I'm losing it…help

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Onamission
    on

I really don’t want this to turn into another diet that slides off a cliff again! I had a great first week, lost five pounds, would have easily been seven if I hadn’t picked a bit at the weekend but since then I’ve been rubbish at sticking to it. Any advice? I know it’s really only me that can sort it out and stick to it. I’m not even hungry anymore but feel my old ways coming back. I just need to get back to it but if anyone slipped a bit and got back on it, I’d love to hear from you. Thanks

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Hi Onamission. Try this. Get a pile of cans/packets out of the cupboard. Total weight of cans to equal weight you want to lose. Stick them somewhere you can’t fail to notice them. Now put to one side tins to equal weight already lost. Congratulate yourself. Now decide a reasonable aim for the next 7 days… somehow seeing something tangible helps me to get back on track. You CAN Do this and we are here to support you.
    Go for it and stay on here so we can all keep in touch xxx

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi
    This is carb withdrawal cravings, your body has been using them as fuel for so long, it’s got lazy and doesn’t want the extra work involved in burning fats so it’s screaming out for them.
    The good news is it won’t last very long and I can say hand on heart I can sit in a room full of people eating chocolate and it wouldn’t bother me. In fact I don’t even think about it as food now, others will tell you the same.
    You’re not far from that point yourself now, keep going, you’ll be glad you did.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Onamission

You’ve made a great start. Don’t think about the ‘it could have been seven’ bit, focus on the positive. You HAVE lost 5lb and that is a good number to build on. Forget that you had a little blip at the w/e – so did I actually – but don’t self-sabotage by wasting time beating yourself up. Put your energy into planning what you’ll be eating in the next day or two. Do you need to get anything in any particular foods to help keep your menu interesting and satisfying?

Remember the battle is as much mental as physical, so be kind to yourself, give praise for getting to where you are and look to where you want to be and how you are going to get there – the rest doesn’t matter.

Make sure to keep posting and make good use of the threads on the forum, there’s heaps of advise, tips and support here, so be sure to make the most of it.

Gook luck and I’m sure we’ll be seeing you post some good results again soon.

• posted by FoFi
    on

Very good advice above, but I think everyone is different, even after 6 weeks I do look longingly at others when they have ‘nicer food’ than me. (Everyone seems to have nicer food than me.) I’m not hungry.

My worst day was 14 days in and instead of 800 kcal I ate 1900. Which is terrible, and yet it is probably still a deficit. So I don’t worry about it. If my 8 weeks becomes 60 days instead of 56 that isn’t so bad. But I do log everything and as I log something I sometimes put it pack.

You should work out what your weakness is and look for a strategy to get round it. I have no problem with sealed packets, but once it is open I find it very hard to resist. This is true not only of biscuits and crisps but also houmous and cheese. So whenever possible I buy individual packets and pots of stuff. The supermarkets sell 4x40g packs of houmous, which is what I buy, along with individual pots of yoghurt. I put as much of the rest out of reach in the freezer, and then get it out the night before I want it. If the cheese is just for me I cut it into 20g pieces and freeze them.

I also think that aspartame makes me want to eat so watch out for low calories drinks, or something similar that makes you want to eat (even if you don’t feel hungry).

Edit: Crossed with SunnyB

• posted by Denise47 Jones
    on

Onamission – your name says it all! You can and will do this. It’s 8 weeks out of your life that could extend your life by years. The cravings will lessen, and as they do, your self belief and confidence will too. I also lost 5lbs in my first week and have around 2 stone to lose – for every lb I lose I put £1 in a sealed tin, when I have lost my 28lbs I am going to buy myself a bottle of champagne and drink it all to myself!!!!!! Keep going and use the forums.

• posted by Shrinkydinkyman
    on

Hi Fofi
    I am curious to what you meant by nicer food you see others eating.
    I have a different view of other’s food now.
    When I see people stuffing themselves with sugary carbs, I don’t feel they have nicer food than me. I think they have food that is going to potentially make them obese and possibly type2 diabetic!
    I am loving the food I am now eating. So much variety flavour and choice. And knowing that it is now helping me to live rather than slowly killing me only spurs me on to continue with this way of eating.

I guess everyone has their own methods and techniques to get through the 8 weeks, but I can honestly say that I am personally fully committed to my goals. And once I reach them maintaining this healthy way of living.
    We only get one life. I for one plan to make the best of it.

Best wishes and success to everyone on this journey to better health and well-being.

Kind regards Shrinky.

