Judicious July: Just starting over!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by LouiseKangooroo
    on

Frenc admin is the worst Gwen 🙈🙈🙈
    All I can say is good luck 😅
    Halloumie fries sound delish! I’ll have to try 😊

• posted by Violinist
    on

Up way too early today. So here we are on July 6. Lately I feel like the weeks wiz by so darn fast. It was very hot yesterday but managed to swim 1/2 mile in the morning. Most mornings I do go down to the pool and get in 30 minutes of laps. I would like to do the elliptical in the afternoon, but I am not motivated. Will have to work on that.

• posted by Violinist
    on

Down 3.2 pounds this week.
    Wow, just looked at the temperature here (1 am) and it is 80 degrees!

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning!
    Welcome to LouiseKangooroo and welcome back to SueBlue and caronl lovely to see you.
    LouiseKangooroo please don’t be anxious and do believe in this way of eating it really does work. Some of us have been following this way of eating (WOE) for as long as three years and it has worked. But , as with every change in lifestyle sometimes there are blips …. it’s never a straight road. The reason we are all successful is that we have the ongoing support of the members of these forums. So please don’t be anxious it will work for you too!
    Caron I understand exactly how you feel and I guess we are all in denial at some stage. It’s recognising it that keeps are eyes back on the prize.
    Birdy I hope you are better soon
    Wendy and s-g you are doing so well. We always knew that this works when we stick with it! It’s just a matter identifying the habits that have crept in and addressing them. You’ve identified yours, now I need to do the same with mine then I just need to address them!!
    Violinist I’m impressed with your lists and exercise but I’m even more impressed with your ‘Mid-year Resolutions’ . Maybe we should all make a plan of how/where we want to be in six months!
    I’m really just starting back to eating judiciously today, now that all the holidaying is over. I have no excuses not to get straight back on track. I’m so enthused by everybody’s renewed enthusiasm that I’m jumping onboard with you all. Let’s make the second half of 2019 really count.
    Have a good weekend. I’m off to make my ‘Mid-year Resolutions’ !

• posted by Violinist
    on

Have a great day Verano!!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Great discard Cat !!! Well done you !! Judicious July is working !!

Verano , you are always wise and reassuring. I was thinking of your 3rd annniversary. September 1st will mark one year for me…wow, the year is galloping by ! I totally agree.This WOE definitely does work.It requires commitment like everything but for the first time in my life I have made friends with food..something I never imagined would happen.

The halloumi fries were good… I just whizzed up some almonds to make the flour . They looked like cheesy fish fingers !

Have a great day/weekend everyone xx

• posted by Violinist
    on

Thanks Wendleg! You too!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi all, dont know what is wrong with my legs but I think it might be that my muscles think they are still swimming and just wont settle down. I have taken to getting up during the night just to have a walk around. Finally got to sleep around 3am only to be woken at 4.30 by a massive storm – wind, hail and lightening – luckily the garden has survived although we can hear a lot of chainsaws being used around and about. I did manage to get some sleep and hubby left me until 10am. Thing are still going well and I will be back in the pool later as it is getting very hot again (33 degrees). Didn’t win the lottery AGAIN…. Hey ho, keep on keeping on…

on

Verano, there are two new courses starting on FutureLearn. Food as Medicine and Food as Medicine: Inflammation & Nutrition. I have already done the first one and it was very good but just tried to register for the second and it seemed to want to charge me $149 even though it said Access For Life Price – I couldn’t find a FREE button. Thought you might be interested in doing one of these but also see if you can find the free bits – I am useless at tech.

Just re-checked and it says ‘these are premium courses for medical professionals’, which is why they charge, the Food as Medicine course is free.

