Jun-Jul 19 starters, support group

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Louiseroo remember when weighing that water weighs heavy and we are drinking loads of it! We don’t pee it all out in one go hun so some of your weight is there in that water. Also food takes a while to go through and out so weighing everyday could be what you have in your body. Can I ask did you work out your protein on your weight now or your ideal weight? If it is on your weight now you need to work it out on your ideal weight, JGwen has given how to do it lots and if you get on her profile and look at ‘replies created’ by her you will find it plus the water and food I mentioned above. You may just need to tweak things a little, you also need to remember that the recipes are out in the book by quite a bit hun, so when they say 5g total it can really be 10g carbs and the same with the calories and fat. Eating more high good fats could help too. I came out of ketosis today because of my naughty weekend and just by fasting since last night and testing again just an our ago I was back in! Although only just but I am in the right direction again. I have only been fasting since midnight last night as I stayed up too late and ate some pork scratchings😱 so 13 hours in and I am registering on my breathalyser🤗.

You are seeing results in clothes and rings so you are heading in the right direction. I went down to 14-8 last week and I am back up to 14-12! But that has been happening the last two weeks🤣🤣. We all stall and some do discard slowly but if al, your macros are good then have a look into what you are eating and change it up a bit. I know this probably isn’t the best advice but I wouldn’t worry as it will happen, I am sure it is just a little tweak that is needed. Hugs Birdy💞🦜

• posted by LouiseKangooroo
    on

Thanks Birdy 🙂
    Yes my proteins are based on goal weight. I don’t do any of the fast 800 book recipes, as an advanced cook, I don’t find them very excited. But I track and measure everything very religiously. That’s what weight watchers taught me 🤣🤣
    So I’m confident my macros are right. I do 16:8 most days. Maybe I need to try a proper fast 🤷‍♀️

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Ok so how long have you been on and how much have you lost so far? Sorry I could probably look all this up🙃. So I take your water is 3 litres a day and you are not having snacks between meals?

I have just downloaded happy scales! I am in love with it already🤣. All my progress in plain view🥰🥰

• posted by Baby Bumblebee
    on

Hi there,
    I would very much like to join this thread having just started today. I’ve been doing Team RH since September but had been doing veg juice fasts prior to that. I’m great when fasting but terrible when I’m not. I wanted to get into ‘normal’ eating patterns but found losing slowly very difficult. I’m really bad for comparing and get so demotivated when all I see is other people losing loads when I’m averaging 0.5lb a week. The final straw was putting on 6lb during my period but not losing it the following week, despite hitting all macros. It took me almost 3 months to lose that but others are losing it in 2 days.
    Anyway, I’m here after a recommendation from a friend at the weekend. Got the book yesterday and started today. I’m gonna try just eating between 1630-1830 as that fits best. So far, so good but it’s only been a few hours! 😀
    Good luck to everyone else and I’ve enjoyed reading your posts just now, it’s good to see successes but also makes me feel less alone to see others finding it hard. XXX

• posted by alliecat
    on

Good afternoon, everyone! I’m just popping in to see how you are all doing at the start of this week. I REALLY like the
    positive energy and the spirit of adventure that you have created on this newbie thread! I do see this thread “lasting”,
    and if you hang in together, the year will spin by, and then you will have the great pleasure of celebrating your 1st
    anniversary together! In the process, you will have made friends for life 🙂

Louise, this is probably heresey, but I also find MM’s book lacking in a number of ways, most significantly, his failure
    to be specific about carb levels. There are ALWAYS questions on this subject, and I don’t think enough attention has
    been paid to it. The book that set me on the right path, compatible with MM’s plan, is Gary Taubes “Why We Get Fat..
    and What To Do About It”. He covers insulin resistance in a very complete way, and it made my journey so much
    easier! The skies parted, the sun came out, and suddenly I understood it all. I started to look at food in a completely
    different way. I can’t recommend it enough, which I do every chance I get 🙂

Welcome to the community baby bumblebee! You are posting in the Fast800 section of the forum, though. This is
    800 cal. per day. If I read your post correctly, you have decided that 1630-1830 cal. per day is what suits you best?
    That’s at least twice as many calories, and I have concerns that you won’t experience the weight loss that you are
    anticipating, because it won’t put you into the calorie deficit each day that is necessary for weight loss. The calories
    you have outlined are more in line with maintenance, when you have already achieved your goals. Does this make
    sense? Wishing you best!

