I HAVE A PLAN – WEEK 8 STARTING SEPT. 11

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi friends, lets join together to move our traveling challenge one
    week ahead! Holidays will be upon us sooner than we think, so
    no time like the present to set us up for success..Krys, Sunny,
    Nathalie, Mrs Bear, Caron, MnM and Angela, less face down
    the challengers together,and be satisfied with early jump
    on the scales in a downward direction. Please join in and
    keep me company!! JGwen? Kazz? Sumo? Welcome to all
    newbies too, delighted to have you all join in . Rev your engines,
    tomorrow is the time to reveal our goals..We’ll be ready πŸ™‚

Allie

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Allie not quite ready to commit to a new β€˜plan’ just yet but wishing everyone the best of luck this week …. keep on keeping on ……..

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Thanks for starting this off Allie, I’ll be getting on board for sure. V, great to see you are still about and hope to have you back with us properly soon. Meanwhile, take care and drop in when you can.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

I’m in Allie! Need all the help I can get! I’m hank you fo starting this.
    Kxx

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Oh typo city! Should read thank you for starting this!

• posted by wendleg
    on

I’m in alliecat . Starting my second Week today xxx

• posted by Libstar
    on

Im in! Start (again) tomorrow. Really struggle with a house full, any tips/pointers/ideas for quick simple meals. Im happy with oats and grated apple at breakfast, usually bacon and egg at lunch then soup for dinner. Essentially its the quick/easy/cheap meals I like that don’t require much if any prep.

Thanks

• posted by alliecat
    on

Thanks, V.! Keep well. We’ll be watching for you when it’s the right time
    for you to return. xxx

Hi wendleg! Happy to have you along πŸ™‚ The first two weeks are the most
    challenging, and you’re half way there..Excellent!

Kazz, let’s think of this as the first week of countdown to Christmas!
    Maybe we can teach you to type by then πŸ™‚ You must be tired tonight,
    Cutie!! Happy you’ll be traveling this road with us..Get some rest πŸ™‚

Allie

• posted by alliecat
    on

Welcome back, libstar! If you have a busy house full of children and their activities, you must be in “reactionary
    mode” most of the time, and grabbing for the sugar is probably an attempt to keep your energy levels up?
    I’m thinking that advance planning is going to be key for your success. What do you think?

Allie

• posted by Natalie
    on

I’m in! Recommitting to my week two. Back on track this morning. Spring is here and I’m off to a garden centre. Less sitting in front of the TV, more digging weeding and planting!

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hi Libstar! Only commenting with your wellbeing in mind . . . because I noticed you mentioned oats for breakfast . . . unsure if you are doing yourself any favours there but maybe thats your 20 grms carb for the day . . .? I posted three breakfasts – (somewhere here!) Portabello mushrooms with a litte tomato onion of any kind and basil chopped finely and filling the upturned mushy. Grilled with a little olive oil and balsamic drizzle. browned off mince with whatever flavours you fancy, tossed with baby spinach and fetta with the marinating oil drizzled over. Or maybe chopped bacon, shallots, and mushrooms with a knob of butter to start . . . and when almost done add a little coconut cream or milk to enrich the sauce. A bag of stirfry veges already to cook or have raw is a great standby – any grilled chicken, pork, steak or lamb can be diced and tossed through. Always have leeks, celery, shallots, avocado on hand . . . and along with pestos, the spice rack is my constant companion who adds amazing flavours for variations πŸ™‚

