How are people's metabolism long term into this BSD?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Cbizzle
    on

There hasn’t been many studies on longer term fasting so I wanted to ask those here how they’ve found fasting for prolonged periods of time and eating low carb. When people have come off the diet, have people found they have to eat far fewer calories and have far less tolerance to carbs?

(For info, I’m on the first week and have found it quite tough, mainly the lack of energy. I’m also worried that consistently low calories will damage my metabolism so have strategically eaten more today and had more carbs to give me a boost and allow me to do an intense exercise class tomorrow.)

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

My metabolism is apparently now that of someone 15 years younger, I haven’t experienced any problems tolerating carbs, although if I overdo it on carbs for too long like over Christmas I get wind and can feel the carb fog coming back slightly. I have an incredible amount of energy compared to what I had while eating complex food only and have never experienced any weakness or problems exercising. If you have a higher carb day it will simply rebuild glycogen stores, so you may not be able to tell if you are successfully adapting to fat burning. Fat burning is natural for the metabolism, but easy access to carbs tends to mean the adaptation is lost over time.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Cbizzle — no! I seriously believe this is a myth (false facts) and you will experience what I have experienced if you stay on the diet and “reset” your metabolism (which I think really happens) — I started March 2016, reached goal in June and have been maintaining since then. At first my weight loss was slow — I think it finally started to “click” around the 12 week mark — then I steadily lost weight until I hit goal (I lost about thirty pounds). From then on I have kept to a “restricted” carbohydrate diet, about 40 grams carbs per day (on a good day — maybe 60% of the time) but I am rather casual on the calorie count as long as I stayed with the General BSD principles — I can eat enough to feel satisfied and often, too full. I have not gained the weight back.
    What I have noticed: my metabolism is on “high” and I am usually warm, full of energy and I have lots of workout energy. I probably go to the gym 2-3 times per week for spin or step and the other days I try to hike or ski or work in the garden.
    I still fast for 20 hours or so about once or twice a week. I can’t really get past about 24 hours without serious hunger.
    I have become skeptical of the ” slowing metabolism” criticism of these kind of diets — if anything, my metabolism has gone back to my younger years (I’m 60) and I am enjoying the ride.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

If you read the book MM talks about metabolism. Apparently the studies were done just after the war and carried out on men who had been in concentration camps and whose bodies had completely shut down. In the past studies were only carried out to the scientific ability available. For example, now they can put you in a metabolic chamber and measure everything accurately. No, this diet does not slow down the metabolism, and yes, you will regain weight if you start over eating or eating rubbish, just like you would after any diet. I think the difference is that you are not expected to go back to your old ways, this is a way of life. On other diets I believe the number of people who regain all their weight or more is around 95%, although don’t quote me on exact numbers.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Saying the same as the others. I followed the 800 calories with very low carb for most of last year to reach my goal weight. I started as a diabetic but my blood sugars rapidly became normal.

Since reaching my original target weight (and going 14 pounds under it) I’ve been maintaining at the lower weight with no difficulty. I’ve slightly increased calories but stayed low carb. I’m never hungry, and have more energy (at 66) than for many a long year.

Hope this helps.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

I am staying low carb also but have increased calories now I am on maintenance. A very interesting thing has happened with my metabolism or circulation – I am not sure which one it is. I have all my adult life really felt the cold and this has got really really bad as I have got older. Husband used to joke that he couldn’t understand how someone could be so cold but still be alive.

This winter I seem to be radiating heat – it is as though the 800 seemed to rev up my metabolism or something. So have ditched the layers and a lot of the time I am wearing my lightweight tops. Have also ditched the hot water bottle and various things I used to heat in the microwave to keep me warm. I now say words no one has ever heard me say – like ‘I must turn the heating down because I am too hot’.

Energy levels are also up significantly. I feel like someone 20 years younger now. Although I really don’t remember feeling this good 20 years ago.

• posted by Cbizzle
    on

Thanks for all the comments! Glad to hear that for most people, it’s actually improved their metabolism. That’s a relief actually, so I will continue with the diet. Although like yesterday, if it gets too bad I will give myself breaks. Especially as I didn’t gain any weight today and for the first time in a while I’ve felt warm!!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Cbizzle
    I did feel the cold initially much more as I began to lose the fat layers. I was quite worried in the beginning as I thought that it would just get worse and worse as I lost all the fat. I am so pleased that it revved up my metabolism instead and I didn’t need the fat layers to keep me warm.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I think we all went through a period of feeling the cold more at the start, before we adapted, now as Krysia says, I am more likely than I ever was before to not bother putting a coat on if I am not going to be out for long in the winter, as I know I won’t get cold quickly. It really does seem like the metabolism goes into overdrive to keep you warm once you have adapted fully.

• posted by LochWatcher
    on

Wow, reading what happens on this diet for real people is fascinating – and really helpful.
    What you are saying goes against everything you read about starvation mode and metabolic damage, it it just shows you how it really is!

I am just at the end of my first week and really enjoying the forum and everything I am learning.

Thanks everyone 😃

Please log in or register to post a reply.