Allie

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Allie, I think the 1630 to 1830 is an eating window. I think it means 16:30 (half past 4) to 18:30 (half past 6) .

—————–

By the way did you get my email a few weeks ago?

on

Thanks for the welcome. Yes, I meant the window for me eating is 4.30pm – 6.30pm, I’m going with 800 cals. Looking forward to reading all the posts over the next wee while to (hopefully) keep me on track and motivated. xxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Heartfelt apologies, babybumblebee! Sometimes I can be a dunce! It never occurred to me that a newcomer would
    do TRE out of the gate, and be able to restrict to a 2 hr eating window 🙂 Good for you!!!

on

No need for apologies. 🙂 I should have written it more clearly. The biggest challenges for me are carbs and weekends. The time restriction is naturally what I tend to do on work days anyway, except I might have a banana mid morning but I’m happy to give that up now if I can get some decent losses. The weekends are when I would tend to graze all day on carb based foodstuffs and have calorific meals out, that will be the test! xxx

• posted by SarahlouH
    on

So pleased to come across this. Today is day one for me! I’d like to lose a stone by 7 September, no idea if this is achievable, but I’m feeling pretty determined to do so! Joined a morning boot camp 7 weeks ago and managed so far to lose 6lbs so I guess that’s a start! Really interested to read all your posts. Thank you!

on

Welcome baby bumblebee and Sarah Lou.
    Baby bumblebee, you’re very inspiring to got for 22:2 TRE, look at you go! Have you ever done fasting before? I only do 16:8 every day, might try and push myself for more.
    Sarah lou, a stone is about 10kg right? In 9 weeks, it’s probably doable, especially as there are good chances that you’ll lose a lot in you first 2 weeks.
    Allie, thanks for the book rec, I will def look it up. Might try and get it from the library. I’m not sure if I’m insulin resistant but I know that if I have a tiny bit of white carbs – even within the 20gr of carbs – I will feel starving the next day.

on

Just a quick hi to all other newbies to say that I am STARVING!! No idea where that hunger is coming from but I feel like nothing can tame it. 🙈😱

• posted by BillieAGA
    on

Morning LouiseK

Hang on in there! I know the feeling! 🙁 How about a hot drink or sparkling water? That’s my go-to as plain water just doesn’t do it sometimes. Or a distraction? That’s my other go-to; big glass of water/cup to tea and hope the hunger has gone away when I’m done. If I’m at work I’ll ask for a meeting with someone, at home I start doing something (not cooking!) that will take a while .. bit of gardening, spring cleaning cupboards. The other day I went through all my old towels and sheets and sent them to charities. Go back on your progress to date and tell yourself whatever you fancy is not worth it 🙂

on

It’s hard cause when I’m home I’m with little kids who are asking for food constantly 🤣🤣
    Well i had a snack of dark chocolate and I’m still under 800 cal and 20 carbs so should be alright?!

• posted by babyfawn
    on

Hey lovely humans! This seems like a really welcoming space so I’m joining in ^_^

Started on June 27, 6 days in and ohhh man, I’m feeling it now. I’m 21 and definitely within the normal weight range for my height, but I’m about 8 kilos over my ideal weight, both aesthetically and medically. Prior to starting this I could easily put away entire packets of pasta and would regularly binge on carbs each night after work. Thank god for my 21-year-old metabolism, but I know that will not last. So, tragically, me and refined carbs are consciously uncoupling 😉 I don’t want to have medical problems down the line, and I realise I can’t be complacent just because I’m young. In 20 years I know I will thank myself.

Since I’m young and have only a little to lose, I’m only doing 800cal/day for two weeks. I’m just about to hit halfway! IF 16:8 as well, which is easy for me because I’ve done it before. But I’m finding the calorie level really challenging at this point.. it is so low haha. How do you guys get through your tough moments?

