Keeping calm and carrying on – my low-carb maintenance journey

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

At long last, here it is – the start of my maintenance journey (low-carb, of courseπŸ˜ƒ)

My weight loss journey is documented on other threads, but on10th September I weighed 9st 6lbs (I’m 5′ 1″), am now in my healthy BMI, and can fit into size 12 clothes.

So now a new thread begins, to record this new stage in my journey.

I’m still recording what I eat, but am trying to wean myself off counting calories all the time. At this early stage of maintenance I want to just take things steadily. I don’t mind losing another couple of pounds, just to give me some wriggle room under that 9.7 – but I don’t want to go above that, or to lose too much more weight.

I’ll still be eating Mediterranean-style, low-carb. I can’t imagine ever eating any other way in the future, this way of eating has made such a difference in my life.

I’ve already had a few adventures since I hit my target and will tell you about them when I have more time – sorry, but really busy this week!

Hope nobody objects to this thread being on this forum.

See you all soon πŸ˜ƒ

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Lynne,
    I’m so pleased to ‘see’ you on this thread, what a great name too, looking forward to reading all the news about your adventures! I’m still not feeling great, I have had a headache since Saturday! So just doing as little as possible at the moment.
    Christine.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Christine – my first visitor on here πŸ˜ƒπŸ’πŸŽˆ

Sorry you’re still not feeling ok – seems to be something going around. I know a few folk who are feeling really queasy 😱

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi captainlynne,
    Congratulations on reaching maintenance. You’ve chosen a brilliant name for this thread. Thank you for your continued effort in documenting your BSD journey – you are an inspiration and help to so many of us.

• posted by Trelawny
    on

Congratulations Captainlynne, what a fantastic achievement. I will be reading this thread so that when I reach 9st I will be clear on what I should be doing. Well done, looking forward to your tales of maintenance.

• posted by Verano
    on

Really pleased to see your new post. Best of luck on the next stage of your journey !

• posted by Justabloke
    on

Hi Lynne – great work , much congratulations on hitting maintenance! I haven’t posted for a while, my weight continues to reduce slowly with little apparent effort. I’ve been on a ketogenic way of eating for the last 3 months and have chosen that as my new lifestyle going forward. I’m exercising and my muscle mass has incresed substantially, so while my weight loss has slowed , my measurements and fat % have reduced. I’m at 83kg now down from 109kg, and feel amazing. So all the best, can’t see myself ever going back to carbs as a primary fuel source. Cheers from down under.

• posted by Flowerpot
    on

Well done captainlynne, i’ll be following your thread to inspire me and to keep me trying. It’s so great to read of peoples success especially with all the ups and downs.

• posted by Nettle
    on

Hi Captainlynne
    Thanks for the invite to your brand spanking new clubhouse, wish we could all get together for a low cal low carb house warming for you.

Size 12, did you read it twice? YOU are size 12. Well done, all will be fine, that feeling of confidence in being able to keep calm and carry on is an intrinsic part of this BSD for many of us. I treat it as a gift, the gift of health and well being not to be traded.
    Nettle.

• posted by denisesunny
    on

Think you have chosen a great name and am looking forward to following your maintenance journey whilst I get to target!
    I think it might be a good idea to write a brief rΓ©sumΓ© of your journey here for the new people that will find this thread and not know. When I discovered you, I went back and read every post from the start. I’m not a creep but enjoyed your story, honesty and inspiration. To see you coping with trips away etc was so encouraging. You keep things simple – you just did it.
    It took me a while to actually start myself but now on my own journey and feel confident I will make it. Having lost weight many times over 40 years (but never quite reaching my target) I know the maintenance is going to be the hardest part.
    Many thanks for all your posts, Denise

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Morning everyone. Many thanks for your kind comments.

Good to hear from you again Justabloke. Great result πŸ˜ƒ

Nettle – I still take a deep breath before, with fear and trepidation, I buy size 12. When I try it on (at home) I still don’t quite believe it will fit. It normally does!

