Jun-Jul 19 starters, support group

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by LouiseKangooroo
    on

Hey all

I have just started on the fast 800, it’s been 10 days on the program, and I’d love to create a support group with people at the same stage.

It would be great to chat, exchange stats and progress, share struggles woes, swap recipes, etc.

Anyone interested to join me in that journey?

• posted by BillieAGA
    on

Hi LouiseKangooroo

So glad I found this thread. I started Monday (24 June) and could definitely do with some support.

I tried 5:2 in the past which did work (and loads of other diets that did not) but found the low calorie fast days tough and the weight loss slow. I have polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) and diabetes in the family so may be insulin resistant, so find I only lose max 1kg a month on other healthy diets. With 15-20kg to lose I’m really hoping Fast800 will at least kick start some weight loss, or it will take me the better part of 2 years to get there.

How are you doing? I’ve lost 2.9kg which is encouraging but it was after an overindulgent weekend and know you lose a lot of water the first couple of weeks so not ‘real’ weight. Hoping to stabilise next week and get into a steady weight loss.

Are you finding you are still hungry? I am not surprised that I’m hungry in the morning but it stays during the day, even after breakfast and lunch (I eat 3 small meals). After dinner I’m mostly OK.

Planning my first weekend on Fast800 with military precision – meal plans and staying busy with friends – so I wont get tempted to waver!

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Hi guys I hope you don’t mind me popping on heat as of course I am no longer a newbie like you but I have only been at it for 12-13 wks! I would like to pass on a little advice and ask a few questions. First of all yes we do discard a lot of water at the beginning, but I wouldn’t say that it is not a real discard as my initial water weight discard has never gone back on, like it had on all the other diets I have done! So it is a real discard, be happy and embrace it as it will give the encouragement you need. Billie you say you are hungry in the mornings and it goes on all day long! May I ask if you are still eating things like porridge, cereal or any other processed carbs? If you are not then how many grams of carbs are you consuming a day? Most of us are on 20g or lower of veg carbs but some are above up to 50g a day. You need to find what is right for you. But I would start by getting rid of all processed carbs and see how you get on. It is the carbs that make us hungry and when you really get into this Way Of Eating you will notice your hunger disappears along with the carbs. You need to drink at least 2-3 litres of water each day, this is key! You also need to replace the electrolytes that you flush out, this can be helped by dipping your finger in the maldon sea salt pot a couple of times a day or drinking SP sparkling water as it has sodium in it. It will also help with the fake hunger pangs and any headaches you may encounter. Again I hope you don’t mind me jumping Lkangaroo and I think this is a lovely way to encourage new people to join us. I know there are a lot of shy people lurking and reading and it would be great to here from them. Have a great day guys Birdy💞🦜

on

Hi Billie and Birdie!
    Nice to have you join my thread 🙂 Thanks for the tips Birdie, and I agree, the first quick kg to go might be water related and fast to discard but they shouldn’t come back if we don’t carb load again.
    As for myself Billie, I am trying to eat maximum of 20gr carbs per day to make sure that I am in mild ketosis. I have a metallic taste in my mouth and don’t feel hunger or tiredness so I’m thinking I’m there 🙂
    Maybe have a look at how much carbs and proteins you’re eating Billie?
    I too have 15-20kg to lose. It’s been next to 2 weeks on the fast 800 and I have lost 5kg so far. Very pleased with the progress!
    Speak soon
    Louise

• posted by BillieAGA
    on

Hi Birdy76
    Don’t mind at all and welcome all pointers and suggestions. I am eating overnight oats for breakfast (in the Fast800 recipes book), but no processed food. I’m sure I will get used to it and suspecting some is just a different kind of eating (I used to be a snacker).

Thanks for your water weight comment, I didn’t know that! Even more encouraged by my discard (even learning the lingo!). 🙂

I’ve always drunk a lot of water (about 2l) and have noticed I’m drinking even more (2-3l) but don’t typically use salt in my cooking or add it on foods so that’s another good tip. Thanks.

May I ask – have you stayed on 800 throughout or do you have days/weeks when you increase the calories? I have a family holiday in 2 weeks time so was thinking about increasing the calories so I can eat more easily with the family and also want a few treats (planned so I don’t go off the rails) as it’s holiday. Planning to go straight back on 800. – Billie

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Hi Billie I am afraid to say that you are a little like me and the oats are your hunger trigger😢. If I eat porridge or over night oats I am so so hungry and that happens within 30 mins of eating them and then I am hungry all day. I gave them up and now if I have breakfast which is very very rare I have a protein one. Like an omelette or bacon sausage and black pudding with fried egg and mushrooms, this keeps me full all day! I have stuck to it but in the beginning I did make some rookie mistakes as we all do but as the weeks have gone on I have found it easier and easier to do. It is second nature to me. I still have the odd drink at the weekends but I find now that I don’t actually want to eat the bad things and the treats as my taste buds have changed completely and they changed about a month after I started. The problem with even good carbs like oats they feed a certain bacteria in our guts that can actually send signals to the brain to make you crave more! I know it sounds crazy but it is very very real hun. In the beginning they will be working overtime and will be screaming at your brain to nourish them with carbage, but if we get the carbs gone they will soon die off and the cravings will stop. I don’t know what your schedule is like but if you can get rid of the oats and for a cooked breakfast if you have the time. I promise you it will work. This WOE is low carb, moderate protein and high in good fats. My macros are 20gcarb(from veg and some berries) 45-50g protein and 60-70g good fats and this works for me. I have discarded over 3 stone in just 13 weeks. This may not work for you but that is the good thing about this diet, it is easily tweaked to your individual needs and body. Glad you are getting the lingo🤣🥰. As for your holiday don’t worry too much about it, relax and enjoy hun. You already know that carbs are bad so you can keep them to a minimum whilst on holiday, you will see a rise in weight but that will be largely water retention as that is what carbs do. When you get home you can get back on it and you will see that it goes again. You will be nearly three weeks in by the time you go and I am sure you will know by then what works and what doesn’t work for you,. Your tastebuds may well have changed to by then! It is that quick on this Woe😁. All the best and we are here if you need anything, no question is a silly one.❤️

