I HAVE A PLAN!!! – Week 7 starting 4th September

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Having pretty much wasted Week 6 and weighing in at exactly the same today as I did last Tuesday, it’s time to get really serious about what I’m consuming, so that I can start to build in some wriggle room again. We have six weeks to our next trip out to Turkey, so having that wriggle room is going to be important, if I’m going to relax the rules a little when we are away. Current weight is standing at 1lb over target, so that needs to be dealt with first.

Plan this week, is to get back to weighing and measuring everything consumed, paying full attention to carb intake and keeping the hydration up. Over and above I’ll be extending overnight fasts and might also throw in a 22/23hr fast too – watch this space.

Hope others will come along on this weekly challenge – looking forward to hearing how others are doing and what their plan is for this week.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi Sunny! I seem to be extra absent minded lately, so I keep forgetting that it’s Tuesday again, and time
    to flip into another weekly challenge…Too much on my mind, I think. THANK YOU for carrying this forward
    once again 🙂 I think I’m where you are, and need to push harder for my 10lbs. of wiggle room. I’m
    trying to draw a line through Summer, now that September has started, and days will be getting shorter.
    Just small portions of melon, or 1/4 mango in some salsa seem to upend me, and it needs to stop!!! I’m
    declaring the season of wine spritzers over, too. I’ve gotten my hydration back up, but otherwise, last week
    has to be a write off. I’m with you, let’s get “our act together” this week, my friend!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Good to have your company again this week, Allie. The weeks are zapping by so quickly aren’t they? Sorry to hear you are in a similar situation to me and having to get ‘your act together’ too. I’m doing okay on the hydration front, but there was considerable ‘wine creep’ when my folks were here and I admit to allowing the carbs to sneak up too. In my case, it was tiny portions of mash potato – I know, doesn’t get much worse!

We can do it Allie – let’s try to stay focused this week and really make some progress.

• posted by alliecat
    on

We can, Sunny! I’ve just looked up the carb count on mangoes..31.5! That’s far worse than mashed potato….
    Bye bye, tropical fruit! You are so blessed to have both of your parents among the living. It must be a
    total joy for you and your family. I lost my Father at the age of 20, and my Mother left us at the age of 94.
    You’ve got 4 generations to gather together, and family reunions must be beautiful, cherished events.
    I couldn’t be happier for you 🙂

• posted by MrsBear
    on

Hey Sunny and Allie, I’m “getting my act together” too. Too many G&T’s and cider in the hot sunny weather. Didn’t you know September is the new “new year”. Resolutions galore but apparently they work better than in January! So I’m with you guys. Just got on it today after a year of badness. So what’s the weekly challenge?

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Glad to have you along on the week’s challenge thread, MrsBear. There is no prescribed ‘blanket’ challenge for all, it is up to each of us to map out our own plan for the week and set ourselves a challenge relevant to us. We then publish whatever that is here and check in periodically through the week, to keep ourselves accountable. This week for me, it’s getting back to checking my carb intake, extend overnight fasts and perhaps to throw in a 22/23hr fast if I can. From what Allie is saying, hers is to kick tropical fruit and alcohol into touch. So, what do you think yours will be for this week?

Allie, yes I’m truly blessed to still have both my parents and it is lovely when we can have four generations of the family together. As each year passes, I give thanks that both my parents are fit, well, happy people, with very good physical and mental capacity, who are still living active and involved lives and I’m very grateful that I still have the pleasure of having them. I’m so pleased for my grand children too, that they have had the opportunity to know a set of their great grandparents.

• posted by MrsBear
    on

OK Sunny that sounds good. Not only have I let my weight go back up and have slipped into too much of a habit with the after works drinks, I have completely abandoned the gym. I used to be a competitive rower, training 6 days a week and had muscles! Now all I have is flab 🙁 I can feel the difference when I try to step up – there’s no power left in my legs and I have to hike myself up. SO it’s time to get back in the gym. This week I plan to go to the gym 3 times. Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. The plan is to only do three light sessions but just getting into some kit and going there will be more of an achievement than I have managed in the last year so please people nag me!!

• posted by Micmac
    on

Hey Sunny I’m in this week. I had a 500 cal fast day yesterday and am planning another tomorrow and another Friday. I need to get off to a good start to keep me motivated. I lost 2lbs last week which I’m pleased with and am aiming for another 2lb loss by this time next week. Have a great week all!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Very best to you, MrsBear! After a certain age, we can lose strength at an alarming rate. According to
    the calendar, Fall is dawning, and I need to step it up on the strength front too 🙂 I’ve slacked off with
    respect to walking 5-10 miles a day in the hot and humid weather that is Summer in New England…We
    can keep each other on track, and I will nag you with kindness in my heart 🙂

Allie

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Good to see you have formulated a plan for this week, MrsBear. Exercise is certainly and issue for me too and I’m more than aware that I’m much too sedentary. Now that we know your intention to get back in the gym, we will be urging you on and encouraging you to get to the gym – nagging if you like!