I wonder how long it takes to stop craving refined carbs. I guess that’s like asking how long is a piece of string.

Trying to be patient; me and my body are going on this journey together and we have to look after one another. But it is excruciating eating so little! Can’t wait for this week to be over so I can move on to 5:2. Looking forward to going on the journey with you all and heaps of admiration to those of you who are doing 800/day for longer than me!

• posted by BritinHK
    on

Hi Everyone! This thread is certainly buzzing isn’t it?! So much support and motivation from everyone, it’s great!

Welcome to Baby Bumblebee, Sarahlou and Baby Fawn … great to have you joining us!

Louise ~ I hope you managed to get your hunger under control, sounds like a snack of good dark chocolate would do it! Easy for others to say, but don’t get worried about your loss this week … everyone’s bodies are different, and it takes time for them to adjust to a new WOE. Stay positive, keep doing the great job you’re doing, and I’m sure you’ll see a good result on the scales next time you weigh-in.

PurplePetunia ~ You gave me congrats for my fantastic weight loss this week … but it wasn’t me!Lol I think you mistook me for one of the others … New Day Rising, perhaps? 🙂 You mentioned yesterday that you maybe hadn’t been drinking enough water … I really struggle with that! I’ve never been a great water drinker, but I’m now consciously trying to drink more … and having way too many visits to the loo!

Jennie10 ~ You have done amazingly well! Like you, my heaviest weight was 15st, but I started off the BSD on Sunday at 14st10lbs, and I hope to eventually get down to 9st9lbs. So it’s great to see that you were successfully able to do what I need to do, and it fills me with so much motivation! You’re almost at maintenance again, how amazing that must feel! Well done you!

Baby Bumblebee ~ I’m be with you on the weekend challenges! It’s always my downfall! Let’s stick together with this and we’ll get through it! 🙂

Sarahlou ~ I’m sure you’ll get that stone off by 7 September, I’d say it’s definitely doable! Go for it!

alliecat ~ I agree about this thread! So many enthusiastic, motivated people, and lots of support … I can definitely see it lasting! The Gary Taubes book sounds very interesting, I think I’ll look into that too.

Thankfully, the rain/thunderstorm kept off this morning so my Aqua Fit class went ahead … feeling a bit wobbly in the legs now, and I definitely worked lots of muscles that haven’t haven’t seen much action in quite some time! Our instructor is away next week, so I’ll have to do something else … maybe I’ll finally dust off my exercise bike that has been standing in the corner of my bedroom for a VERY long time without ever having been used! Too embarrassed to say how long I’ve had, but I definitely think it’s time I gave it spin!

Have a good day everyone!

• posted by BillieAGA
    on

Hey LouiseK
    Not an expert and I’ve not tried it but in theory yes! and if that is the worst you did, still very healthy and restrained 🙂

• posted by PurplePetunia
    on

Hi Britin. Sorry if I gave the wrong person congrats on weight loss but I’m sure you deserve a pat on the back too! We all need encouragement everyday, as we will have easier days and not so easy days, but nothing worth having is easy to get. So we must keep our focus on the positives and leave the negatives behind! One day at a time and we will all achieve our goal!

Purple Petunia

on

Hi babyfawn. I am a newbie here as well, so still learning although I’ve been on some sort of diet all the time, I am most encouraged with this one. It is not only healthy but results are quicker. I think our main focus should be focusing on non processed food, eating lots of vegetables cooked in various ways, (they fill you up and stay with you longer) making sure to get our recommended protein in as well each day. I am learning to substitute food items. Also I am trying to use the recipes I have always used but only using the allowable foods. My Doctor has highly recommended the Mediterranean diet, and from what I read, they use fruit as their desert. Of course everything has sugar, even fruit so moderation is also key. I’ve always been a heavy bread lover, but I find that each day I am doing this diet it is easier to not crave these carbs. Drinking lots of water, or non calorie non sugar drinks (water is the best of course)
    also helps a lot, sometimes our mind thinks we are hungry when in fact we are dehydrated and it is asking for more water. I try to get in a minimum of 8 glasses of water daily along with other fluids, tea, water, coffee and such. So as an example; today I am making a turkey chilli (ground turkey) with all the ingredients I normally use minus the kidney beans (high carb) and instead add other allowable items, mushrooms, onions, lots of diced tomatoes and a chilli sauce pak. I am sure a person could add other vegetables to your own choice. Just a few thouights, I hope this helps, plus I am sure you can increase your calories as long as you are eating appropriate foods. One day at a time…… we are all learning…

