Keeping calm and carrying on – my low-carb maintenance journey

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Orchid

Celeriac has been in the supermarkets near me for a while!

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Lynne,
    As it’s got hard boiled egg in, I’m not sure whether it would freeze, you could make it up to the point where you put the eggs in then when you want to cook it just add the eggs and cover with the celeriac?
    In my experience hard boiled eggs go rubbery when they are frozen, hope that helps?
    Christine.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Thanks Christine πŸ˜ƒπŸ’

Living alone it helps to be able to freeze extra portions. Otherwise it’s altering quantities and that doesn’t always work.

Of course I could always wait until the twins visit again to make it πŸ˜ƒ

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Lynne,
    I would make the recipe up, until the point where you have to add the eggs, portion it up and freeze it, then when you want a portion just defrost it, add the hard boiled eggs, top it with the celeriac and grated cheese and voille there you have a lovely creamy fish dish which is really filling. Good luck.
    Christine.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Sounds great, Chistine πŸ˜ƒ

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

LYNNE ..caught up reading the last few pages i have missed
    I know you dont really want or need to lose more but youve deffo got plenty of wriggle room now! It does sound like you need to get a bigger appetite from somewhere tho…
    How amazing about yr hat! And yr overcoat getting so roomy! Glad youve got a nice new one x and some cosmetics! You get smarter and glammer by the day! πŸ‘πŸ»
    Was interested to read about turmeric as ive been meaning to look into that for a while
    Well done ORCHID on yr walk! X
    Oh and LYNNE the pencil skirt! You were only in York a couple of weeks ago!!! x

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Yowzer πŸ˜ƒ

It was weird putting on my hat and finding it too big – fortunately it was my second best one. My best hat is slightly smaller πŸ˜ƒ

My new coat isn’t as smart as my overcoat – zip front rather than buttons – but it’s warm and it fits πŸ˜ƒ On another thread we were discussing our old, baggy clothes being used as camping equipment. Thinking about it this morning, the coat could be used to house a circusπŸ˜±πŸ˜ƒ

The pencil skirt – my own fault for buying a 14, not a 12! I’ll have to take it in, when I put it on it slides down to my hips😱 Fortunately that’s where it stopsπŸ˜ƒ

Talking to the nurse this morning, I said that the figure of 9st 7lb had been mentioned to me so many times over the years and that was why I’d worked to that. But part of me has been thinking about the extra few pounds (as I’ve already gone under the 9.7) to get to 100 pounds loss. Must be all those years at slimming clubs with their 100 pound losers. I’ve said I want to stay between 9st and 9st 7lb, but 100 pounds would take me to 8st 12lb – not too far under my original thoughts. The healthy BMI for my height is 7st to 9st 7lb so I’d still be comfortably in the range. Probably the best thing to do is to not worry too much and just monitor how I’m feeling, how I’m looking while eating healthily – low carb of course!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

I get that Lynne..one hundred pounds off sounds so neat.. I must say 91 pounds never sounded right to me coz the control freak side of me likes even numbers tho of course i could see why you wanted 91 ( 6 1/2 stone) and am very admiring of you achieving that and more! I think theres no doubt you’ll get to 100 lb down ( amazing isnt it!) as you’re very focused, and as you seem to still be a loser in the nicest sense of the word!
    And if you dont,its only numbers anyway,its how your clothes fit that matter, and how you feel in yrself,and of course even more so,how good yr health is! X

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Thanks for that Yowzer πŸ˜ƒ

It must be the control freak part of me too😱

It’s just when so many people tell you not to lose more weight! And yes, many of them do need to lose weight themselves.