Good to see you back in Micmac. Sounds like you have a plan for this week too and I’m sure you’ll be seeing a positive result at the end of the week’s challenge.

I’m doing okay, scales were kind this morning, but as usual, I’ll only report a result at the end of the week. Today I’m trying to push the overnight fast out to 19hrs, but I’m a little peckish at the moment, so not sure if I’ll get there – currently it 16hrs, so anything more is a bonus.

• posted by MrsBear
    on

Yay me. I did my workout – admittedly not in the gym but because it was a body weight circuit I did it in my kitchen.
    Day 2 done. On my cals, no booze and a workout! Whoop whoop. Friday will be the challenge – friends over for dinner, cooking my favourite Mediterranean dishes which is fine but will have to watch everyone else drinking wine. 🙁
    Allie, am jealous, have always wanted to see New England – supposed to be beautiful in the autumn (fall) and I bet you have real winters with actual snow and everything!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hey MrsBear, a work out is a work out, gym or no, well done you!! And no booze too – excellent! Friday night, have fizzy water and a good squeeze of fresh lime juice in a wine glass – with good food and good company, you’ll hardly notice you aren’t imbibing.

We had a meal out last night – good BSD fair, with a medium glass of red wine. Scales were okay this morning, so all good at the moment.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

I am late joining this challenge as work had been absolutely hectic this week. Also it is my year end and we are sorting the year end accounts which I really hate doing.

Had a really good appointment with my Diabetic Nurse and now no longer need to attend the diabetes clinic at our Regional Hospital. This is such good news as my DN is so knowledgeable and really supportive. She is also really nice. All insulin had now been taken off my repeat prescription list. So i just need to ‘keep on keeping on’.

• posted by Angela06
    on

Great news, Krysia, I’m so pleased for you!

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Fantastic news Krysia, a really great result for you, well done.😀😀😀😀😀😀

• posted by alliecat
    on

Oh Krys, CONGRATULATIONS! You’ve done every bit of it yourself!!! We’re so proud of you 🙂 I love rereading
    your story, because it is such an inspiring one. Wish MM would pick it up and do a feature on “living life to
    the fullest”…. And now you’ve been released to your favorite DN! Thank you for sharing your good news!

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Oh my gosh Krysia, that is just fantastic news. You could not have a more clear statement from your doctor that you are no longer diabetic and they don’t expect it to reoccur. Absolutely brilliant.
    So many people struggling with diabetes right now are still eating the wrong things. And here is living proof of full remission. Do you think the guidelines will change soon? So many peoples lives literally hang in the balance.
    But you’ve reclaimed yours, I am so happy for you and I know the effort that you put into it, as I have read your posts from the beginning. Great effort and great result!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Thank you Angela06, Mixnmatch, Allie and Californiagirl. I definitely could not have done it without your help and the help of everyone on this forum. It has literally been a lifesaver for me.

I am so happy that I have been released into the care of my favourite DN. It makes such a difference that she supports this way of eating. I shall definitely be keeping on this forum as I need all the help I can get to stay ‘on the straight and narrow’. I have been so happy since the appointment – literally floating on air.

Another hectic day at work and we are out this evening for dinner at a Moroccan restaurant. It looks as though I will have no problem staying with BSD friendly foods as the menu looks like a fusion between Moroccan and UK food.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Late to the party, but a huge congrats, Krysia!!!

• posted by caronl
    on

And many congrats krisia from me too. Fabulous news.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Thank you SunnyB and Caroni.

Californiagirl – it is so sad that the guidelines are not changing fast enough and I often think of all the people who are hurtling towards blindness, foot amputations and kidney disease because they have no idea that they are following the wrong advice. It is heartening though that there are doctors and Diabetes Nurses who do support this WOE and are giving good advice.

it was so funny this weekend. Yesterday at the Moroccan restaurant I carefully ordered the grilled halloumi and salad starter without the mango dressing. It arrived smothered in the mango dressing. So I had to send it back. I then ordered sirloin steak and salad and no chips. It arrived with a huge pile of chips. I had to ask them to dispose of the chips before I could eat my steak.