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hi Allie! Im not . . . counting . . . nor weighing food nor body . . . just “doing” best I can. Sticking to whats best, but not making it so rigid I baulk and want to rebel πŸ™‚ Just finished week 1 of the second time around . . . feel like Ive stabilised BSL’s – though with some emotional stuff on hand to deal with right now, Im not surprised a miniscule slight rise and sleeping issues returning, shows more clearly now how stress impacts me. and now with this little emotional hiatus which has been brewing for years finally coming to the surface for addressing . . .once thats done Im sure Ill feel relieved, put my chin up and out whatever the outcome . . . and have BSL’s back on track. The reactions have been noted πŸ™‚ Weight discard seems to have slowed – but all good. For me that was a wonderful sideline benefit. I like to look and feel good about my appearance but . . . after a certain time it becomes less important than whats going on on the inside!!! However, reality arose when the surprise of fitting into a high end label, deliciously expensive – (though through a charity store – “bargain price”) – pair of size 14 black slacks was pure delight!!! Yesterday when I had to go to my nearest town – about 15 mnutes away . . . I teamed them with an oh so pastel dusty/dusky pink soft, fine knit, cowl neck tunic top, my new (HAD to be changed) hairstyle, with a subtle dash of steel blue, patent look shoes . . . and I felt SO GOOD! Heading away for a couple of weeks very soon . .. and that will be the litmus test of my resourcefulness and resolve πŸ™‚ Most days Im only eating twice – and given this dramatic lifestyle change took place in our winter, when we tend to eat and store a little more to keep warm . . . I will be curious to see what happens when the warmer weather comes along. Emotionally during the initial eight weeks, I experienced a massive sustained high . . . then slowly returned to where my feet were at least on the ground . . . then went into some kind of slump . . . I rode it out . . . and think I almost have my fingertips and eyes above the ground now πŸ™‚ Good luck everyone!!! Great we are all in this together and can share without fear or favour πŸ™‚

• posted by Libstar
    on

Thanks alliecat, you’re right I live on sugar and caffeine!! Then can’t sleep so starts over the next day. I know bsd helps energy levels so need to stick to it this time
    Wow thanks woodduckie they sound great, got overnight oats this morning but bacon and mushrooms sounds good for tomorrow. Got the oats from the book and didn’t even consider the carbs!!!
    Stay strong everyone πŸ’ͺ🏻

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Holidays over for now so getting back to normal. Would like to drop half a pound this week and get back to.intermittent fasting.

• posted by Trundlebug
    on

I’d like to join if possible? Have had 3 good days that began with 2 fasts (bone broth augmented) and am now feeling with kids back to school and teaching schedule back on I can return to a less reactive diet. Also alcohol is off the menu!

My quick fixes are tomato mozzarella and avocado salad, a big batch if roasted veggies that I drizzle with olive oil and keep in the fridge. I can then add grilled haloumi or eggs or whatever protein I have knocking about. Also egg mayo olives and bits of salad with some finncrisp are my standbys.

Good luck all

X

• posted by Libstar
    on

Oooo tomato mozzarella sounds good, gonna make a couple of batches of soup today to keep me going, the first few days are hardest for me. Once I feel fitter/faster I find it easy to carry on.

• posted by Violinist
    on

May I also join in with you guys? Need to concentrate here (again) before the holidays and doc and blood work appointments.

Goals these next 8 weeks
    get into the 150’s (174 right now)
    a1c at 5.5
    Lower blood pressure consistently under 130/80

How?
    regular exercise (bike,walk,swim,body weight lift)
    skip happy hour
    eat at 800 calories

• posted by Froggy Ranger
    on

I’ll be joining you all, like many holidays are now over, kids back at school and therefore life becomes easier to manage.
    Week one was only a small loss, so my plan this week is to hydrate well and stick to healthy choices when given an option of what to eat when out and about on biz trips away (2 of them this week). Plus I need to get back into going to the gym, so I’ll promise on here that I’ll go once this week. Make sure you all hold me to my promise!
    Onwards and downwards,
    Froggy

• posted by Violinist
    on

Libstar, what kinds of soup do you make?

• posted by Violinist
    on

Woodduckie, thanks for the detail of your last 8 weeks’ high and how your feet finally hit the groundβ€”-probably running. I want that high.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone
    Logging in to the forum from my classroom and drinking my flask of green tea.
    Late parents’ meetings tonight so I just plan on eating a 2 egg omelette with smoked salmon ( MM’s breakfast of choice ;-)) and loads of salad and some avocado. Quick and easy to do and tasty. I love my little pot of full fat Greek yoghurt with berry chia jam. I am being very good resisting the grapes. I have a small bag of mixed nuts if I need something later on this afternoon.
    I find I reach for food if something has upset me and it’s a way of telling myself that I have had a bad time and I deserve it. Not a good way of addressing food really. I try to think nowadays ‘Is this good for me, is it going to do my body good’ ?’
    Talking of soup :I did a massive pot of courgette soup the other day from the 5.2 Healthy Eating recipe book and just added a big bunch of kale and blitzed it all up. It was bright green and delicious.
    Have a good afternoon everyone and keep on going.
    xxx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Me again