Thank you louise and very happy to help🤗. Birdy💞🦜

• posted by alliecat
    on

Welcome to the community, ladies! I hope this will be a new and exciting adventure for all of you 🙂

Billie, I’ve been on these forums for several years, and have known some extraordinary successes for people suffering
    from PCOS. I would agree, you are probably insulin resistant already, for it seems to go with the territory. Esnecca
    isn’t posting at the moment, but she was able to lose 200lbs in 14 months. The secret for all of us who are insulin
    resistant is to pull your carbs down low, <20g a day. Her “replies created” are really worth reading for inspiration.
    I would suggest typing “PCOS” in the search box, and you will find lots of useful information available there, too.
    Good luck!
    Allie

• posted by BillieAGA
    on

Thank you so much alliecat and Birdy76 – such helpful advice, and to LouiseKangooroo for starting the thread!

Hope you have an amazing weekend and hope to chat soon.

on

Hey Billie, I have a family holiday too in about 6 weeks. We’re going to Bali!!! 🏝🌋☀️☀️
    I can’t wait!
    Regarding the fast 800, I will see how I feel while on holiday. I’m pretty sure I’ll have some beers (= liquid toast so not so great carb wise) and maybe some of the delicious tropical food. I might avoid all the rest of white carbs, rice and noodles and focus on protein and fat.
    But as I said, I’ll reassess right before the holiday. I’m sure I’ll gain a couple of kilos from water but I also know that they’ll be gone the following week once I’m back on track. So no big deal!! 😊
    Have a nice wkd. Im looking at the sun rise as i type this and can’t wait to enjoy this day with the family.

• posted by SLB
    on

Hi! I started on Tues 25 June and loving not feeling hungry all the time! I have scrambled or hard boiled eggs with avocado for breakfast, salad with tuna or chicken for lunch and curry or chilli or stirfry with cauliflower rice for dinner. I’m interested in how everyone tracks their nutrients…. Ive been using my fitness pal basic (free!) app, but is it worth upgrading to premium? I’d love to hear your thoughts thanks in advance 😀

on

Welcome SLB!! Great to see quite a few newbies 🙂
    In terms of tracking, I use EasyDietDiary. It’s an awesome app, very complete and you can even scan your food. It works very well in Australia but I’m not sure if their database is catered to other countries. Might be worth a try. All free.
    Actually that is something that I need to pay attention too. I’m always under 800 kcal and 20gr carbs but I usually have way too many proteins. Need to refine my recipes to include more fat. yum!

• posted by SLB
    on

Thanks for the easydietdiary tip LouiseKangooroo, will give it a go!!

• posted by Baxter
    on

Good morning LK, Billie, Birdy and Allie
    Please can I sneak in here? I started on 30th May so almost in June 😁
    This is my second go at BSD. My cousin told me about it nearly 3 years ago, and the following week my best friend was diagnosed with T2, so we decided to be diet buddies. I came and lurked on the forum and in 5 months I lost 3 stone. My friend lost about the same, and reversed her diabetes. Life then changed as I had to spend a lot of time away from home over the next two years caring for two elderly relatives and I put the weight back on.
    I’ve learned a lot more about carbs in that time, and discovered the DietDoctor website. I’ve got an app on my phone to log everything I eat, and I am aiming for 20-25g of carbs, 60-70g protein and the rest fats to bring me up to between 800-1000 calories a day. Since the end of May I’ve lost 16lbs so I’m really pleased with that.
    Also my husband has joined me in being mostly low carb, so Birdy take heart. In 35 years I’d not known him have a meal without carbs, let alone a day. Now he’s swapped his lunchtime sandwiches for ham and cheese with coleslaw, and out have gone the carbs with his dinners and cauliflower rice has come in instead. The only carbs he won’t give up are breakfast cereal. I know that means he won’t be in ketosis but he’s lost over a stone, and I’d rather he’s 2/3 carb free than 100% carbs.
    This morning I’m off for a treat to celebrate my discarded first stone – I’m having a pedicure and manicure, by this afternoon I shall be Baxter Sparkling Toes 😁
    Sorry this was so long, but I feel like I already know you all as I’ve been reading you for the last month. Have a good day everyone, and those in Europe, keep cool x

