Izzy's 8 week diary :)

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by science monkey
    on

Hiya Izzy,

I hope you feel better soon, but I reckon that’s the after effects of a Maccy D! And in a very late reply to you; yes, I am of the Jockense persuasion, but I left Scotland in 2000 and since 2011, I’ve been in Belgium and I love it here ๐Ÿ™‚ You nailed it about the BSD too, in that it is as much or as little as you want on the website and you can get the mutual support you want on the web without paying a weekly fee for platitudes that don’t work for you.

Cornish Claire, welcome aboard and I hope you reach you goals. In my experience, the first week might be a bit of a stretch as you get used to the way of eating, but you can get past this and then it becomes plain sailing and you become used to doing the diet and way of eating.

I’ve dropped a bit more weight; now almost 11kg down in 5 weeks, but I seem to have hit a plateau (exactly the same weight for 5 days now……). Anyone have any suggestions?

Science monkey (ook ook)

on

Hiya Izzy,

I hope you feel better soon, but I reckon that’s the after effects of a Maccy D! And in a very late reply to you; yes, I am of the Jockense persuasion, but I left Scotland in 2000 and since 2011, I’ve been in Belgium and I love it here ๐Ÿ™‚ You nailed it about the BSD too, in that it is as much or as little as you want on the website and you can get the mutual support you want on the web without paying a weekly fee for platitudes that don’t work for you.

Cornish Claire, welcome aboard and I hope you reach you goals. In my experience, the first week might be a bit of a stretch as you get used to the way of eating, but you can get past this and then it becomes plain sailing and you become used to doing the diet and way of eating.

I’ve dropped a bit more weight; now almost 11kg down in 5 weeks, but I seem to have hit a plateau (exactly the same weight for 5 days now……). Anyone have any suggestions?

Science monkey (ook ook)

• posted by Izzy
    on

thanks Patrice and Science Monkey. As for advice for the plateau… just ride it out. I’ve had two now and the weight will move again soon. Just make sure you are on top of your portions and logging everything you eat honestly, drink your fluids and try to get a few extra walks if you can ๐Ÿ™‚

on

Tyvm for the advice, I approach this like an experiment and weigh everything and calculate the calories for every meal.

In fact, one of the reasons I went on the BSD is that it is grounded in science and supported by pre-clinical and clinical data. There is even a valid underlying hypothesis for why the diet works, for all those that love journal articles and metabolic pathways ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Science monkey, I hypothesise that the plateaux are when the visceral fat is shifting so possibly the measurements alter, but not necessarily the weight. This is what seemed to happen to me when my waist was shrinking, my ketostix told me I was burning fat, but the weight clung on.

However when the plateaux happen, you do have to KEEP TELLING YOURSELF THIS!!

๐Ÿ˜‰

• posted by Brisbane67
    on

Hi Cornish Claire and all other
    This is my morning to start too and like you things couldn’t be more grim in the weight dept. I’d like to think I wasn’t starting BSD out of desperation but a bit of me is scared how quickly weight can pile on, particularly as one hits middle age! I only logged in to the forum four days ago and it’s a little treat to read about people’s daily lives!

So best wishes for your start too CC and we will see each other along the way

B67

• posted by Izzy
    on

Welcome to the newbies ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ve been distracted as my son got up early so haven’t time to post a proper update, I’ll be along later though.

Have a great day everyone.

• posted by CornishClaire
    on

Hi Patrice, B67, Science Monkey, Izzy and all!

Thank you all so much for your encouragement – I found the first day a bit tough but also quite exciting in the sense of trying new ideas and was of eating. I had quite a bad headache yesterday but found that drinking more water helped with this. Izzy have you been doing the 800 cals programme for the time you have been changing your eating? I love this forum its so inspiring and great to get the support from like minded people ๐Ÿ™‚

CC

• posted by Brisbane67
    on

Hi CC
    My head is pounding! Crying out for its sugar fix! i agree, I love the posts and find its nice to think of a group all around the world working away at this.
    Hope the head improves
    B67

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Hey Izzy girl! Hope your day goes really well and sorry your son got up early!

Hey newbies! Welcome!! Izzy and I started about one week apart and it’s great to have the support of all of us in here! She inspired me to start my diary in here also which really helps me.

Hang in here and don’t get discouraged. We all have plateau weeks but keep on it and you will start melting (what I call it).

