I have CFS and Fibromyalgia – any recommendations before I start?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Pinballali
    on

Hi all:)

I’m really looking forward to beginning and joining this amazing group of people. I’m in the planning stage at the moment. The key to success (I hope), will be for me to pre-prep as much as possible so that on bad CFS days I can still make good choices and won’t have to rely on others too much.

Anyway, hopefully this lifestyle will reduce inflammation and improve Fibromyalgia. And to get rid of my tummy fat would be a miracle but I am concerned that I may become even more fatigued… I’d really love to hear any experiences you’ve had, good or bad and I’d be grateful for any suggestions you care to share.

With thanks, Ali

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Welcome Ali

Like you I have Fibromyalgia, along with arthritis and a few other conditions. When I started this journey last December I was also classed as type 2 diabetic.

So, how has the BSD affected me?

Firstly, I’ve lost just over 6 stone (85 pounds) with a little more still to lose. The majority of my joint pain has gone – at the start I was using a walking stick a lot, now it is unused. I have more energy than in a long time, can think more clearly and have better concentration.

My suggestion would be to keep your fridge stocked with BSD friendly foods that take little or no preparation so that if you are fatigued you have something readily available.

Hope this helps.

• posted by Pinballali
    on

That’s fantastic news about the stick captainlynne. Congratulations on the weight loss too, you must be so proud of yourself. I would be so excited if the brain fog cleared as well, wow!

Thanks for the tips, I thought I’d do an online shopping list so that I can just press Go when I need groceries but can’t get out, so plenty of BSD friendly foods for the fridge. I’m lactose intolerant so some of the diary products I have been using aren’t suitable. Any ideas anyone?

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi PINBALL so sorry about yr health problems..i have CFS too so i know how hard it can make life at times..also have some arthritis now..joys of getting older!
    Ive been doing BSD for five weeks today and ive lost 23 1/4 lbs. So far, i havent felt any better symptom wise ..still fatigued and achy…tho its nice to feel more comfortable in my clothes! Brain fog is just as bad but feel more relaxed,which leads me to think those carbs were making me jittery and uptight.
    Good luck on this journey..wdnt it be great if it could reverse our health probs! All we can do is try our best xx

• posted by Pinballali
    on

Hi Yowzer! Thanks for replying and sharing. I’m sorry to hear you’re suffering… it is such a frustrating way to live xx

Great to hear you’ve had a good resulting weight loss. TBH my worst nightmare is the doctor telling me I have type 2 diabetes, to add to the other stuff I have going on, so if I can shift this fat from around my organs it would be incredible. I’m weighing in at 100kg so it’s going to be a while but as you say we can only do our best. The reason I’ve called myself Pinball is that’s how I feel, forever shooting off in different directions trying to improve my health/change my lifestyle/lose weight.

Thanks again, Take care, Ali

• posted by Angiebabe
    on

Hey Team BSDers

I have PMR and arthritis so take steroids which have been responsible for a lot of weight increase ended up with Cushings Syndrome . But worked my way down a bit now so don’t look so bloated. The diet has really worked for me in terms of lifting my mood and getting rid of the brain fog. My OH keeps saying I’m a different person so I must have been a miserable whotsit before.

I am walking regularly on a treadmill and was building up to over 3miles a day but found that was too much and was leaving me weary wanting to lie down in the afternoon which is always a sign for me for doing too much. So I now walk 35 mins , lift some light weights and do 20 mins of strength building exercises for my knees that a physio prescribed. It seems a good balance and is good for my mood. I bought an exercise top and leggings from M&S which is very good for the ego makes me feel sporty especially when I’m not!

I’m on my 12 th week and have lost 35lbs. But a loooong way to go! I feel ok about this as I think it’s achievable and hopefully maintainable. Each time something goes wrong I seem to be able to learn from it eg learning how to refuse puddings in front of my cake loving friends. This is new for me and reflects a calmness that I think the diet has brought to me.

So I don’t think it’s just losing the weight but enabling me to mentally address the health issues I have in a holistic way. This is new and I haven’t lost my excitement about this diet. Most of all I love not feeling hungry all the time and not thinking about food all the time.
    Now I’ve started reading some of the Jason Fung stuff on low carb eating and fasting he also has a series of lectures on YouTube . He says some interesting things about low carb reducing inflammation.

So keep going guys this is a wonderful thing. Change is slower when you suffer from chronic conditions but it does happen. Keep reading the forums it’s like having your own team coaches in your living room and heck they make me laugh.

• posted by Pinballali
    on

Thanks Angiebabe. Living with pain is just so debilitating but it sounds like you’re doing an amazing job with your exercise programme. I’m still trying to find something that doesnt leave me wrecked… Three days recovery (sleep) last time I did Pilates!! Anyway, I thought I might read up about MM’s Fast Exercise, do you have any experiences with HIIT? As you say change is slower with chronic conditions so really need to include exercise.

I walk on days when the fatigue is manageable, it’s hilly where we live so I do get a bit of cardio, but wonder if small bursts may be better Any ideas out there?

Please log in or register to post a reply.