• posted by BritinHK
    on

Hi! I’m just about to start on the Fast 800 and would love to join you all. I downloaded the book to my kindle last week, and have ordered the recipe book, which should arrive in a few days. I already have the 8-week BSD recipe book, which seems along the same lines of low carb/Med-style/800 cals, so I’m planning to use both books. I love to cook, so I’m looking forward to trying out some of these new recipes. We already eat a similar Med-style diet, but our portion sizes are way out of control! Oh, and the wine doesn’t help either! I’m spending this weekend to get my head around it all, plan my menus starting from Monday, and shop for anything I need! I need to lose around 55lbs/25kgs, so I’m going to be at it for some time! I’m obviously very overweight … it’s mostly all around my middle – danger zone! … my blood pressure is creeping up, my joints are all achey … basically, I’m a prime candidate for diabetes, and no doubt numerous other nasty diseases! So, it really is time to get serious and do something about it, before it’s too late! My husband already has type 2 diabetes, he has never been overweight, always kept himself fit with lots of sports, so it was a real shock when he started to feel unwell and had a check-up, only to discover he was diabetic! So, it’s going to help him too! I know it’s going to be tough to get started, but I really need to do this! Any help, support and encouragement that anyone can offer along the way will be very much appreciated!

on

Welcome BritinHK!
    The fast 800 is basically the same book than the BSD with the added TRE (Time Restricted Eating). You start with 12:12 so 12 hrs of fasting and 12 hours of eating. Over months you could try and increase this to 16:8. I manage a 16 hours fast regularly by just skipping breakfast.
    And once you cut out carbs, cutting out breakfast is easy as you aren’t really hungry 😁

• posted by BritinHK
    on

Thanks for the welcome, LouiseKangooroo!
    I thought they were pretty much the same, so the recipes in both books would be interchangeable, which gives more choice. I did wonder about the TRE, and whether people generally just don’t have breakfast, and stick to lunch and dinner instead. Otherwise, I guess it would mean having a very late breakfast, and squeezing 3 meals in a shorter window! I think I could manage without breakfast, as I tend not to eat it early anyway … it’s more of a brunch, by the time I get around to it!

• posted by Baxter
    on

Good afternoon everyone
    I started BSD/low carb on 30th May so I hope you’ll let me sneak into this group 😁
    This is my second time of doing BSD, the first was 3 years ago when someone mentioned about Dr MM’s TV programme. The timing was great as the following week my best friend was diagnosed with T2. We decided to be diet buddies, strapped on our Fitbits and stepped out to try and reverse her diabetes. After 5 months I had lost 3 stone and her HbA1c was back in the non diabetic range. Then I had to be away from home a lot, and I quickly went back to heavy carbs and comfort eating, and the weight went back on.
    The day after my birthday I decided that BSD was my best hope – I’ve got a lot to lose, but fortunately though post menopause I am healthy and meds free, but I could see this not lasting. Since then I’ve tracked everything I’ve eaten on an app, aiming for 20-25g carbs, 60-70g protein and the rest fats to get to 800-1000 cals per day. And I’ve lost 16.5 lbs. I’ve also lurked on the forum and feel I know you all, so I decided it was time to come out of the shadows and say hello.
    Hope all of you in Europe are managing to find a cool patch this weekend xxx

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi BritinHK – yes, I think a lot of people do 2 meals a day. I originally did the BSD in 2016 and I skipped breakfast from fairly early on, not so much for the benefits of TRE, which weren’t talked about quite so much then, but basically I found it better and more sustainable to split the 800 calories between 2 meals a day rather than 3.

When I started I had 70lbs + to lose, and as well as weighing and tracking my daily food intake (which was essential for me in terms of getting portions right!), one of my main tips would be to ignore the big target and set yourself small, easily achievable targets along the way – meeting these I found kept me buoyed up as I went along.

Also, some of the recipes in the back of the original BSD book (not sure about the recipe book, I’ve never had that) are a bit out in terms of the calorie counts (lower in book than in reality) and there is no carb count – lots of people use MyFitnessPal or fatsecret.co.uk to calculate daily cals and carbs.

I also wanted to say about your husband’s Type II diabetes – BSD is great for people with Type II diabetes – there are a lot of us on here past and present who have put our Type II into remission. What I would add though is for best results your OH needs to keep his carbs low – don’t know about in the latest book, but in the original 8 week Blood Sugar Diet book MM doesn’t really focus as much on carbs as perhaps he should have – and as people with Type II on this forum always have! My hba1c numbers were very high on diagnosis so I chose to keep to 20g carbs a day from the off, but others have kept to a higher number e.g. 50g carbs a day and it’s still worked. The only other thing for your OH is to be aware that blood sugar levels come down fairly quickly – within weeks – so if he’s on meds they may need adjusting at some point.

Putting any small negatives aside, this really is a great way of eating to lose weight, increase health and well-being – and to be able to fit into the clothes and shoes you want to wear, not those that you have to wear!! Go well everyone.

Jennie xx

Edited Hi Baxter and welcome – 16.5 lbs, that’s a great weight loss. xx

• posted by PurplePetunia
    on

Hi there everyone! I am going to start my journey on the 8 week Blood sugar diet, 800 calories per day, today. I have done weight watchers off and on throughout the years and it just does not work for me! It only works for a little while, then because you can basically eat what you want as long as you count the points, I end up eating more of the wrong things and going one step forward and two steps back. I gained back 15 lbs since Christmas and haven’t been able to get it off, as I am an emotional eater and weight watchers is too slow and not encouraging for me. So it would be nice to share with others in this chat room that are on this journey as well. I want to make a list of all the foods allowed and that I like, then I want to create my own daily menus from there, as I don’t always like the recipes in the book. I like to keep it simple and quick. Good luck to all of us!

• posted by New Day Rising
    on

Hello everyone.
    I started on 24th June and so I am almost a week into the diet. So far I’ve lost 8lbs. I’m sure more of that is just water, but it is still a great motivator. I’m pleased with my progress.

