Judicious July: Just starting over!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Verano
    on

Today I looked in the mirror! Three years ago next Friday, July 5th, was my ‘first day’ following BSD. Lots of water has passed under the bridge since then, with good weight loss and reversal of my diabetes but I’ve become rather complacent.
    So new month, new start, new goals. My first goal is to lose the 21lbs I gained during 2018, after complacency set in. I have a big anniversary this October and WILL be back in the same size as I was at my last ‘big’ birthday in December 2017.
    BUT, I need help!!!
    Well, support really.
    So I appeal to anybody, who fancies an extra challenge of just 31 days, to join me, just for July, to make that extra effort, that we may need now and again to stay on track.
    See you tomorrow!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi V !
    Good to hear from you and your determination to make a difference in July !
    As you know I stay active on the Weekly thread and the Positives but I would be very happy to join you during Judicious July. !

I have done pretty well since I began in September 2018 ( 4 stone down) but I seem to be stalling and my thinking is that I am allowing a little/ a lot too much dairy, dark choc and nuts to creep in !!

I would like to see if I can kickstart the discard and get to 11 stone /70kg by September . I don’t feel any pressure but I know that being accountable would be useful and I could of course support you in any way I can. You have had great success but I agree that complacency is a risk for us all even if the mindset is quite sound.I haven’t had any ‘binges ‘since I began but I realise I am prone to excesses even of good foods !
    I will be on holiday from the 9th to the 16th July but a week of delicious fish and veg in Sardinia won’t derail me and I will be following the threads.

You can do it V ! Remember the health challenges you have overcome . Your surgery was major !
    So I am definitely in !!
    Wendy x

• posted by luciaslife
    on

I lost 2 stone for a wedding in 2017 but have steadily seen much of that weight return, due to complacency and more than a few magnums. So I miss the energy filled life I had and feeling comfortable in my own skin. So to do this again with some support would be great. So I’m in Wendy and Verano

• posted by emgem
    on

Hi V!
    I’m in the same boat, although I started about two months ago and then had a bit of a lapse over the last week (or two!). I’m very much wanting to start a fresh and get back to feeling good. So glad there’s a thread of us starting together from today!

• posted by 7babies
    on

I would love to join you. I have done 2 weeks of the Fast800 and lost 8 pounds. I took a break and today began again. I would like to have someone to talk to about this journey. I haven’t said anything to my family. They never notice what I eat as long as their favorites are available. 🙂

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi V,
    I do miss the challenges that there used to be on the forum, with people setting targets.
    I would like the accountability of setting out that my target is 2 x 42 or 3 x 36 hour fasts a week for this month. –

I think I am still strongly in the IR camp at present, just going up to 30g of carbs in a day is enough to kick me out of ketosis and it takes me a couple of days to return to it. – So I want to try regular fasting to see if that improves things.

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning!
    Great to see you Wendy, luciaslife, emgem, 7babies and JGwen.
    So here we are half way through 2019 but at the start of a new month and a new week.
    I’m planning on using ‘good judgement’ in my food choices this month as I really lost my way in 2018. I’ve re-lost 11lbs of my gain and now have 16.4lbs to lose to get me back to my weight on January 1st 2018, 18 months ago.
    I am in exactly the same ‘eating mode’ as you Wendy with a small handful of nuts instead of a few, an extra few squares of 90% and a ‘chunk’ of cheese rather than a measured amount. No ‘white stuff’ and very rarely anything too carby but just too much of the good stuff and some ‘wine creep’!
    7babies I started very much like you without telling anybody but I’m really not convinced that I did myself any favours. I know how you feel, but I think I may have had more success if my family had known. I’m sure I’d have had support even if they had thought I’d lost the plot. Maybe something to think about but in the meantime we are all here to support you.
    I agree JGwen I think sometimes challenges really help and I think yours are really ambitious. I just about manage a 16/8 day! But I know it’s in the mind really. I wish you the best of luck.
    Luciaslife and emgem I think we are the norm with periods of eating with discrimination and days/weeks when things just seem to fall apart.
    This challenge is just for one month, 31 days and this is DAY 1 so let’s just do our best, just for today!
    So my goal for this month is to weigh and record everything and get close to that 16lb goal.
    Have a good first day!