Happy day to all!
    ๐Ÿ’œ๐ŸŒท

• posted by Izzy
    on

Hi Happy ๐Ÿ™‚ *waves like a mad woman*

Have a paracetamol and a big drink for the headache sufferers and remember that these effects DO FADE and they fade within days for most people along with the hunger.

I’ve been doing 800 since I started yes, I’m on week 8!! It has passed so quickly too, never dragged at all.

My stomach cramps and yuckiness is gone thankfully and aside from still feeling a little tired I’m fine today. I will definitely think twice about any future Mcdonalds food! I was working close to home so I took the opportunity to pop home for my lunch and a cup of herbal tea ๐Ÿ™‚ it’s so quiet no one is here.

So I had yoghurt and strawberries for breakfast, mince and cabbage soup for lunch (and a slice of carrot cake) not sure what dinner will be but my husband is bringing home shopping later and we will choose from there.

I’ve been pondering a few ideas… I was very jealous of my daughter and a banana smoothie she made recently. I’m wondering if I could make a smoothie myself with some yoghurt, almond milk, strawberries and ice cubes. It might make for a nice breakfast change. Also on Elana’s pantry website she has some recipes for some breakfast substitutes that I might like to try too.

https://elanaspantry.com/gluten-free-porridge/

https://elanaspantry.com/granola/

I’d need to check out the carbs and calories, but I’m liking the look of both of those and if they are not too high I might try one of them over the weekend ๐Ÿ™‚

Right I gotta go back to work ๐Ÿ™ catch up later though.

• posted by mrstabond
    on

Brilliant reading this Izzy – I have just started this week & seem to have dropped 4 pounds since monday which is bonkers – don’t really understand how this can all be water as I am guzzling loads of water – still! I have just discovered cocoa & chilli teabags at my local health food shop – might help with your chocolate craving as they are carb free.

• posted by Izzy
    on

I’ve discovered there is a healthfood shop in the nearby town (about 20 mins drive) I might pop along for a snoop over the next few days and see if they have anything interesting ๐Ÿ™‚

Welcome to BSD mrstabond! and well done for your loss so far, best not to try to make sense of it just accept it works ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Izzy
    on

I’ve started the process of making the granola recipe. I’ve substituted macademia for mixed nuts, and pumpkin seeds for mixed seeds. the recipe says it is 12 portions, and this works out at around 300 calories and 19g carbs/portion. So I am going to divide mine into 24 portions, and have it with yoghurt instead of fruit, or maybe with a bit of almond milk. I will see ๐Ÿ™‚ it needs soaked tonight and then baked tomorrow so I won’t get to try it until saturday really.

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Izzy
    have you been feeling better today?
    Hope the granola goes well – does it make bars, or just like a crunchy cereal?

I bought some pre-grated cauliflower from tescos this afternoon (partly I can’t find the attachments for the food processor, and I’m going away next week, and didn’t think I’d get through a whole cauliflower), so I’ll have a play with that tomorrow.

• posted by Izzy
    on

yes thanks Frog, my stomach much better but I did get a headache this afternoon- gone again now though.

the granola makes crunchy cereal ๐Ÿ™‚

I enjoy cauli rice you can just steam it in the micro in a little water, which is ok if you are smothering it with sauce, but if not I prefer it fried up in a little olive oil.

I need to cook our dinner (it’s getting late) but I am procrastinating planning garden work lol.

on

Hi all,

Another day on a plateau (identical weight and fat%) for the 5th day in a row. I got myself a fitbit, so I know I’m moving and groovin’ and burning between 3000 and 3500 kcals a day. Hmeh, it’ll work itself out (or not ๐Ÿ˜‰ ).

We tried the cauli-rice and it ended up with bits everywhere, but it was good with the veggie curry from the recipes in BSD book. But yesterday I roasted a pork loin covered in garlic, thyme and oregano and roasted some red peppers, onion and courgette with the pork. I had a last minute inspiration and chucked in some cauliflower florets and roasted them too. They got slightly browned on the outside and they tasted great and the texture was nice too.

I got inspired and made some grown-up baked beans the other day. Sweated off some kolbasz (smoked paprika sausage); chucked in chopped onions, garlic and peppers sweated them off. Followed that up with some cumin, cayenne pepper and a drained can of haricot beans. The last thing to go in was some passata to make the sauce up. Really quick, easy and tasty ๐Ÿ™‚

Nighty night y’all

• posted by thepolly
    on

Hi all, welcome to the newbies.

