Interesting things with vegetables?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi everyone!
    I’m wondering what people are doing with their vegetables these days? Do you have any really good ways of preparing your vegetables as either a main or a side dish?

I picked up a recipe yesterday on tv for cauliflower. You coat the top of a full head of cauli in yoghurt with garlic and curry powder and bake in the oven at 170 for 45 mins. I’m thinking if I cut the cauliflower into quarters I might be able to cut the cooking time to 30 mins.

What else can I be doing to have a wider range of veg and keep them interesting?

Thanks in advance.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Janet, was that on Saturday Kitchen? I was catching up with posts to this site and vaguely heard something like that.
    Lemon juice and toasted almonds on top of broccoli?
    Carrots and caraway seeds
    Cauliflower and chopped walnuts
    Lemon juice in melted butter on top of green veg

When I recall some more I’ll post them ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi Judith, yes it was saturday kitchen, new host of course. Thanks for these ideas, they sound great and are my kind of skill level!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Caraway seed go well with cabbage too. I like it cooked til almost soft, fry it with butter and oil and caraway seeds. Sometimes I fry lardons before I add the cabbage and caraway.

This works well with brussels sprouts too. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

I like courgette fried for a few minutes in olive oil, the when cooked add shreds of crispy bacon and lots of grated parmesan ๐Ÿ™‚

Sometimes I fry garlic and chilli, then add the courgette, when its cooked I add a dollop of full fat cream cheese.

Both are yummy!!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Thanks for those ideas Judith. Will have to try them.

• posted by SaraB
    on

I spiralised some courgettes, then gently stir-fried them with garlic and chilli flakes, they were a very good side for a pan-fried salmon fillet.

Also, I roasted cauliflower florets in olive oil, garlic and parmesan, and they were divine (although quite high cal due to the parmesan, I probably wouldn’t use as much next time, and you could get away with less oil too).
    http://southernfood.about.com/od/cauliflower/r/Roasted-Cauliflower-With-Parmesan-Cheese.htm
    (Mine got a bit burnt too, so I’d probably drop the oven temp too.)

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Thanks everyone, there are some great ideas here. This will be a thread I can keep coming back to for good ideas!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Love the sound of that cauliflower SaraB – will definitely be trying that.

Please log in or register to post a reply.