Purple Petunia

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Babyfawn: as an older woman, who weighed 47kgs at your age (21), I don’t understand what you mean by “definitely within the normal weight range for my height, but I’m about 8 kilos over my ideal weight, both aesthetically and medically”. Aesthetics (whatever that means at any given time) don’t really equate to what might be “medically” advisable. And you say you are in a “normal weight range” – which is great! I think it’s really good that you are recognising now that your body (still growing!) does much better on good fresh food. But my own view is that you should focus on your future overall health, with the benefit of your 21 year old metabolism, and not get hung up on two or whatever weeks of 800. Just eat well and enjoy your young years! With low impact exercise to build up bones against osteoporosis!!

• posted by wendleg
    on

I’m with 6T on this baby fawn ! Concentrate on eating healthily …yes, indeed get rid of the junky processed foods and if you are anything like my boys they could really pack away the carbage !! I am a bit concerned about your focusing on an ‘ideal weight’ if you are already within the normal weight for your height ? Confused dot com !

8 kilos seems a massive discard to reach your ‘ideal weight’ and which forgive me for saying, seems a bit excessive ? Why do you then say you only have a litle weight to lose ? Why restrict to 800 cals ? Maybe the 5.2 would be more realistic ? I am not sure it is necessary to go down as low as 800 when you have no serious health /weight issues ….

Babyfawn I would say cut out the rubbish but eat good healthy foods …oily fish, healthy fats, avocados, olive oïl, nuts lots of veg , nothing low fat and ‘sugar free with additives, yuk …a few grains and fruit as in the Mediterranean Diet ?? Focus on a healthy approach to food and don’t get fixated on the ‘aesthetics’ .Who is judging ??

Blimey I am doing my clucking hen rendition again…it’s like I am talking to one of my sons !!
    6T I have never ever in my life weighed 47 kilos ….one of my thighs has probably reached that hefty number though 😉 Only joking !!

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Wendleg, it’s true, at 21 I was 47 kgs. Then stretched to 86kgs at 57… How we are so expandable?? Now less, but I am defo not chasing 47 kgs …

• posted by wendleg
    on

That’s teeny tiny , 6T . I stretched to over 100kg ….much less now also but …. focusing on a healthy weight. We deserve it !

• posted by Kafin13
    on

I’m going to start following this thread as well since I’m on a long stall so it feels like I just started! Louisekangaroo – I felt the same about MM, quite angry with him to be honest but I read Gary Taubes book like Allie suggested and have just about finished The Obesity Code and I think these are very helpful in understanding how it all works. There is a lot more science involved which I like so maybe it will help you too? Baby Fawn – I’m also a little confused about your post and if you’re within the healthy weight range I would just suggest sticking with the principles of this way of eating as they’re excellent guidelines for a healthy life and would start you off on the right track since you’re so young. I’m 46 and what I wouldn’t have given to have started this WOE at 21! I think it’s great that you’re so aware, just be gentle on yourself. If you think you have 8kg to lose, you can still do it on 5:2 – I think many of us would love to have so little to lose!

