when? Whenever we make that decision we have to eat 2/3 less than we did to maintain our target weight ( prof Roy Taylor said) Newcastle uni trial Reversing T2.
    Well done for now

• posted by Zendo
    on

Hello Eureka,

Thanks. I am staying with 8 weeks with slightly more carbs…. I don’t need to lose more weight but want the sugar to be lower so I can be off more medications in the future… I have been type two for 18 years but this is the best control has been and it’s to do with a varied Mediterranean diet and low carbs,,,

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Zendo
    I’m staying on this BSD for a while yet too. Just taking the My marathon in May challenge for British Heart Foundation that ay caramba posted. I’m doing it & will donate after. I don’t Face book or Twitter. I’ve been very sedentary & concentrated on the diet. Now I need to move! Want another 7lbs off this month.
    Love the Med diet too. Keep on keeping on

• posted by Zendo
    on

Hello,

I have also decided to stay on the BSD and go into week 9. I like most of the food although getting used to eggs and portobello mushrooms was an effort. I have found my eating has slowed. I think when I ate so many carbs, bread mostly, I ate very quickly and very often. Now my weight is normal and my blood sugar and cholesterol are getting close to normal, I am quite happy about the results. There has been a lifestyle change for me and that seems the most significant. After having diabetes for 20 years this is the best attempt yet at controlling my weight and sugar levels. In fact it works for me. I am not sure I would consider myself having reversed diabetes because going back to higher carbs would surely bring back high sugar in my blood. However I am very content. Thank-you everyone for your great sharing on this forum… Cheers

• posted by Peteinthebayou
    on

I’ve just completed 9 weeks on BSD800 (I repeated a week due to a bad week around week 5) and I nearly met my initial target of losing 10% of my starting weight (144.8kgs down to 131kg). I had a break over the May Day weekend and found a couple of kgs back on. I was planning of going to 5:2 for a couple of weeks and then hitting another 8 weeks of BSD800 but now I think I’ll just stay on the 800 cal/day regime until I head off for my summer holidays on 8th July – 10 more weeks. What am I aiming to achieve in the next 10 weeks? Another 10% would be great but I have seen my weight loss reduce from the initial rapid rate to a more realistic 1kg per week. My target is to be 120kg by 8th July – I’ll keep the forum posted on my progress…

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Great results Pete.Best wishes.

• posted by Grandmarob
    on

Well done, I think its good to have a day off now and then, Its great you got back to it.I have also just finished the 8week 800 diet cant say I enjoyed it but thought the results would be worth it, got that wrong too didnt reach target at all losing only 8 lbs , now only 2 weeks till holiday and clothes still dont fit, sorry for the rant feeling a little depressed,

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Peteinthebayou
    Welcome. Well done. Good thinking. My loss has been slow & steady. That’s ok, I’m getting there & not stopping travelling on this Mediterranean diet train. 🚂

Please log in or register to post a reply.