Just bought the book

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Vyvyen
    on

Hello,

Bought this book a couple of weeks ago as I tested my fbg for the first time ever and it was 5.8. Thought I’d better get my act together with a family history of diabetes and heart attacks. I’ve had a good run for 57 years eating anything and everything and never worrying about weight gain. I’ve now discovered I must be a TOFI. My only weight is in the middle. I’m also a vegetarian that’s addicted to carbs and sugar! Really looking forward to going through this journey and lifestyle change with everyone on here.

Vyvyen

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi Vyvyen, Welcome to the BSD. The posts on the forums are such a support. I’m looking forward to sharing your journey. The book and the forums are such an inspiration. I’m Week 1 Day 3 and sat down to a bowl of cauliflower soup at lunch. I ate 3/4 of the bowl and stopped because I felt full. I cannot tell you the last time I actually felt satisfied by 3/4 of any meal! Let everyone know how you’re going.

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Vyvyen, welcome to the BSD way of life. I’m vegetarian too and a TOFI, my blood sugars are stable in the non diabetic range since doing the fast 800.
    There are some really nice vegetarian recipes on the site. I can recommend the courgette bhajis and stuffed peppers.
    You’ll soon have your carb addiction under control ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Vyvyen
    on

Hi Switzerland and Cherrieanne,

I look forward to doing this journey with you. Great to meet another vegetarian TOFI too :). I’ll be scrolling through the vegetarian recipes on this site. I don’t know if I can keep off the bread and I love cereals. Wish I’d know that they were not very healthy.

Cheers,
    Vyvyen

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Vyvyen,
    welcome, there are quite a few vegetarians on the forum and are always happy to help if you have questions. There is a fantastic Creamy Cauliflower and Bean soup in the recipe section that I made – I can recommend that. I try to have soup once a day – it is very filling and gets a lot of veg into one meal. It is also good for planning as one pot does 1 for today and 3 for the freezer!
    good luck

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi vyvyen, welcome to the forums and the bsd way of life. If you like spicy food try the courgette bhajis. Make a big batch and freeze some. I add onions and carrots sometimes. Protein comes from the gram flour and you can make some raita from full fat yoghurt :). Plenty of veggies on here to give advice ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi vyvyen.
    One comment in your post screamed out at me and really summed up the reasons for the worldwide epidemic of obesity and T2D.”I wish I had known they were not healthy”
    We have had, for decades, food manufacturers filling us up with dangerous carbohydrates. On the back of that came riding in the weight loss companies with their useless low fat regimes, even the medical profession is singing from the same song sheet.
    Welcome to the revolution!!!
    Together we can and will make a difference, every week that goes by, more people start this healthy eating plan and every week there are more success stories. You can’t hide that or make it go away and soon it will become common knowledge.
    Welcome to the BSD, wishing you all the success you are hoping for.

• posted by jimnz
    on

Michael Mosely was interviewed on Radio NZ about 4 weeks ago – one Saturday lunch time. Realizing that one of our local booksellers had the 8 week Blood Sugar Diet book in stock, I jumped in the car and into the city while the other radio listeners were thinking about lunch. Turned out it was the only copy in the shop.

Been working away for 3 weeks now and have managed to drop 6 kg. I think I have found a reasonably safe takeaway food from the local Chinese shop – Egg Foo Yong. I have tried it and find it remarkably filling

We have a fresh salad chain in the city that sells pita bread wraps. Now that I am on the programme, if we want a quick lunch, I get the salad with chicken, served in a waxed cardboard box instead of the pita wrap.

I am 76 and a retired teacher of high school mathematics. I was diagnosed Type 2 Diabetes about 4 years ago. So far, it has been only diet and exercise controlled – no medication. My plan is to reverse the diabetes.

Jim

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi jimnz, 6kg in 3 weeks is fabulous, that’s almost a stone in old money.
    This works for your sugar levels. I was re assessed as pre diabetic after having blood tests taken just 4 weeks in.
    I and others did experience sugar spikes around about week 4. They were explained as being caused by stored sugar being released from the organs and typically take a couple of weeks to sort themselves out.
    Best of luck to you, keep us informed of your progress.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Jim, fantastic weight loss. Wow, so lucky you jumped in the car and got the only remaining book. Go You!!!
    If you have managed so far with diet and exercise control it shouldn’t take long to reverse your type2 on this diet. I recommend you read all of Bill1954’s posts, His results are bordering on the miraculous!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Vyvyen
    on

Hello and thank you for the warm welcomes. Great that there are other vegetarians in here for support. Yes agree with you Bill. Wish I could ‘like’ each and every reply. ๐Ÿ™‚

Vyvyen

• posted by Patsy
    on

Do you eat yoghurt? If so, that’s a great breakfast with some fruit and/or nuts. I find it just as filling as the cereals I used to eat and it’s not exactly a hassle to prepare.

Bread is trickier to give up, I think, as it’s so handy for a quick meal. Gram flour flatbreads are the best alternative I’ve found. They aren’t really like bread at all – more like pancakes, but they’re helping me not to miss bread so much. Good with curry instead of Naan or rice. They’re also good as wraps instead of a sandwich.

Please log in or register to post a reply.