I had a thought.
    I often used to make seed crackers as a bread alternative before embarking on the 8 week programme
    From the Oh she glows website they are called endurance crackers and are dead simple to make

half a cup of chia seeds
    half a cup of sunflower seeds
    half a cup of pumpkin seeds
    half a cup of sesame seeds
    I sometimes add a few poppy seeds and caraway seeds.
    pinch of salt
    I don’t add any seasoning in mine but you can add garlic salt, cumin etc if you wish
    Just combine all the seeds with one cup water and leave to stand for a couple of minutes so the chia seeds absorb the water.
    Then spread the mixture on a baking tray lined with baking parchment ( try to do it fairly thinly so they come out crispier)
    Bake for 30 mins ( oven temp 180Β°C/300Β° F) Flip over and bake a bit more ( depends ..about 15/20 mins)
    Break into crackers .
    It makes plenty for a week and they keep well.
    The website says
    Serving size 1 of 22 crackers
    Calories 70 cals
    Total fat 5g
    Total carbs 3g
    I used to eat them with hummus , cheese, almond butter etc
    I am a bit wary of straying too far from the BSD recipes at the moment. I need to gain a bit more confidence but I reckon the crackers could still work for me as an alternative to crisps and they make a good snack cracker
    Let me know what you think if you try them xx

• posted by Libstar
    on

Those crackers sound great, I will try them. The soup Ive been making lately is the roasted pepper and squash soup form the BSD book, its very nice and filling however I would recommend adding half the chilli and tasting before the rest as its so hot I couldn’t eat the first batch without a lot of bread!!!! I was gonna try ham and pea from the BSD book.

• posted by Violinist
    on

Thanks Libstar!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Wow … how wonderful to see so many people joining in on this new weekly challenge!! Hopefully we can all spur each other on to achieve good things this week.

Having finished week 7 a pound down bring me back to target weight and with another trip to Turkey looming, this week I really need to knuckle down and get some wriggle room sorted out. I’m drawing a line in the sand and will be weighing, measuring and calculating everything I consume as of tomorrow morning – today got away from me. Still very conscious of keeping hydration up and moving around more. And again, will be extending overnight fasts and looking to do at least one 22/23hr fast – might look to do that tomorrow actually.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hello everyone

Just logging in to say hi . No school in France on Wednesday afternoon so I’m home doing a bit of prep and chilling. I have had a square of Lindt 78 choc with my coffee and a few nuts and seeds . Looking forward to my evening meal which is the roasted red pepper with anchovies (recipe page 80 from the BSD recipe book. I will add load sof veg or salad.

Hope everyone is having a good day . xxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

How are we today, my merry band of miscreants?? πŸ™‚ I forgot to outline my goals for the week…I’m going
    to concentrate on getting back to a daily brisk walk, now that the high temps and humidity in New England
    are beginning to shift to more seasonal weather. Next week we’re traveling to Massachusetts for a brief
    mini break out on Cape Cod, and there is 40 miles of uninterrupted ocean beach to walk. That should be
    lovely exercise! There is a formidable hurricane heading towards the east coast, and I would really
    appreciate it if it stays down south, and doesn’t travel up the coast. Should be some outstanding winds
    and high tides, though! I’d like to build in another lb. or two of wiggle room before our departure as well.
    Sunny, the baked figs with gorgonzola dulce were heavenly. A once a year treat, so I’m glad that you reminded
    me that they are again in the markets πŸ™‚ They were rather small this year, so 4 of them in a small gratin dish
    were a perfect fit. Quite a hit with the bearded one, too! Much appreciated xx

Allie

• posted by EclecticRajistani
    on

Hi All, hope it’s ok to join in this group as I started the BSD on Monday. And so far doing ok. Have definitely felt hungry but that means meal times are relished and enjoyed!

I have been reading your posts for support and wisdom, so thank you.

Hope all have had a good week!!

