How do you poach a successful egg?!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Jet51
    on

Just did the poached egg & salmon stack, well tried in the end the eggs got scrambled as had too many failed attempts even after checking out ways on the Internet! The end result was very tasty but too much with 2 portobello mushrooms so saved one for a hungry moment later! Must say my husband adored the Steak with creme fraiche & peppercorn sauce last night, even abstained from the red wine in the sauce it was still amazing! I did the foil steamed fish as don’t eat steak and it was equally good. Good luck to everyone out there! Any hints on poached eggs greatly appreciated…

• posted by theblackspot
    on

To poach an egg.
    Bring a pan of water to boil then turn it down so its simmering.

Crack a fresh egg (newer the better) into the water.

Wait

Lift out with a slotted spoon when done to your liking. After 3 or so minutes you may be able to lift the egg up and give it a gentle finger poke to see how firm the white is to give you an idea to doneness.

My ex father in-law swore by getting the water spinning before cracking an egg into the center to help it stay together.

I sometimes find they stick to the bottom of the pan as they sink and this sometimes leads to leaky yolk 😔 but generally they are pretty bomb proof.

Best of luck poaching.
    PS those little silicon cups for floating in water just equal more washing up, don’t bother!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi jet, my father does it by spinning the water and dropping the egg in. I gave up on that method years ago – too many messed up eggs. I bought an egg poacher. Perfect. I can do 4 perfect poached eggs at once. Aldi’s had some in a couple of weeks ago for £4.99. There might be some left 🙂

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hello blackspot, your ex-father-in-law was right about the stirring of the water to keep the egg white together. I have an old Margeurite Patten recipe book – gives the same instruction. Also, adding a dash of vinegar to the water… no-one has ever explained why, though… I found it a bit hit-or-miss. To be honest, I ended up getting one of those silicon dooberries – a little oil to prevent sticking and putting the lid on the saucepan to keep the heat in, you get a nice little domed egg.
    Rose

Please log in or register to post a reply.