Izzy, mc*** makes me vomit too but that is because of the company as well as the plastic stuff they sell as food. Glad you are feeling better and welcome to the post 8 week bit. I’m still thinking about other diets as I’ve about another 2 stone to lose.

For all those who hit plateaus, I’ve also been following the 800 fast version. My longest weight loss stall was a couple of weeks I think. Just keep at it and the weight will eventually budge.

I’ve bought the cookery book from this diet and she has some lovely ideas and there are lots of free recipes on her blog too. Have linked it cos some of the breads look interesting. https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/?tag=/tagLowcarbBread&title=Lowcarb%20Bread

I like to talk about my depression when it strikes, I find it cathartic and as you said the more we talk about these things, the better for everyone. I had a minor falling out with my friend yesterday as she wanted to go on a longer walk and said I should take snacks in case I have a ‘hypo’. This is something I’ve never had in my life and I knew she meant sugary crap. I said that I’m only eating once a day at the moment and it sort of went on. I took some dates eventually but the whole episode made me not want to bother going out at all today. Really glad I did but these sorts of confrontations – even if they seem minor can really make me want to hermit again ๐Ÿ™

Had rib eye steak with 2 mozzarella balls (date was up yesterday on them so thought I should eat them lol), mushrooms, spring onion, garlic and cherry tomatoes, all cooked together in beef dripping. Very yummy and blood sugar stayed nice and low today.

On waking was 7.1… then before food about 6.30 this evening it was 4.6 and after dinner 5.4 so things are sometimes very good in that dept and at other times, rubbish.

Hope you’re having a great day today xx

• posted by Frog
    on

H Science monkey
    I’ve been mixing plain beans with baked beans to dilute the carbs – I’ve been thinking about making beans from scratch with chopped tomato or passata, I’ll give it a go when I’m back from holiday.
    I also contemplated getting a fitbit, but decided that I’d stick with my pedometer – it may not have all the whistles and bells, but gives me a comparative measure of how active I’ve been day to day. I also can get irritated by things on my wrist – that could change when they’re slimmer! Do let me know how you get on with it.

Glad that you’re feeling better today Izzy – I found an article on the BBC food website that compared different methods of preparing it – frying or oven cooking did sound better. I hadn’t thought about what to have with it yet – not a huge fan of meal planning a week ahead!

• posted by Izzy
    on

Science Monkey you’re doing all the right things I know it’s hard but just chill, be patient and it will start to move again ๐Ÿ™‚ Your food sounds nice I want to come for dinner!

Hi Polly, I’m not quite post 8 weeks, just in week 8. Monday is the last day so almost there! I’m thinking I will mostly stay on 800 but allow one or two days per week of not counting calories but still keeping carbs low.

I’m sorry you had the confrontation with your friend, these things are hard and I know what you mean. It only takes a little thing with one person and I want to hide as well so I know how that feels. I like to disappear into my bedroom and just be by myself. As for the blood sugars, even if they are only better half the time, it’s still more than before ๐Ÿ™‚

Frog I love my fitbit! but honestly it really is just a glorified pedometer lol. I’m a little geeky though and I like the fitbit app. I log all my food on there and my weightloss and I like looking at the numbers and the graphs.

here is a thought for you guys that I had today… I’m mathematical by nature so I often think about numbers. If a person is 200 lb’s (example for easy counting) and they lose 10 lbs that’s 5 %. 1lb is 0.5% Jump to a lower weight of 100 lbs (again chosen for ease of counting and demonstration only) 10 lb’s is now 10% and 1lb is now 1%.

My point is that every lb we lose becomes a bigger percentage of what is left than the previous lb’s. So no wonder it gets harder when people are closer to their targets, but in theory each lb gone is a bigger deal, and again in theory each lb more noticeable.

well I’ve probably put you all to sleep haha.

Dinner by the way was bacon, egg, tomatoes and onion.

I’m going to try my morning shake idea for breakfast tomorrow, I shall report in with results ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Izzy
    on

Morning all ๐Ÿ™‚

My son came in and woke me at 0740 which was fine as that’s a lie in here lol. I’m up before 0600 on work days. However he did interrupt a dream that I wish I couldn’t remember so I hope the memory of it fades soon. We have chilled together in bed ever since as his Daddy is at work so it’s just us and he is watching a movie on my ipad. I’ve been downstairs three times as my son is a hungry monster. First time I brought us up a cup of tea (he likes a cuppa haha) and a chopped up apple for him. Then he asked for strawberries, so back down for a generous helping of those, then he wanted grapes and I thought well… I think that’s enough fruit for now! So he is now eating a rowie (a ridiculous high fat/high calorie flat bread thing popular in this area-I hate them)

We will get up soon and start the day properly and I will try my shake experiment. I have a pain in my side for some reason that is annoying me so hopefully it will fade soon along with the crappy dream.