• posted by FoFi
    on

Hi, I know that much of it isn’t healthy. I just see people eating twiglets and I don’t even like twiglets and I want some. I don’t eat them, but still they look good. I have a ten day break from this diet coming up in a week and I am looking forward to it. (I mean a break from the Fast800, I will still be high fat low carbs BSD way of life.)

• posted by Matrika
    on

FoFi are you diabetic, or do you have a blood sugar problem? If you are a great way to get a grip and cut through your envy of what others are eating is to tranpose an image of yourself minus a foot over the picture of what they are eating that is attracting you. Works fast.

• posted by FoFi
    on

Matrika, no I’m not diabetic, and hopefully if the weight keeps dropping I am less likely to become diabetic. I can see that those with a worse diagnosis than mine might be more motivated.

My cravings have calmed down quite a bit and I am going to point my finger at Diet Coke (presumably the aspartame). When I started Fast800, for the first four weeks I allowed myself one diet coke per day occasionally two, as I had always drunk it (possibly to excess), and I don’t drink tea or coffee. Over the last few weeks the number has crept up so that last week it was more like 3-4 drinks per day.

Anyway DC free since last Thursday and cravings for food have subsided again. I still long for things I can’t have, but not as strongly. So far none is easier to stick to than one.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi FoFi
    you are the kind of person we all love to see,a non diabetic who is doing something to prevent it’s onset.
    If only the message could be put across at school age about eating the right way, we could take massive steps towards making diabetes a thing of the past.
    Knowledge is power, we need to get the message out to our kids to help them all to a brighter future.

• posted by CurlyGirl
    on

Hi FoFi,
    I can relate so much to seeing people with ‘nicer’food. Every time I am at an event with buffett style food I end up with ‘plate envy’ when I see what others at my table are eating. This is despite the fact that there’s still plenty of every thing left for me if I want it!
    Luckily for me something seemed to click about 3 days in to this plan and I can now prepare meals & even desserts for my hubbie & kids, then happily sit down with my bowl of salad or yoghurt. I decided to look at my Type 2 as an allergy to refined carbs. That helped me to stop blaming myself and just accept it.
    Only thing causing me cravings were the diet sodas I was ‘treating’ myself with. Have since cut them out too.
    Not hungry and no longer craving. Haven’t felt that way in years.

• posted by FiFiP
    on

Hello lovely people, I empathise with ‘slipping off’, my husband gets invited to lots of very formal functions, the food is delicious & the wine even more so……… I decided to take a photo of myself, naked, in all my tubby glory, I made sure my stomach was emphasised in the most unflattering way possible. When I am tempted I take a look at that photo & tell myself there’s still a way to go…….

Today is cauliflower soup day because we went out last night & I wasn’t very good as far as the wine was concerned….. So I am being very restrictive for the next 48 hours, that will teach me. I am still losing weight, and am at my ‘thinnest’ in over a decade, but don’t want slip-ups to feature too regularly as there’s only so much soup I can drink!

I am determined to prove to myself that I can do this and that it will need to become a way of life, I’m not into sweet things so much, it’s carbs in savoury food that are my hurdle and those in wine, so I am revisiting all my cooking habits and am learning about ‘new’ foods like coconut & gram flour.

Good luck ONAMISSION, where there’s a will, there’s a way.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi CurlyGirl
    Isn’t it amazing how the habits of a lifetime can be turned around in just a few days ?
    I’m over the moon with my results but the most extraordinary thing for me is not just the lack of cravings, it’s the fact that I don’t fancy any of my old food at all. I would have killed for chips and chocolate not too long ago, now I get put off just at the site of them.
    Welcome to the forums and don’t forget to let us all know how you get on.

• posted by CurlyGirl
    on

Hi Bill1954,
    Thanks for the welcome.
    This is the first forum I’ve ever joined. I’ve been haunting the forums for a couple of weeks. Congrats to everyone on here. Your posts have really inspired me to see this through.
    Also planning to ever so subtly (and sneakily) lower the carbs in the foods I feed my family. T2 is rampant amongst my siblings & I want to make sure the next generation doesn’t pick up our bad habits.

• posted by Patsy
    on

If you’re not hungry, then it’s habit making you eat. Apparently it takes 21 days to break or make habits. You’ve proved to yourself you can do it for one week – that means you can do it for another week. After a while it should get easier.

• posted by Shrinkydinkyman
    on

Have to agree with you Patsy. I find some days I have to remind myself to eat as I rarely Hungry on this diet, sorry lifestyle! I do plan meal’s ahead each day, but some days I don’t have the inclination to eat.
    But I do. I believe it’s very important not to skip meals. And I always enjoy what I make myself.

