Just read book and starting tomorrow

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by auntieambel
    on

I started on 1st February too. Saw the book advertised on Mumset, bought it, and here I am. I’m 5 foot 3 and weighed in at 18st 9lb. Struggled with weight for 30 years, I’m 46 now. I had blood sugar tested and it came back at 4.8, so no problems there. I’d love to keep checking in with you all if thats ok, it will keep me motivated. I’ve not felt hungry yet so far either, its amazing, considering I was a total carb-monster!

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Auntieambel
    Welcome to the forum.
    Penny

• posted by andypandy
    on

Wow! Started Monday morning, haven’t felt hungry once & lost 6.5 lbs in 48 hours!!! Hope everyone happy and doing well…

Andy.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Chinta
    That’s great
    I’ve only lost 1 lb so far. On day 3. My sister is on day 5 and not list anything. must be a family thing. We will trudge on. ๐Ÿ˜

• posted by Pennyssister
    on

Hi everyone! As Penny posted no weight loss after first week but I have not been very active as a cold has left me very chesty and breathless. With all your support I will keep to the diet. I feel better first thing. Previously I spent the first hour of the day getting going!

• posted by Aliba
    on

Hi all
    To all you newbies, It’s really great that you are all doing this diet and welcome!
    Andy…that’s and amazing result for you…well done.
    Penny…did you start on Monday? That’s only a few days so please don’t be disheartened…could be fluid retention? Not enough fluid?….body adjusting? You’ll do it and a pound off is way better than a pound on!
    Have had to get the food thing down to a fine art with the planning or I would easily fall off the wagon with work and late meetings!
    This is my priority and my pesky pancreas is going to get what’s coming.
    I’m starting a new post….what I ate today because although Michael’s recipes are fab a lot of us need ideas that are simple (me included)
    X

• posted by Smileymiley1
    on

Hi all,
    Thanks for the food suggestions. They are brilliant. I did the shakes entirely last time with 250g leafy veg. This is so much better as I am mixing it up a little. I hope I still get the loss I need.
    I think you are right about staying off the carbs. I tested my levels going to bed and they were 4.8 which was good. There is something really good about going to bed with a near empty stomach. I keep thinking about all the food my body needed to process overnight. I too have slept a lot better the last two nights and this was the same the last time I did it. It’s great to go to bed and sleep until 5am anyway.
    I tested my level this morning before any food and it had gone up to 7.7 ๐Ÿ˜’ I then realised I hadn’t taken my met forming dot 2 days so I shouldn’t be surprised.

Well done on another day (nearly) under our belt.
    This was what was missing when I did the diet on my own. This is a great blog!!! Keep on trucking ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Smileysmiley
    Someone else said about sugar up in the morning. I may be remembering wrong but I think we all have BG a bit higher then in order to get going- which is ok if you don’t have a problem.
    I’m glad you’re finding so much support on here- me too! No more isolated dieting!
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Aliba
    Thanks for supportive words. I think it must be a body adjustment thing, especially as me and my sister are experiencing the same problem. We ll keep going, we have to lose weight eventually!
    Today I did 13,000 steps! Surely that must help. (Had errands to run and walked them all)
    Great idea about the food post.
    Penny

• posted by auntieambel
    on

Start of day 4 and 9lb down yaaaay!!

Keep going everyone

Love, Auntie x

• posted by Aliba
    on

wow you’re a step Dynamo Penny
    Well done Auntie….amazing isn’t it!

• posted by woobear45
    on

Day 5 for me lost 7lb and as I walk 5 miles every day I have upped it to 6 which is a struggle. I have a fitbit one which is great. Blood sugars are down to 5.4 in the morning and I have lost my dreadful thirst. Have posted a couple of really simple recipes on the recipe page hope they help you Keep going everyone we will all be fit and healthy for the summer!

• posted by chinta
    on

Blood sugar was really high yesterday but back down again today. Can’t work out why. I’ve put on half a kilo today ๐Ÿ™ but I did have just over a 1000 calories yesterday. I was really hungry last night so had a little bowl of hummous with carrots and cucumber which took me over. I’ll try again today. It really helps just writing this stuff down but also hearing that real people really have lost 5,6, 9lbs in just a few days. Gives me the incentive to keep going. Well done everyone!!!