• posted by Verano
    on

Thanks s-g. I took a look and the course is definitely not free. They seem to have started charging for more and more courses over the last 12 months. I did do the Food as medicine one but can’t remember it! Maybe I’ll have another go. Ahh just seen your last sentence!
    Wendy I forgot my anniversary yesterday!!!!!! Maybe there is some deep psychological reason for that! Anyway thanks for reminding me

• posted by alliecat
    on

Huge congratulations on your 3rd BSD anniversary, V.! Or is it a birthday? I’m never sure about the distinction…I’m the
    first of June, you are the first week in July, and Esnecca is the first week of August! Who could ever have imagined these
    outcomes back in 2016? Or the friendship accrued! I’m so happy to know you, as we travel this road together! 🙂

• posted by Verano
    on

Ahh Allie my friend ….. it’s 3rd BSD Anniversary …. who would have thought !
    You are so right travelling this road with ‘friends’ has been a revelation and I know I’d not be at this place to day without my fellow travellers.
    I started a new mid-year diary today and transferred all my data, in mid August I’ll be two years in diabetes remission without drugs ……. it’s worked!!!!!!!! What more can I ask for!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hooray, V.! I’m doing virtual cartwheels around the house, celebrating your accomplishments! Pray that I don’t disable myself
    by crashing into any walls…xxx

• posted by Verano
    on

LOL! My heart is lightened by my friendships here…. only you can understand! Thank you so much Allie you enrich my life. Even though we’ve never met I feel that I know you so well. Maybe one day ……. who knows…..

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

I just want to echo Verano. I have been so helped by the forum.

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning!
    July 7th …. so we have reached the last day of the first week in July. It’s great to hear of so many successes already. For those of us who may be taking a little longer to get back into our stride …. today is a new day forget what has gone before …. just keep on keeping on ………

• posted by alliecat
    on

What great losses this week, Cat! Don’t change a thing 🙂 You’re in the “groove”!!!

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Congratulations on your 3rd BSD anniversary Verano! You have been such a wonderful and thoughtful member of these forums! It’s been wonderful getting to “know” you here!

• posted by Verano
    on

Thank you! Without your help and wisdom, together with a few others, I know that I wouldn’t have persevered for so long. I think we are a great little band of ‘push me pull me’ BSD’ers!

• posted by Violinist
    on

Goodmorning all!
    And here it is, the line up of “Seniors” on the forum missing maybe a few like Jgwen. Thanks for staying way after your successes to encourage us and share your knowledge.
    Verano, congrats on three years BSD!!
    Have a great Sunday!

on

I am another 3 year member of this group along with V, allie, esnecca. What happened to Captain Lynne?? She lost masses of weight although, just for still being here my hero is allie. I will be weighing in tomorrow but can say I have had a very good week. Always being on the plan, sticking to it rigidly doesn’t bring massive losses but I have still lost probably as much as I would on one of the usual diet plans. I have the added advantage of excellent blood glucose control with a nice reading this morning of 103 or a perfect 5.5 in old money….

Here’s to another good week.

• posted by Violinist
    on

Morning sunshine girl! I as hoping someone would name the others. You are brilliant!

Cat

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi guys, I am still here, and post occasionally, its a delight to me to see the growing number of newer members who have picked up on the science and can reply to newcomers questions.

So good to see the word spreading. I was at a community social event yesterday and ran into someone else who is cutting back on the processed food. She said something interesting, modern breads are higher in gluten because they have been selectively developing wheat to have higher gluten levels. The higher the gluten level the more water that the bread can hold bringing production costs down. She was also talking about how much better she felt since cutting down on carbs. Maybe one day I will see someone in the supermarket who is also doing a low carb shop.

• posted by 7babies
    on

Good morning all. I took an internet break to enjoy family and friends over the US holiday but now i’m back. It is great to read about everyone’s successes and commiserate with everyone’s near misses. I was judicious as the title says and it paid off. I am down 2 lb despite a bite here and there of fair foods-funnel cakes, elephant ears and milkshakes, but I did literally have five bites (or sips). I set that as a “ taste”. It has been a very warm few days so my exercise has suffered. I passed out earlier this month so I’m taking it easy in the heat. Off to church now. Have a lovely day or evening for many.