• posted by Baxter
    on

I’ve also found Gary Taubes book “Why we get fat and what to do about it” really helpful, to understand the importance of controlling carbs with less emphasis on the number of calories. It also inspired my husband to join me, as he’s into the science of things. I never thought he’d cut carbs – in 37 years I couldn’t remember him having a carb free meal. In just under 5 weeks he’s lost 20 lbs and has had to buy new trousers. He hadn’t given up cereal for breakfast, but 2 out of 3 meals with no potatoes, bread, pasta or sweeties is a huge improvement, even though he won’t be in ketosis.

on

Good evening all. Thank you for the welcome and hello to my fellow newbs. Day 2 was fine, I ended up inadvertently doing a 24 hour fast as my chicken wasn’t fully defrosted when I got in. I didn’t eat very mindfully this evening!
    Please forgive me if I get names mixed up when replying, by the time I’ve read everything I’ve forgotten who commented on what. LouiseKanga I’ve done veg juice fasting, usually a month at a time so I’m used to the hunger. Hopefully this way will help the weight stay off though.
    Like I said, weekdays are fairly easy but I know the weekend will be much tougher. Brit- please keep me motivated! 😀
    Good luck to everyone for tomorrow, just keep swimming…

on

Thank you for your input Baxter, I am going to look for his book. I hope I can find a new way of eating for my husband so that he can lose some weight. He is a real carb person, potatoes (most especially_ potato chips, cereal. bread etc. But maybe if he does what your husband did it will work for him. It’s worth a try.!

• posted by Baxter
    on

Hi Purple, sounds like our chaps had very similar food tastes, ie carbs, carbs and a few more carbs! It was definitely the science that convinced Mr B. I’d also read a Jason Fung’s The Obesity Code, but I haven’t got him to read that one, as I thought the mention of fasting would switch him off before he even started 😂. I’m going to have a go at a couple of fasts next week as he’s away then. Maybe a 24 hour, then a couple of days later a 36 hours one. What do the more experienced people think? I want to try to build them in regularly as I want to minimise the loose skin as much as possible when I get down 100+ lbs.

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Baxter – maybe you and I can do a 24 hr fast together next week and support each other? Right now I think that’s the most I can do but would be nice to do it with someone else (and anyone else that wants to join in) and might give me the impetus to try a bit longer 🤞😃

on

Hello fellow newbies!
    Today I’m atempting a 24hrs fast after listening to a great podcast with Dr Jason Fung. If you’re interested the podcast is called “The Keto Diet Podcast” and episodes #3, #4 and #7 are particularly good.
    I’ll talk to you later today. Im at 19hrs fast so far and going good. I’m a little worried about commuting on my bike while fasting but I’ll be right.
    Speak later.
    Louise

• posted by BritinHK
    on

Hi Everyone, and welcome to all the new posters on the thread!

I’m now into day 4 and very pleased to say that things are still going well on the plan! My Fast800 recipe book arrived today (I already have the 8 week BSD), and also the clever guts diet recipe book, which I know isn’t based on weight loss, but it’s still based on the med-style, and I’m quite happy to work the cals/carbs/etc. out myself. I do cook a lot, and love adapting recipes, but I like to have different ideas for meals. So I’m looking forward to trying out new things.

As far as the exercise is going, I got up this morning, after Aqua Fit yesterday, and feel like I’ve been kicked by a horse! Aching muscles where I never knew I had them! I think I really need to get back into Pilates again … I did it for a couple of years and, even though I was overweight and unfit at the time, it really made a difference with my stiffness/flexibility. I went from beginner stage to intermediate (didn’t quite make the advanced level!Lol) and was amazed at how I improved over the months. Sadly, my instructor moved away … I’d been having private classes, just myself and one other lady, as I hate the idea of large classes full of slim, fit women. That was about 18 months ago, and since then I’ve done nothing. Isn’t there a saying something like, ‘move it or you lose it’? Well, that’s certainly the case with me! Things that I was able to do 18 months ago, I can’t do anymore as I’m so stiff and inflexible … it’s like my body has locked! I’m so annoyed with myself! Anyway, it looks like I’m back to square one as far as that’s concerned. It’s quite embarrassing when you can’t do things, but thankfully in the Aqua Fit class there are some lovely ladies who are at the same level as me right now, so I don’t feel quite so bad!