• posted by luciaslife
    on

Verano i’m Going to try and do the time restrictive eating like you though maybe 14/10 my first day or two. I find once I’ve got past breakfast time and I am at work there is no opportunity to eat until later so it’s fairly easy. My risky time is mid afternoon, I’m tired and sorry for myself and there are biscuits laid out in the staff room. And from then “I may as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb” and thus the diet collapse happens for the rest of the day.
    7babies, I assume that means that you have 7 kids, no wonder they don’t notice what you eat life must be pretty hectic all round. I feel I will tell my husband when I’ve managed a week. I know a bit cowardly, but I’ve failed more times than I can count so I hope this forum will help. Thanks Lucia x

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi V old friend! I am in too! A 31 day commitment will suit me well too! As I said to Allie at the weekend, I have cracked maintenanc, except I still have 6 stone ish to shift! It will be our 2 year anniversary in 6 werks time of discovering bsd so I’d like to get to 14th Aug and be below 15 stone! What a lot I’ve learnt since then and the great friends made. Here’s to the 1st of July and a re-boot!
    Kazzeexx

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

I’d like to sign up for Judicious July too! I have not been setting targets recently, but it would be good to have a mini one for this month; in my case, 3 kgs and/or inch off waist and/or reducing “sporran” (it used to be apron so there has been some improvement and hopefully more can be achieved!). I need to watch wine creep/soft cheese (also alcohol removed wine – no fuzzy head but too much sugar/carbs!). All nagging welcome (in fact positively encouraged) and here’s to us and comparing notes at the end of the month!

• posted by Baxter
    on

Good morning everyone and happy new month.
    Lucia and 7babies – I have told the people that I live with (husband, son and girlfriend) but no one outside. Partly because I’ve done plenty of diets before where I’ve lost 2-3 st (30-40lbs) and then stopped from unsustainability, boredom, lack of progress or life getting in the way. The close family are great, and much to my amazement and delight, my husband decided at the outset to join me in LCHF. He had put on about a stone over the winter, working away and staying in hotels, and he was carrying all the weight around his tummy and moobs. I was surprised as in 37 years I’d never known him to have a carb free meal, he loved sandwiches and potatoes, but I pointed him him in the direction of The Obesity Code by Jason Fung and Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes which I had read and were both on our kindle library (he loves science). He has really come on board, no bread, pasta, rice. The only heavy carbs are at breakfast as he won’t budge on cereal atm, so I know he won’t be in ketosis, but I’d rather he was partly on board than gives up. He’s lost over a stone now in the last month, and has a couple more to go.
    The reason I’ve not told “the outsiders” about my changed WOE is that I don’t want to have either people acting as food police around me, or commenting or questioning on how it’s going every time we meet. Obviously when I’ve lost about 4 stone, they will notice (and it will take that long as I’ve got quite a way to go) but I plan to just say I’ve cut out bread, cakes and sweeties like my granny told me to do back in the olden days. That’s the plan, anyway 😁
    Off to work now, hope you all have the best possible day x

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Kazz! Good to see you. I think that these forums have kept me low carb even if not great weight wise. I’m sure without them I’d have probably regained all the weight I lost! The strangest thing is that back in March my HbA1c and cholesterol were the lowest they have ever been even though I’ve put back some weight????? Anyway I don’t want to fall any further behind. Hope you have a successful month.
    Sixturkeys glad to have you on board too. I just know July is going to be a good month for all of us….. wine creep/ large portions/magnums and all manner of nasties will be avoided …. we just need to stay focused.
    Luciaslife somebody wrote quite a while ago, can’t remember who, that if you got caught speeding you wouldn’t then go on to jump red lights, smash up your car etc., or words to that effect . So why be hung for a sheep! Settle for the lamb and move on quickly! I also find that on some days when I miss breakfast, after lunch I’m just really hungry, but not everyday. So TRE doesn’t always work for me either. Problem is I can’t tell which days are going to be ‘hungry’ days. Any thoughts on this problem gratefully received!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi V, great to see you around. I am very similar to you in that I keep my BG, cholesterol and triglycerides well within normal but dont worry too much about my weight. I still dont but would like to shed a few pounds before I go on a trip on 16th July to 19th. So just a short visit to Burgos in Spain and I will be straight back on it. So if you dont mind me taking a few days out but joining you for the month. So 2 weeks to get serious. Although I have just noticed you have posted in the Fast 800 pages so maybe not for me. I will just look on for now and see what you are all getting up to but fasting and TRE is not for me. Too many hypos when I have tried before.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi S-g good to see you. I just posted willy-nilly without really looking where I was posting. You follow whatever method you fancy. I certainly won’t stick to 800 but am aiming at around 1000. I don’t fast and TRE is something I only dabble with now and again. Stick around please!