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Chinta
    That’s hard.
    I d suggest having soup or a hot drink like marmite or no til whe hungry like that. That’s what I’ve been doing and I’m definitely feeling hungry less often and not so intensely.
    It seems to be true that weight loss is never straight forward or predictable but goes in fits and starts.
    I lost a pound on day 2 but nothing since then. Now on day 4. Had to go to a dinner last night. Didn’t eat any carbs and ( by my standards!) hardly anything else much but the pound has come back on. ๐Ÿ˜ž ( despite 13,000 steps yesterday)
    We just have to keep on trucking!
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Marmite or bovril!

• posted by chinta
    on

Yes I’ve started drinking more coffee again. I used to drink about 6 cups a day when I was at work but these days usually have one at breakfast time and one mid evening. It does help – I think it’s just the habit of having something to do really. I do a lot of cross stitch and when I do that I forget to both eat and drink because I’m too busy with my hands. At the moment I’m waiting for fabric to arrive from the UK so that I can start a mega picture – hopefully that will help!!! Hate both marmite and bovril by the way! ๐Ÿ˜‰

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Well it was just an idea! Being busy / distracted definitely helps me too.
    Where are you? I had assumed uk!
    Penny

• posted by chinta
    on

I live in Normandy. Have just been on 5 diabetes workshops run by the local health authority. They got quite cross with me because I refuse to have a starchy carb with every meal !!! It’s also sometimes difficult to get hold of certain products or produce here, being rural France. For example, Michael Mosley puts spring onions in a huge amount of his recipes and they’re just impossible to get here. In the summer my husband grows them for me but at this time of winter in rural France you have the options of carrots, leaks, onions, green beans, turnips (and in recent years broccoli and parsnips)!!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hey Penny
    weight loss does tend to fluctuate, I was told years ago not to weigh myself too often as you can lose confidence when the rsults aren’t what you expect.
    Best to pick a certain day each week and make that your weigh day.

• posted by Jan6959
    on

Hi All

Thought I would share a recipie for minestrone soup but minus the pasta, really tasty and filling…
    2 sticks celery
    2 small or 1 large leek
    1 large red pepper
    1 large yellow pepper
    1 courgette
    1 clove Garlic or more if you like
    2 tins of chopped tomatoes
    1 teaspoon each of thyme and basil
    1 dessert spoon tomato puree
    1 tablespoon of olive oil & black pepper & salt to taste
    Method – chop the vegetables – gently fry the celery, leek and garlic in the oil until softened. Add peppers, courgette and herbs & cook for about 2 minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes & tomato puree bring to the boil and simmer for approx 20 minutes and season to taste. This freezes very well and is very filling.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Chinta
    You could freeze some spring onions for the winter?
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Bill
    I know. We were all told that. But michael says people do better if they weigh more often.
    The disappointment is certainly worse if I wait a whole week and haven’t lost. If I know each day it’s not such a shock!
    Thanks fir advice
    Penny

• posted by woobear45
    on

Well end of week 1 for me and have lost 10lb, blood sugar down to 5.1 this morning ๐Ÿ˜€
    Looking forward to week 2

• posted by Grumpmitchell
    on

Hi all, hope you don’t mind me joining your thread. I started last Wednesday and I’m thrilled to have lost 5lbs already. I’m lucky as I haven’t been hungry so far and the immediate results on the scales have spurred me on. I was diagnosed T2 at the end of October with a grand total of 6.5 stone to lose to even get into the realms of s healthy BMI and still got 4 to go. This book had been a godsend as it has just made beautiful sense to me, plus it’s good I like so I feel very lucky!

• posted by Joycey
    on

Hi, I have just finished reading Michael’s book and am also starting the diet. Do you have a to reduce your blood glucose levels a lot as well as weight? I certainly have to do both, am very excited about my journey.

• posted by chinta
    on

I’m six days in now. My BS has gone from 10.5 to 8.3, so although I still have a way to go I’m very happy (it started at 21.9 in November!) I’ve only lost 4lbs but I haven’t been as strict as I could have, fluctuating between 700 and 1000 cals a day. It’s certainly given me the incentive to carry on which no other diet in the last 30 years has done.

Well done woobear! Are you being really strict? Are you doing exercise as well?

• posted by chinta
    on

Just noticed you walk 5-6 miles a day!!!

• posted by SwallowedanAmazon
    on

Hi all!