I also have PCOS, although I am slightly confused about this. I had a recent scan and no cysts could be found and the woman doing the ultra sound told me that you can grow out of PCOS??? So, I may or may not have it! I don’t know if this means that I’m no longer insulin resistant.

Anyway, it’s something that I’ve always been concerned about. I turned 40 last year and my weight was creeping up. I just loved a sesame seed bagel with loads of butter on for breakfast.

I started at 184 lbs and I am currently 176lbs. I am only 5ft and my healthy BMI (93-123 lbs) is quite frankly ridiculous. I think even at 18, I was never the BMI I should be, but I am trying to get down to 126 lbs and any more would be a bonus.

I’m worried about reaching my weight goal and then putting the weight back on. I want to keep it off this time.

I’m taking my kids to Florida and New York at the end of October and I hope to try and achieve half my goal by then. I am visiting friends in New York that I haven’t seen since I was 21 and I’d like for them to see me with my weight gone. Vain, I know!

I am fairly active in that I have 2 children that occupy my time and a house to renovate and I do a bit of cycling, but then my day job requires me to sit at a desk all day. I do make sure I do a 30 min walk on my lunch break and I currently only work 3 days a week.

I am feeling exhausted and achey at the moment and I’m hoping this will pass. I did do a 5 mile bike ride with my son last night. I put my daughter on the back of my bike and she fell asleep on the journey. I had to keep propping her head back up with my bum. Haha.

Anyway, lovely to virtually meet you all. I hope we can all spur each other on, on our journey’s.

on

Hello all! Today marks the end of my 2nd week on the fast 800. Very curious to know the scales results but I’m currently in bed enjoying the calm before the storm – 3 young children 😉
    I looked up my weight and height in pounds and feet as that seems to be the measure on the forums lol
    I’m 5’7 and I was initially 175lbs. Discarded 8 pounds in my first week. My aim is to reach 143 lbs although my true healthy weight before kids was 137lbs.
    ———
    Baxter, welcome to the thread! It’s lovely to see someone 2 weeks ahead of me, you should be proud of your discard so far, it’s an excellent result! Have you already had some thoughts about how to tackle maintenance this time around?
    ———
    Hi Jennie, thanks for the encouragements and advices on managing diabetes T2. How long has been your journey on the fast 800? Have you reached maintenance?
    ———
    PurplePetunia, welcome! I share the same WW history… it would work for a while, but so slow… and I would usually pile all the weight back on because everything was allowed and I didn’t change my habits.
    In terms of food that is allowed, I would first focused on what isn’t and that’s all the big carbs : bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, pizza, most fruits (!), sugar, alcohol except a little wine is ok.
    So focus on proteins, nuts, good fat and vegetables grown above ground and you’ll be acing it!
    ———
    Hi New Day Rising and welcome!
    I feel like we have similar life, I too have young kids and work 3 days a week in a desk job. Although I finished renovating my home a couple months back 😜
    I like your objectives and don’t find them vain at all.
    I’m worried as well about putting the weight back on at the end, and I think this needs to become a new way of eating. We can’t go back to a fully carb loaded diet. I often look at how much my slim friends eat when we are having dinner together and they stop eating well before me!!! No secret.
    Speak later all of you, my kids are up! 😋

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi again, Louise. Your insight is spot on! This WOE is a complete lifestyle change, and returning to previous carb habits
    will only return you to the place that you were before. After 3 years, I define success in terms of keeping the weight off,
    which is the bigger accomplishment. Although I have more latitude with calories in maintenance, keeping track of
    the carbs each day is still a necessity. I hope all of you have signed on for one of the apps to do these calculations for
    you. It’s not as grim as you might imagine though, because it quickly becomes a habit. Coming to an understanding
    that carbs are more significant than calories, is the key. If you can all begin to see this as an adventure, rather than an
    enforced period of deprivation, will be the greatest gift that you can give yourselves. There are no limits to what
    you will be able to accomplish, and you will amaze yourselves! There are many of us experienced BSDers here, so
    shout out if you have any questions or concerns, and we will come running! We’re looking out for you 🙂

Allie

on

How many calories do you eat these days Allie?

• posted by alliecat
    on

Louise, it ranges from 1450-1600, depending on whether or not I happen to be exercising regularly. Others here can
    tolerate more, but they really enjoy working out regularly, etc. and I don’t 🙂 I followed the advice of successful maintainers
    here though, and found an online calculator for determining my total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) rather than just
    pulling an arbitrary number out of a hat! Truthfully, maintenance looks different for each one of us, and it really is a
    process of trial and error as we learn how are our own unique bodies are going to respond. Certainly not as straight
    forward as just eating 800cal20carbs each day for 10 months! 🙂 🙂 🙂

on

Interesting! I’m hoping my maintenance number might be closer to 1,800+ as I used to eat 1,500 to lose weight 😊
    Could you share the link to that calculator? Would love to have a play! 😅

• posted by BritinHK
    on

Hi Everyone! It’s great to see so many enthusiastic people joining this thread! Having the support and encouragement of others going through the same thing, at the same time, is going to be a great help to us all!

I was planning to start tomorrow, after I’d planned my weekly menus, and done shopping, but I woke up this morning thinking, ‘why delay another day?’ I’ve got most of what I need already in the fridge/freezer/cupboards, so no point in waiting until tomorrow!
    I hopped on the scales and I must confess that, after checking what my ideal weight range should be, it was worse than I thought … I actually, realistically, need to lose 60-70lbs to get down to a healthy weight range. On top of that, I also measured all of my stats and, out of interest, I calculated my BMI, and also my Waist-Hip Ratio, and my Waist-Height Ration … OMG! It’s a wonder that I’m still here!
    It’s really very worrying! Which has lead me delay no longer … I’m on it!

