I think the NHS are beginning to learn……….

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Barrynk
    on

My original posts talked about seeing my GP about the diet, the GP sent me to a dietitian who agreed for me to go on the diet, but only if I saw the diabetes consultant first. As luck would have it, my first appointment with the consultant, after waiting for 12 months, was a week away.

I was most surprised to find out that the consultant was very enthusiastic about me going on the diet, she told me to halve my insulin and stop the Invokana, but to carry on with metformin and sitagliptin.

I have decided to do the diet with shakes, and my GP has prescribed me with Optifast, so today I start the diet (fingers crossed).

I am dreaming about being able to come off of all my meds completely, especially the insulin, which put all of the weight around my midriff.

Here’s looking forward to being diabetes free!

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

Hello Barrynk I will watch your progress with interest but I am a little confused as to why you would not only give up proper food but then be prescribed food in the form of liquidised food of some description. The result may control your blood sugar but it will not Mediterraneanise your diet or educate you in the ways needed to keep to the normal weight if you you succeed in getting to it. Others used the method successfully but I have not heard too much on their follow up after the Prof Taylor trials. Good luck anyway and welcome to the forum. You will learn a lot in a short time if you are anything like most of us on here…

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Barrynk
    Now that’s the way to do it! Bravo you & Bravo your medics 👏🏻 👏🏻 👏🏻
    Give it all you’ve got. This is your chance, grab it 😀 👍 Drink lots – 2 – 3 litres, it really helps. We are here for you.
    Eureka

• posted by Barrynk
    on

Hi SkyWalker,

Thanks for your response, I am very prepared to deal with the Mediterranean diet once I have achieved my target weight, and am able to do without my meds. I wanted to do the diet with shakes because I thought it would be the easiest way for me to go, and less hassle for my new partner initially, but after the 8 weeks or so we have both planned to go the Mediterranean diet way. Although my main problem has always been the wine………… Thanks for your support.

• posted by Barrynk
    on

Hi Eureka,

I’ve psyched myself up for a while now about doing the diet, I’ve got a strong will power, so I should be OK, my problem has always been drinking water, this is something I will have to get used to. Many thanks for your support.

• posted by Chongololo
    on

Those sweeeeeeet shakes make you crave savoury, so look into getting some broths/consomme to ‘cut the sweet’ if you find yourself flagging, it will make it easier. (Optifast ‘soups’ are notoriously foul – try one before you buy more of them just in case…. some people like them, most people run screaming from them heheh)

Also, for the calories, raw veg to crunch on provided the missing texture when you’re doing the shake thing.

Word to the wise – drastically changing your diet and upping water can make things a bit – um – enthusiastic in the bowel department, (those shakes have no roughage!) so you can get badly stopped up or go horribly in the other direction. Forewarned is forearmed!

your determination and support will see you do really well, I have no doubt!

• posted by Barrynk
    on

Thanks for your input Chongololo,

It’s only day 2, but I will take your recommendations to heart.

As far as the bowel situation is concerned, having had colitis on and off for many years, it will be a relief for a little while!!!

• posted by April Joy
    on

Hi I went to see my GP last week to advise that I would be starting this diet and my GP contacted the Diabetic clinic at the local hospital; today my GP came back with the advise that the Diabetic Clinic did not feel this diet would be good and that people who have tried this type of diet usually find their diabetes a lot worse to manage once they introduce even small amounts of carbs. I feel so deflated as I really want to try this diet and get off the meds that I have been taking for some years. My GP is going to arrange for me to see a diabetic dietician to discuss.
    I actually started the diet yesterday, took no meds and my sugars were stable and really good.
    Am now unsure whether to carry on or wait to see the dietician; my GP does not want me to stop the medication.
    Any suggestions would be welcome.
    Thank you
    April Joy

• posted by Bissell
    on

Morning April
    I can imagine that if one is diabetic, loses weight on this diet but then starts again eating loads of carbs, the bs management would be hard. Surely the whole point is that one increases calories after the diet (to a ‘normal’ level of, say, 2000 a day) BUT keeps it low carb. Then all should be fine. I guess it seems to good to be true for some health workers, until they see more evidence.
    It’s hard to know what to do for the best isn’t it? Especially in the face of ‘expert’ opinion. I would be tempted to plough on regardless, keeping an eagle eye on your bs readings.
    Best of luck with whatever you do.

• posted by April Joy
    on

Thank you Bissell and Barry – am going to keep following the low carb Mediterranean diet until I see the dietician and then hopefully start to reduce the meds.
    April

• posted by Imogen
    on

Hi all,

Just started week 5 and loving BSD’ing. Although I have lost 18lbs at last count, I still have a lot of weight to shed so will be sticking to this way of eating/living. I am T2 diabetic and currently take 1 x 500mg metformin – hopefully will be able to come off altogether.

Just started on the nhs chance2change weight management programme. I asked to be referred for exercise on prescription way back last summer and had completely forgotten I had been put on a waiting list for this. Anyhow, went along dutifully to first session which consisted of 1 hour of tailored exercise, which was followed by 1 hour of ‘education’ – delivered by a physiotherapist, nutritionist, and physio support workers at the hospital. All good so far and then…

We were given a food and an exercise diary along with written information on recommended diet. Sad to say it is the same old nhs advice to eat loads of carbohydrate, low fat, etc,etc…we were exhorted to keep an ‘open mind’ while being encouraged to eat what to me is poison, and no longer an option.
    I have made a note on my food diary about my diet choice…and wait with bated breath for feedback from the nutritionist!!!

Hopefully I will not be banished from the building😵subversive that I am!

Wish me luck,

Imogen.

Please log in or register to post a reply.