Nettle – your wish is my commandπŸ˜ƒ

For those who don’t know my story (edited highlights):
    At age 65 I began my BSD journey on 19th December 2015. At 5’1″ my starting weight was 16 stone (224 pounds or 101.6kg). BMI 42.3 and my measurements (in inches) were 50 49 54. As a type 2 diabetic (not on medication) my fasting BG that day was 10.9 and a recent HbA1c was 9.6.

In the first 8 weeks on the BSD I lost 27 pounds and that gave me the confidence to continue on the 800 calorie, low-carb lifestyle.

Since then I have encountered social occasions, residences and holidays (home and abroad).

Last Saturday (10th September 2016 – official weighing day) I weighed in at 9st 6lbs (132 pounds or 59.87kg) which is a pound under my target weight and in the healthy BMI for my height. Since beginning this, I became 66 years of age.

So I have lost 6st 8lbs (92 pounds or 41.73kg). Random fasting BG is always under 4 and two HbA1cs are ‘normal’ – April was 5.5, July was 5.2.

Measurements now (in inches) 38 30 39. My dress size on starting was a 24 (headed for 26) – now it’s normally a 12.

And now … life on maintenance begins. More experimentation, this time to discover how to maintain this weight (although I don’t mind losing another few pounds, just to give me wriggle room between my weight and the 9st 7lbs I never want to go over.

If I’ve missed something, or you want to know anything, please ask. πŸ˜ƒ

• posted by orchid
    on

Great idea Lynn. Looking forward to your ideas going forward.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Morning Lynne.
    Amazing thread here thankyou so much it will inspire and assist many, as you always have done through your journey. Reading your posts I know your commitment will not waver, and your maintenance will be as Yowser says “simples pimples” . It seems this plan has a beautiful inspiring way of re educating our palette, making sticking to plan easier. πŸ˜€πŸ‘πŸ˜€πŸ‘πŸ˜€πŸ‘πŸ˜€
    I am so looking forward to joining you on this thread, officially qualified so to speak, but it will be a few months yet. Hope you have a happy week, thankyou for the inspiration.🌞🌞🌞
    Regards Jan

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Jan *waves* πŸ˜ƒ

• posted by Puneet
    on

Wow! That is an amazing story and really motivating.

I have been on BSD for about 6 and half weeks. I have lost 10 kilos. However, i am struggling with my sugar levels.

I am hoping to lose another 2-3 in next week and half and then move on to maintenance. Your post is just in time for me.

also, as my eight weeks finish I am travelling for 3 weeks – a real test.

These posts are what are keeping me on the narrow path and I am going to rely on them during my travels.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Puneet – welcome.

Great result. Where will you be travelling?

• posted by Puneet
    on

i am travelling to England and hopefully Scotland.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Lots of us here to help if you need it. Just ask.

• posted by Carl23
    on

really inspiring thank you Captainlynne!

I have 2weeks holiday at week 4, any good advice tips, noticed you started BSD just before christmas which must of been a challenge too?

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Carl.

Holiday – where are you going? Hotel or self-catering? This year I’ve been to Prague and Italy as well as a few places in England.

Christmas – yes, it was a challenge but I knew if I waited to start until 1st January I would find excuse to put it off until the 2nd, then the 3rd etc. Armed with my trusty BSD book I only ate low-carb foods throughout the holidays.

• posted by Puneet
    on

Thanks. My first trip

• posted by Carl23
    on

First week hotel in Italy and second week self catering in uk. Did you calorie count whilst away? Those 800 don’t go far, as I like a glass of wine or 3 !

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Like CARL i never fail to be astonished that you started just before Christmas!
    The fact you did so and low carb’d all over that festive season indicated how dedicated and focused you wd continue to be over the next nine months!
    You really deserve the great results youve got Lynne coz you really gave it your all!
    Enjoy reaping all the wonderful rewards now! X

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Carl – no, I didn’t count calories when away from home, wherever I was. I still ate low-carb and watched portion sizes. I haven’t touched alcohol for many years, so that wasn’t an issue for me. In Italy I stayed with friends so shopped for foods I could eat when they ate pasta, bread etc. We ate out several times, sometimes with others, and I always found something BSD friendly I could eat, especially the antipasto. When we were taken to a special ce-cream cafe, the only thing without sugar was black coffe, so that’s what I had! Self-catering in this country – just eat BSD friendly foods, low carb, and watch portion sizes. And drink lots of water! Hope you enjoy your holidays. I look forward to seeing your results.