Well done to all of you who are having great losses … you’re all a great inspiration! Keep up the good work!

Jennie10 … I like your advice about setting smaller targets, rather than just aiming for the final goal! I’ve set myself 5 targets to reach on the way, which hopefully won’t seem quite as daunting as the whole amount that I need to lose … and I’m looking forward to treating myself to some new clothes as the weight goes down!

PurplePetunia … Like you, and others, I’ve also spent years trying other diet plans … WW, SW, etc … and constantly yo-yoing up and down, and never actually reaching my goal. As you said, these are OK for short periods, but they never actually teach you to eat healthily, or to change your habits for life, which is what we need to do.

NewDayRising … 8lbs in under a week! That’s fantastic, and such a great motivation to carry on!

LouiseKangooroo … Good luck with your 2 weeks weigh-in!

Alliecat … thank you for your good advice. It’s so good to hear from someone who has been through this, and has successfully managed to keep the weight off long-term. Which, as you said, it’s what it’s all about … a new WOE, for life, not just for a few weeks!

All the best to everyone! I’m looking forward to coming here regularly, and being a part of this successful journey together!

on

Britin, you inspired me to check my waist measurement. I knew it wouldn’t be pretty but shocked at the number. 96cm and my waist heigh ratio is 0.56 which puts me in the very overweight category 😳
    You are right, there’s no better day than today to start this new way of life. Your health is top priority!

• posted by BritinHK
    on

Louise … That’s better than mine! I’m only 5’2″, with a very large waist (all my fat is around my middle!), so my waist to height ration is 0.77!! That’s seriously worrying!! Which is why I need to lose this fat FAST! Gone are the days when I wanted to lose weight just to look good … now I’m more concerned about doing it for my health! I’m just annoyed that I’ve left it so long and got myself to this unhealthy stage in the first place! Grrrr!

Actually, I’ll edit that to say I don’t actually have a waist … I’m more like a barrel!

• posted by Baxter
    on

Good morning everyone and thanks for your lovely welcomes.
    LouiseK you are so right about the need to think of maintenance, but as I’ve got over 100lbs to lose, I’ll be here as a discarder until probably 2021. One thing I’ve found really reassuring though, is AllieCat, CaliforniaGirl, JGwen and others who have maintained. I’ve only ever once got to a healthy BMI and, with hindsight I didn’t believe it was possible to stay there, which is probably why I didn’t. I didn’t know anyone who had loss that much weight and I certainly had never knowingly met anyone who had kept it off, so I had no one to talk to about it and no one to show me how it would be possible. But already from my research and reading Gary Taubes and Jason Fung, Diet Do tor and this forum, I understand that it’s the carbs that are the key, and not so much the calories, and I really believe this time it can be forever.
    Yesterday for my one month carb free anniversary I had a manicure and pedicure, and at the end of July I’m going to have a facial as my 2 month anniversary present to myself. Like Sunderland, I managed to navigate an eating out menu, and had pork crackling nibbles and a nice smoked mackerel salad, and no one who didn’t already know would have guessed I’m low carb 😁. I don’t want to go public about it yet, as there have been so many previous 2-3 stone losses and gains, and realistically no one will notice until I’ve lost about 4 stone. So for now it’s only the people who I live with who know what I’m doing.

• posted by BritinHK
    on

Baxter, I like the idea of treating yourself to a monthly anniversary present … I think I’ll go for that! And perhaps also for reaching my targets along the way! Like you, I’ve not told anyone about starting this WOE, except for hubby, and I’d be really interested to hear how other people deal with it. I often wonder whether it’s best to keep it to yourself, or whether to tell the world! I can see advantages and disadvantages for both ways. I do worry that if I don’t tell anyone, and I end up having a bad day/week, it’ll be easier for me to give up if I lose motivation, and that I have the excuse that no one knows so I won’t lose face. But then I worry, if do tell others, that I’ll feel under pressure, and feel like everyone’s watching what I put in my mouth! I don’t know what the best answer is. I guess we’re all different and like to handle things our own way, but I would be interested to know how other feel about this ….

on

I have told my close friends because we invite them over for dinner very regularly. OH has told many other friends and acquaintances. People didn’t care very much tbh. They were interested to hear the plan and that was that. No further comments.
    I used to always hide the fact that I was on a diet. This time it feels different. Maybe because I’m doing it for my health? So it’s like telling people that I’m on a new medication?
    Not sure why it feels different and that I’m not ashamed of doing something for me.

on

Hi everyone. It’s so good to have the support and encouragement we give to one another! Well yesterday was my first day and already I have lost 2.2 lbs. and that is so encouraging for me! I know it won’t be like that everyday, but it would take me 2 weeks to lose that on any other diet I have been on! Also, I have been having sleep issues for awhile now (lack of sleep) but last night was the best sleep I have had in a very long time, so I believe as they say: “the proof is in the pudding.” Sleep, as we all know is so important for our bodies, that is the time when our bodies repairs itself and with the intermittent fasting, even better because our body is not spending all it’s time digesting food! The rewards of this way of living far exceed the desires of unhealthy eating habits, without our health we can do nothing! Have a great day and keep on keeping on!