It’s a rainy day here for the moment but we will be out later. I saw an idea on facebook to use a cheap tent to make a kids sandpit, so I ordered a tent and bucket and spade which will arrive tomorrow and I’m popping to argos today to pick up play sand to fill it. My mission this summer is to sort our garden out better, it will be good exercise and just nice to have it nicer ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m not planning on spending much it’s more a bit of hard work that’s needed rather than investment but there are a few things I will buy too.

Also later today my daughter will be back from her residential school trip so we will wander up to school to walk home with her and hopefully she will have had an amazing time. I loved all those adventure type activities when I was young too, canoeing, abseiling etc. This was her first taste of it and I really hope she has enjoyed it.

I’ve just had one of those moments where I realise how lucky I am in my life. I’ve had plenty shit things happen but I have my kids, my husband and family, enough income, a comfortable (if messy) home. I’m happy with my lot.

• posted by Izzy
    on

I made the shake with frozen raspberries and I will definitely add that in to my breakfast choices ๐Ÿ™‚ recipe added!

Now… off to make the granola… the recipe says for ‘live’ granola to bake a long time at a lower temp. alternatively a shorter time at a higher temp but not live.

I’m guessing that’s to do with presumably healthy bacteria? I’m not well versed in these things. I think I will attempt the long version anyway ๐Ÿ™‚ I will see how it goes.

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Izzy
    Is it a recipe from one of those paleo diet websites, or maybe written to appeal to those following it, maybe? They have guidance on not cooking at high temperatures.

If you have the oven on really low, there’s a recipe for kale crisps on a recent thread – or will the tray of granola fill your oven?

• posted by Izzy
    on

it’s this recipe Frog.
    https://elanaspantry.com/granola/

and I’d probably have room but don’t have kale and unlikely to find any in our local shop lol. I’m not sure I fancy them but I might try it sometime because you never know and it’s worth trying new things I think. That’s what I keep telling the kids anyway!

• posted by Izzy
    on

Actually I’ll be doing the quick version… I thought it said cook at low for 4 hours but actually it’s 24! I can’t have the oven out of action that long as I’m needing it to cook a chicken later.

• posted by CornishClaire
    on

Hi All!

I am definitely a BSD diet convert – day 3 and I feel great – headaches gone and a clearer head and bags of energy. I had the no carbs bircher this morning – I’m not really a raisin fan but it was nice enough! I made myself the beetroot falafels last night to have for lunch at work today – I didn’t have a food processor though only a nutribullet so mixture a bit sloppy but still worked out ok! I have lost some weight according to the scales its 8lbs but I’m wondering if they need a new battery!?! as that seems quite a lot in such a short space of time – although I have noticed I am not so bloated. Managed to fend off the craving for a nice glass of vino with my partner last night after a stress day at work – I made my shopping list on ASDA website for week 2 to keep me busy and focussed. I found this was really useful for this week as I did click and collect to keep me away from buying anything naughty – so only have BSD things in my fridge.

CC

• posted by Izzy
    on

Hi Claire you may well find your scales are spot on! many people do lose a lot especially in week one and you’ve done all the right things. Good idea to avoid the temptation of the shopping! I’ve never fancied making the bircher.

I had to make the granola in two batches as I only have a small blender, it’s in the oven now and smelling yummy!

Hope it turns out well!

• posted by Epspecially
    on

Yummm Izzy that Granola looks great! Will have a try too.

So glad it’s Friday! :-)))) Going out for friend’s birthday dinner but not planning on undoing all the good week’s work – just having a great time! (well, that’s the plan anyway!) It helps when scales go down, it’s helps my will power a lot…

Hope you all having a good Friday ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Izzy
    on

It is smelling amazing! after 45 mins it still seems too moist though so I’ve popped it back in. Some of the recipe comments do point to people baking it longer to get the drier consistency of granola so I’ll play it by ear.

I hope you can stay on track at your friends party, there may be nibbles like chunks of cheese and that sort of thing that would be ok. Alcohol seems the main thing stay away from that lol.