Hi Yowzer *waves*

Thanks πŸ˜ƒ . I’ve been there so often before – I’ll join the slimming club at the beginning of the year. Oh, it’ll be too full, everyone does that, I’ll wait. Oh, I can’t afford it this week, I’ll wait until payday. Etc, etc. So I realised that if I joined the slimming club just before Christmas it would be quieter and I could settle in to the programme ready for the new year. Last Christmas my neighbour plated up a dinner for me – turkey with all the trimmings, and Christmas pudding with cream. She’ll never know how much went in the bin 😱. I portioned the turkey and froze most of it for later meals. Potatoes, parsnips, stuffing etc straight into the bin and I cooked some extra green veg. Given the choice of cream, brandy butter or custard with the pudding, I asked for cream. When it arrived the pudding went into the bin, to be replaced in the dream by fresh blueberries. Did I feel deprived? No. In a way, it was a challenge. What could I do to stay with the plan? After all, Christmas comes every year so I needed to find a coping strategy sooner rather than later. And that helped when I’ve been away from home, whether for holidays of work.

• posted by Carl23
    on

Thanks Lynne, great tips, did you stay the same weight on hols or continued to lose? Hopefully my resolve will be strong after 4weeks πŸ™‚

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Carl – I came back from 4 nights in Prague 3 pounds heavier, but they disappeared with 2 of their friends the following week. That taught me to be more careful with portion sizes. After a 3 night residential conference in Yorkshire I stayed the same. After 10 days in Italy (plus an overnight at a Heathrow hotel) I came home 2 pounds lighter than the day I left home.

When nothing else was available on a small railway station (I’d just left an airport without getting something to eat) I bought a sandwich, ate the filling and threw the bread away. Another time I was being driven to a conference when the driver stopped at a burger van (dinner that night was going to be late). What did I do? Bought a bacon roll, ate the bacon and threw the bead away. Sorry if it sounds weird, but I just didn’t want to do anything to jeopardise my weight loss, or to help the medics who aren’t onboard with the BSD. It’s me being awkward LOL.

• posted by Jooles
    on

Well done on achieving your target captainlynne – both impressive and inspiring πŸ™‚

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Just caught up with the BBC3 programme from Monday night – ‘Obesity: the postmortem’. If I’d not already lost weight, that would make me want to do it. Absolutely fascinating, scary, and probably other words. The lady in question was 4 inches taller then me, but only weighed one stone more than me, so it was a pretty good idea what my insides would have been like. She died of heart failure, but also gas fatty liver disease. The amount of abdominal fat, and fat around her organs was astonishing. Well worth a watch.

Tonight also watched the BBC1 programme about the doctor trying to get patients off tablets. Interesting. It’s a two-parter, so have to wait until next week to see the end result. He’d probably like some of our stories – so many on here have reduced their medication, or stopped taking it altogether.

• posted by shalimar
    on

I’ve binned food as well … usually bread. If i love a club sandwich i always get it on 2 slices of bread instead of 3 … and then i eat as little bread as possible. If i order a hamburger i get a knife and fork and just eat the meat with a bit of onion and condiments. I love some local corn fried catfish … i either order vegetables … or 1/2 or less of the french fries — because if the french fries get on my plate i WILL eat them. I do this a lot … even when i’m not dieting i do try and cut back sometimes.

Right now i bought some small tins of v 8 vegetable juice i bring a can with me everywhere …. just in case i need a little something to tide me over.