• posted by 7babies
    on

Congrats on your BSD Anniversary and success.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Morning, Cat! Just a few others with years of maintenance, too! SunnyB and Californiagirl. They also remain very active
    in our community. Sunny has been on holiday in Turkey for the past 3 months, but will be back with us next week 🙂

• posted by Violinist
    on

Morning Allie!

Thank you so much! I am keeping track so I can go read the inspiring things you guys have written in the past. If you have any other names just add to the list.

Senior BSDers
    Allie
    California Girl
    Captainlynne
    Esnecca
    SunnyB
    Sunshine Girl
    Verano

• posted by Violinist
    on

Today I have been reading Captainlynnes past replies on her profiles as she is around my age. She gives such a good timeline on her profile.
    Have a great day!

Cat

• posted by Violinist
    on

Dang, I forgot Jgwen on this list!!!

• posted by Violinist
    on

Senior BSDers
    Allie
    California Girl
    Captainlynne
    Esnecca
    Jgwen
    SunnyB
    Sunshine Girl
    Verano

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone !
    Wow , so much weekend activity on the forum !! I am certainly still a BSD ‘junior’ after only being on the forum since September but I wish to add my heart felt gratitude to everyone who has helped me along the way (that includes everyone on your list Cat , apart from CaptainLynne whom I never ‘met’ ) My questions were always answered with kindness and generosity ( even though you must have responded to those queries umpteen times !!)
    The friendships that have developed are now an essential part of my life and I am so enriched by the lovely, lovely people on the forum.
    I will continue to maintenance and do my utmost to support newcomers in the same spirit in which I was so warmly welcomed .

Into Week 2 and I still intend to refrain from nut and choc consumption ! I already look at the nut jar and the choc in the fridge with respect and a smile . We are friends 😉

• posted by Violinist
    on

Hi Wendleg, Ya, I have to laugh at the thought of the same question being asked over and over!!! It is so true!!!

• posted by arcticfox
    on

I’ve had a better weekend than week so far. I’m essentially back at starting weight now (had some fluctuations up and down throughout the week), so still need to lose 2.5kg to meet my goal for the month, but at least I haven’t gained anything. I was quite worried when the water weight wasn’t coming off that I had actually gained! I was very hungry when I got up this morning so I had 2 eggs fried with some kimchi and olives and it was so filling that I actually struggled to finish it. Did a couple hours of hard housework and had an apple and some cheese for lunch.
    I was so glad to see LTC back on the other threads. I will have to pop on over there later to say hi because she certainly helped me out a lot the last time with recipes and meal ideas. However, reading about the egg diet made me think that I would much rather just fast than eat all those eggs! I do eat eggs, but probably not enough as they are not really a favourite thing for me. But I did think that maybe I should try eating more this week and see what happens. It might help me do my 24 hour fasts this week. Strangely we are in the middle of another egg shortage here. The supermarket still had free range ones on a 2 for 1 offer yesterday, in spite of the bare shelves and the fact that these were pretty much all that was left, so I did manage to get 2 dozen. I felt quite guilty at taking so many eggs just for myself when there seems to be such a supply issue though! It seems very strange to me because I live in an area that has the highest concentration of chickens in the entire country and given my work I know that there isn’t any issue in the industry causing shortages at the moment. Maybe someone at the supermarket forgot to place the order? I live in a strange town is all I can say…

• posted by luciaslife
    on

Well done Wendleg, I am still doing well and staying away from my normal ice cream and biscuit weakness. I have two incentives, the group which is proving very helpful and my niece’s wedding at the end of August. When I have stuck to this eating plan before I have plateaued and got stuck after 3 weeks and it seemed to take a huge effort and amount of time to get over. I am rather in awe of those doing 20g of carbs a day, perhaps that is what I need to address in order to avoid the 3 week hump. Any thoughts? Lucia x

