Just read book and starting tomorrow

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Mermaid2
    on

Hope that I can keep positive and also active. Really hope to make a massive change in my life. Don’t have diabetes but not to far off it. Weigh 65kg and only 5ft tall or 10 stone 7lbs so really overweight. Waist measurement 92cm or 36 and1/2 inches.

• posted by malkay
    on

Hi Mermaid2. Welcome, and good luck this week. Your stats are nearly the same as mine. I too am 5ft, waist size the same as yours, and this time last week I was 10st 4lbs (I work in stones and pounds). Although my waist size has not yet changed, I have lost 4 lbs, and my blood sugar seems to be stabilising. I have hypoglycaemia, and am not crashing as much as I was. I am not calorie counting, and am probably going over 800 cals most days, but am sticking to the principles of the diet, and I believe it is working. As my sugar stabilises further, I will further reduce my cals to achieve 800. This site and forums are excellent for advice and encouragement. Good luck again, and let us know how you get on.

• posted by andypandy
    on

Hi Mermaid2, I have read the book today & start tomorrow, too. I am a 53 year old who has yo yo dieted all his life & has diabetes in the family so really worried as I am currently around 3 stone overweight & 48 waist ๐Ÿ˜ข I am determined to follow the diet & make this the last diet I ever do & stay for & healthy & avoid the diabetes.

Good luck with yours & perhaps we can compare & encourage each other as the days go by?

• posted by Vaughnie
    on

Hi there mermaid2 and andypandy I am starting tomorrow too. I have about three stone to lose. I’m doing my measurements and weight for real in the morning. I have every diet book possible but this one seems to make so much sense and give fast results – I’m too impatient so am hoping I can see some changes IF I stick to. Can I join you both in the comparisons and encouragement please?

• posted by andypandy
    on

Hi Vaughnie, Great to read your post. We sound very similar as in having similar amounts of weight to lose & having all the diet books!!! Yes, let’s compare & encourage & be successful together. We can do it!

• posted by Vaughnie
    on

And I too am 53! my mum is diabetic and two of my brothers have prediabetes. I so don’t want it. I’m on it – good luck and speak soon

• posted by andypandy
    on

Yes, we are very alike! Same age, similar amount to lose, lots of diet books & my mum had diabetes too. Sadly she died a couple of years ago & the diabetes was a contributing factor so there is no way I want it either…

Let’s definitely keep in touch & hopefully Mermaid2 will join us as we begin our new way of eating & living ๐Ÿ˜Š

Andy

• posted by Jan6959
    on

Hi All

I bought the book last week and started last Monday – I too have been a yo-yo dieter all my life have type 2 diet controlled for 2 years.
    Have had an amazing result lost 9.5lbs!! Don’t feel hungry and really motivated to continue… Best of luck to you all – take the challenge and make this happen we can all do it!!!

Jan

• posted by andypandy
    on

Hi Jan

Well done! That’s brilliant news & very encouraging. Please keep us informed as to how you get on this week as it will encourage us all to go for it & we’d love to follow your progress.

Andy

• posted by andypandy
    on

So, day one…

Starting weight 16 stone 8 pounds (3 stone overweight) & 48″ waist (at least 10″ too much).

Here I go! Good luck to everyone starting today.

Andy

• posted by woobear45
    on

Wow what a lot of us starting 1st Feb! I read the book last week and planned to start Feb 1st too but decided what the hell and started Sunday. My weight is 13st 3lb and I am 5′ 6″ waist 46″ and blood sugars usually 6.6 fasting . Also wake up for loo twice a night and thirsty so I probably have pre diabetes.
    Good luck every one ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by judyjc
    on

Hi everyone…..me too….read the book last week too …used the weekend to prepare and am ready to start. Think I may need your encouragement to keep focused and on track! I too have yoyo dieted for most of my life and I want to find an eating lifestyle that works. Keep you posted. Good luck all

• posted by Gusgrit
    on

Hi all. I’ve been on the diet for three weeks. Blood sugar down to 5 or 6 from 10 or 11 and I’ve lost 11 pounds. Really enjoying it too!