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Hi Verano I would also like to join you please. You helped me out so so much at the beginning of my journey, thank you. I would like to give up alcohol for the month and then hopefully hit my target of a 12lb discard before my holiday in August. This will be great to be accountable and set some targets. Thank you for setting it up and great to see you posting. Birdy

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Good to see another signer-upper: Birdy, here’s to a dry month! This morning I was on 70kgs exactly. A “round” figure to start the month off, so 3 kgs would take me to a smidge over 10 1/2 st. Last seen in my 40s! I am going to hide the scales until the end of July and rely on jeans and new skirt to give me an idea of inches….I turn 58 in late September and it would be great to get to 10 stone (and maybe size 10) by then. Watch this space and Go Girls!

• posted by happyitsworking
    on

Verano, I would like to join in for the one month. My plan is to try to stick to 50 grams of carbs and between 800-1000 calories . I’m hoping to lose 10 lbs. by Aug. 1st.

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Thank you 6T and cheers! ( I raise my glass of sparkling water to you) I think we can both hit our targets! We can encourage each other, I must admit I have been enjoying the Gin a little too much lately! Here’s to a month of being angels. 💞🦜

• posted by Violinist
    on

Hi Verano! I am joining all of you for the month. I hope to say on July 31 that I have not had any alcohol for these 31 days. I am going to get on every Florida morning this month and declare my victory from the evening before. I do eat low carb easily, u til you put a wine glass in my hand. Then the first thing I think of is ordering pizza in. I will see you tomorrow!!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Well done on expressing your resolve and determination, Violinist ! Wine does nothing for me (apart from give me a bad head !) but I can’t say the same for nuts, dairy and dark choc so I intend to curb my consumption to see if it will kick start my discard ! I am already two days in and declaring victory for my self control 😉 I will be cheering you on , and any other abstainers !

6T I am hard on your heels at 76 kg and am aiming for 70 . I am size 16 now , some 14s and as you know size M in Gudrun Sjoden ( yeah !!) . I can’t imagine ever being size 10 and 10 stone. Go for it ! I assume July is not giving up the fags month ?? ( Only teasing 😉 )

I have set up a new weekly thread which hopefully will run alongside this July one. I am aware there have been fewer reports of weekly weigh in results lately . I for one tend to weigh myself only very occasionally but I will be darting between the two threads xx

• posted by Verano
    on

Hello! Birdy, happyitsworking and Violinist! It’s so great to see so many people committing to ‘just one month’.
    We all have our personal challenges and the best we can do is ‘our best’ and no more. Today I have been weighing lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber! …. I did that when I first started three years ago….. it worked! ….. I’m going way back to basics!
    I hope that Day 1 has been a good one ……. but if not Day 2 is just around the corner …..draw lines, start again, no more car crashes …… one day at a time and we’ll get to July 31st with huge steps forward towards our individual goals.

• posted by Bruno
    on

Hi Verano,
    I’ll like to join in too.
    I started the BSD in February 2016, and lost over 2 stones by the end of the 8 week period. I carried on with the diet and went on to lose 4 stones in total.
    I managed to stay the same weight until about a year ago. I was in a job I hated and could afford to retire early at 60. The plus point of early retirement is every day feels like the first day of School Summer holidays but the downside is I’m not as active as I was, I don’t sit around all day as I’ve got plenty to do plus I’ve got a couple of active Gun Dogs. My weight has crept up, gaining around 20 pounds and hating myself for it. All my clothes are now tight on me again. I’ve tried to get back into it but only seem to last a few days whereas the last time I did the BSD I found it fairly easy.
    Hopefully this is the push I need.