• posted by thepolly
    on

I think a buffet thing would probably be the most problematic. Too much pastry stuff (which is probably what would be challenging for me). For dinner out there is always the chunk of protein and a big salad/veg option ๐Ÿ˜€

Have a lovely night out, Epspecially. All the chatting with friends will help anyway.

Izzy, that granola does look yummy, I’d have problems with portion control maybe. Although I had pistachios last night and managed to just eat 30g so that’s good

Might try making some flax/sunflower seed crackers today

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Hi Izzy,

Hope all is going better and that the smell of granola made you happy!! Isn’t it funny how smells can make us feel better – aromatherapy on our own!!

More power to you as I stay away from any carbs except fruit or vegies. Just too risky for me!!

Happy day everyone!!
    ๐Ÿ’œ

• posted by Izzy
    on

Hi Polly I hope your crackers turn out well ๐Ÿ™‚ the granola portions are certainly going to be small. but it tastes yummy ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ve divided it into 3 tubs so it is easier to guage the portions, each tub having 8 portions (assuming half sized portions from recipe) so although it is still small it will be a good 2 tablespoons per portion I think. Nice to top some yoghurt, or to mix with a few chopped berries and have with a little almond milk… or it’s nice just to eat as it is, so sometimes I might take a portion out just for a snack.

Hi Happy ๐Ÿ™‚ I don’t know why but I can control it all ok. The granola although high calorie is really mostly nuts anyway! I struggled a little at lunch as my son had a lovely slice of seeded bread and it looked so nice… I’d have been ok if I’d got around to making crackers but I didn’t have anything to dunk in mine! I just ate the soup and made do though!

Lunch was another happy accident. I had a left over chicken breast that needed used up so I popped it in a pan with an onion to fry then added chicken stock, a carrot, a can of tomatoes and lentils and blended it into a yummy soup! I have 5 portions ready for the freezer ๐Ÿ™‚

dinner is going to be roast chicken as my daughter complained recently that I never do it anymore. It is because I used to do it in the slow cooker but my big slow cooker broke and we’re not planning on replacing it as I don’t use it as much with BSD food.

My daughter is home from her trip and seems to have had a great time, enjoying Kayaking most of all. I’m off to get the playsand now so I will have it here for tomorrow and tonight I will get the corner of the garden ready for it ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by HappyLife
    on

I give you 10 hearts for being able to juggle the carbs!
    ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ

• posted by Izzy
    on

hee hee thankyou for the hearts ๐Ÿ™‚ I was thinking about it earlier and I think I know what it is.

If it is something low carb, albeit something *like* carbs like the carrot cake etc… I’ve made it, I’ve counted it and I’m ‘allowed’ it in the portion controlled way.

It would be much harder to stop if I ate bread when I wanted to at lunch time. OR at dinner tonight when I made the most delicious looking roast potatoes for the rest of the family and made sure there were none left to put on my plate! I know I’m ‘not allowed’ those things, and I know that I’d find it hard to stop if I started. I even considered having a bite of my sons banana earlier but decided I best not… it would be too easy to just pick up another and eat a whole one.

I do miss roast potatoes and bananas, but my health means more.

tonights roast chicken was served with spicy brocolli (from the recipe section here) some carrot and onion and a helping of home made barbecue sauce (it was an experiment – it was ok but not the best I prefer my sauce I have with hunters chicken)

I thought I had posted this already but it was still sitting here unsent lol

well I’ve been out trying to clear a gravelled area for my sons sandpit tent tomorrow. I’m not quite done but my wrists are hurting so the rest will have to wait. I don’t think I bought enough sand either but I can go and get more tomorrow if I need it, at least if I get the area cleared, the rubber base mats pinned down and tent up it’s pretty much good to go. Hope I can get it all done. Hope tomorrow isn’t raining!

I’ve just had a portion of granola with strawberries, it was lovely. I will see how it lasts and if anyone else eats it and next time make a smaller amount as 24 portions is a bit much to hope it won’t go bad before it is eaten.
    My calories are low today largely due to my lunch soup only being 85 calories lol. I’m only on 700 cals even with the granola so I might have me a nice almond milk hot choc for bed.

I’m feeling more myself again, hope it lasts.

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Glad you feel more yourself now!! Visualize it sticking!!
    I did half 1/2 cup of roasted potatoes on the trip and still lost weight since I stayed in my carb range. The restaurant had that or creamed corn so I chose the potatoes.
    I am so proud of you!!!
    ๐ŸŒท๐ŸŒท๐ŸŒท๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’™

• posted by Izzy
    on

thank you Happy! Mutual pride and admiration back at ya x I think potatoes over creamed corn may have been the better option but I don’t really know lol, but I’m sure if I ate some I would want more. I miss a nice filled baked potato as well. Long term once I get my weight down I think I might have maybe one day a week where I allow myself something like that and watch to see if staying low carb the rest of the week is enough to keep my weight stable.

