Just getting started – Worried

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by RPN
    on

Hi, advice please. I’m a 59 year old male, I have been a Type 2 diabetic for around 5 years and am 2 stone over weight. I still can’t decide if I should go straight onto the 800 calorie diet or start on the 5:2 diet, the reason I’m unsure is that as I work full time I’m concerned that if I start on the 800 calorie diet would I experience headaches or giddiness which could cause safety problems while at work? Any advice/tips would be welcomed.
    Many thanks
    RPN

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi RPN
    you will only know from experience
    We are about the same age both T2D but I have more weight to lose.
    I did feel slightly light headed for a couple of days right at the start but you have to look on that as a good thing as it’s carb withdrawal symptoms.
    I’d say go for the fast 800, then if you start getting any serious side effects go to the 5:2 but bear in mind, if it is carb withdrawal symptoms, it probably won’t make much difference.
    Best of luck and remember to keep us all informed of your progress

• posted by RPN
    on

Thanks Bill, I’ll let you know how I get off

• posted by FoFi
    on

RPN,

There is a double bank holiday weekend coming up, maybe you will be working it, but if not you could start next Thursday and by the time you would be back at work it would be day 6 and you would have a good idea how you are feeling. You could eat a lower carb higher fat diet for the next few days, and practise some of the recipes, empty the cupboards and so on.

• posted by RPN
    on

Still haven’t started diet properly as I had two periods of lethargy and dizziness at work which scared me as my job requires quite a bit of driving,
    Also can anyone recommend good substitutes for carbs please? (I’m a hopeless cook)
    I’d really appreciate any advice and tips please?

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Good advice from FoFi. You ask what carbs you can have. You need to go online and look up the good GI carbs. Forget about bread, rice, pasta, potato and chocolate cake (that was a joke). Look for carb like chickpeas, lentils, nuts, beans and pulses. I know they don’t sound very appetising but tell me honestly what rice tastes of, nothing, bland, boring, until you put a sauce on it or do something with it. Same with good carbs. Make yourself a pot of hummus, if that doesn’t suit your taste add some frozen peas and mint. Have something with you to nibble on like carrot sticks, celery, an apple, a small handful of nuts. These all contain carbs, just good ones.

I’m known for being bossy, so here goes, stop making excuses and get started on this wonderful journey for your health and weight and well being. You will enjoy the food when your taste buds get used to the change.

Also, can I just say, yes it is scary, it is new and innovative and exciting too. Join us guinea pigs and show the pharmaceutical companies that we are taking control back.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Welcome back RPM — sounds like you have been trying to get going for a couple of months — well NOW would be a good time to really commit — just ease into it slowly, you don’t need to do 800 calories at first and low carb, you can work your numbers down over a week or two. I think our brains get on board the train before our bodies even catch a cab to the station — be gentle to yourself but start now and just keep going. You might have hard days (I can recall a nasty few!) but don’t quit because it will get easier and easier and you will find yourself in a new head-space in just a few weeks. If cooking is hard, stick with easy foods, simple meals worked best for me anyway (oven roasted chicken, steamed veg, that kind of thing). Eat fat, whole fat yogurt, cream, cheese, nuts, butter (all in tiny amounts of course!) and that will help immensely — you are moving from carbs to fat in your metabolism — get a copy of Gary Taubes book “Why we get Fat” — great primer on carbs/fat/new research. Keep us posted. We are rooting for you!

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Sorry, I see it is “”RPN”” not “RPM”!!

• posted by Chiangmai Grandma
    on

I am just getting started myself. am 20 kg overweight and blood sugars and pressure slightly above normal. Read the books, combed through the website, and am starting with 2/5 for a few weeks to get my body used to it. 2 days in my numbers are already getting better and have decreased insulin slightly. You can do it too. Go for the hope, not the fear and you will have made a choice in your own favor.

• posted by RPN
    on

Thank you Californiagirl, seems like sensible advice to me, I’ll check out the book and keep everyone posted👍

• posted by RPN
    on

Thanks Chiangmai Grandmother, will do

Please log in or register to post a reply.