Baby Fawn ~ I would just like to reiterate what others have said. As a 21 year old myself, weighing around 48/49kgs, and still thinking I was overweight, I would give anything to be back like that now! You say you are in the normal weight range, so I really don’t see why you feel the need to go on 800cals a day plan. I think this is a great plan for those of us who have lots to lose, or who are pre-diabetic, or already diabetic, as it will kick-start things for us, hopefully with fast weight losses in the first weeks. But really, at your age, you could easily lose a few pounds just by eating the right foods, and cutting out any processed stuff. And you’re young enough to train yourself to do that, so when you are older you won’t be at the stage that many of us find ourselves in now, in our 40s/50s. When I was in my 20s, and ‘dieting’, I had no real idea of what foods were really good for me, as in those days we were fed (no pun intended!) the wrong information. I ended up still eating pasta, potatoes, bread, etc., and now I’ve ended up where I am today. But you can draw on the knowledge that’s out there now, and lead a healthy lifestyle, without having to go very low calorie. Just stick to a healthy Med-style diet, and don’t let yourself get hungry!

Have a good day on plan everyone!

• posted by Baxter
    on

Hi Kafin, yes I’d love to be fasting buddies (and as you say, anyone else who would like to join in). It will be a bit like a relay given our time differences 😁. Shall we do Monday?

• posted by babyfawn
    on

Oh my gosh thank you all for such lovely and wise advice! Sorry that my post was confusing 🙁 When I said “aesthetically” I mean my body (and face, big time) looks so much better about 8 kilos less than I was when I started Fast800 (I’ve lost 4 by now). I am definitely one of those people whose looks are strongly influenced by only a few kilos. And by “medically”, I mean I’m carrying an unusual amount of abdominal fat for my weight which should probably go. I have been eating junk and binging on pasta, which is where the weight came from, so I know that it’s not healthy weight.

I think I’m just being young, dumb and impatient. I wanted to smash out the initial weight loss for a couple weeks and then move to 5:2 because quick results really help me to stay on track. In the past I lost 12 kilos slowly over a long period of time, and it just drove me insane, eventually I couldn’t stand it anymore and gave up. Also the book seems to imply that greater initial weight loss is correlated with long-term maintenance of the lower weight. So that’s why I chose to do a few weeks of 800 cals.

But with all this reinforcement from you guys I will definitely be switching out to 5:2 style soon 🙂 Thank you all for being so gentle and supportive haha!

• posted by babyfawn
    on

Wendleg, I really appreciate your words. I think I must be like your boys.. I can defeat entire packets of pasta and still feel ready for more carbage lol.
    Who’s judging? Myself, mostly. My harshest critic 😉 Must be my twenties – stupid body image stuff that I’ll one day realise never mattered. I’m really grateful for the perspective you guys have given me!

• posted by BillieAGA
    on

Hello from a sunny UK – summer has finally come! 🙂
    Does anyone sleep more on Fast800? I kept my routines pretty much the same (work, social and training regime) as before going on Fast800 (can’t quite muster enough energy to do my normal morning HIIT cardio yet). I just seem to get much more tired earlier in the evening, go to bed earlier and still sleep through to my normal alarm. Probably sleeping another hour or two. Does anyone recognise it? Is it a passing phase (halfway through week 2)?

on

Billie, I felt and still feel the same, I’m going to bed much earlier these days. Although I don’t sleep in any longer.
    I feel I have more energy during the day, I don’t have those highs and lows anymore which is awesome.
    My first 24 hours fast went really well. I broke the fast with a roasted garlic butter Salmon and cauliflower. So tasty, and the meal was a massive 650 kcal
    Ooooops 😅

• posted by babyfawn
    on

Billie, huge yes to the sleeping more. At first I thought it was fatigue because I was eating so little, but actually as time has gone on it feels like the diet has possibly balanced some of my sleep hormones. I get tired around the same time every night and find I have no desire to stay up late, whereas before (also while eating lots of carbs) my sleep schedule was all over the place. Eating heaps of sugar late at night like a lot of people (including old me) do for “dinner” is probably awful for the body. I’m grateful for the change!

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi PurplePetunia,
    I thought I’d just mention what happened with my husband. When I first started BSD in 2016 my husband was lovely and supportive but there was no way he was going to try it for himself, even though he was carrying a lot of extra weight. Like Baxter’s OH, I can’t remember him not having carbs – and the idea of him giving up bread, toast … never!
    But last year when I started the BSD 800 calories again to lose the weight I’d regained, he suddenly decided to do it, too. I was surprised but delighted. He said it was because he’d seen what it had done for me (normal bgls, improved cholesterol, improved BP – he has been on BP medication for years) etc. He’s lost over 3 stone (rather irritatingly he lost more and quicker than me!).