• posted by Kookaburra
    on

Captain Lynne, CONGRATULATIONS from an 8-week lurker than you’ve been a wonderful example and inspiration for. Thank you so much for sharing your journey, you are beautiful! x

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi

I saw that program last night too. I was fascinated that somebody could take pain killers for 20 years!!!!!!

It wasn’t just the length of time but the number she was taking everyday! It was obviously an addiction but what sort of doctor would continue prescribing pain killers like that! The cost ,not just to the woman’s health, but to the NHS must have been astronomical !

I had sciatica a few years ago and was prescribed co-codamol. After about 3 months I had a repeat metformin script and there were the co-codamol as well. I had to ring the surgery and ask to have them taken off future repeat prescriptions! My GP practice is one of the better ones so goodness knows what the bad ones are like!

Will be really interested to see next weeks .

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Morning everyone.

Verano – I’ve probably been taking pain killers for longer than that! At one point I was taking the maximum allowed each day, but when the condition flared up there was nothing else I could take. So I gradually lowered the dose until I was still pain-free but able to temporarily increase the dose if needed. The regular blood tests I have anyway show no damage from the painkillers.

The programme last night really made me think about this. I’ve routinely been taking two Paracetamol morning and night for many years. Two years ago I hurt my back and had to add in Ibuprofen (eased the pain, but it still hurt!). Now I’m taking two of those morning and night.

It’s not cost the NHS because I buy them myself. When I’ve been to the USA you can buy packs of 1,000 so I bring a few back.

After last night I think this is my next challenge. First to go will be the Ibuprofen. Not ‘cold turkey ‘ with these, but a gradual reduction. Then I’ll look at the Paracetamol and work on reducing or eliminating those.

Strange to say, but that’s almost more scary than starting on the bsd😱

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Shalimar – I love fried catfish when I’m that side of the pond. With fried okraπŸ˜ƒ

I always tried to have something to eat with me – just in case – but now I don’t need to, because I just don’t get hungry between breakfast and my evening meal.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Lynne

I guess there are probably lots of people who take painkillers regularly, hence the program!

I am from a family of ‘no medication unless desperate’ people . So I only take pills when I absolutely have to which is why metformin is a necessary ‘evil’ for me and if I can get rid of it I will!!

I don’t know why you have pain but I’m glad the program has made you think. I do suffer with lots if aches and pains from my disability but about 18months ago I started to take a turmeric tablet each day and this has really helped. Take a look on the internet. The secret is a high level of curcumin around 475mg per 500mg pill. Lower amounts don’t really have much of an effect. My husband has peripheral neuropathy and his legs have been tons better since he started taking them!

Maybe as you come if the painkillers you could try turmeric it may just help.

Don’t be scared about losing painkillers. You lost your carb and sugar ‘addiction’ you can do this too!!!!

Please keep us up to date with your progress.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Verano

I know a few people who take many, many pills😱 So glad to meet someone who only takes them when desperate πŸ˜ƒ *waves*

As well as arthritis I have fibromyalgia and costochondritis, hence the painkillers.

Thanks for the tip about turmeric.

I must go and cut some Ibuprofen in half! Start with the ‘easier’ one😱

Like the carbs, thought the pills were necessary, not an addiction! Oh, well – one addiction down, here’s to the next!

• posted by Timmy
    on

I’m definitely from the school of only take drugs if you absolutely must. Which is kind of ironic when I think back to my uni days. Ahem.

Enough about that. Well done Lynne on reaching your goal. I must say, that is an incredibly huge achievement. You must be over the moon!