• posted by chinta
    on

Just finished reading it this morning and am motivated to get going too! I have around 5 stones to lose, am 56 years old and recently diagnosed type 2. I would LOVE to lose weight but more important to me is to get my blood sugar down. At diagnosis it was 21.9mmol/l, as of this last week it has been around the 10mmol mark, due, I believe to having ignored my doctor’s advice of cutting out sugar (which to him was the obvious chocolate, pastries, jam, sugar in coffee) and ignoring my diabetes nurse’s advice of having at least one starchy carb with every meal so that my blood sugar didn’t dip to hypo level (some hope at this point!) and instead following the low carb/high fat diet. I live in France and my sister-in-law (who’s also diabetic and didn’t agree with my diet) sent me the Daily Mail article about the Michael Mosley diet so I bought the book because he seems to advocate what I was trying to do.

My main problem I can foresee with his recipes is that I HATE spinach and in rural France I can’t get hold of spring onions and one or the other seems to be in just about every recipe. Anyone got any substitute suggestions?

• posted by FlipFlop
    on

I’m another one starting today, along with my husband! I am 5ft 2 and probably 5ft 2 round as well ๐Ÿ™‚ I once was underweight (a looooong time ago) and have rather over-successfully sorted that out! I am now 50 and want to live to see my grandchildren grow up. I need to lose around 4 stone to get back into a healthy weight range. I am using this to kick start my weight loss and for health reasons – I had gestational diabetes 14 years ago and as a needlephobic, doing the pin prick tests several times a day was traumatic. I don’t want to go back there.

Awesome so many of us are starting on the first day. Hope to catch up with you all soon.

• posted by Jazza
    on

Hi everyone, I’m amazed just how many people have just read the book. Me too, just randomly picked it up in WH Smiths while in the queue . Did a test this morning and got a bit of a wake up call so I’m well and truly going to do something about it instead of just looking in the mirror in shame and horror and then pigging out the same evening. Used to be very health conscious but life events have been difficult and I have clearly turned into an emotional eater. Not to mention enjoying a glass of red wine or two. Good luck to everyone. This is the first forum I’ ve joined on line so hope to get the hang of it soon

All the best. Jazza

• posted by Bizibee
    on

Chinta, you might find watercress and small amounts of parsley work instead of spinach. Kale might be good too, though it’s much tougher. I hate spinach too, but find that a tiny sprinkling of grated cheese helps as long as it’s all mixed with other things like herbs and eggs. Actually, in spiced food you don’t notice spinach much either.
    Jazza, I know just what you mean about denial!

• posted by andypandy
    on

Hope everyone’s first day going well. I’ve only had 500 calories so far but lots of water in between & feeling quite full! Heading home for a healthy 200 – 300 calorie dinner. Let’s do this, folks. Good luck.

Andy

• posted by Aliba
    on

Good luck to all of you who started today!This is the first time I have ever posted on a blog but I really believe this is a revelation for those of us who struggle to lose weight. it has always been tough for me and being type 2 for the last 4 years hasn’t changed that. But 4 days on this diet and I’ve lost 5lbs….ok some may be water but who cares …..it’s working.
    Day one was a bit tough (I love food!) but since then, no problems. Have made sure I take food to work (boiled egg) and truly have not been tempted. In fact walked past a full tin of chocs today without wanting one.
    Stick it out folks, we have nothing to lose but our weight!

• posted by Bexicle1979
    on

First day today…had a handful of almonds cos I was struggling but in general a real good day! Was stuffed after breakfast lunch and dinner, first time in a long time, and it was all tasty!

• posted by Aliba
    on

Glad your first day when we’ll Bexicle….I found that peppermint tea helps when hungry…comforting and no calories!