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hey there! Welcome! And you have many supporters here ready willing and able should you strike any speedbumps or obstacles!!! When I first started and had the hungries . . . I would take a couple of cubes of feta . . . a hardboiled egg, slice of cheese . . . just to take the edge off tings and let my body know I was prepare to acknowledge its need . . , but not necessarily with what it might expect!! Great to have you with us and all the very best in your quest πŸ™‚

• posted by alliecat
    on

Welcome, welcome, eclecticrajistani! Very happy to have you along with us πŸ™‚ Congratulations on
    making the decision to improve your life. It’s wonderful that you are doing well so far. The hunger
    will dissipate when you switch over to burning fat stores (ketosis), and the extra energy will astound
    you! Shout out if you have any questions or concerns, and I’m sure one of us will be along to help.
    It’s an exciting journey, and we look forward to sharing it with you. Best,

Allie

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone
    Catching up on the posts.It’s been a busy week with late meetings but the weekend begins here. I have almost finished 2nd Week and I am still on track.Will see what the scales say . Surprisingly I haven’t felt that hungry and can cope in the day. I really enjoy my evening meals now.
    Yesterday my hubby cooked the roasted red pepper with anchovies from the BSD recipe book and it was yum.

Allie I keep seeing mentions of ketosis/fat burning. How would you know if this was happening ?

Your mini break sounds incredible ! Enjoy those beach walks !

All the best for the newcomers . This is a fantastic place to keep motivated and feel supported
    .I will check back in tomorrow xx

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi wendleg,
    To jump in an answer your question on ketosis and fat burning. – Its a difficult question to give a clear answer to via the forum. – There are links to a batch of different pod casts where Doctors explain ketosis and the processes when the body is turning fat into fuel on the Take a look at this thread. – If you go back a few months to the first podcast by Dr Bikman that I posted a link to I think you will get a much clearer explanation than anyone can manage in an article. But this link covers the basics and could be a good start point for you. But if its too science heavy then just shout out any questions.

https://blog.virtahealth.com/ketone-ketosis-basics/

• posted by wendleg
    on

Oh thanks so much JGwen
    I will have a look at that.

I weighed in today with 1.5 kilos lost. Less than Week 1 but I’m happy as long as I keep going down.
    I would be interested to know what people think about what I am doing.
    I eat at around 6 to 7pm most evenings and then don’t eat again until the same time the next day. I don’t do breakfast as I leave very early and I don’t feel that hungry at lunch time. Maybe my body has adjusted to this ? I drink green tea all day
    So basically I am fasting for 24 hours and then eating my 800 calories.
    It’s obviously having an effect on the weight loss so far but is this going to be problematic when I come out of the 8 weeks ?I don’t intend to start scoffing loads of carbs as I did before but I will need to increase quite a bit. I know it’s early days as I have only just finished Week 2 but I have a niggling worry that my body will react to being restricted and start stockpiling and my weight will increase.
    I was thinking of doing 5:2 after the 8 weeks . 800 calories on 2 days and much less restrictive on the other 5.
    Can anyone share their experience. ?
    I don’ t know if I am on the right thread here.
    Feel free to tell me off if I am in the wrong place πŸ˜‰
    Alliecat and Woodduckie lways give me good advice.

Have a great weekend everyone xx

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Wendleg,
    First of all, well done on getting to One Meal A Day (OMAD) so quickly. I was on my second round of 8 weeks before I got there. – The answer on the long term impact of OMAD a day is depends. It depends on how much weight you want to loose, how rapidly you want to loose it, and if that will cause loose skin and you want to resolve that.

I am not an expert, my story is that I started on the BSD and forum last October. I have always been over weight, but a few years ago a broken ankle meant that under doctors orders I was not allowed to put weight on that foot for 6 months during which time my weight ballooned. Because of a mistake by the consultant I was left in pain when I walked or was standing for a few years. So far I have lost 6.5 stones which gets me back to the weight at which I am comfortable being physically active. – But when I look in a mirror I see a large spare tyre, lots of fat on my thighs. Having lost a few years of my life to an injury which prevented me from doing the things I enjoy having not only a long life, but a healthy long life is now something I want to aim for. I like learning more so that can design an WoE for life for myself that gets me to the best possible shape now, and being physically active for the maximum period of my life.

From what I have read, OMAD is a great stage to reach in the weight loss process. – It indicates that you are breaking free of high insulin levels / Insulin Resistance and it is a good tool in weight loss maintenance. – If after 8 weeks you are close enough to target to move on to maintenance or a slower weight loss by moving on to the 5:2 , then there shouldn’t be a problem with staying with OMAD on your two low calorie days. However, if you have a lot of weight to loose then you need to be careful about the down side of long term OMAD.