I may just stay on the journey and see where it leads – I do love exploring new destinations!πŸ˜ƒ

• posted by Antigone
    on

Captain Lynne – your posts are truly inspiring. I come and read them when I need a bit of motivation. I am about to finish my first 8 weeks and I intend to do another which will take me up to nearly xmas! One thing that strikes me is that many folks on here talk of increased energy levels on BSD – perhaps that happened for you? For me it is just the opposite – I am very tired and certainly not up for increasing my exercise. I do have quite an active lifestyle – I have a half acre garden, horses to look after and land which is a good kilometer end to end but I am fearful of increasing my calories. I am planning to have more protein where possible as I think my muscles are suffering. On MFP and Ketosites they freak out when I enter my BSD stats! So more smoked salmon then (it’s a hard life!) Just wondered if you had any thoughts on this?
    PS; My goal for the 8 weeks is 21lbs and I am less than a pound away (weigh in is Monday) so should make it.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Thanks Antigone

Yes, I do have more energy. Before BSD I really struggled to go up the hills and steps in my nearest shopping town. I live in a small village, don’t drive, have to use public transport to go shopping etc. There’s quite a steep hill close to my house which I used to avoid (unless I caught the bus up) but now I can walk up that hill easily.

I don’t know what you eat, or if you have any health issues, but more protein could be a good idea.. I had to cut my carbs right down, but eat lots of protein, full fat products, and some low-carb veg/salad. No fruit.

Sounds like you’re doing really well. You should hit your target on Monday.

Hope this helps.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

I understand the Daily Mail will be printing a series of articles, beginning tomorrow and continuing during next week, on the BSD and the new recipe book. It will include some ‘success stories’ with ‘before’ and ‘after’ photos.

*Whispers* – you may see someone you know!

• posted by topcac
    on

πŸ˜€

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Shame I can’t get it, maybe it will be online.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

sunshine-girl

The original articles about the BSD were available in the online version, so these could be πŸ˜ƒ

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi all,
    I am looking at the new cook book and it has a breakfast meal which says, 30g rolled oats, with bran? Now I have rolled oats and I have oat bran? What is rolled oats, with bran?
    Am I being stupid, or is it just oat bran?!!!!!!
    christine.

on

No, not stupid, you can buy oats with bran, at least from Sainsburys. It comes in big bags of unbranded and, like the unbranded oats, is very cheap (about Β£1.50 for a kilo). Alternatively you could buy a small bag of bran from any supermarket or health food store and mix it yourself, about 25% bran to 75% oats. Be aware though that there are quite a lot of carbs in it so it is not an every day breakfast – between 15 grams for porridge and even more is you add things to it, like apple or seeds.

Just to add, I have looked at the recipe I think you are referring to, Chai seed bircher asks for rolled oats and bran it is 20 grams of carb, nearly half your daily allowance if you are sticking to the BSD 800.

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Christine. I saw that as well and was puzzled….. I assume rolled oats had its own bran as it was not so processed :-(. Like you – I have oat bran as well in the cupboard – so do I add it in? I guess I need to do the sums to see which matches closest to their calorie count – let me know how you solve it!

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi sunshine-girl,
    Thanks, I did wonder if it was just bran added, I have been told not to have too much bran as I suffer with diverticulitis and it can aggravate it, also Been told to have more bran! To make my gut work properly?
    Might just leave the bran out altogether and see what it tastes like, I might try just oats first then oat bran and see which I like best.
    Thank you though, it can be a mine field making sense of all these new recipes!
    Christine.

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi orchid,
    I’m going to try just using oats for one breakfast then oat bran for another and see which I like best, and of course which is better in the carb/calorie count too!
    I will let you know what I think.
    Christine.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

For anyone who is interested (or curious) I’ve just had it confirmed that I’m in the BSD article in tomorrow’s Daily Mail!😱

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Fame at last πŸ˜‰ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

And well deserved too

• posted by Verano
    on

GREAT!!!!! An inspiration to us all here and now maybe to a load of ‘newbies’ !

Well done you !!!

on

Captainlynne, lets hope it opens this up to the wider public and gives it some credibility. I want to tell everyone about.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Weight this morning – 9st 2lb – down another 2 pounds. Looks like I might be heading for the 100 pound target after all – it’s only 4 pounds away😱

Second shock of the morning was checking the Daily Mail online and seeing myself. I knew it would be in, but still a shock. Typical journalist ignored most of my amendments to her piece!