on

Hi Britin. You are so right- why wait another day! I started yesterday; which was a Saturday and normally I would say to myself: I will start on Monday and proceed to have a final “binge” before then as if I can never have food again! Keep on going, we are all on the right path to success now!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Louise, I’m American, so this website may not be available to you in Australia. If it isn’t, all that you need to do is google
    “TDEE calculator” and you will find one that you can access.

https://tdeecalculator.net

I’m on the run this morning, but I will return later on in the day to properly welcome purplepetunia and baxter. For
    now though, I’m sending you both a very warm WELCOME! Please be undaunted by the number of lbs. you would
    like to lose. All things are possible with the BSD. There is nothing at all unusual about me, and I was able to discard
    140lbs. in 10 months. I always have a special place in my heart for “lovely ladies with lots to lose”, because I once stood
    in your shoes. Stay with this community, and we will get you where you want to go!!! 🙂

Allie

on

Allie: Thank you for your warm welcome! Your message of your weight loss is very inspiring and encouraging. Congratulations on your successful weight loss! I have always believed that people that struggle with weight problems are usually having them because of hurtful things in our lives and we must find a better way to deal with them. I know I personally am one of them, that feed my emotions and stress with food and then I feel worse afterwards not better. This support forum is good for all of us in our daily struggles!

purple petunia

• posted by 7babies
    on

Hello everyone. I have done 2 weeks of the Fast 800 and lost 8 lb (which I think is about 3.5 kilo. ) I took a break of a couple days because I was worried about B vitamins but I’m back at it today. Luckily my blood sugar is normal, but I carry all my weight in my belly. That is bad and so I’m jumping in before things get worse. I have the book on hold from my library and can’t wait to read it.

• posted by BritinHK
    on

Good afternoon Everyone! … Well, it’s afternoon where I am! … I think we have a few different time zones going on, on this thread … UK, USA, Australia … and me in Hong Kong (although I’m from the UK!).
    Well, day 1 yesterday for me was pretty good, and I was eager to get started on day 2 today!

PurplePetunia ~ Great job losing 2.2lbs on your first day! The losses really do give you motivation to carry on, don’t they? … I’m too scared to get on the scales everyday, so I’m going to leave it until Friday, and keep my fingers crossed!
    What do others prefer to do? Do you weigh daily or weekly?
    I also have trouble sleeping, especially once I hit the menopause stage! I’m hoping that this new lifestyle will help with that problem, as I’m always so tired, after being awake half the night!!
    Like you, I’ve always said, ‘I’ll start on Monday’, and then proceeded to have my last binge like there was no tomorrow! I’m so glad that I decided to start on Sunday as it proves to myself that I can do things differently!

alliecat ~ 140lbs in 10 months! I am in awe of you! What an inspiration you are to others starting on this journey! Thank you, again, for being here and taking the time to offer advice to those of us just starting out.

Louise ~ I agree with you that other people probably don’t care, and aren’t really that interested … until they see the weight starting to drop off us!Lol Probably because I’m doing this for me, for my health, and not just simply to lose weight, I also agree that it feels different this time, compared to when I’ve tried to lose weight previously.

7babies ~ Welcome to the thread! I’m also a belly carrier, so I understand how you feel. I’ve tried to shift it for years, but to no avail … it kind of gradually just crept up on me over time, without me noticing … now I’m in this danger zone and I’m determined to do something about it once and for all! Great that you’ve lost 8lbs in 2 weeks … that belly will be gone in no time! Hope you get to read the book ASAP … I read it all in one go, and it makes so much sense. Keep up the good work!

Have a good day, everyone!

• posted by BillieAGA
    on

Good morning and happy Monday from the UK.
    I hope everyone had a nice weekend. This is such a good thread for a newbie, mixture of new starter worries and sound advice from experienced voices. 🙂

I’ve just had my first weekend on Fast800, I dreaded it so planned a really full weekend to keep myself busy and distracted. And it worked! I discarded 3kg (6lb?) my first week and now feel really encouraged for my second.

For those of you who have been on it for a while .. do you need to plan your weekends so you don’t feel tempted by food? And if so, what’s your tips and tricks? Or does it get easier once you settled into the new way of eating? I don’t want to worry about temptations or when/where my next meal is, that will just be such a bore for everyone around me and will drive me mad also! I’m hoping it’s a bit like exercising, it might take a few weeks, but once you’re in a routine you don’t really think about it?

On the 3 vs 2 meals … I used to eat 5-6 meals (my personal trainer recommended it as ‘eating little and often burns fat’) so found the thought of 2 meals too much. I’ve had 3 meals all week; I mostly get a 14 hour fast in (breakfast at 8-9, dinner at 5-7), did 12 once and 16 once (mostly coz’ I got the maths wrong!). Only a week, but so far it’s working so perhaps no need to change, but also thinking it may be easier to cut to 2 meals once I’m a bit more used to it.

Here’s to good week for us all!

• posted by Baxter
    on

Hi Billie
    I’m a month in, on my second time around with BSD. I use an app on my phone to log food and track carbs, protein, fat and calories. This time I’ve got a much clearer idea about the importance of watching the carbs rather than the cals, and that is helping ever so much. For the weekend planning, I’ve been playing with the app the night before, and thinking what the food choices might be, depending on what we are doing. Then I try out different food combinations and see which works the best for me; it’s helping to educate and inform me, so I can make good choices rather than guessing about things.
    I’m hosting a book club meeting tonight, and I’ve got to provide nibbles. I’m going retro! They are having cheese and sausages on sticks tonight, vol au vents (I’m having the prawns and chicken fillings) and strawberries and cream. By using the app I know it’s 507 cals and 17 carbs, so I’ve sorted my lunch to fit with that and I’m taking this as a 16-8 day.
    Have a good day everyone

on

Morning Everyone,
    After my first week on the diet, I have shifted 9lbs. I’m really pleased and it is motivation to continue.