Thanks the the internet we can pick up information on different bodies of research and make an informed decision on what is best for our personal circumstances. As various members of this forum have come across interesting articles and podcasts they have posted a link on the take a look at this thread which makes a useful library. – I personally find the explanations of Dr Bikman on insulin very helpful. While Dr Fung has the experience of working with over a 1000 clients reversing T2D using fasting. I have just ordered the books by an expert on keto diets, because as a vegetarian its harder to get carbs down to a level to be sure of being in ketosis than it is for a meat eater. I have recommended to two different people who are supporting friends through cancer treatment the work of Dr Longo on the fasting mimicking diet.

To go back to your request for advice on eating OMAD. Dr Fung, says that if you stick with daily low carb, low calories per day including OMAD for too long you will hit the same problem as occurs with dieting. Your body will reduce metabolic rate to adjust to the reduction in calories so you will have to stay low carb, low calorie all your life. While Dr MM recommends after the BSD moving on to 5:2 and eating 800 calories on the 2 “fasting” days and a gentle weight loss. Dr Fung recommends to his clients who have a lot of weight to loose a minimum of 3 periods of 36 hour water only fasts during a week and eating without calorie counting on the other days which apparently will not have as much impact on metabolic rate, but he also recommends shaking it up with 42 hour fasts. (All diabetics are expected to do this under medical supervision) By starting a 36 hour fast in an evening, and breaking it in a morning that means the 36 hours includes 2 nights. The other option may be to look into the fasting mimicking diet. Which is 5 days of low carb, low protein, 800 calories once a month.

on

Hi Alliecat, WoodieDuck, thank you for the lovely welcome. And thanks to all the posts everybody, I’m learning a lot. Despite my fears of sticking to this. I’m day 7 on BSD 800 fast and the hunger pangs have gone. I even managed a social occasion in a pub without drinking alcohol, just one diet coke (the sweet taste really not nice half way through drinking it) & camomile tea.

I know that I have a long way to go (5 stone to go) and there will be low days for sure ( I’ll be posting this too!) but I have mentally decided I am gaining control of this temple of mine. Your words, support, wisdom is an incredible help. I found my tribe. Have a lovely day and here’s to an even better week!! Let’s do this!!
    😘

• posted by Violinist
    on

Morning folks!
    Jgwen, I broke my ankle last Sep 28 and had surgery to put a rod and screws in my ankle. Not fun.

Looking forward to a successful week!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Good afternoon. wendleg! No one would ever “tell you off” (NOT on my thread πŸ™‚ ). Any and all questions
    are profoundly welcome!!! They need not even be relative to the thread…I understand your long term
    questions when you have reached your target, and fears about how to manage maintenance. There
    is a technique that is called “reverse dieting”, which consists of eating 850cal a day for week 1, 900 cal.
    a day for week 2, and so on, until you approach your TDEE. At this point you will get a sense of how
    many carbs you can eat, i.e., your personal set point. It’s different for each of us, so we establish it
    by cautious trial and error. Try not to worry too much, there is always help and support here πŸ™‚

Eclecticrajistani, we ARE a tribe! The number of stones to rid ourselves of doesn’t matter. We
    now have the blueprint for accomplishing it, and the magic ingredient, this “community” πŸ™‚ Very
    happy to hear that the hunger has gone, too! The first 2 weeks are the most difficult, and you are
    half way there!!! It’s one big adventure, so it’s wonderful to see you here πŸ™‚

Allie

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hello everyone
    Thank you so much JGwen for taking the time to reply so thoroughly. That really gives me food for thought and I am so grateful for all the advice more expΓ©rienced BSDers like you can give me.

I didn’t start out to deliberately do the One Meal a Day but it is more manageable for me. It’s not so easy at the weekend and yesterday I had a big bowl of courgette soup at lunch time as well as my evening meal of indian spiced prawns. Today I have got by with a cup of espresso coffee and a square of Lindt 90%choc. The morning was taken up with a visit to a flea market and a craft fair as well as the local market where I picked up a massive bouquet of Rainbow chard, sorrel, parsley, coriander , celery and red peppers. Hubby also bought grapes and plums. I actually do get excited about gorgeous fruit and veg !