• posted by Verano
    on

Looking great Lynne!!!!!

You look really good and why not head for the 100. Sure you can do it and you’ll still be within your healthy BMI .

Good luck !!

• posted by shalimar
    on

Saw the article online!!! Everyone looks so amazing …. what life altering transformations. I have some of those problems in the examples. I’m looking forward to similar JOY.

on

Okay, I guess Lynne is captainlynne but would the others like to reveal themselves so we can give you all a round of applause, well done ladies (yes, where are the men)

• posted by shalimar
    on

OATS
    Used to hate them. My mom made them mushy and soupy.

I use the large flake oats and just pour boiling water over them and let them sit a few minutes. I usually add cinnamon … andy anthing i like .. . nuts, fruit, applesauce unsweetened, unsweetened coconut and a few cranberries taste like cherries, flax seeds chipped in a coffee grinder, chia seeds … any and all of the above.

A friend also likes soaking them in milk/water overnight and then add goodies.

Instant oatmeal gives me chills … because you don’t really need to cook it … i like my oatmeal al dente!!

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Captainlynne, I have just managed to get the on-line version to show all the photos – earlier this morning I only had the ‘before’s’. Great to see the difference and all the positive publicity it is generating. Well done for volunteering!

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi captainlynne,
    Fantastic! Just looked up the Daily Mail online so I could read the article from afar. There’s not much left to be said, but in Walt Whitman’s words “OCaptain! my captain! our fearful trip is done, the ship has weather’d every rack, the prize we sought is won,…….”
    Have a great week-end Lynne. Best wishes.

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Lynne,
    Great article, and great photos of you, well done, it would be interesting to see what you wrote and how it was changed for the paper by the journalist?
    Plus I agree with sunshine-girl, who and where are the other successful woman who were featured, are they not on the forum?
    Christine.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi everyone

I’m recovering slowly from the shock this morning 😱

Thanks for your kind comments – I’m still waiting to hear from my family and my boss!

I’ll try to answer your questions/comments.

sunshine-girl and Christine – I was told they had struggled to find people prepared to speak to them! I met two of the other ladies, and they were saying that they (the 4 others) all knew each other – from another group, the Facebook group. There was mention of a man, but I don’t know if he’ll appear later in the week or if he dropped out. So, sorry everyone, it seems I’m the only one off these forums!

orchid – glad you finally managed to find all the photos. I thought lots off here would have volunteered but it seems I was the only one who did. And I thought long and hard about it, including one sleepless night. I checked with our media department and boss, who both told me I could go ahead. It’s a very strange feeling!😱

Switzerland – I love that quoteπŸ˜ƒ

Hope that answers your questions. It has certainly been an interesting experience.

• posted by Natalie
    on

Congratulations on your weight loss and your inspirational fame, Captain!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Thanks Natalie πŸ˜ƒ

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi orchid,
    I had my chai, oats and coconut milk breakfast this morning, I had hazelnuts and figs with it, I couldn’t get passion fruit and didn’t put any bran in,
    It was very thick and gloopy although it did taste ok, however, I have had an awful tummy since, heartburn, which by the way I used to suffer from all the time pre bsd! And I have felt ‘not right’ all day, I don’t think it has helped my diverticulitis at all!
    I will try the oat bran in a few days to see how that is, I will have to be feeling better before I do though! You won’t have the same result as me so would be worth trying it?
    Christine.

• posted by Nettle
    on

Hi Christi

I discovered Chia Pudding a few weeks back and have two tablespoons of the mix everyday…it helps the system move right along. I add a tsp of psyllium husk and let it goop up then make sure I chew it well. I do get a slight gripey tum but not every time so I am experimenting with dosage. I’ve tried soaking seeds in coconut water alone, mixing coconut milk and cream combinations. I’ve noticed I can hardly ever leave any recipe alone, always scheming alternatives worth a try. We do not share medical advice here, but you could research seeds and diverticulitis….I think there was info in the past that seeds could cause upset. Things change so take a look and see current thinking. Perhaps the figs and chia in combo were a factor, too much of a good thing.
    N.