• posted by luciaslife
    on

Have had my evening meal and have managed to stay within the 800 calories, and yes I’ve been weighing lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber too today. It is only day one but it’s the first time in a long while I have made it through the day . It has been such a help to start this one month with so many others, so thank you all. Hoping to lose 8 lbs in this month. Wine is not my weakness, sugar, biscuits, cake and ice cream do it for me, so I am hoping for a sugar free month and lots more energy. Lucia x

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Great thread, Verano, I’ve missed the longer monthly challenges. Please count me in. I like the weekly threads, but sometimes it can be quite a short time to hit a target and can be frustrating if I end up not losing anything, or like this week gaining 2.5kg in water weight and then losing only 1.7kg of it so far.
    For this month, I would like to start trying 2x 24 fasts and maybe even 3×24 if things go well. I feel like it is what I need to do at the moment. I have 2 more weeks of getting home very late and it is just such a pain to cook meals in the evening right now when I’m trying to keep my place in pristine condition for potential viewings. So I will eat breakfast and lunch and then not eat again until lunch the following day. I also have a modest goal of losing 2.5kg as that would get me down below 90kg for the first time in ages. My first fast is planned to start tomorrow after lunch.

• posted by Elky
    on

Hello everyone, I wasn’t going to join this challenge but I keep reading what everyone is planning and it’s kind of inspired me. I have two long-planned “non judicious” days later in the month, but I will sign up to to try to be judicious for the other 29 days!

For the other 29 days, I will aim for under 20g carb, under 800 calories. I will aim for OMAD on non-fast days except Sunday, with at least one 48 hour fast per week. A longer fast may happen if I feel good at 48 hours. I am already discarding really slowly, even though I’m pretty new to this WOE, so if I could discard 2.5 kg by 1 August I’d be pretty pleased, especially given my two “non judicious” days.

1 July was good for me: OMAD, well under my carb limit, and 3 whole calories to spare lol

Good luck everyone, Elky

• posted by Kafin13
    on

I’m going to lurk. Technically I’m joining but my weight has been stuck at 175.8 or 175.6 or 175.4 for many weeks and nothing I do shifts it – so my goal is just to not give up.

• posted by Elky
    on

I think that’s a great goal Kafin, I don’t think there’s anything “just” about it at all. Popping in and saying you’re still here, not giving up, is a real achievement when you’re stuck on a plateau – cheering you on 🙂

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Thank you, lovely Elky xx

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Verano, I’d also like to join this monthly challenge if I may. My challenge is to get back into a regular, consistent exercise/activity routine. I’m at a point now where I’ve lost the weight I regained in 2018, my diabetes remains in remission, but my activity and exercise routine has been really sporadic this year, mainly because I’ve spent quite a lot of time away from home. Apart from a few days away mid-month, I’m home all of July so this challenge is perfectly timed for me and I definitely need the accountability it provides.

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning everyone!
    Hello arcticfox, Bruno, Elky, Kafin13 and Jennie10 great to have you all join us. We are now 17 let’s hope we can still be 17, or more with new joiners, by July 31!
    There seems to be a theme running through this thread for a few of us in that 2018 was a year when we became complacent and started to regain some weight. Now is a great time to start to reverse that trend so that by the end of the year we can go out on a high note having discarded those gains.
    Elky and Kafin13 slow discard can be a real problem because it becomes so demoralising. One past member, JulesMaigret, used to up his eating now and again if he stalled and that worked for him. Maybe cutting back even further isn’t the answer. Possibly if you throw in a day of maybe 1000 to 1300 or so calories it will throw a switch in your bodies. Just a thought.
    I think a few of us have some days this month when we can’t be ‘judicious’, mine are tomorrow until Friday this week. I think if we waited until we had a completely free month we would never start!
    So hope Tuesday is a ‘judicious’ day for us all …. I’ll still be weighing lettuce!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Good morning, V.! Hello, gang! This challenge is exactly what I need right now 🙂 I got a very rude shock on friday when
    I went in for a routine check up with my dr. He informed that my b.p. was up 15 points, and I had regained 10 lbs! After
    maintaining my weight loss for 2+ years, I’m disgusted with myself. I must have been living in denial to not notice what
    effect the wine creep was having….I desperately need a dry July to restore my faith in myself! I hope you all will help me
    with some accountability, too. I’m going back to the weighing and measuring, and hoping for a strict 800cal/20gcarbs
    for the month. I’m really delighted for the good company available here. Thank you, V.!