Yesterday, I did a bike ride with my kids. We cycled 15 miles. 7.5 miles each way to get to a family petting farm. There were some really steep hills, which I had to walk up with the bike and my daughter on the back. Felt slightly better as my 9 year old had to do the same.

However, when I got home my legs were completely exhausted. I couldn’t sleep due to the ache in my left thigh. I don’t know if it’s the diet or just old age kicking in, but I’ve never felt like this after a cycle. I’m not a seasoned cyclist, but I do get out and do occasional cycling with my kids, so it alarmed me a bit. I guess I pushed myself a little too much for the first week.

I have been motivated with the cycling and have signed up Breeze and registered myself on a few cycling groups. Some family oriented and some ladies only. Nothing like the MAMIL’s we see on our roads.

I made myself a nice salad for the picnic and forgot a fork. Fingers it was. I almost caved and ate my daughter’s chicken sandwich!

on

Morning everyone!
    Disappointed loss here for my 2nd week after a great first week. Only shifted 700gr and the scales haven’t been moving at all for the past 4 days. So much for the rapid weight loss advocated by MM in his book! I was just telling OH that I was just losing as slow on WW 🤷‍♀️
    Anyway I’ll keep at it, I’m not one to throw the towel so quickly and it took a long time to pile the weight. I’m just quite disappointed that my experience is quite removed from what MM described in his book. I feel cheated!
    New Day Rising, my muscles ache much quicker since having been on the diet so I don’t believe it’s old age yet 🤣 great discard btw! You should be so pleased 🙂
    Baxter, enjoy book club. I like your ideas for nibbles. We had some at my place last night too and I kept it ultra simple : raw carrots and cauliflower with mustard & Greek yoghurt dip
    Billie, great discard! 3kg! Regarding week ends, I don’t plant that much as I don’t feel tempted by carbs anymore. So I wing it and if we’re out I pick what’s keto friendly on the menu. There are always eggs or grilled fish.
    Brittin, well done on a successful first day. The first day is always the hardest! I am a daily weighter, always been always will be. I love data and I love to see how my weight fluctuates depending on circumstances. In the week leading to my periods I put on 2kg worth of water! I think weighing daily is ok as long as a gain won’t discourage or upset you for the whole day. If small gains have strong impact then its prob best to weigh in weekly.

• posted by BritinHK
    on

Billie ~ What a fantastic start for your first week! Well done! You obviously planned well for the weekend too … that’s something I’m going to need to be careful about … our weekends have always revolved around a social life based on eating and drinking wine! I know it’s going to be tricky, so I’ll have to plan ahead very carefully for the weekends!

Baxter ~ I think I need to download an app to keep track of everything. It’s a great idea to use it to plan ahead, BEFORE you eat a meal … I’ll look into downloading one and give it a go. Enjoy your book club meeting tonight!

New Day Rising ~ Wow! What a great loss for your first week too! Excellent! Sounds like you may have over done it a bit on the bike ride, but what a great way to exercise, it’ll surely help you on your way to your goal.

Well, my day 2 is nearly over now, and I’m pleased to say that it’s gone pretty well. I had Tuna and Tomato Salsa in ‘Taco’ lettuce wraps for lunch, and I’m about to prepare Chicken Biriani with Cauli Rice for dinner, both out of the 8-week BSD recipe book. I’ve signed up to an Aqua Fit class twice a week (Tues & Fri), and I’m hoping that the thunderstorm they have forecast here for tomorrow will hold off until after the class, as the pool is outdoors! Fingers crossed!

on

Hi all, I just typed this whole long post and internet ate it. Argh. Just wanted to report my 2nd week discard and I’ve lost a massive 700gr… Not so impressed tbh and feeling a little bit cheated by MM and his book. He’s whole about rapid weight loss and everything and I’m losing at the same pace – if not slower pace – than I was on Weight Watchers. This is BS.
    Anyway, I’ll keep at it, I’m in it for the long haul but yeap, not a fan of slow progresses when Im following the rules by the book. Every day around 800 kcal, below 20gr and around 50-60 proteins. Actually now that I think of it, I don’t have the metallic taste anymore so I’m prob out of ketosis too.
    PurplePetunia, very impressive discard for your first day!! Keep at it!
    Allie, thanks for the link to the calculator. Depending on my level of activity, my TDEE will be around 1,800-2,000 kcal which is what I was expecting.
    7Babies, welcome back!! I’m the same, all my weight is in my belly, worst place to be, and I have no issue with my blood sugar (yet).
    Britin, I love your outlook on the fast 800, so positive and eager. It gives me a boost.
    Billie, I don’t do anything different for the week ends as I don’t feel tempted by carbs anymore. So I just eat what’s available and “allowed”. I track everything too, in advance if possible.
    Baxter, hope you had fun with your book club. Very clever nibbles. We had nibbles at my place with friends on Sunday and went super basic: raw carrots and cauliflower with a mustard & greek yoghurt dip.
    New Day Rising, 9lbs is amazing!! Well done!! I found that my muscles are A LOT more aching since on this new WOE. It’s not old age lol

on

Oh Britin, forgot to say that I am a daily weighter. Always have and always will be. I’m a data freak! I love seeing my weight fluctuates, I find it so interesting to see how much it can go up and down by in such small time frame (days). For me, it gives me perspective. But I guess weighting daily would be a really bad idea for someone that would be upset or demotivating by a gain on the scale.
    I use Happy Scales app to record my daily weights and that gives me a moving average weight, so it irons out the ups and downs.
    In the week leading to my periods, I ALWAYS put on 2kg. TWO KILOS. That’s massive no?! And they are gone on the next day following my periods.