I started last Wednesday. Currently doing 2 shakes & a 400 calorie meal. Lost 8lbs already.

I’m very very overweight & am prediabetic so it’s my aim to sort that. Morning glucose has dipped into the 5’s a couple of days but up to 7 one day. It remained in the high 6’s on just a very low carb diet I tried last year.

This has been the easiest diet to stick to I’ve ever been on. And the fast loss is very motivating.

• posted by JoJoBonetto
    on

Day 5 results were interesting for me. My official weigh in is Wednesday morning. I am only about 5 lb overweight in BMI stakes but weigh 15 lb more than I am happy with. When I sneaked a look this morning I weighed 3 lb less and when I looked at my belly measurement it looks like (my measure isn’t very good) I might have lost 3 inches. My belly is disproportionate to the rest of me so I need to lose around 9 inches. I am a big fluctuator though. It might not stay that way.

• posted by Graemesmith
    on

Just finished the book. Tomorrow is day one. Really excited to start. Will be weighing and measuring tomorrow and would like to keep you all informed on how I do. I am 40 years old and have had T2 since Jan 2003. I need to reduce the meds I’m on as I currently have to take
    2 x 1000mg Metformin
    4 x 30mg Gliclazide
    1 x 100mg Sitagliptin
    Lantus Solostar insulin as required at night.

Plus meds for high blood pressure & chlosterol.

Got plenty of monitoring to do whilst concentrating on the new meds ….. My diet lol.

You are all inspiring me to stick to this diet and to lose some weight.

• posted by JaiDunks
    on

Hi everyone, Having been a yo yo dieter all my life i thought i would try the blood diet. I have just found the forum too. Day 7 and I have lost 9.5lbs, I am so shocked and happy! Only another 5 stone to go ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Aliba
    on

Well done on all your weight loss absolutely brilliant!

• posted by JaiDunks
    on

Thank you Aliba. Day at a time but feeling positive this time.

• posted by Squidgy
    on

Graemesmith – I’ve been diabetic for 8 years and was on very similar medication (though 80g gliclazide) I started on 26 January, so just completed week 2 and have lost 8.5lb to date. But best of all I halved the gliclazide the first week with no adverse effect, and then stopped it on week 2 as my results were so good (agreed with GP)

I’ve only been above 7.5 twice since I started (8.1 this morning – no idea why) , and so if still stable over the next week or two I plan to stop the sitagliptin next and then gradually reduce the metformin.

It really is astonishing how quickly I can see my blood glucose levels improving.

Roll on week 3.

Good luck with the plan

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Squidgy
    That’s amazing. Just shows how absolutely right the theory behind this diet is.
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Jai
    That’s great!
    Penny

• posted by Graemesmith
    on

Well done Squidgy, your doing great.

Day 2 – completed … Feeling great, I haven’t needed insulin for 2 Days. Fasting BS below 7 already. Sticking exactly to the meal plans .. Food is great no hunger.

Why I didn’t I do this earlier.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Joycey
    I think we re a mixture of people whose sugar is high and others trying to avoid that! But I think everyone is aiming for weight loss.
    Penny

• posted by Nuthatch22
    on

Evening all, wow what an inspiring bunch of people! I have just finished the book and have started the med low carb diet. I’m not diabetic but have a strong family history of it and I’m about a stone overweight . I had my blood sugar checked recently and it was slightly above normal so I’m anxious to get it down and loose some weight and be healthier and more active. I’m not doing the 800 diet but am trying just to cut out all sugar and sweet things and reduce my carbs. I have a terrible sweet tooth and really want to get rid of this addiction. I started on Monday and have lost a pound in three days so I am pleased with that,.
    I am basically lazy so I need to try and get motivated to take more exercise, I walk my dogs twice a day for half an hour but I think my body’s used to this so I need to up my exercise. Any tips on staying motivated would be welcome. ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Nuthatch
    I think having something to record your steps really helps. My phone does it. Other people use Fitbit and similar things. I’ve just been walking everywhere I need to go locally. One day I recorded 13,000 steps!
    Staying motivated for the diet doesn’t seem to be a problem for people. It makes you feel so much better!
    Penny

• posted by Nuthatch22
    on

Thanks Penny, yes I need to buy something for that. Hopefully with better weather I’ll be able to walk further without getting soaked to the skin! I spend a lot of time in the garden, 1 acre) so I must burn up some calories doing that too.