I presently weigh 96kg ( 4 kilos lost after my second Week ) but I have a lot to lose and will need to carry on after the 8 weeks are up. I will research how best to continue based on your comments. I have read somewhere (Dr.Fung ?) that fasting for 24 hours or more is acceptable and not dangereous. I think it will be pretty easy to slot in 2 OMAD days on 5.2 but the 36 or 42 hours fasts several times a week sounds daunting.
    I’m not worried too much about the food I will eat after the 8 weeks as I really enjoy my nuts, seeds, fruit , veg and am inspired by the recipes I have found.I eat fish too but no red meat I would be interested in hearing your findings on keto for vegetarians JGwen. I will see where I am after 8 weeks. I expect my weight loss will slow down as it already has but I feel energized and positive.

I definitely need to find out how to avoid my metabolism slowing right down.

JGwen what a fantastic weight loss ! You have done that in less than a year . You are an inspiration.

Who wants to share experience of loose skin ? I have been overweight for a looong time and have never lost enough to have loose skin although I know it is a problem ( a friend had bariatric surgery and lost 40 kilos very quickly with resulting loose skin.)

I have 20 kilos (3 stone) to lose to get to 75 kilos. 70 kilos would take me to 11 stone which I haven’t been for YEARS . At age 60 and menopausal maybe it’s not too realistic to aim for more than the 20 kilos loss.
    Is loose skin only caused by too rapid weight loss ? How can we prevent this ?

My plan for next Week is to continue with my OMAD . It’ll be Week 3 and I understand it can be a notorious plateau phase ?
    Sending lots of support to everyone for next Week. xxx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Thanks for not telling me off Alliecat πŸ˜‰ I definitely won’t be at target after the 8 weeks and I will look into reverse dieting. I won’ t worry but I suppose I was anxious to know that my OMAD was acceptable and not setting me up for problems after the 8 weeks.
    I won’t be maintaining after the first 8 weeks so will be asking how you all coped and continued to lose weight after that period.

Keep going EclecticRajistani. You are in the right place. Peope on here are incredible. Totally unjudgemental; totally supportive and the good humour is so refreshing.
    xxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Wendleg, I have an appointment in 15 min. so I have to run, but I’ll be back later to discuss loose skin,
    and the theories on how to prevent it πŸ™‚ As you can imagine, at 148lbs lost, it IS an issue….JGwen
    is very interested in this subject too, and I’m sure she will have a lot to say when she weighs in(no pun
    intended!) See you later!!

Allie

• posted by Mom2Boxers
    on

Hi Alleycat … I am starting today Sept. 16 but glad to join in!

• posted by alliecat
    on

What a cute username, Mom2Boxers! Are we talking canines? So happy that you’ve found your way
    to this thread πŸ™‚ Our American members are few, but we are powerful! There are only 3 of us at the
    moment…Californiagirl has got northern Cali, I’ve got New England, and Violinist has Florida. Welcome,
    welcome! I’m looking forward to getting to know you, and hopefully supporting you on this journey
    that we’ve all committed to. We manage to have fun along the way, and improve our lives in the
    process. Do you mind telling us where you are located? Would love to hear what goals that you
    have, as well! I’m wishing you all the best…We do this together, and have so much success to
    fall back on. Very happy to have you onboard! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Allile

• posted by Violinist
    on

Allie, how do you know she is American? Welcome mom2!

• posted by Violinist
    on

Ok, I see mom2boxer comment

• posted by alliecat
    on

No mystery, Violinist πŸ™‚ Just saw a listing for one of the newbie threads that I don’t have time to follow.
    Many of us invite new members to hop onto one of the challenge threads. Early weeks are a challenge
    for everyone, and experience has taught us all that the fastest way to master the learning curve is to
    do so with an active thread where old and new friends get to know each other and share experiences.
    I completely understand why new members seek out others who are just beginning, but too often
    these threads don’t prevail, and we lose new members when the thread goes silent. We’ve always
    got a weekly and a 4 week challenge up and running, and it’s something we can always count on!
    I’m happy that you’re here! How are you doing with your goal to wow your doctor? How many weeks
    until d-day? I’m very happy that this hurricane is going inland, and doesn’t look like it’s going to
    effect you on the west coast…just the Carolinas and parts of Va. Terrible torrential flooding, though!
    I’m expecting higher tides, but that is usual for September anyway. Let us know how you’re doing πŸ™‚

Allie

• posted by zinny
    on

Hello all.
    Trying to maintain my 153 weight but would really like to be 150 but unlikely now. I have some loose skin but it’s better than it being plumped out with fat. At least in the winter my arms are covered. Tummy is like a big lump of dough but hey it’s covered up ! Away from home until 3 rd October but running and swimming so that’s a help. My running gait is terrible due to ankle damage earlier in year but at least I’m moving!
    Down we go!

on

Hi everybody, so I went on the scales at the gym. And amazingly have lost
    half a stone/7lbs/3 kilos. Honestly, didn’t think I was going to lose anything so this feels great! Appreciate it’s not always going to be like this. This BSD 800 and exercising combo of cardio and strength training seems to be working.

