How long does the plateau typically last?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Lauryloo
    on

I’m almost at the end of week 2. Having had a very successful first week I have lost nothing in week 2. I’ve read in many posts that this is normal .. something to do with the whoosh effect? Problem is I’m terrible at motivation and when I see no results I begin to lose hope…
    Can anyone advise me when I’ll start losing again? If not I may just have to give up and hide in a cave with 5 eggnog lattes… x

• posted by Daisy Daisy
    on

Hi Lauryloo,

the infamous plateau really does sap motivation, doesn’t it? Have you tried measuring yourself? Sometimes weight loss shows up there first But this diet really does work so just hang on in there. Also try reading the posts many others have experienced the same thing and come out the other side.

• posted by shalimar
    on

Don’t give up so fast!!
    Everyone is different. Give your lovely body a chance to adjust and catch up to you.

Plateau is different for everyone.

Also depends on how accurate you are counting everything you eat or drink. Depends on how much you have to loose in total … people who need/want to loose 100 pounds usually loose more than people who need to loose just a little. How much and type of exercise will affect weight loss. If you have any medical conditions etc. can affect weight loss. First week loss is usually the most for almost everyone. Plateaux can happen at any time during the journey.

Keep in mind your goal. Keep to the 800 calories. Do a little exercise. You can also track your carbs if you want … even though it is not part of MMosley’s BSD to keep track a lot of people here try to keep around or under 50 g of carbs per day … or an average thereof.

Good luck. P.S. there is a search button at the top right of this page. Search the word “plateau”…. there are TONS of posts on this.

• posted by Angiebabe
    on

Don’t give up each person is different I seemed to have settled into a fortnight pattern one week I stay the same but the next a bigger loss. I don’t think anyone told my body I measure every seven days! Keep going each day you follow the diet is like money in the bank you just have to wait/ weight(sorry I love puns) for your savings to grow and then you feel a million dollars.

• posted by topcac
    on

I read an article about why we plateau – so sorry but I don’t know where it is but the link was on this forum somewhere. Basically it said that when you lose fat your fat cells initially fill with water then eventually shed the water and you get that ‘whoosh’ effect ( in layman’s terms it’s water retention!) Although I don’t have too much to lose and assumed it would come off a half pound at a time I hadn’t lost anything for about a fortnight. I read the article and made a decision to up my water intake by a litre a day (from 3 to 4) – two days later 2 and a half pounds came off.

Never underestimate the power of plain old H2O….. 🙂

• posted by Peapod
    on

You have my sympathy Lauryloo, I am in the same boat as you. I finished week 2 and haven’t lost anything at all. I am so tempted to have some toast or porridge this morning as I am feeling disheartened. Last night the hunger pangs were really bad and I was convinced I would have a loss today but sadly not. Not going to give in and will stick with it as it has been a real challenge for me.
    I posted earlier about my lack of loss in week 2 and received some very helpful replies. Apparently the ‘whoosh ‘ effect will happen eventually and the weight will come off. I have had years of weekly weigh ins at slimming clubs and I think that may have conditioned me into expecting a weekly loss. Our bodies are complicated things and we can’t predict when the weight loss will show.
    Stick with the plan and fingers crossed we both see a loss soon.

• posted by Peapod
    on

The advice from Daisy Daisy to measure yourself is good. Despite no weight loss I found I had lost 3 inches from my waist and 2 from my hips. Nothing from the top, hope that goes eventually !

• posted by Lauryloo
    on

Thank you all for the replies! I will stick with it!! Xxxx

Please log in or register to post a reply.