• posted by Verano
    on

Allie! Hi there and welcome to our little group. We all stumble at one time or another but don’t be disgusted just be determined. You can and will do it. There are a few of us who are suffering from ‘wine creep’ but it can be remedied. Good to see you.

• posted by Violinist
    on

Looks like I am in good company with our dry July!! Good morning all!

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Violinist. Fizzy water, ice and lemon then for me tonight!

• posted by Violinist
    on

Morning Verano!

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Morning all glad to see many posting on here.

I am two days on from my very naughty weekend of carbs! I didn’t eat in excess but I still ate processed carbs and I am paying for it in more ways than one!

So the first thing is I am craving carbs and I haven’t craved them since a week after starting this woe! Second thing is my knee I injured whilst skiing in March had really improved and I had hardly any pain! But yesterday and today it is swollen and painful and I seem to easily hurt it without actually doing anything! I think part of it is down to wearing small wedges and heels over the last two weekends but I also know it is excess fluid! Thirdly I cannot get into fasting and I so need to as I feel so much better in myself and my knee! For me at the moment the struggle is real!! It also proves to me that I am doing the best I can for myself and I can never go back to carbs.

I am working in the cafe today and the smell of toast is driving me mad!😂. God help me😂. I will resist though! Scouts honour ✊. Hope you lovely people have a great day. Birdy 💞🦜

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Oh Birdy, toast is just one of those mmmmm smells. Sorry about the knee . Allie, after discarding 10 stone, I am sure 10lbs will be a doddle for you, and also hopefully your BP will adjust (tho as you probably know, just one reading is not conclusive, and if you were weighed first, that might have put it up a bit!). I have been through the freezer and made a meal plan for the next seven days. True to form, no counting for me, just going on “instinct” and what seems to have worked well in the past. So as well as hopefully (at the end of the month!_) seeing some results on scales/tape measure, I will have a tidy freezer and saved on groceries as in the immediate few days I really only need to get in some spinach, mushrooms , cucumber and salad (there is quite a bit of that on the meal plan….but in various combinations). Good Day 2 to all!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hello everyone. Just reaching out to everyone to say keep going, don’t give up, whatever challenges you are facing. I am on my 3rd nut ,choc and dairy free day to see if it makes a difference. I need healthy nuts in my life but for now they cannot be . I want to be healthy more than anything.

Oh Birdy, sorry about your knee…I totally agree that diet and inflammation are linked and let’s hope things settle soon . We have to make mistakes to learn ( teacher talking 😉 ) and the weekend carbs really proved that. We know you will soon be back to your normal routine .You have totally adhered to this woe and you have proved you know exactly what to do. I have no doubts whatsover that your wine creep will be managed too, dear Allie.
    Dear Kafin/Kirsten….you are so brave , constantly battling the stall and other issues.Just remember you are never alone xx

• posted by chunkyd
    on

I’d like to join you all if I may?
    My story is I did the 8 week BSD from 1st Jan 2017 and lost about 24lbs. I then eased back a bit but with the intention of continuing the weight loss (I had about 42 lbs to lose tbh). By 1st June I had lost 35lbs and was very pleased with myself, the most I had ever lost and I found it relatively straightforward. I managed to maintain within about 5lbs for 6 months but then started a downward spiral, probably as I my mother was very ill and passed away at the end of 2017. By mid 2018 16lbs up on my low weight from the previous year and by end 2018 I was only 2lbs down on my original starting weight from 1st Jan 2017. I started up the BSD again on 1st Jan 2019 and lost 9lbs in first 2 weeks, but slipped back into bad carb and wine habits, so as of 30th June I was almost back to square one. I have resolved to start again, and bought the fast 800 recipe book, so that I could add to the repertoire I had 2 years ago. Ideally I will carry on beyond the 31st July, and on to the end of August (holiday in September), but I’ll focus on end of this month first! Good luck to all.