Today after our lovely walk along the coastal path I ordered grilled halloumi and salad without the sourdough bread and dressing. What I got was sourdough bread and salad covered with dressing but no halloumi. So I had to send that back also. The meals were lovely once they were sorted – I think I must have been jinxed this weekend.

• posted by Natalie
    on

Krysia was the universe trying to test you this weekend? If so, you passed! Congrats on your great news.

When I was told I had prediabetes I took the initiative to go to diabetes information classes, but was horrified at the dietary advice they were giving out. I knew it was outdated and completely wrong to tell people to eat 45g or even 60g of carb PER MEAL, low fat, heavily processed frankenfoods, all the old rubbish. I did argue a bit but didn’t have the authority to convince an ‘expert’. And there were people in the class complaining that it wasn’t ENOUGH carbs, how were they going to have their sugary cereal plus mounds of toast with jam plus juice for breakfast now?

• posted by SunnyB
    on

It’s so depressing and frustrating that the same old advice is still being peddled, even when it must be blatantly obviously even to those giving it, that the old advice just isn’t working.

Well done on seeing off all of those temptations Krysia – not sure I’d have managed to resist all of them.

This morning the scales gave me a shock – another blip upwards. Then I realised that transit has been slow, so giving that some attention in the hope against hope of being able to report something positive tomorrow.

Speaking of which, we are almost at the end of another week’s challenge. Question has to be askes – do we want another week’s challenge and is anyone willing to kick off a new thread for it?

Will report weeks end result here tomorrow.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Afternoon, everyone! I’ll summarize wins and things I could have done better
    as tomorrow finishes another week behind us. I’m hoping lots of us will
    be interested in carrying on the cause. I always enjoy new members too, so
    I’ll start it later today, Sunny, unless someone else wants to take a turn? What
    do you all think?

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Natalie – you did really well to reject the bad advice right from diagnosis. Unfortunately I followed the bad advice for 4 years before I realised it was totally wrong. This put me on a fast track to blindness and foot amputations – so thank goodness I found the BSD before I reached the point of no return.

You are right that the universe is out to test me at the moment. I am on a short break from work and have dashed up to a nearby garden centre to get a coffee and use their internet. I asked for my usual large Americano and cream and was served with a cappuccino!
    That used to be my favourite coffee but I managed to send it back. Maybe the carb monster is making one last attempt to get me back on the carbs!

SunnyB – slow transit does definitely affect the scales. Fingers crossed for a good reading on the scales tomorrow.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hey Allie – yes please do kick off a new challenge for next week. I’ve not had a great week – again – so would feel a fraud setting up a weekly thread to continue the challenge. I definitely need to get more focused and put in more effort. Have heard there might be a Pilates class starting at our village Hall, which I’m keeping my fingers crossed happens, as I need something of the sort to get me exercising properly again.
    Like you, I will report the successes and fails of the week tomorrow, when the scales give their verdict!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Weighed in today and a 2lb gain this week. All on 100% BSD food but lots of eating out over my 3 week break and carried on eating out this week – my first week back at work. Have not restricted calories at all over this time. So a 3lb gain over 4 weeks is not bad at all. Pre-BSD I have put on 10lb in one week on holiday.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Last day of week 7, and I’m posting my critique of successes and failures as they apply to my
    goals. I’ve managed to get my hydration back up to where it needs to be, still some wine creep,
    but I’ve closed the door firmly on the summer fruit. Only lost 1.5lbs., but I’m still 6.5lbs below
    target weight. Now that it is finally getting cooler, I VERY MUCH need to get back to brisk walking.
    Krys and Sunny, we’ve all had our minor summer mishaps…and they are MINOR, in the grand scheme
    of things. I’m turning the official page, and focusing on Autumn, and beyond that, the countdown to
    the festive season. I don’t have a scintilla of a doubt that we shall do it! You ladies always keep
    me in the zone 🙂 Think fires on the hearth, and creative soups! I’m getting profoundly tired of
    spinning lettuce for main meal salads, anyway.
    See everyone over on the week 8 thread! I very much hope that newer members will be joining us
    there, as well.

Allie

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Here is my critique for the end of week 7 too – largely a wasted week for me. I failed miserably on weighing/measuring all consumed, checking carb intake and failed on the 22/23hr fast. Did extend overnight fast, usually to 17/18hrs and other than Saturday, I kept the hydration up.

End result was that this morning I was dead on target weight, but not wriggle room achieved – hanging head in shame! Still, this is the start of a new weekly challenge and a chance to really get things right.

Please log in or register to post a reply.