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi everyone
    I also started today. I didn’t find it hard and wasn’t tempted but I was hungry all day. I am also hypoglycaemic which made me nervous about starting and now I do feel fairly brainless but then I did do 9,500 steps on 800 calories. Hopefully tomorrow or the next day things will even out.
    Good luck everyone I hope your day went well.
    Penny

• posted by Aliba
    on

That’s a lot of steps Penny!
    Day two I felt a bit weird and hungry but that could be because I’m not used to ever allowing myself to feel any hunger!
    Good luck and hope it all settles down

• posted by chinta
    on

Bad start! Got unexpectedly invited for aperatifs this evening, so had a few drinks. However, stuck to the dinner I had planned of baked cod, green beans and lentils. Only had a greek yoghurt for breakfast and no lunch. I’m hoping this diet will work for me. My main problem has always been that I don’t eat enough (so why am I so overweight!?!?) I was always told off at WW for not eating enough. So I think having breakfast and then a higher cal dinner should work for me. I’m now in the mind set that if I have a bad day it’s just one day and I can start again tomorrow, rather than just give up, so back on it again tomorrow, with no alcohol!!

• posted by Squidgy
    on

Hi Mermaid 2 – I’m 5’1, 51 and starting weight last week was 11’3. Lost a fantastic 6.5lb in the first week, so a great start and i can feel the difference already! Roll on week 2……

Good luck, stay strong!

• posted by Smileymiley1
    on

Hi All , I too have started today. I did post something last night but I can’t find it.
    It will be great to find encouragement here as I think we will need it. I have done the diet already 18 months ago but have put the weight back sadly so I am here trying it again and then maintaining the loss.
    My levels were brilliant when I did it last time so well with doing!!
    Good luck everyone. One day at a time!

• posted by woobear45
    on

Good luck smileymiley

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Aliba and everyone
    Such an encouraging thread.
    Today I haven’t felt hungry. Which is a great relief. Couldn’t sleep from hunger last night though. So spent time looking through recipes! I lost 1 lb since yesterday!
    Have found some lovely slow cooker recipes which I’ll share.
    Tomorrow I have a committee annual dinner- big test! Luckily I’m not interested in alcohol.
    Good luck everyone.
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Squidgy
    I m the same height but weight was 11.6. Now down to 11.5. So I take encouragement from that and what you said.
    Hope it’s still going well.
    Penny

• posted by Sean
    on

Afternoon ive just started on my second day im type 2 diabetic (18 months) hoping i can get it to reverse it this, is why ive started read the book and thought why not so my stats are
    height 6 ft
    weight 132 KG
    my aim 100 KG

Wish me luck

• posted by Smileymiley1
    on

Well day 2 nearly over. I have been hungry this afternoon and struggle drinking lots of water. I must stress how important fluids are especially if using the milk shake. Well done today everybody.
    One day at a time!

• posted by Smileymiley1
    on

Thanks woobear45!
    Good luck to you too ๐Ÿ‘

• posted by chinta
    on

Lost 1kg since yesterday but really struggling to drink as much water as I should.

• posted by Smileymiley1
    on

Trust me if you don’t drink a lot you will get constipation! Very unpleasant . Drink drink drink. I know it is hard. I struggle too ๐Ÿ˜ณ

• posted by andypandy
    on

So far, so good. Three filling meals totalling around 800 calories & 3 litres of water sipped during the day. Lost 4 lbs from 7 am Monday to 7 am Tuesday & feeling great ๐Ÿ‘ Hope everyone else enjoying & losing…

• posted by Smileymiley1
    on

That’s brilliant andypandy! Keep it up. Can I just ask is everybody eating anything as long as around 800 Cals eg hard cheese and bread?

• posted by andypandy
    on

Hi Smileymiley…

I have decided to cut out bread, cakes, biscuits, sweets, chocolate, rice, pasta, etc

I love cheese so have a bag of grated cheddar which I sprinkle over meals. Not too much though!

I had 2 scrambled eggs for brekkie today, sprinkle of cheese on top. Pilchard salad for lunch then turkey stir fry with lots of green veggies for dinner, sprinkling of cheese on top! Calories 760 for the day.

Drinking 3 litres of water by sipping during the day.