on

Hi everyone on day 2. There seems to be a common theme among some of us in that we started, did really well and have now got complacent. I need to go back to that day 28th June 2016 (thought it was 23rd but maybe that was another event). Before that a quick look at my reason for starting the BSD. A few days of BG results – 20th 211, 22nd 177, 24th 140 (thought that was good), 25th 185, and 26th 187. Started diet and shift on LESS than one week – 2/7 140 (again thought it was good) 3/7 120, 4/7 107, 5/7 70 (blimey thought I was going to die), 6/7 105 (perfect). Big reminder to myself, this is why I am on this diet. It virtually saved my life. There was an overall loss of 13lbs in 8 weeks and a total loss of 27lbs. While I still have BG readings of 107, 89, 115, 78 and 77 over the last 5 days that are now my norms I have seriously let my weight slip. Was 81.9 and now 79.5 – a total maintained loss of just over 5lbs. Yes I am overweight and I am also very short at 4ft11inches. As we have no visitors since May I thought I would have a good run at it but NO, I have just not got back into it and have actually gained a few more pounds. Can I also say that that the second set of numbers are why I found this so easy to stick to for the full 8 weeks, not a calorie over, not a carb in sight and deffo no alcohol.

So like the rest of you I am going to be serious about this for exactly 2 weeks before I go away for a few days. I dont crave carbs and I dont crave sweet things but I do have wine creep. I can say NO completely then hubby opens a bottle of red so I open a bottle of white. Difference, his wine lasts him 3 nights, mine lasts me one/two, so I have to open another at some point during the weekend. Okay, that’s the story and I put myself in your hands and hope we can all support each other through this.

If you are wondering how I have such a good memory for numbers. I have a little note book that I fill out daily for my doctor to look at, just one line gives Exercise, Weight, Date, Insulin Units and Results – so at one line per day this book is still going strong after 4 years. As the French would say ‘bon continuation a tous’ – good luck to all.

• posted by Violinist
    on

Sunshine girl, I just love how you put that “I put myself in your hands”. Love it!

on

Violinist, I will be uplifted by the hands and support of the others. Although I wont hold them responsible if I fall – but I’m not going to.

• posted by Verano
    on

Welcome chunkyd seems like you are joining a growing band of those of us who have lost and found weight! At least we are all still trying and I guess that’s the important thing.
    S-g good to see you decided to join in. There are quite a few of us who now seem to have ‘wine creep’ but for me it doesn’t lead to more food ….. I seem to manage that without any added stimulus! Anyway enjoy the journey to the 31st.
    Ahh toast! Birdy I must admit it’s one of the few smells that really tempts me but I do manage to resist. Sorry to hear about your knee. Sometimes we just need a little reminder of how unfriendly refined carbs can be for our bodies but at least we know how to put things right!
    Wendy nut and chocolate free days for me are almost unheard of! I’m trying to just have 10g of walnuts with my yogurt and one piece of 90% a day ….. so far so good but it’s only 2pm and it’s so hard!
    Very impressed 6turkeys! I’m afraid 8 eat on ‘impulse’ or what I ‘fancy’ which really isn’t the best way to ….. note to self ….. make a plan!