on

Hi Louise K. Thanks for the encouragement! today I lost 1.4 lbs. but I know I did not drink enough water yesterday so that could be a factor. I did however manage to get a good walk in. Don’t be discouraged yet, it takes time I think for our body to adjust and for us to get the diet down correctly, fine tune it so to speak. I still need to read more of the book and most importantly know the foods allowed and make recipes around them. You will get there, keep hanging in.

Purple Petunia

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Billie – I agree with you on the 3 v 2 meals a day. I started on 3 meals a day and it was only after I’d settled in a bit that I went to 2 meals a day. For me, after the basic principles what’s best is whatever works best for you.
    New Day Rising – what a great start – 9lbs weight loss – and wow, what a bike ride. No wonder you’re exhausted. I know Prof Roy Taylor (whose Newcastle Diet was a major influence on MM’s 8 week BSD diet) advocated people doing his diet do no exercise during the very low calorie period of the diet. It was a different diet (shake-based and maybe 600 calories originally, I think) so not completely the same, but as you say it might be worth taking it a bit easier for the first few weeks while your body’s adjusting. But still, impressive! Although, sounds like a close call for your daughter and her sandwich!
    Louise – I’m also a data freak – although I can also get very annoyed with my scales from time to time. To answer your earlier question about my BSD experience – I’m almost in maintenance… again. I started BSD in May 2016 when I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes. I was almost 15 stone. I got my Type II into remission within 4 months , and by January 2017 I was 9st. I’ve stayed low carb (and kept my diabetes in remission) ever since. I managed to maintain my weight until around this time last year but then I just started eating bigger portions. I knew I was putting on weight but, as Petunia and Britin says, I fell back into the old ‘I’ll start Monday, next week, after the holiday’ thinking and then eating as much as I could before that day etc… so ended up putting over 2/2.5 stone back on. But, the good news is I started on the 800 calories again in October last year and I’m now 1lb away from my new target weight- 9st 7lb. I’m still trying to work out why I fell out of maintenance and how to do differently this time!
    Btw, it’s lovely to have a new thread to read.

Hope everyone else is doing well. .
    Jennie xx

on

My one tip for staying at your goal weight is to donate the old wardrobe completely and get fitted clothes, not stretchy if possible. That’s how most french people stay thin. Need to get on top of a 1-2kg gain otherwise you can’t put your clothes on. I’ve already donated a couple of my clothes now that I have lost 5kg. I don’t want anything that would fit me when I’m bigger cause I’m never going to be bigger again :-p

on

Weigh to go Britin! That’s a fantastic weight loss for a week and so encouraging for all to hear! I would love to have that weight loss in a week. I am down 3.6 lbs. in 2 days so far and its encouraging enough for me to stay on this diet. I’ve been on and off Weight Watchers so many times over the years and have yet to get to my “goal” weight. I think I must have part ownership in the company by now! (ha ha). Weight watchers is just not working for me, its discouraging not encouraging, I tried so hard, tracked, and all of that and then I would be lucky to lose 5 lbs. in a month eventhough I followed it exactly. So I know this works eventhough it can be a bit difficult to adjust I think the results are well worth it!. I’ve been doing the intermittent fasting along with it, usually have dinner around 5 or 6 pm then I don’t eat anything else until lunch time the next day so I have been getting 18-19 hours fasting in. Surprisingly I haven’t been hungry at all. I need to lose 55 lbs. to get to my goal weight that I would like.- make that 51.5 minused the 3.6 lbs. I lost in 2 days.
    It’s exciting to see those numbers go down faster and encouraging to stay with it. Happy day everyone!

on

I agree with LouiseKangooroo. Don’t opt for the leggings. It was a downward spiral for me in my weight gain! Keep to fitted materials, where you feel the difference, like jeans. They’re not very forgiving. Don’t give up on the diet just yet either Louise. I had a good weight loss this week, but I know the weight loss will stall this week. This week might be your week!

I never tried WW, but I did do Slimming World with my sister several times and I probably only lost 7 lbs in a year and I just found the woman who ran the club really patronising. In the end we just went for the laugh.

However, that said, my friend did lose 3 stone on Slimming World and is now a consultant, but I suppose it just shows that not all diets are suitable for everyone.

Britin – I’ve also been weighing daily and am a stickler for stats.

on

I guess I’m just annoyed at MM and his book. He makes no mention of a slow weight loss, if anything he says that weigh loss should still be rapid within the first 12 weeks.
    I fell for it! It wouldn’t look good for his sales/books if he was mentioning people getting stuck on 3 weeks plateau or losing slowly. But it would be more realistic.
    Anyway I’ll focus on the positives : I feel heaps better, my wedding rings can slide on and off my finger easily – a month ago it would take me 15 min of pulling at them and I would nearly dislodge my finger – and my clothes fit better. 👍👍💪

Please log in or register to post a reply.