Just about to start – recipe query

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by CeeBee
    on

Hi Everyone

I’m starting the 8 week blood sugar diet tomorrow and am putting the finishing touches to my first 4 weeks of menus (I felt this was a good thing to do so that I know exactly what I’m doing each week and can then repeat it for the second 4 weeks.)

So far, I’m only using the recipes given in the book but am slightly unsure about the calories given for some of the recipes, eg 3 ways to jazz up a salmon steak or lamb shop. It isn’t clear whether the calories given includes the salmon or the lamb.

Can anyone help as I don’t want to miscalculate the calories in the first week!

Many thanks

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi,
    I never rely on the calories given in the book, but calculate from scratch as it depends on the size of the salmon piece etc. and often you need to make a substitution. There are also errors in some recipes calculations that have been noted on other forums. Best to calculate actuals on the day of cooking and have a little room to adjust if need be. Also – one day it may take you able the 800 cals, but MM always says not to worry as later in the week you will find yourself under. Over the period it levels out.
    If you are planning ahead, I always allow about 50 cals for ‘snacks’ – for me cherry tomatoes, almonds, small pieces of carrot and an allowance for milk in coffee/tea etc. I can also use that to adjust by not using it, if I have ended up higher than planned by later in the day.
    good luck with getting started.

• posted by neohdiver
    on

Ditto, as to the calories given. I made the Chicken with Spicy Lentils today (followed the recipe exactly as written, for the first time). Total calories (for 2 servings, theoretically) 1088 calories – or 544 calories per serving. The book lists the calorie count as 470. Anything that uses “handsful” as a measure – or that says use one {insert vegetable or meat item here} is not going to be accurate as to calories because calories depend on the precise quantity.

I’m splitting it into 4 servings. My experience with this meal is that 1/3 to 1/4 is a generous amount.

If you are trying the diet because you are trying to replicate Dr. Taylor’s successful studies with the 800 calorie diet, it wold be worth your while to calculate everything. If you just generally want to lose weight – don’t worry about it. A few calories more or less won’t interfere with weight loss as long as you’re in the ballpark. A lot of people are successful in lowering BG and losing weight despite the imprecision in the book. My goals are slightly different (since I’ve already successfully controlled my BG for 6 months and lost 50 lbs). I am interested in pursuing remission. For that, I want to replicate the Taylor studies – which means I need precision.

Please log in or register to post a reply.