• posted by Madmare
    on

Hi
    Can I join to please?
    I will be starting on Saturday 6th as I am on holiday and its not going to be easy to start here.
    Like many of the posts above I had initial success with the BSD about 4 years ago and lost a stone in weight and kept it off for a year.
    It then see-sawed back and forwards 5 lbs on, 5 lbs off for about 2 years then all came back. I have been trying to lose 5lbs of weight since Christmas and even with the BSD it has been a real struggle.
    The eureka moment came the week before I came on holiday. I noticed one of my co-workers who I am starting a new project with was looking really well and had lost a lot of weight. I was trying to tactfully compliment him on this (we worked closely together about 2 years ago so I know him well) when he explained that about 8 months ago a routine blood test had shown his blood sugar levels were scarily high (he is only 40). He did some research – bought The Obesity Code by Dr Jason Fung, dropped his weight by 45 lbs reduced his blood glucose levels to normal levels and dropped his blood pressure by 40 points. I bought the book that night – devoured it at one sitting and realised what was going on. I have become insulin resistant and that is why it is so hard to lose weight and why I am hovering on the cusp of being pre-diabetic.1
    So I did my first 36 hour fast. I assumed that it was going to be grim affair as I had tried a 24h fast and cracked at 6 hours.
    This time it was much easier than I expected. I did feel very hungry at lunch time but coffee sorted that. I thought I might feel weak or fuzzy but I felt sharper than I have for ages. Best of all I lost 2.5 lbs and I dont seem to have put that back on even though I am on holiday!
    So after all this rambling I am going to join JGwen and commit to three 36h fasts per week. I am looking to lose 12lbs in the next 4 weeks.
    Looking forward to joining you all
    Madmare

• posted by wendleg
    on

Three days ( I started on the 30thJune ) without nuts and choc, V !! I can do this ! I am an all or nothing kinda gal, I am afraid. Moderation would not work right now… I can’t take any of my Lindt 90% to Sardinia as it would melt !!! I will NOT go shopping for it when I am there !!

Hi Madmare ! You have made a great start with the discard and the fast ( check in on the Fasting thread too if you wish ) Try not to overdo the carb load while you are still on holiday so you will feel good on the 6th . Enjoy yourself all the same !

• posted by luciaslife
    on

So many great posts here and lots of positivity, really feeling buoyed by the group. I know it’s only two days in but ditching sugar and upping my fluid intake, and yet my joints are less painful. I am a year off 60 and have been getting more and more achy so I’m really hoping this diet will help inflammation as you are birdy76.

Good luck everyone x

• posted by PositiveSpin
    on

Hi all. I’ve also re-started this month having originally started in January and losing around 9 kilos by March. Then I was weigh-laid by a family crisis that just had me reaching for comfort food. Anyway, that has all come and gone and I finally got the courage to step back on the scales and the damage wasn’t as bad as I thought – it was bad, just not as bad. I am already down 2 kilos as well this morning (Wednesday) so that’s very encouraging.

My aim is to stick with the food and calories, not go crazy on exercise yet and see where the scales end up in two months. Ideally of course love to be back to were I was in March but will need to work on my coping skills because it was crazy how easily I just found it to go back to eating carbs/sugar. I’m not sure I can be a regular poster here but will try to check in as often as I can.

Cheers.

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Yay to everyone! 😊 so many of us now so just a general congrats to everyone for great starts to July and hoping we all have a good month. For those of us in the US (Allie and I’m not sure who else!) Independence Day is this Thursday and will be a challenge for me. I’m going to a friend’s house because I think it’s important to say yes to invites given from the heart and especially good for me to get out but I don’t want to fall down like I usually do on these events that revolve around food. So I’m bringing a salad that I can eat (along with meat on the grill) and I’m trying my hand at a low carb dessert – chocolate truffles made out of avocado (I’ve made choc mousse with avocado and it’s amazing) so that I don’t feel deprived which can lessen the enjoyment for me. I don’t have a problem avoiding alcohol so not worried about that and they have a pool so if I’m in the water, I’m not eating! And if I slip up, then it’s straight back on the wagon again the next day and who knows, Verano, maybe a few extra calories might be the trick to get me off my stall!

• posted by Violinist
    on

Kaaaaafffffiiiinnn!!!! I am here in Florida!

• posted by Dreamscometrue
    on

Hi everyone

I’d like to join too! Am currently on the Road Trip thread which is due to finish mid-July. I’m gradually nearing my target of 133lb (since Jan ’17!!) and had hoped to get there by the end of the road trip – July 12th – which is also when I leave my job. Currently veering between 135-137lb so prob not going to make 133 by the 12th, but when I finish work I plan to really get back on the wagon exercise-wise and finally get to target. Or – knowing me – I may just sit and drink wine and watch box sets !!!!!

So I need some fresh inspiration to keep me on track. Good to see some familiar names on here and I will catch up with all your posts and get on board over the next few days.

Good luck everyone X

Please log in or register to post a reply.