So you never know, even if your husband isn’t interested to begin with, he might just come round later.

Jennie xx
    Of course, really, secretly, I also think my OH might have been just a little bit piqued that I could suddenly walk faster and longer than he could when we went for walks (He’s been a life-long walker, me not so much). You’ve got to smile.

• posted by alliecat
    on

What a great story, Jennie! Men are from Mars 🙂 When I began this lifestyle in June of 2016, my husband had just been
    diagnosed with stage 3 congestive heart failure (there are only 4!). He was told to lose 50lbs. I got busy with my own
    research, and decided on the BSD. He gave up all of the bad stuff right along with me. However, his only refusal came
    in the form of cold breakfast cereal, which he hasn’t given up to this day! That starts his day off with 25g of carbs, more
    than I would ever consume in one day. Perhaps a bit of passive aggressive behavior? I’ve given up on it, because he simply
    cannot be told what to do, like a teenage boy 🙂 🙂 🙂

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi Baxter! I sat up and took notice when you posted a desire to lose 100+lbs, ideally 140lbs. I began this WOE in 2016,
    and that was my magic number, too!!! Within 10 months I rid myself of 140lbs, and a strict version of the Fast800 got me
    there. The BSD was my salvation, and it can be yours too 🙂 One of the bonuses in having a lot to lose is by the end of
    your journey, tastes change dramatically, and you won’t even consider eating the bad stuff ever again!!! Do it one day
    at a time, and you can achieve it all. VERY best to you!

Allie

on

Hi Allie. Congrats on your successful weight loss! I guess I need to get more strict if I want to follow that path! I’ve only just started 4 days ago and have lost 4 lbs, which is a good start. I need to incorporate the exercise now, I have a elliptical trainer at home so I will start with that. Anything is better than nothing at all, however I have been doing housework stuff and it helps but it’s not enough.
    At one point in my life a few years ago, I was at 265 lbs. (ugh!) but since then with yoyo dieting and exercising, mostly weight watchers, I have managed to get down to 183 lbs. However at Christmas time I was at 169 lbs. grr darn temptations everywhere! I will have to plan that one differently this year! I definetley need to sit down and plan a daily menu, and do prep. which is also key. It’s so good to have this forum to give each other support and suggestions. It’s a life long battle for sure, and I personally believe I need to weigh myself everyday, to keep on top of things, eventhough I realize our body weight can fluctuate for various reasons. Now I am trying to concentrate to getting the necessary water/fluids in daily, even if I am constantly running to the bathroom! It is cleansing our bodies!
    Have a great day everyone!

Purple Petunia

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Hi Baxter! Yes Monday sounds great – I saw Merry wanting to do one too so with the three of us in the UK, US and Oz, we pretty much cover all the zones! I think Merry suggested stopping eating after Sunday dinner? I’ll head over to the Fasting thread and post so we’re all in sync 😁

• posted by Baxter
    on

Hi Allie, thank you so much for your kind welcome and words of encouragement. About 15 years ago I lost almost as much (I had a slightly lower starting weight) but it was using shakes and sachets. It took 10 months, but when I got to my goal, I lost the plot. I think I was also a bit scared by being slim as I never had been the “right” weight in my life before. I loved being slim with all the good things that came with it, but I think there was an element of being big = safer. I’m hoping by going a bit slower this time, and eating as I go downwards, that my head will keep up with my body and I’ll have learned a whole load of useful lessons and strategies along the way. I know it’s very early days yet, but controlling the carbs feels much more doable than counting calories for ever. The fact that you have lost the weight and maintained, is a wonderful inspiration for me. Thank you for staying on the forum and helping those following behind you. Bx

on

My scales show a 800gr discard this morning after my fast 😳
    Very surprised as I still ate 800 kcal at the end of my fast.
    I would love to do another one next week, starting after Tuesday or Wednesday night dinner – can’t do the one after Sunday night dinner so offering another option if someone wants to join!