Made the courgette and apple muffins and not great. Any low carb baking recipes you can recommend. I have coconut flour and coconut oil to use up!

Heres to a good start to the week and would love to hear how you’re all getting on
    Xx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hello, kids! The start of a new week already! I hope everyone will be continuing on with week 9.
    I’m off on holiday tomorrow morning, and will be out of WiFi range unless I can find a place from which
    to check in! Shall I set up the new challenge, or would someone else like to maintain the thread
    this week? I’m happy to do it πŸ™‚ Hope I don’t go into withdrawal!!!

Back to the subject of loose skin, wendleg πŸ™‚ I don’t think that being menapausal or post menapausal
    has any effect on what can be accomplished with this WOL. It took me 17 years and chronic illness
    to pile on 148 lbs. (beginning at age 50), and 10 months to get rid of 140lbs of it. The last 8 lbs
    came off in maintenance. I never switched to the 5:2 after 8 weeks, but just kept on with the Fast800
    until I got to where I needed to go. That was 17 months ago, and the weight has stayed off, with
    the exception of a few pounds acquired this summer due to succumbing to some fruit, and a
    little too much socializing with a goblet of white wine in my hand….Easily remedied, however!
    I didn’t really notice loose skin until @ 100lbs lost. I do have bingo arms, which are unsightly,
    but everything else is hidden under clothing..I do believe that it’s the overall % of weight lost, and
    how long the fat has been with us that determines this, as well as basic genetics. I don’t think
    3 stone will leave you with much of a problem. The process of autophagy, intermittent fasting,
    is thought to be an insurance policy, and you are already doing this, with OMAD!!! As we age we
    lose the ability to produce collagen and HGH (human growth hormone), and therein lies the problem
    of skin elasticity. JGwen has researched this extensively…so I happily defer to her to go into more
    depth on the subject. πŸ™‚ She’s found and posted many podcasts (“TAKE A LOOK AT THIS”) thread,
    which you might find very interesting.

Have a marvelous week everyone! I’ll have a lot of catching up to do on Sunday….

Hi there Zinny! Good to have you back πŸ™‚

Allie

• posted by Violinist
    on

Allie, how am I doing? The lab and doc is 7 and 8 weeks away. I rescheduled them from this week since I did not get the job done. I have started over a million times and have not been consistent with ignoring happy hour. Pretty much same old same old. SOSO, instead of KOKO.

Oh, ya, I am rereading the books, planning low carb menus and staying on here to try and work up the gumption to do this. I used to be so good at discipline and goals.

You guys do inspire me.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Violinist, the only important thing is that you get up every time you stumble. Cocktail hour is a hard
    habit to break πŸ™‚ We lived in northern Cali in the early 70’s, with close access to the Napa Valley. It’s
    changed a lot since then, now a real destination for foodies and wine lovers, but back then it was
    somewhat of a sleepy place, where you could take a picnic of bread, cheese, wine, salami and a big dungeness
    crab along with you, and have a leisurely lunch along the little traveled country roads…I think it scarred
    me for life though, as changing my habits to wine instead of spirits began there. During my weight
    loss period, wine did thwart my efforts, so I had to abandon it for the duration. It is easy to rationalize
    it in maintenance, and I do try to limit it to weekends πŸ™‚ I’m thinking that it might be more difficult for
    you, living in Fla., because you don’t really have any clearly delineated seasons there. I’ve been switching
    to Fall patterns of behavior, so it feels natural to leave wine spritzers behind, along with the summer
    fruit. I need to constantly remember that vine ripened tomatoes are actually a fruit, and not a
    vegetable… I will take credit for not eating a single piece of corn this summer, though, much to husband’s
    chagrin!
    We start a new week today, and I’m sending strength your way. Didn’t you also say that recently
    you’ve had the chaos of moving house, as well? Stressful!!

Please log in or register to post a reply.