• posted by chinta
    on

I’ve only lost another 1lb so 5lbs in ten days but the thing is that 5lbs appears to be staying off. Most diets I’ve been on, I weigh myself and get all excited that I’ve lost 5lbs and the next day 2 of those are back on. I also have done NO EXERCISE WHATSOEVER. I have bad arthritis in my knees so walking (a little bit) is about as energetic as I get and with the diabolical wind and rain we’ve had for the last few days I haven’t done any. Today we’re going to Bayeux, which is flatter than where I live, and the sun in shining, so I shall try and walk about a bit. Most importantly my BS has been in single figures since day 2 of this diet, which is fantastic. It sounds as though everyone here are long-term dieters like me and for once this diet seems to be giving people the incentive to carry on. Let’s hope we’ll all be stones lighter (if need be) by the summer.

I run a B&B and we have regular guests who come every May so my aim is to astound them because they won’t have seen me since last year. Although I’ve only lost 5lbs since the beginning of the month I have lost a total of 15lbs since November with the low carb diet, so it should start to show soon. In the past this is where I have lost the impetus (?) because a stone doesn’t even show but now I understand things better I just keep thinking of all that fat that must have disappeared from around my heart and liver!!!

• posted by Shrinkydinkyman
    on

I have been on this BSD since Monday. I am not diabetic but was pretty sure if I carried on the way I was, I would soon be!
    Starting weigh 17.4 weight this morning 16.9 ( my height 5.6″) true waist was 49″ although I wear a size 36″ Levi.
    Found the first few days tough but the results spurred me on. I have a one year old grandson, and want to be fit and healthy and see him become a man. Also my daughter is getting married next year, and as well as feeling proud of her, I want her to be proud of me.
    I suffered with dizziness and headaches for the first two days, but took Dr Mosley’s advice about introducing a little salt into my diet, and this has sorted me out.
    I have a fairly active job bit need to increase exercise, (my elderly dog won’t walk far these days)
    So I want to wish everyone here success in following the BSD. I hope you all reach you goals and enjoy a healthy fit and active future.
    Stay positive. โ˜บ

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Shrinkydinkyman
    Welcome. Great name. Hope we all get to be ‘ Shrinkydinky’ !

I started Monday & I’m type 2 diabetic. My husband, who just turned 70yrs is doing this BSD too. He’s too close to pre diabetic for comfort. So far so good weight loss , meals & my blood sugars down.
    We have 2 grown granddaughters & a 3 yr old & 3 month old granddaughters. So, like you we want to be here & in good health for them. What better incentives do we need

Good to have you on board. Q & A’s sorted on this BSD web site. We’re all for one here
    Eureka

• posted by chinta
    on

Now lost 6.5lbs in ten days and 16.5lbs overall since November and 2 stones since my heaviest ever point 2 years ago. Have so much incentive now because I only have another 6lbs to go to be the lightest I’ve been for 16 years!!! ๐Ÿ™‚ At one time 6lbs could have taken me a month and I would probably have given up before I got there but the way this diet’s going that may only be another 10 or 11 days away. I’ve also been taking Sundays off, this week could be bad as it’s St Valentine’s Day and we’ll be in Bayeux for the weekend.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Chinta
    That all sounds great.
    Penny

• posted by Graemesmith
    on

Official weigh day tomorrow – week 1 review

Lost 10lbs as of this morning
    No insulin since I started the diet
    Loving new foods
    Feel healthier
    Blood sugars at normal levels for a week now

Negative points – I only started last week …wish I had done ages ago .. Lol.

• posted by Nuthatch22
    on

Brilliant Graeme , well done! Amazing if it’s made such drastic changes already. I’m weighing tmrw as well, I feel as if I’ve lost weight already after a week, seem to be ‘pooing’ a lot though? Maybe all the veg and beans?

• posted by chinta
    on

Well done Graeme, that’s brilliant. I’m so eager to continue losing that I decided not to go for the St Valentine’s meal – don’t want to risk putting a couple of pounds back on for the sake of one meal!

• posted by auntieambel
    on

End of second week for me, and I’ve lost nothing this week, a stone last week. This week I’ve probably eaten even less than I should be, due to horrid flu virus and sinus infection. A bit disheartened, but I shall go on.

Please log in or register to post a reply.