• posted by Kafin13
    on

I totally get what you mean, Baxter about losing the plot – I’ve lost weight before (not this way, far more extreme and of course it didn’t stick) and loved being slim, couldn’t stop looking at myself and trying clothes on! But it’s almost like it took all my effort to do that and then I didn’t know how to properly maintain so it all came back on. I’m with you, I want to lose it and then really put my focus on the maintenance as I think that’s actually the hardest part – you’re making up your mind to embrace this as your new lifestyle and it’s going to be ongoing. That’s why I have such huge admiration for Allie – plus I absolutely adore her, she “gets” me 💕

• posted by BritinHK
    on

Louise ~ well done with your 24hr fast. I admire anyone who can do it, but I don’t think I’d be able to manage quite that long without succumbing to the hunger pangs and going overboard! I did manage 19 hours though yesterday, which was pretty good going for me!

Billie ~ I’ve definitely been sleeping more … not better, but more! I’ve been feeling a bit tired during the afternoons, before I have my main meal. Still going to bed at the same time, but having difficulty waking up, and sleeping in much later than I normally would … just as well I no longer have to get up for work!

Baxter and Kafin ~ I know exactly what you mean about losing the plot … over the years, all the attempts that I’ve had to lose weight, and almost getting to target, but never quite making it … because I’ve lost the plot! Years ago, no one ever seemed to explain, or give advice, about how to handle the weight loss, especially as you got closer to target. It was more about simply getting the weight off then you were on your own. It’s such a long process for many of us, and it’s so easy to lose motivation when things slow down. And, instead of then starting to think about how to maintain what you’ve already lost, it’s all too easy to ‘lose the plot’. This time, I’m feeling a bit more confident, with the support of this forum, and advice given by MM on moving on from Fast 800, to 5:2, then onto maintaining with a healthy Med-style diet, I’m hoping that I can reach my goal and then continue for life.

Today is my 5th day and I’m thinking of weighing in tomorrow, but getting a bit scared! I’ve done everything by the book, averaging 800 cals a day … sometimes 750, sometimes 850, but pretty much on plan. I’ve struggled with the water intake, although I am drinking MUCH more than I would normally, so that’s got to be good. But I don’t actually FEEL like I’ve lost any weight 🙁 In fact, I feel rather bloated. This may be a bit too much info, but I regularly have problems with constipation, and I know that this can be made worse by not drinking enough water, or not be active enough. I have definitely improved in both of those areas recently, so I hope I’m not going to be disappointed when I do hop on the scales …

on

I’m off to see a hypnotherapist for weight loss/management
    Never been so that should be interesting! Made the appointment before starting on this new way of eating now I don’t feel like I need any help with impulses 💪

on

Britin, how much do you drink on average? I’d be surprised if you haven’t lost anything after 5 days but I guess you know your body better.
    Im starting to have some constipation issues too, so will need to search the forum for some way out on this diet. I think too much proteins is not helping in my case.
    If you don’t see any changes to the scales tomorrow, I’m sure you will in a couple of days. Up your water, drink again and drink some more 🙂
    Have you tried adding some mint or lemon to your water?

• posted by BritinHK
    on

Louise ~ before Fast800, I’d rarely get through 1/2lt a day (plus tea/coffee)😕 but since I’ve been doing this, I’ve been filling a 2lt jug with water and putting it in the fridge, so I’ve tried to force myself to get through it all! I’ve still had the odd herbal tea as well, but sometimes on busy days I still don’t manage to drink the whole jug … maybe 2/3 of it🙄. I know I need to improve on this! I do also add things to it to make it more palatable, such as mint, cucumber, lemon, or strawberries … anything rather than boring old water! Anyway, I’m off to bed bed now, and I think I’ll take a laxative tonight and see what the scales say tomorrow!😁

on

Sounds like you’ve got this Britin, and you have a good plan. And FWIW I drink 3L of water per day and still suffering constipation atm.
    I also exercise every day. I think I might need to add fiber through a supplement.
    Good luck with your weigh in 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.