How weird it is to have the belief that I can and will get there.

Typically it is raining! But that won’t stop me sorting out my sons stuff I will just get wet.

I was woken from strange dreams again this morning by my son, disturbing ones but unbelieveable ones so I can let those go faster! I struggle with the ones that *could* happen. Give me a nightmare with vampires etc and it’s no bother I can dismiss it straight away.

I also need to change my bedding again today. I did it yesterday and then this morning I spilled my daughters cough medicine on it ๐Ÿ™

Now to decide what to have for breakfast… my daughter is making a banana shake so I might replicate yesterdays one with some strawberries instead of raspberries.

• posted by Frog
    on

hi Izzy – no granola yet?

on

Hi Izzy,

Rowies? Next you’ll be saying “Fit like ma loon?”. I went to uni in Aberdeen (Furrybootstoon) so I know about Rowies, althought they called them butterys. I always thought of them of salty, failed croissants, but loved eating them.

So I persevered and I have now slightly dropped from my plateau (down 0.7kg in two days), but last night I got fashed over some work stuff and took it out on a big bag of mixed nuts. As binges go, it isnt too bad; not so high in carbs and I was still 1000 kcalories within the calorie burn my fitbit said. It should just delay some weight loss by a day or so based on past experience and a wee bit of metabolic theory.

I saw a lot of folk talking about breakfast. I never do breakfast anymore; just a litre of water and a strong coffee and it works for me, but not my other half, and it fits in with some metabolic studies they did on rats. If you restrict when you eat to 8 hours a day, but eat the same amount of food, in rats it lead to better fitness levels and superior metabolic markers (better glycaemic control, lower cortisol etc). But hey, horses for courses ๐Ÿ™‚

I hope you’re all having a fandabbydosey!

Sciencemonkey (ook ook)

• posted by Izzy
    on

Hi frog! yes I had some last night and ended up with some this morning. it is yummy but need to be strict about the portion!

Breakfast was eventful… I couldn’t do a shake as I like a bit of vanilla extract and its run out. Then I thought I would try the coconut paleo porridge recipe I posted the other day but it didn’t go well. It seems one can’t make it in a small blender like mine… it jumps out and gets everywhere burning your hands on the way! (I’m fine no damage) I probably could do it with the stick blender in a bowl but by then with bits everywhere I couldn’t have said how much of what was left in it ๐Ÿ™ so I decided to try fage and granola. It was nice but not as nice as I hoped ๐Ÿ™

I think I will stick to having the granola on its own or like I did last night with a couple of chopped berries – it was a lovely snack like that!

Well I’ve been lazy so far today need to go get sorted and get outside to make the sandpit tent! It has all arrived now so no excuse not to get it all done!

Have a lovely day everyone ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Izzy
    on

Hi science Monkey I hate rowies I never liked them! I was brought up further north in Petehead and for reasons unknown they call them ‘cookies’ there! I now live south of Aberdeen 30 miles or so. I Don’t enjoy city living prefer the country!

Well done for restricting your rage to a bag of nuts, I think in some ways there is still achievement in there rather than failure! And woohoo on the scales moving! May those numbers plummet to the depths of healthyness!

• posted by Frog
    on

glad the granola recipe worked well!
    Just as well you weren’t rushing out to work with the breakfast fiascoes – but that’s what weekends are for.

I just snacked on a slice of vogel toast – I put the remains of the loaf in the freezer when I started BSD. I only had one slice, with butter, and it was delicious, and should be easier to still manage less than 50g of carbs. Pre BSD it would have been at least two, and probably with marmalade or cheese. No raging desire to stuff more – and I think I actually felt hungry before I had it – bit of a first for me!
    I had poached egg and asparagus for breakfast, which was less than 90 calories; low calories not by design, it was just what I fancied. Most days my breakfast is around 200-250. I’m about to go out, and it seemed too early for lunch, should be fine through til about 3pm now.

Have a good day

• posted by Izzy
    on

well done for controlling the toast! Hope you have a lovely day ๐Ÿ™‚

Well I got the rest of the gravel cleared, the rubber mats pinned down, the tent put up and the sand in ๐Ÿ™‚

I have a Happy son and he has a tired Mummy!