• posted by Nettle
    on

Hi Captain Lynne

I have just read the DM article at my place all the way around the other side of the planet. You look fabulous, lady in red. It’s very regal to wear the nude shoes, the royal girls do it all the time, it seems to make body and costume look just that much smarter.

Thanks for having the courage to go public, we’ve known on this site how inspirational you are, now you may be motivating many more to follow.

Congrats to your workplace for supporting you, a positive move.

Bravo.
    Nettle.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Nettle *waves*

Glad you found the article. Will you reading the others, with recipes?

I normally wear nearly black tights with black shoes, so tan tights and nude shoes was quite a change. But I do like them πŸ˜ƒ And they were patent😱 And 4″ high😱😱
    If I could think of somewhere I could wear them, I’d buy a pair, but too many hills and cobbles to wear them often near where I live!

Waiting now for photos to be emailed to me on Monday!

• posted by denisesunny
    on

Hi Lynne
    Found the article online. You look fantastic. Well done for taking part, you are sure to inspire others as you do here.
    If the dress wasn’t yours I hope you got to keep it. To be able to wear a dress like that is a dream for me but who knows I should make it in a few months time. My legs won’t look as good as yours though. Denise

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi denisesunny

Thank you πŸ˜ƒ

They had a rack of clothes from which they chose what we wore, as well,as shoes and even tights. Everything except the tights was handed back. I had learned years ago that more fitted clothes were better on me, but didn’t look good at the size I was, so it was fuller skirts. And I don’t own a dress – always in skirts or trousers and tops.
    Now I know why so many wear high stilettos 😱

I’m off to Italy in a few weeks – if I can’t find clothes before I go, guess what I’ll be looking for when I’m there!

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Captainlynne – I wish you would have a look in Zara (I recommended before) as there are some great trousers/jackets which I think would really suit you.

I’m on a trip to recommend slightly older women to be more adventurous in the shops they might try!

Enjoy whatever clothes shopping you do! πŸ™‚

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Yes Igorasusual. I am trying to be more adventurous. With shoes as well!

The choice of clothes shops in Durham is limited, as is the stock they carry (small branches). When time and money coincide I’ll head back to York – much wider choice, and they have a Zara. At the rate I’m going I should be looking at girls’ clothes (cheaper as well). 😱

One advantage of shopping in Italy is that I’d be unlikely to see someone here wearing the same clothes πŸ˜ƒ

• posted by Nettle
    on

Dear Captain Lynne

Did you see HRH Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge when she arrived in Canada? The shoes Lynne, you are well fashionable.
    They are in Canada, soon enough she will be turned out in a red dress too.Think hashtag # and trending and you are right up there.
    Being in the constant spotlight I bet Kate knows her carbs to the smallest micro-gram value.
    N

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Nettle

I think she nearly always wears nude court shoes πŸ˜ƒ But Her Majesty the Queen wears black shoes!

Once, in USA I bought a red top. When I wore it the dye ran all’over me. When I got n the shower to wash the dye off, the flannel,and towels changed from white to red😱
    It put me off red clothes! Might just have to try again. πŸ˜ƒ

Not only her carb values – her portion sizes too, I would imagine!

L

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi nettle,
    I did the recipe chai Bircher that is in the new bsd recipe book, I (think!) I enjoyed it! Although I suffered for 24 hours after eating it, it had an unfortunate effect on my stomach, i do have deverticular disease so I have to be careful what I eat, I’m not sure whether I want to risk having it again, my husband enjoyed it though! I do find a sprinkle of linseed every so often doesn’t do me any harm so I am a bit puzzled why chia seeds caused such an awful reaction!
    I always do any recipe just as it is laid out then if I like it I will have it again, sometimes adapting it a bit to my taste,
    You are Correct in saying figs plus chia seeds were probably just too much, although I can normally tolerate figs, I used to love did rolls too!
    Christine.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Nettle – just seen photos of HRH The Duchess of Cambridge in today’s newspaper, and she is wearing. ……….. a RED dress! Just like you said πŸ˜ƒ

• posted by blue1919
    on

Hi C. Lynne
    I don’t know – I go away for a few days (to a very wet Auckland) and come back to check to in on your thread, to find out that you’ve hit the DM and that the weight is still dropping off! Congratulations to you and must have been hugely scary at the same time! 100lbs is a very neat number, but in the long term – which is where we’re all heading for; is finding that magically state of ‘normality’ and staying there.