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Lynne, I missed the first 15 mins of Chris van T’s programme last night, so need to get the whole context when I watch it on iPlayer. It looked very interesting and I was particularly struck by his comment near the end that most skeletal and muscular problems can be fixed/reduced with exercise.
    I tore my rotary cuff a couple of years ago (putting up curtains) and it took nearly 2 years to clear. I was using ibuprofene a lot, initially with the recommendation of the physio. Physio and ibuprofene got me so far – reduced movement/less pain, but it has been working for nearly 2 years at my overall posture and muscle tone with pilates that has fixed it – the recent weight loss has helped as well as I can no do exercises properly that my belly fat used to preclude! I do reformer pilates which is better if you have issues with joints – you don’t have to keep getting down onto the floor, only to the reformer, and using the springs can increase the resistance of the exercise and allow you to do some in a controlled and safe way. The teachers who I have worked with (classes are 6-8) are trained in working with people who have skeletal issues – we have one person recovering from a slipped disk, last week a man in his 30’s joined who is recovering from a back operation and has been 6 months flat on his back. He is managing most exercises and is told which not to do, or to amend to his needs.
    I can thoroughly recommend that as a way of helping reduce pain and increase mobility.
    The other interesting thing is the Chris van T is one of the Trust me I’m a Doctor team and next week they are investigating Turmeric! I think it is for cancer cure, but they may cover some other aspects as well.

• posted by Timmy
    on

Hi Orchid. I’m amazed that your physio went down the ibuprofen route for your rotator cuff! I’ve done mine previously before too, and was given one of those stretch band things to slowly increase strength. I haven’t had an issue since. That must have been about 3 or 4 years ago.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi again

When I hurt my back it was a muscle I’d never heard of – lower back, apparently going from hip to hip? I was walking, found myself flying sideways through the air with the greatest of ease, down a slight incline, landing on my hip😱 Ouch! That’s when I started on the ibuprofen (advised by gp) and walking with a stick.

Losing the weight has definitely helped with much of my pain πŸ˜ƒ So it seems like a good time to try coming of as many tablets as possible πŸ˜ƒ

Thanks for all the advice and support. πŸ˜ƒ

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi lynne,
    I have just read your post to Verano, I am speechless! On my 50th birthday I was taken ill during the night, suspected heart attack, hospitalised for three days with no sign of a heart attack! It was finally diagnosed as Tietze syndrome, or in other words, cosochondritis! What are the chances of two people on this forum having that, my nephew, (who is a chest consultant) had never heard of it!
    I recovered from the pain initially and have since been told not to use saunas and steam rooms as they can exacerbate the condition, I was also told to take ibuprofen. I cannot take that now as it interferes with my diverticulitis, however touch wood I haven’t had a flare up for a long time,
    I have also been looking at the benefits of turmeric tablets, I think I might start them for the winter, I’m having difficulty doing my crochet as my finger joints are swelling up again.
    I am still doing my relaxed bsd, I have also been experimenting with different foods, I did one day when I ate all my (pre bsd) favourite foods, banana butty, chocolate fudge cake, all the naughty foods! I only put on one pound after that day and over the two weeks I only put on three pounds and went up or down depending on what I ate, so I am pleased with my experiment!
    As I am still trying to get rid of this virus, I am only doing bsd 90% I think it’s an inner ear problem as I am feeling dizzy and losing my balance still, I hope to start next week, Angela will be on her course fully by then.
    I am still intrigued with your surprises?
    What are you doing, if different from the bsd? are you introducing carbs or now eating lunch? I will be very interested in your progress? Take care and ‘speak’ soon πŸ™‚

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Wow, Christine. Not many have even heard of costochondritis. A friend thought I was making a big deal to fit – until she was diagnosed!

I was once taken by ambulance to hospital, suspected heart attack. Next morning all tests were ok but during the night I’d remembered about the costochondritis and mentioned it to the doctor. She pressed a few points on my chest, scraped me off the ceiling, and agreed that was what it was😱

It’s been a strange week with not much time to make too many changes to what I’m eating. Just couldn’t risk not being ok today, so not risked anything different for the last couple of days. I’m not hungry during the day so still only eat two meals. I’ve made breakfast a little larger a couple of days this week, so eating a little more. And bought yogurt and blueberries yesterday – might have some later. I’ll report properly on that tomorrow- my official weighing day.