I made these for lunch…https://elanaspantry.com/pizza-muffins/ and they were good, quite hight in calories at 144 each though. My son has demolished two and the fussy daughter doesn’t like them grrr. I’m going to see how well they freeze as I’m always on the look out for other things that can go in his lunch box and these would work well.

Well I’m gonna finish my cup of tea and then I need to start on the mess that is my kitchen and decide what is going to be for dinner. Tonight I think I will try to plan my weeks food.

• posted by Izzy
    on

I’m still procrastinating with another cup of tea and my son is on his 3rd pizza muffin lol

• posted by Izzy
    on

dinner was hunters chicken, one of my favourite dinners, and courgetti.

I’ve mostly chilled this evening whilst my husband watched the football and my favourite youtube paint tutorial artist has put up a new one that I’d love to try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC7Xqcg6jeg

I love her video’s and using them has helped me paint better than I imagined I ever could. She is such a positive woman and full of fun and spirit.

it’s good in a way as since I kind of fell into my slump at the beginning of the year I haven’t painted, or written anything for months so it’s good that desire is returning. However so is my anxiety I felt it on the up again earlier ๐Ÿ™ Painting is something that works well because I really need to concentrate to paint, but it’s hard to find enough time to do what I want. Really need a couple of hours at least spare to make it worth getting all the stuff out, and it needs to be after the boy is in bed.

Having said that, my husband is home tomorrow so I could lock myself in our bedroom. Maybe.

Well I’m tucked up watching more x-files so I will check out for now and check back in tomorrow.

• posted by HappyLife
    on

That painting is gorgeous, I can see why you love doing it!
    The thing about painting, or even drawing and coloring books, or doing ceramic painting my has been I do, is that it uses both your left brain and right brain which pretty much makes it impossible for you to fret, I think about your grocery list, problems with the kids or husband, etc.
    My has been and I just went painting ceramics for four hours because we had to drop our dog off to get groomed and we had four hours free because it’s my day off!
    Today’s food went great for me I pretty much eat the same thing every day but I pick things that I love so it doesn’t bore me at all.
    Heading to pick up her dog now, he’s a miniature silver poodle, and there were heading out to one of her favorite places for dinner to share a salad and some shrimp and this really weird cheese that they put on the grill but it’s delicious!
    Thanks for all your support and I wish I could magically take away any anxiety you feel!
    If you ever want to try hypnotherapy for it let me know… We can do it on skype. It works amazingly for pain and I use the same technique for clients who have anxiety.
    Wishing you the best always!
    ๐Ÿ’œ๐ŸŒท

• posted by Izzy
    on

How lovely of you to offer, thank you. If I struggle going forwards I may well take you up on that offer!

I feel ok again today it’s just so up and down just now. I’m grateful to have not had a complete relapse though which I did fear was going to happen a week or two ago. In Feb I could barely function with anxiety and all I wanted to do was sleep with exhaustion.

Now I feel anxious off and on, but I still have energy to do things like sort out the sandpit tent yesterday (my legs hurt today) and cook lots of things, and just ya know- live a little. I couldn’t do that a few months ago. All of that considered I’ve come a long way forwards. I had some CBT counselling which was helpful.

I feel able to rationalise lots of it, I talk to myself like a lawyer lol, the feelings are real but many of the worries are not.

I do have some of those grown up colouring books too! I can’t risk that either when my son is around haha he can’t be trusted not to steal my pens. He will get older though (far too soon) and all of those things will be easier. It is true though that it would be easy to bring that out on an evening once he is in bed than painting so maybe I should try that. Thanks for the explanation of why it works – I knew it worked but I didn’t know why! I am awesome at doing two things at once and painting is the only thing that I can really only do the one thing lol.

I have a small announcement to make… I’m two days off the end of my 8 weeks and this morning I weighed in at 11st 8. This is officially 10% gone! So I made it! 18 lb’s gone, feeling very happy with that. 11 st 7 is my next target so should get that soon as well then it will be moved to 11 st ๐Ÿ™‚

Ideally I would like to get down to 9 st, with a view to staying under 9st 7. 9st 2 brings my bmi to 25 but I find going lower in the past I really feel too lean. I have quite a physical job as an engineer so I think I probably carry some muscle.