My Auckland visit meant not being able to weigh every day and being very aware of what I might be offered to eat and then eating out, what might be good on the menu. Found it relatively easy to stick to, thanks to your shared experiences on here. Happy to find the scales reporting in at 71kg only another 0.8kg to reach 50lbs gone! (start of Week 25). Its difficult to describe how I feel, very light, very active and that’s with only half of what you’ve achieved. Perhaps you feel like floating? Found myself in a conversation with several others at work yesterday, where I mentally noted that I didn’t feel the need to adjust my clothes, adjust my posture or suck my stomach in. Heading towards normal in my head at least. Six kilos to go to my first BMI normal target.

Interesting to read peoples’ thoughts about Turmeric. Hubby and I having been taking it for a couple of years, they are high strength capsules (Now Foods, Curcumin, 120 Veggie Caps(650mg)) from a USA website called iherb.com we’ve found it very helpful. We also take Vit D and Vit K and magnesium, seem very reasonably priced compared to NZ.

Looking forward to your next weigh in on Saturday and to read how everyone’s getting on with BSD!

Cheers
    blue1919

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi blue, welcome back from your trip.

Yes, 100lbs is a nice round number πŸ˜ƒ What I have to remember us that I’ve come a long way, reached my ‘healthy’ BMI and the weight the medics have always said they wanted me to be. I’m currently in the experimenting stage for the future. I still write down what I eat, but not the calories/carbs – do I want to do that for ever? It’s a new stage in the journey.

Glad you found it relatively easy to cope when you were away from home. Great resultsπŸ˜ƒπŸ’

Interesting what you said about not adjusting your posture etc! I’ve been able to start wearing shoes with heels instead of flat ones (at 5’1″ everything helps). Skirts are straight rather than fuller. If photos are being taken I don’t go into hiding. (When the DM wanted ‘before’ photos, the only ones I could find were from 2004 and 2012!). At the very least now, if someone is criticising me they can’t call me a ‘fat *********’

Not sure about ‘floating’ but walking is certainly a lot easier. I cover distances I’ve not managed in years. And shopping in ‘normal’ shops – that’s taken some getting used to. It was difficult to find clothes in larger sizes near where I live, but now the size I need is the size everyone else buys!

The whole DM experience was interesting. They emailed me two photos on Monday – the one that was published and one taken in a skirt and blouse. Yes, I’ve printed them(A4!) but still can’t think where to put them. It’s embarrassing!!! But one thing I have decided to do after seeing them is to see about getting contact lenses. I used to wear them years ago. With the developments since, it may be time to get them again. Seeing the optician next week (all being well) so I’ll report back what I/we decide 😱

• posted by Nettle
    on

Hi Captainlynne
    I saw the red dress on HRH and the red shoes. Apparently she has been working on her figure, SHE’S NOT THE ONLY ONE!

Do you realise that contacts will thin you down? They weight a bit less than specs. πŸ€—

Thumbing through the latest popular mag today, saw a great section on fashion for the larger girls, too late, flick over to next page! I am off on a holiday next week to shop and yes, I realised that the choice will be much greater in the average sized range. Lots of trying on to fathom a suitable new look. Recommenced one of my classes yesterday, we’ve not met up since April, questions were asked, weight loss noted, information exchanged.

Which shot do you like the best, skirt and blouse or published one? Leave them both handy so you can look, enjoy and consolidate your success.

N.
    PS On the subject of the Duchess of Cambridge, does anyone else get annoyed at the press still calling her Kate Middleton? I have yelled at them about it several times over the years…and it is years, but it persists. WHY?

Please log in or register to post a reply.