How to support my husband?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Nelliedot
    on

Just about to start 8 week diet. I have had a lot of success following the 5:2 over the past two years and it is now a way of life.
    I have persuaded my husband who is a long term type 2 diabetic to embark on the 8 week blood sugar diet and he is very keen.
    As I know it won’t work for him unless I also do it I’m just a little concerned that as my weight and BMI BP and sugar levels are spot on it might be too severe for me and too much weight loss.
    Have any other partners had this experience?

• posted by Nursebean
    on

Maybe if you are worried about your own weightloss being too severe perhaps you should eat slightly more cals and carbs each day than your husband. I think its great that you two are going to be trying this together. I think being low carb and increasing your daily fat intake is the way forward anyway, no matter how low your weight. Snack on cheese! 🙂
    I wish you and your husband all the best on this exciting experiment – you won’t be disappointed!
    Bean xx

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Have a look at the website below which will tell you how many calories you need to maintain your weight (may be lower than you think, mine was) and then build your BSD round that as Nursebean suggests.

I have very successfully finished the BSD and am following this principle to maintain my weight.

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com

Hope that helps. Good luck!

• posted by Nursebean
    on

Oh you’re in maintenance mode are you IGORASUSUAL?! What method are you using to help maintain the wonderful weight loss you’ve achieved?! This is an issue that a lot of us are unsure of. We can’t do BSD forever – but what happens at the end? Just keep low carb and up the cals? I’m looking into going wheat free as cutting it out seems to produce great health benefits!
    Useful link there, thank you
    Bean xx

• posted by Nelliedot
    on

Thanks for your support. Perhaps a secret supply of cheese is the answer!

Maintain currently by doing 1 or 2 fast days depending on how good/bad I’ve been during the week. Find weighing myself everyday keeps me on top of it.

Will obviously not do 5:2 while on this but probably return to it with hubby once we’ve completed BD.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi Nursebean – yes both OH and I are on Maintenance now.

I am still using MFP, and I am continuing to avoid refined carbs. We were away at the weekend, and ate out, and I had no difficulties in avoiding potatoes, bread, rice etc whilst really enjoying the food (one meal was some lovely fresh whitebait – starter size was plenty ) with a tomato salad.

OH indulged himself in some chips with a steak at one point, and had immediate indigestion (perhaps from the volume of the chips rather than the potatoes themselves!) which made him think that they weren’t worthwhile having.

Both of us weigh every morning, and I continue to drink as much water as I can.

So I suppose I am maintaining the principles – however I did have a bit of a moment with a carton of Oppo yesterday where I found I was not really able to stop at one portion and that certainly threw out my calories – and my carbs!

The effect we have both had from reducing carbs to low levels has been so wonderful that I think I will try and maintain it as much as I can. But am working on how to include pulses, and other relatively carb-heavy veg, and still am not sure how many grams of carbs my body will accommodate.

A work in progress, therefore! Off to have a set of blood tests on Friday to see what BS and Cholesterol is – haven’t been pre-diabetic or Type 2, and tests some time ago were ok, so interested to see what the levels are now.

• posted by Nursebean
    on

Wow! That really is impressive. I think maintaining is in many ways the hardest part – but you both sound as though you’ve taken it like ducks to water! Its interesting when you try and over-indulge and discover that it just doesn’t have the same appeal anymore. I’m hoping that one day I won’t crave cereal – but its still a work in progress!!
    Well done!
    Bean xx

• posted by Frog
    on

Cheese – I finally tracked down an amazing cheese that I has in a restaurant a few weeks ago in a local Waitrose. Hope it tastes as good as I remember!

Please log in or register to post a reply.