This morning I made another almond milk raspberry shake, adding an extra 1/2 cup of almond milk. It only added 13 calories and made no difference to the taste, but it meant it filled a whole pint glass. Feels like such luxury to sit having that for breakfast! 198 calories well spent and very satisfying. I’m sure I could save on calories by making it just with fruit and milk and it would be nice enough, but the yoghurt makes it nice and thick and it adds the fat and makes it filling. calories well spent.

I didn’t make my food plan yesterday but I’m off to do it now. Last week was ok without a plan- I didn’t go off track but it did mean frequent visits to the shop.

back soon my friends ๐Ÿ™‚ thank you as always for the support x

• posted by Izzy
    on

haha I still haven’t made my food plan but I have been busy. I’ve made two batches of crackers as I didn’t make any last week and missed them. I’ve made a batch of these…https://elanaspantry.com/paleo-tortilla-chips/ and a half batch of this…https://elanaspantry.com/cinnamon-pecan-brittle/

The tortilla chips are for tonights dinner.

The pecan brittle is a small treat to celebrate my 8 week graduation on Tuesday ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ve worked out the calories and portions and I can’t afford more than 1/4 of the brittle lol but it will be a nice celebratory thing.

I’ve had some of the chicken and lentil soup I made the other day for lunch, and we’re having chilli for dinner (with tortilla’s so excited!!)

Any ideas I had about eating the other portions of tortillas over the next few days is out the window as my husband likes them and wants to have what I don’t eat with his chilli but in some ways that’s fine. Having them once in a while is probably for the best.

Now I need to go sort out the mess I made :/

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Yippee yippee yippee!! You lost 10% of your weight!! Congratulations on reaching your first goal!! So exciting!!
    ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•
    Hope you enjoy your tortillas and your brittle on Tuesday when you celebrate!
    I am so happy for you!
    ๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒป

• posted by Izzy
    on

thank you thank you thank you ๐Ÿ™‚

The tortillas with chilli was a nice change having not had any for a long time, they don’t quite pass for doritos but they were nice.

The pecan brittle is safely in the freezer along with lots of the carrot cake I made before haha, I don’t recall ever having so much restraint!

Realising that I am likely to continue to bake things a lot rather than buying stuff has made me realise my blender is somewhat inadequate. It is one of those stick blenders (which is great for soup) and it has a small 500ml container attachment that I’ve been using for the baking and for smoothies/shakes. There is a slightly broken bit on it and I know it’s on its last legs, it’s too small as I have to do some things in batches or it doesn’t fit, and the coconut porridge attempt the other day that couldn’t be made….so I’ve ordered a new blender ๐Ÿ™‚ It wasn’t an expensive one so not a huge extravagance, but better suited to the things I am doing and planning to do.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VonShef-Multifunctional-Silver-Smoothie-Warranty/dp/B00Y2QHY02/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1465765202&sr=1-1&keywords=vonshef+4+in+1

it looks like a good deal. There are some ridiculously expensive ones that I would love but can’t justify the cash! I don’t have it spare and honestly not really convinced that the fancy ones are worth the money. The one I’ve been using I bought about 10 years ago and it’s been well used and lasted well for being cheap and cheerful at the time.

I’ve been thinking that the kids eat a moderate amount of cereal bars and that type of thing and there are lots of recipes online for oat ones. Not great for me at the moment but fine for the kids in moderation. So I plan to make good use of the new blender one way and another. I’m excited, which is utterly ridiculous! lol

Earlier today I did lock myself away in my room and got my paint out! and I had a go at following the tutorial I posted. It’s not my best effort and I may try again from scratch but I enjoyed it and that is the whole point.

Now I am tucked up in bed whilst hubby watches the rest of the football. He actually doesn’t follow football much so he only bothers with it during the world cup and UEFA so I don’t mind leaving him to it as I’m not interested. I’m watching Harry Potter – I felt like a change.

I have my food planned for the next 7 days so it should be a good week, although next weekend I will allow one day without counting calories. I have decided properly now that I will trial my plan of 1-2 days of not counting calories per week, I will give it two weeks and then see how it is working before deciding what to do after that. I see no point in committing longer term I think we are all so different and just need to try things out and see what works. Regardless I am committed to sticking with the basics of BSD.

Goodnight my lovelies.

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi – the blender looks good Izzy
    I have one that is giant, using it will practically fill my dishwasher, so its sat in a cupboard for years – it was my Mum’s, an original 1970’s one that I persuaded her to buy when I was a teenager, so I’ve been thinking about getting something more compact – let me know how you get on with it!
    I’m sure you’ll have fun when it arrives.

Please log in or register to post a reply.