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi VERANO and TIMMY,

I was brought up ‘tough’ no medication unless prescribed and definitely no time off school/work!
    Like at the moment with this ‘virus’ most of my friends would have gone to the doctors or stayed in bed! me? I have just toned down what I have to do, still did craft club at church, went to the funding meeting at church the day after, shopping, it still has to be done?
    My daughter is a pharmacist so if I am prescribed anything I check with her whether I really need them!
    I do take medication, however only because I do need to for my health, nerve damage to my sciatic nerve, 40 years ago and counting!
    During my recent ‘blood’ test results visit, my doctor was saying because my q risk score was 14% he should prescribe statins, however because he knew I wouldn’t take medication without real cause and given that I was eating a healthy med diet he wouldn’t suggest I did take them! I would have refused them if he had suggested I take them!
    I am going to get some turmeric tablet and take them over the winter! I will keep you all posted on how much better I will be?
    Thank you all for such interesting posts, and I have found the programme, I am now watching it.
    Christine

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Lynne,
    😱 πŸ˜” I know how you felt, I was like that, I knew it wasn’t a heart attack, but knew there was something wrong, I now only take medication for my stomach, however I haven’t had any problems while on this diet so I am thinking of coming off those! And of course my back and leg pain, I used to wake up in pain and go to bed in pain, ibuprofen was the only thing that would allow me to get to sleep! That cased my stomach problems! So the doctor prescribed amytriptylene which was a wonder drug, I was no longer in pain, however I have been experiencing pain again and in both legs and lower back, so he has given me another drug! It’s not working, yet, so I might have to do a bit of research and see if I can find another way of dealing with this constant pain!
    I will look forward to your progress, have you got any days away that will effect what you eat over the next few weeks or months?
    Christine.

• posted by Verano
    on

I was going to ask if your weight loss had helped with any of the aches and pains but you’ve said if has which is great.

I know I can’t advertise here but I use a web company that is based in Coventry and only sells vitamins. The initial cost of their turmeric may seem high but there is high curcumin content and it probably won’t cost more in the long run than all the painkillers!!!

Can’t promise a miracle because your problems are chronic, not just a headache!

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Verano,
    I’m sorry if the post wasn’t meant for me, (about the web site in Coventry) if it is, then thank you for the advice, our car is in for service today so we aren’t going out! Well I not anyway having this dizzy virus!
    I will try and get some turmeric tablets next time we are out, you never know it might get rid of my leg and back pain?
    I will keep you up to date, and thank you gainπŸ™‚πŸ‘
    Christine.

• posted by Verano
    on

N problem Christine just make sure the tablets have a high curcumin content ie. 475mg + in a 500mg tablet. Curcumin is the active ingredient so it needs to be high to be effective.

Good luck!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Just catching up now – been a weird kind of day! Had to put my hat on earlier, and realised it was now too big!😱 Fortunately got another, slightly smaller. And couldn’t wear my overcoat – I could nearly wrap it round me!!!!!

Later the bus broke down on the way home and we had to wait for a replacement.

Plus other stuff!

But ….. I bought the new BSD cookbook πŸ˜ƒ Curling up later to read it and, hopefully, make a shopping list πŸ˜ƒ Lots of nice ideas in there πŸ˜ƒ

Christine – I’m not due to be away until the end of October. Travel to London for overnight stay then off to Italy to stay with my friends again. She’s seen a recent photo so won’t be too shocked this time! And now they know what I can eat πŸ˜ƒ. But who knows what else will occur between now and then!

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Verano,

I have have just ordered my termeric tablets, I found the web site you were meaning! Thank you, I live near there in the West Midlands too.
    I will keep you posted.Christine

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Lynne,
    My cookbook arrived today, I have spent the afternoon reading it, it looks interesting, I will look forward to trying the recipes in my week two of my new beginnings, I have already done my menu for next week!
    Watch this space!
    It’s very strange weather at the moment, yesterday it was warmer outside than in! Today warm and windy, you will have to be careful of not losing your hat now if it’s windy!
    Christine.

• posted by Snoop
    on

Captainlynne, have really enjoyed reading this thread and other posts of yours that I’ve come across since I started the BSD just over two weeks ago. You’re a veritable inspiration. Just have to say thanks.

Please log in or register to post a reply.