Just at the planning stages

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by 9plus
    on

Been to doctor today and she has confirmed that I am at the low end of the pre dibetes scale.
    I have read the BSD book and Im getting my head around an eating plan.
    The doctor felt that at 800 calories a day that I could get lethargic.
    SO…………….can any of you share how you have made the 800 a day work for you.
    Whats for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I am studying the ideas in the book but would like any tips from those that have actually done this.
    It scares me to think of only 800 a day

• posted by Nettle
    on

Hi 9 plus

Firstly take the fear away. It works and it works well. Rather than feeling lethargic most of us feel energized and bright and wow pretty quickly. I have read the book a few times, now about 14 weeks in and it has been so easy I am staying on awhile longer. Mainstream medics will frown at lowcallowcarb but soon I think they will have to sit up and take notice.

Today breakfast for me was 2tbsp of my homemade muesili with 2 tbsp of great natural yoghurt. Sounds small but it fills me up. Lunch today was half a pear, blue cheese, 4 walnuts, celery, some rocket leaves, 1tsp avocado oil a dash of apple cider vinegar and a dash of pomegranate molasses…all in the cupboard so I made it up as I went. I sat in the winter sunshine and enjoyed every bit of it. Dinner is chuck steak stew with 3 vege just no mash as OH will be having. KALE is my pick of the week, read about it, it is a cracker of a food.

If you had told me 3 months ago I would not crave or even desire bread or potato I would have never have believed it. I am seldom hungry, I think on reflection I had been hungry for 50 odd years, and I now get a bit irritable if I cannot get out and have a good walk at pace. Quite a change in the brain for sure.

I have kept a spread sheet record and my average daily cals are 780. Who would have thought that possible to feel this good at that level?

I purchased two fast diet cook books at a very reasonable price and have book marks all through them, the Bramble and Beetroot soup is on it’s third batch.

Other than knocking out the white carbs, I don’t think I have altered my food type much at all, I definitely don’t snack like I used to, I do not feel the need. Do keep up a good fluid I take it makes all the difference.

Hope this helps. Just relax. I hope you can report back to your Dr soon by bouncing into the room like Tigger.
    N.

• posted by Izzy
    on

I agree with Nettle. I’ve not been lethargic (other than occasional life gets to you tired) and I’ve been surprised regularly at how much food 800 calories can be when you choose wisely. I’m not hungry and like Nettle (most of the time) I don’t miss the carbs.

Some members like two bigger meals, I prefer 3 smaller ones and sometimes a snack you will have to find what works best for you.

Yesterday I had some home made granola and strawberries for breakfast, some home made almond flour crackers with cheese and salad for lunch, stir fry pork for dinner and some nutty stuff.

Today I’ve had a shake for breakfast made with raspberries, almond milk, vanilla extract and ice. Lunch will be soup (cauliflower and bean) and dinner is going to be smoked haddock with veg.

I like to cook and bake so I’ve found almond flour is a great ingredient to make crackers and pancakes. Low carb and higher protein. Almond milk is great for shakes as it is very low calorie and tastes great. Make sure your yoghurt is full fat, read some diaries, check out the recipe threads you will see 🙂

This is much easier than I expected it to be and I’ve just finished week 8.

Please log in or register to post a reply.