• posted by Verano
    on

Good Monday morning!
    Day 8, and the start of week 2. So pleased to see so many people getting back on plan and doing well.
    When I first started CaptainLynne was my ‘hero’ . I often wonder how she is. I know she came back for a short time because she’d had a gain but she was also having other issues. I just hope she’s well.
    Wendy you have prompted me to store chocolate in the fridge. I hate chocolate out of the fridge so that might just help!
    Lucia I’m not sure if there is anything you can do to avoid a plateau. But, if you should hit one maybe you can either up your calorie intake for a few days, or drop down to around 20g carbs. I think it may just be a case of fooling your body one way or another by mixing things up
    Last week was so mixed for me with meals out and hotel stays that I’m just pleased to have a full week ahead with just one social evening out. No excuses this week for not staying on plan. I think I may just look back at my early days using FatSecret to see just what I was eating then because it worked!
    I hope that everyone has a good week and as sunshine-girl says, just keep on keeping on ……….

• posted by Violinist
    on

Morning Verano!
    Just checking in here today. Looking forward to a busy week and hope to get more exercise in. I have been printing out my weekly menus on myfitnesspal for future meal plans at 800 calories with macros as
    60fat/15carb/25protein.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Morning everyone ! I just posted on the weekly thread and coming over to say hi on this one. Wishing you all a good week. I will be away on hols tomorrow but will be checking in regularly.

I haven’t researched the egg fast yet as I am concentrating on limiting my excesses of certain foods as you know. I might check it out if another stall happens. Don’ t get discouraged Lucia.Keep going. It’s early days but please don’t give in to despondency if nothing is happening on the scales.You are improving your health massively .Give it time. Add a third incentive….your health xx
    I hope you have a good week articfox. I fortunately have a regular supply of eggs and veg from our farmer neighbours .
    Have a good Week, Cat , and V ! Keep going 7babies.Good to hear of your discard ! That’s worrying that you passed out in the heat. Keep hydrated and safe xx

Have a good Week SG.! Looks like we have no chance of escaping the heat as températures will be in the thirties in Sardinia too next Week. I have a splendid new sun hat !

• posted by chunkyd
    on

Morning all!
    First week weigh in this morning and I can report a 4lb loss which is very encouraging. This time around I have decided to prepare my own evening meals separate from the family, which I think is what I did successfully on my first go on two years ago. When I started up again on 1st January this year I tended to eat what the family was eating but with some omissions of starchy carbs, and the occasional meal prepared by me for myself. This didn’t work so well and I fell into bad habits after a couple of weeks. So far so good this last week – by planning all my eating and preparing everything myself takes away time thinking about the glass of wine I could be having!
    Anyway, I am already feeling better with this loss, and from cutting out the alcohol. Had lunch out with my brother on Saturday, and was able to order a salad (albeit Caesar with some dressing), but after a very hot round of golf I figured I had earned those few extra calories!
    Tonight I am having a pesto and green lentil dish from the new 800 diet recipe book – really tasty and quick too.
    Keep going everyone, and good luck.

• posted by Violinist
    on

Have a great day Wendleg!

• posted by Violinist
    on

Nice going chunyd, I lost over three also! And ya, it is hard to give up my vino!

on

Hi everyone, enjoy Sardinia Wendy. We were there last year, just one day off a cruise, keep away from the canola (yum). I go to Burgos in Spain a week today so I will still be in the heat. Yesterday morning I managed 40 mins in the pool while it was nice and cool, only 28 degrees out and 26 degrees in the water. Since when was that cool but it seemed it. Today it is stifling already at 33.

I have had a loss of 2lbs, would have been more but I had a quite severe hypo last night and hubby was madly forcing glucose syrup down my throat. When I work out my numbers I’d had (prior to glucose) 600 cals and done around the same in exercise so was running on a deficit. I try my best but my body tells me when it is pi^^ed with me. Hey ho, I am still alive. If it was up to hubby he would have been feeding me jam sandwiches. Instead I had pure glucose, a chocolate ginger (from Thorntons), a Werthers Original , a large glass of fruit juice and finally a yoghurt and prunes. Started at 32 and slowly got up to 85 when I felt it was safe to go to bed. It’s a bit of a bummer but at least I can feel it coming over me.