Hope that helps

Andy

• posted by Squidgy
    on

Hi Smileymiley – I’m trying to reverse my diabetes type 2 or at least reduce the medication (I was diagnosed 8 years ago) so am being very strict and like Andy cutting out all bread, cakes, biscuits, sweets, chocolate, rice, pasta, sugar, potatoes, starchy veg, etc

Today I had Greek yogurt and blueberries, with a few oats and chia seeds for breakfast, then homemade veg soup and a kiwi fruit for lunch, then scallops and stirfry veg for dinner, with a glass of coconut water. I also allow myself 200ml milk per day and make myself a flask of filter coffee which I take to work, and when that’s finished I have herbal tea – Pukka cinnamon or mint are the current favourites. And I take a water bottle with a couple of slices of lemon or lime. Drinking is definitely a must – I’ve felt much thirstier than usual even though my blood glucose is lower than usual. I can’t believe I have not been really hungry once since starting last week.

I track all my calories on Nutracheck

Good luck – the important thing is to find something that works for you.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Chinta
    I have just finished day 2.
    I ve managed to drink enough by drawing 5 cups of tea and 5 glasses of water in my notebook and crossing them off as I drink them through the day. Yesterday I did 4 of each to get used to it. – well it works for me!
    Hope it helps
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Smileysmiley
    I think we re supposed to cut out carbs in general during the 8 weeks because they spike the blood sugar. I think to get rid of the internal fat that causes diabetes it’s necessary.
    I think only a small amount of jumbo oats and a small amount of brown rice is ok. Otherwise only the carbs that come in other foods eg beans that are partly carbs but don’t spike the blood sugar. Cheese is ok I think if within the cals- so not much!
    Hope this helps.
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Squidgy
    Your food sounds great.
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Thanks Aliba
    Much better today, no horrible hunger. I’m not used to it either but luckily it seems to have gone. We ll see if I sleep!
    Thanks for the encouragement
    Penny

• posted by Jan6959
    on

Hi All
    A typical day for me food wise
    Breakfast – greek yoghurt with some raspberries
    Lunch – green salad, spring onion, 4 baby plum tomatoes and either boiled egg or prawns or chicken
    Dinner – Salmon fillet or small steak with peppers, leeks, mange tout, green beans with a teaspoon of sun dried tomato pesto in a stir fry.
    I ensure I don’t eat after 7pm. In 8 days I have lost 11lbs. However I am morbidly obese or too short for my weight (should be well over 7ft tall) ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
    Jan

• posted by Vaughnie
    on

Well done everyone – so great to read your encouraging news and meal suggestions. Day two done, no hunger at all but slight boredom around 3 o’clock – this was always when I would tuck into a packet of biscuits and a nice cuppa but that’s so last week!! I’ve managed to keep to the 800 calls but only by counting every morsel. It’s scary how quickly the calories add up. Got another PT session tomorrow which I’m excited about with Michael’s day 3 menu to look forward to. Keep up the good work everyone

• posted by chinta
    on

I like the idea of drawing the cups and glasses, I shall try that!!!

Today I had greek yoghurt and blueberries for breakfast, nothing for lunch (which is quite normal for me) but I think Michael Mosley seems to think this is OK (unlike so many others), then chicken and stir fry veg, with 1oz of noodles for dinner.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Jan
    I love that joke- another version is – I’m not overweight I’m undertall!
    Me too- but not for much longer, fingers crossed.
    Penny

• posted by Aliba
    on

Hope you do sleep well Penny. Interestingly I’ve actually slept better and woken up feeling good last few days. Not knackered in the mornings like usual!

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Sounds good…
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Aliba
    Thanks.
    I did definitely feel more awake than usual this morning despite sleep disturbance. My sister, who s a few days ahead of me, has found the same.
    Penny

• posted by chinta
    on

Starting day 3 and I’ve lost 2kgs so far. That makes a total of 6kgs since Christmas because I was following the low card/high fat diet anyway, just fewer calories in this one. Yesterday I told my diabetes nurse that I had lost 5kgs and she said “well hopefully you’ll have lost 10 by the time I see you in September.” I’m hoping it’ll be closer to 30!!!

Please log in or register to post a reply.