Just finished week two on shakes

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Barrynk
    on

My first week was great, losing 11lbs, but was very disappointed having not lost anything this week, or gained. I must say though that i’ve had to reduce the insulin again, so something’s working! My eyesight has deteriorated this week, I don’t know whether or not it’s a coincidence as I’m 70, and have never had to use glasses for reading, but now I do.

• posted by Izzy
    on

well done on losing 11 the first week, don’t be discouraged about the 2nd week as many people have a week or two without losses around week 2 or 3 it’s very common. On week 3 I only lost 0.5lb but I’ve gone on to lose 2-3/week since.

Great news on the insulin though 🙂

I’m not sure about the eyesight… To my knowledge this diet shouldn’t affect it however I know side effects of diabetes can and I’d suggest having that checked out by your doctor/optician, just to be safe.

Good luck with the weeks ahead, don’t give up!

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

Hi there, well done so far. There are many calories in a gram of fat and it is often quoted as 9 kCal/gm of body fat. That may be true but when we are in Ketosis i.e. fat burning mode we are still using other means of energy production. Exercising burns calories and can destroy muscle that needs to be rebuilt so we have a balance issue between eating carbs, protein etc and keeping everything in balance without even mentioning good fats and fluids. So, 11 pounds is a lot to lose and if you lost that every week you might be healthy but you might not unless all of your daily intake is containing the right nutritional content – I suspect that is one reason for using the shakes method? Once you get near to your target weight and need to increase calories again and maintain a stable weight, have you considered that you will need to eat differently than before and start to understand food better so as to give you the ideal ingredients that the shakes do for you now? I am sure you will do well if you have been this successful in only 2 weeks but keep posting as the support network here can be very helpful when things slow or stop. All the very best for now, this BSD works so there is no need to worry too much.

• posted by Barrynk
    on

Hi, Thanks for the encouragement and advice.

I decided to do the shakes as it was easier for me, I’m planning now for the Mediterranean type diet once I’ve finished on the shakes, I think my main problem will be the red wine later……

• posted by Angela48
    on

Hi Barrynk can I ask which shakes you used I have been thinking of going down the vlc route as my weight loss has stopped

• posted by Barrynk
    on

I used the Optifast shakes, which you can only get on prescription.

I think that as long as you take a good daily vitamin, you could use any shakes, or even make the shakes yourself. The multi vitamin I use now is Diabetone, which supposedly contains everything that a diabetic needs.

• posted by Angela48
    on

Thanks Barrynk someone has also suggested whey protein I’ll let you know how I get on 😊

• posted by PierreScott
    on

Hello Barrynk,
    I was reassured to see your post as I have had the same experience. I have not been using shakes but have the same pattern you described.
    I started the BSD on July 14th and it went really well for the first week, astonishingly, I lost nearly a stone, since then I have plateaued, with just very small fluctuations in my weight. I have been trying to exercise regularly and can see a difference in the size of my waist which is encouraging. I am overall pleased but hoping I start to lose again in a sustained way. I have seen on the forums that there are no hard and fast rules as to losing weight and everyone seems to have a different pattern.

Please log in or register to post a reply.