Have a good week everyone.

on

Just as an aside Wendy and totally off topic but how do you cope with the hundreds of phone calls re: insulation. I would love any tips as we had 38 the other day – we have 2 phones, house phone and husbands business phone. Is there any way of stopping them? Now you can go enjoy your holiday.

• posted by Madmare
    on

I have returned home from holiday last Friday to discover I have put on 3.5 lbs!
    I am really annoyed about this as I weighed myself as soon as I got there and I made sure I did not go above the starting weight. The scales in the apartment seemed to match what I weighed at home so I am not sure how this has happened. I initially thought I had put on 7 lbs but that seemed to disappear over the weekend even though I was not really being strict. Unless this is related to air travel!!
    Anyway it all starts today – I started a 36h fast last night and I am intending to do three a week until the end of July. I am hoping this will kick start recovery from insulin resistance.
    Keep you all posted with how I get on.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi Madmare! I haven’t come to any conclusions on whether or not it is possible to reverse insulin resistance, or
    a time frame that would be realistic. I’m interested in your thoughts and results as well, so I’ll be following your posts. Thanks!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Bonjour SG.
    Any nuisance sales calls seem to happen around lunch time and only involve our land line so we basically never answer the phone then ! If the answerphone kicks in and it is something important we would get a message. But invariably there is just a long tonal hum and no message …As we both have mobile phones anyone who knows and loves us knows how to contact us.
    If you want to.block these types of calls there is a service you can sign up to called
    Bloctel
    http://www.bloctel.gouv.fr
    Maybe try that ? Give me a shout if you need any help with it SG x

on

Thanks Wendy, unfortunately these calls start around 9 am and go on until 8 pm. They ring on house phone then again on hubbys phone (they are next to each other in the phone book). These never get to answer machine stage as they cut out after 4 rings so they dont have to pay for a call so we wait 4 rings, stops, okay. We rarely get landline calls but just happened to have 3 last week and they were all urgent but we just happened to be walking past the phone. We know not to answer and they will go away but the constant ringing is driving us crazy. Cant even take it off the hook as they are already hands free and if we press answer and leave it the battery runs down and we have no phone…… Thought Rouge and Bloctel were obsolete but will try Blocktel. Thanks for that. You can go on holiday now.

on

in the time it has taken to type the above, we have had 6 more calls. Buerk….

• posted by StrongCurves
    on

Another week ahead for little old me, determined to stick to my 800 calories and 30-50g of carbohydrates. Going to skip the weekly “Fat Friday” lunch at work too (luckily I’m not the only one as a colleague who has recently lost a lot of weight doesn’t always join either).
    I think my biggest challenge is emotional eating. I tend to reach for the junk when things get stressful such as work, finances etc. I have lots going on at the moment so keeping my eating under control is yet another task! I do weightlifting at the gym (one of the few women in the free weights studio!) so this does help steer my mind from sources of stress. I’m also going to look into doing a bit of creative writing as well (being an author is my dream career) so hoping that will bring some joy as opposed to reaching for a bar of chocolate out the vending machine.
    I also have a wedding to attend in September so all the more reason to pursue good health and get back into a dress from my lovely collection! You don’t realise how much you miss wearing nice clothes when you no longer fit into them.
    I think this first week will be challenging but just need to arm myself appropriately. Having this forum will help too, definitely need some positivity and support.

on

Hi StrongCurves, do you already have a dress / outfit for the wedding hanging in the wardrobe hoping to get into. Try it on. If not actually got one just try on something you would like to get into and you can use this as a measuring stick as the weight comes off.

• posted by StrongCurves
    on

I already have a dress in my wardrobe thinking will be perfect. Good idea, I’d never have thought to already try it on!

Please log in or register to post a reply.