Just finished week 3 & needing advice please

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Jules2112
    on

Hello everyone, I’m new to this forum but started the 800 cal plan 3 weeks ago for weight loss, I have a lot to lose! After finding the forum and all the good advice I realised that I needed to watch my percentages of Carbs/Fats/Protein so the goals I have set in MFP are C-35g/F-55g/P-194g.
    I have lost 12lbs in these 3 weeks and I’m delighted with that but whilst I’m managing to keep my carbs more or less on target I’m struggling to meet the fat & protein targets and still keep close to 800 calories. I was overjoyed to find the advice to have full fat dairy and have stocked up on yogurt and Stilton today but even planning a couple of days menus using these I’m still only averaging about 30g and my protein intake is regularly less than half my target. Because I have such a lot of weight to lose I’m a bit paranoid about sticking to the 800 cals, especially as I’m finding it so easy to do!
    My weight loss has tailed off each week, 7lbs then 4lbs and 1lb this week so I wonder if I should be focusing more on the nutrition goals rather than obsessing about the calories in order to keep losing effectively? Any advice would be gratefully received.
    I should stress again I am delighted with my loss so far!

• posted by Just do it
    on

Hi Jules, I’m a Jules too! I think you need to check your protein targets as I suspect they should be nearer 70g. If youre trying to get to 194g it explains why you’re not fitting in enough fat. Well done on the 12lb loss, that’s fabulous.
    The other Jules x

• posted by MooLoc
    on

My weight loss has tailed off too – almost the same losses as you and then finally I have moved a pound after staying the same for s week or more. I just keep thinking that it will all pay off and sticking with it.
    All the best with getting the protein/ fat balanced – I still find it a bit tricky especially if I’m not being organised with my shopping!

• posted by Jules2112
    on

Thank you for your replies. 70g does sound a bit better for the protein Jules, I might manage that!
    Getting the balance right is quite tricky MooLoc, I think mt first week loss was down to fluid/calories as I didn’t focus on the ratios at all, I’m gradually reading up on the science. I find the internet supermarket site a great help with shopping as I can check all the nutritional information and make a comprehensive shopping list.
    Here’s to continued success.
    Jules

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

Hi Jules, the plan works even if you only count sugar and approx calories. Sugar as a max of 30 gm/day is not too hard, I managed an average of 28.4 over 10 weeks and lost over 3 stones at which point I was at my first target weight. In week 18 now quite relaxed about eating don’t count anything and still shrinking very slowly – it’s great, stick with it. Fat is not your enemy really nor even protein but smaller portions and different foods can be a challenge. As you must know it is the “white” foods i.e. the carb variety that we get addicted to and have to wean off from. The protein stops us feeling hungry. Keep going, it really is worth some short term inconvenience – it should not be pain.

• posted by Jules2112
    on

Thanks for this advice Skywalker and congratulations on your continuing success, this is inspiring. It has been a temptation to obsess a bit about the numbers but hopefully by week 8 I will have reached a sensible watchfulness and be more relaxed about continuing.

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi Jules2112,
    There is reference to recommended protein intake in ‘The 8 week Blood Sugar Diet’ book in the chapter headed ‘The Diet in Practice’ and it states ‘The standard recommendations for protein are around 45g a day for a woman, and 55g per day for a man.’

I hope this is helpful.
    Congratulations on your results.

• posted by Trinity1814
    on

Hi Skywalker, firstly congratulations on your incredible weight loss! Well done!

I’ve just completed 3 weeks of the BSD and so far have lost 16lbs which i am very pleased about; however i do struggle with the whole eating carbs aspect. I don’t actually mean ‘eating’ in the practical sense but the difference between ‘carbs’ & ‘sugar’.

Yes i get that we should stay away from the ‘white’ carbs as they contain hideous amounts of sugar but what about the complex carbs that are okay to eat and found in vegetables and fruit? They contain sugar which is absorbed at a slower rate and better for you but are we meant to keep track of this type of sugar or is it okay to eat and not count.

Just to make myself clear; since starting this diet i haven’t eaten any simple carbs, i have hot drinks black without sugar or sweetener and i’ve been sticking to the diet as rigidly as i can with no lapses in focus or urges to binge but i would really like to clarification on the difference between carbs for energy and sugars.

I hope the above makes sense.

Trinity 1814

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Trinity,
    I monitor carbs and calories. Calories as it is an indication of portion size, but carbs because that is the major thing we have to change. I do not distinguish between simple and complex carbs, but I stick to 60g carbs per day. I am veggie so I eat a lot of veg, pulses and dairy.
    The way it worked for me was that I would aim for 800 cals, but keep an eye on the carbs. If I was going over 60g carbs, I made adjustments to dinner to keep as close to 60g as possible. Likewise if I was too low on carbs I upped the content of dinner so it was over 55g as I found I was getting a lot of cramps if I went lower. Sometimes that left me lower than 800 cals other times above that. I was never lower than 720 or above 880 cals – but it averaged over the week. At 60g carb I was fat-burning and lost 33lbs in 10 weeks. That seemed to me my fat-burning level.
    I monitored the food weight and composition using a PC app that does the calculations for me, but it is up to me what the balance is at the end of the day I found concentrating on 2 things was enough and manageable. Looking at my daily protein intake this week has averaged at 45g – which is fine for a female.
    Others have ignored calories and focussed only on grams of carbs.
    Hope that helps.

• posted by Trinity1814
    on

Hi Orchid, thank you for your advice; very helpful indeed.

I eat meat and that combined with seeds, beans, lentils and nuts gives me a wide variety of protein. I don’t measure my protein levels but watch the cals and the sugar.

I started this diet 3 weeks ago weighing 16st 13lbs and now i’m 15st 11lbs. I’m very pleased with this but i need a more efficient way to monitor my carb intake but i have no idea how much in grams i should be eating??

The same can be said of protein but i’m not so much concerned by that. I think a general rule of thumb is a gram of protein per Kg or lb of body weight but i think this measurement refers to athletes and in particular body builders/weight lifters which i did a lot of in my younger years. It is a guide for me though.

Can you tell me what this app is called so i can look it up please?

Thank you.

Best wishes,

Trinity.

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Trinity – this is a software programme for PC’s only. I thought they now had one for the phone, but it does not look like they have. If you want a phone app this won’t fit the bill.
    There is a 10 day free trial then you need to buy it ($49). It is a one off fee and you can upgrade, reinstall on new PC’s etc as you need. It comes with a dictionary of foods – mainly US, but also the base things like carrots etc – I have to remember zucchini = courgette and eggplant is aubergine when I check the products. There is no smart scanning of products, I have built up a database over a period of foods that I use that are UK brands with the breakdown, my copy is now tailored to my food preferences. It takes a bit of time each time you use something new – but it makes you really read the labels before you use it!
    I have had it for 12-13 years and it has migrated across a number of PC’s and once when there was a catastrophic hard drive crash, I had to totally reinstall with help from their helpdesk at no extra cost.
    I also have activities in it, targets set for weight loss etc. It is not as user friendly as some phone apps, but I am used to it and it has a history of data that is useful to me.
    It works for me – try the free trial and see if it will work for you.
    https://fitnessassistant.net/

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Have you tried MyFitnessPal? On iPhone and laptop. I use it all the time.

Please log in or register to post a reply.