• posted by FoFi
    on

Hi CurlyGirl,

I know what you mean about events and food. However, last week I think I cracked it (for lunch buffets at least). I took a high protein meal replacement bar and as everyone was queuing for the buffet I went and ‘made a phone call’ and ate my bar. I was able to stay reasonably far from the food for most of lunch time. I did ate a small cube of Brie as I was passing the pudding table later on. But I wasn’t hungry and no one noticed.

I am interested in your thoughts on carbs for the rest of the family. I am just concentrating on reducing sugar for now. If I can improve their palate so they need food less sweet that will be a success. I have a thread on this elsewhere on this forum. (Started after Bill’s post above.)

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi FoFi.

I live alone so it’s not an issue for me normally. But my twin 8-year old granddaughters visit for holidays. Fortunately they don’t eat many sweets anyway, but eat cereal, bread, pizza etc. I did notice the adverse effect a Subway kids meal had on them – they were hyper, nearly running round the walls. They’ll be visiting me soon and I’m hoping they’ll eat more low-carb food while they’re here. At least it’s a start!

• posted by CurlyGirl
    on

Hi FoFi,
    Thanks for the tip at the buffet table.
    I’m completely new to forums of any kind. Can you tell me how to find your other thread?
    I’m in Australia (so probably sleeping while the rest of you chat).
    Had to order the book online as I couldn’t find it in any local bookstores. Plan to order more copies and have them sent to my sisters ASAP.
    Most of my kids are healthy weight & extremely active, but my youngest (at 11) is already putting on weight around his middle and doesn’t like to move too much. He eats the same as the others, but is always asking ‘may I have another …’. It feels so mean always saying NO. Hoping I can change his habits quickly.

• posted by nikkioaks
    on

Hi FiFiP

know what you’re saying about the formal dinners, as the wine is often very good, and I find does make it easier to chat, and the food is lovely. managed to get through one last night leaving the potato and half the carrots, and not worrying about whatever was in the
    ‘jus.’ Had the 3 little raspberries from the desert which felt like a real treat. one of the hardest things for me is leaving food – was one of those brought up to eat everything on the plate.
    great to have a plan to deal with the slipping off. it will happen to all of us, and having a way to get back is a big help.

• posted by CurlyGirl
    on

Thanks FoFi,
    I will move this over to that thread.
    Cheers

• posted by hashimoto
    on

What a brilliant motivating idea julia18! 🙂

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Fofi I think you are right about none is better than 1. If you buy a pack of cans to have one a day there is too much temptation to drink more in a weak moment 🙂

• posted by Loz Online
    on

Hi CurlyGirl,
    I’m in Australia too. I bought my book from Big W. They had a few copies there. I think they were selling fast though. I had a woman ask me to point them out to her as i was walking to the registers.
    Hope that helps… 🙂

• posted by FoFi
    on

I think that also there is something about none that is simple. If it is none versus some then why not 2 rather than 1? Strangely for me I have sat next to a half open box of cans for the last 7 days and for the last 3 or 4 days have had no trouble resisting. But I have decided none so I haven’t had one. My problem is that I am bored with water (3+ litres per day some of it fizzy) rather than having any real desire for the other stuff. Looking forward to the future with the odd tomato juice or miso soup – I would rather eat the calories at the moment rather than drink them!

This weekend I start drinking wine again (none since January). This I have missed and it will be interesting to see if I can keep it down to a couple of glasses per day (for 10 days back to Fast800 after that).

• posted by hashimoto
    on

FoFI I think if you tried 2 glasses of wine on 800 calories you would be well and truly drunk – I have found that I get pretty tipsy on a small shot glass of wine now!!! Well, it saves money!! 🙂

• posted by FoFi
    on

Sorry, I won’t be drinking on 800. Today is my last day after seven and half weeks I’m having a 10 day sabbatical on to the Mediterranean way of life. I always intended to do seven and half weeks, we have a family event this weekend. After this 10 day period I will return to Fast800 for 3 or 4 weeks. I will be interested what happens to my waist and weight over the 10 days.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Fo Fi – I got it wrong! on normal calorie days you won’t be a lightweight like me lol 🙂

• posted by Bill1954
    on

FoFi enjoy the break, you’ve earned it
    Bet you wish you could nip over to the med to do the eating plan for real.

Please log in or register to post a reply.