Here I go again…struggling with sugar addiction as ever…

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Pollygarter
    on

Hi all

I had a wonderful experience with the blood sugar diet and lost over 20lb. Well, over time most of that has come back again. I struggled and tried to start again earlier this year but failed. Now I need to go again. My core eating habits are improved greatly but I still binge and crave sugars. So here goes. I am expecting a few grumpy days to start with. I weighed in this morning. Was pleasantly surprised to find I am still 7 lb lighter than I was before I did the last 8 weeks.

Addicted. Absolutely addicted to sugar with all the craving, thick head, addled thinking and self-loathing that goes with it.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Welcome back Pollygarter – sorry to read you had quite a backslide and now find yourself facing getting your sugar addiction under control again.

As you have done the BSD before, you know you CAN do this and the fact you have made the decision to start again and make yourself accountable on the forum, is definitely a step in the right direction. I have always found the support on the forum invaluable, as there is always someone around to offer some wisdom and encouragement.

Try to plan your meals and banish sugar from your home as far as possible. Weigh, measure and record everything – whatever you are consuming and yourself. I’m sure you will find that you can get control again and achieve your goals if you do your best to stay focused on what you are doing and where you want to be.

Best of luck and remember to keep us posted and let us know about all your successes, no matter how small.

• posted by shubz
    on

I am generally sweet, or that’s what people tell me. So sweet, that I am diabetic. Ha ! It was all because I was addicted to sugar, my dad once told me to add coffee to my sugar syrup once in a while.

Anyway fasf forward, three things helped me wean off it.

1. Started with Suclarose. Hated other sweetners, this was working for me. Splenda. Now stevia etc are good options too. Even with sweet at home. Went from 3 spoons to 2 to 1 over months and now I enjoy the taste of tea without any.

2. Started eating small bites of sugary stuff. I used to wolf down cakes, ice creams. Started with telling myself 4 bites of anything, not more. Then 2. I was very proud when I started throwing away my ice creams after two bites.

3. Started making sweets at home, rather than buying outside. Helped coz didn’t make too much, and that too with Splenda.

Was a bit expensive and tough initially. But got my binging on sweets down. And over time, have lost the addiction. Ever since I started on BSD a few weeks back, have not had any sort of sugar, dessert or sugary drink. Feeling plenty of it in natural yogurt, asparagus and the likes 🙂

Everyone is different, so what worked for me might not for you. Or some of it just might 🙂

• posted by SaltySeaBird
    on

Hi Pollygarter, sugar addiction is hideous! I’m not a massive sugar addict, that is I can go a few days without it, but it is a monster that creeps up just when you think you’re safe. I did a whole week last week and by Friday, I didn’t crave sweet stuff st all BUT then I had ice cream after an afternoon of gardening, which lead to sweetened coffee and now here I am back in the monster’s claws! So starting again tomorrow and making myself realise that, like an alcoholic, 1 is too much because it’s never enough.
    Paul McKenna’s sugar book is quite good as a support, but in the end, you still have to resist.
    Keep going – we WILL get there.
    SSB

• posted by Pollygarter
    on

Thanks all for your lovely notes and helpful tips.

That was a difficult day yesterday. Ate very simply and little but was out in the evening too and felt very wobbly at one point so I had a few peanuts. Think that was a wise move and I am now on day 2. Thick headed, lethargic, aching in odd places and feeling very sorry for myself. I have not over eaten and I have kept off the sugars! Onwards.

Saltyseabird – you are so right…1 is too many as it won’t be enough!

• posted by Pollygarter
    on

Day 3.

I remember a midwife once telling me day 3 after childbirth is the weepy day. When new mums come down from the peak of childbirth and the cocktail of natural endorphins drops off, the hormones are in array and the reality hits. You don’t know why you’re such a mess, but you usually are. And she was right for me. Three times, will never forget that transition as you then start the long process of learning Ing to be a mum to this brand new life.

Again when I stopped smoking (various efforts over the years but now stopped for 15+ yrs). Day 3 every time was the day I most often cracked, and if I did not then I white knuckled it through.

Last night I had to go to bed at 9am as I wanted to eat sweet stuff so badly. This morning I am achey and thickheaded. I had an Epsom salts bath and my on target breakfast and walked the dogs. Late start for me for work and I am sat in the garden soaking up a few rays and enjoying such a peaceful time. Tummy rumbling like billy-oh but it’s ok. See how the day goes…

• posted by Chasing_Lions
    on

I’m another sugar addict. I’ve found drinking water with a slice of lemon helpful. I have an Empo bottle now and while lemon if my fave I’ve had strawberry and Lime in it as well. It helps me drink more and cuts some of the cravings too (not all of them but some is better than none)

• posted by Pollygarter
    on

Done a week now!

I hopped on the scales this morning and am 4lb down. That’s really encouraging. It is also so hot I do not feel like eating, which feels strange in itself as I always feel like eating. Drinking lots of water and grazing. Keep cool today everyone x

• posted by JCH187
    on

Well done on your progress so far! Similiar story to you, lost 28lbs on the 8 week plan last year but I’ve fallen off the wagon in a spectacular fashion since then and my sugar addiction came back with vengeance. I’ve just had my food shop delivered and I’m ready to start again. Good luck x

• posted by Pollygarter
    on

I was out late on Thursday night and felt a bit wobbly after an evening drinking green tea. I really needed to eat something as I had a long drive home. The petrol station I stopped at was rubbish, full of sweeties and rubbish. Remembered seeing someone wrote if you have to go off piste, eat too much of the right stuff than less of the wrong stuff. I found a packet of peanuts but it was 100g. And I ate the lot over the car drive. Doh. Then went on to overeat the next day too. I am back on it again today. Too old to go AWOL. Wherever you go, there you are!

• posted by crabbycams
    on

Well done Pollygarter for making the best choice in a difficult situation. I love peanuts so try to avoid them as I cannot stop eating them and, if salty, immediately want beer!

All the best as we once again climb back onto that wagon.

• posted by Mermaid
    on

Fellow sugar addict here.

I’d say that most of my pre-diet eating was very healthy, but the problem is sugar and chocolate binges. When I start I can’t stop. I’ve cut out sugar and dieted more times than you can imagine. The first 3 days are hard, then I get into it and get that feeling “why can’t everyone do this”… until I fall off the wagon.

I started this diet 1 week ago, and today I was asked to make a lemon meringue pie for a party, so I made one for home too, as my daughter was coming home (and my skinny husband loves them too). So… I decided to have a tiny slivver, just to taste, and another… now my daughter gave me a tiny box with two Godiva chocolates, which I couldn’t resist.

Not too much, but I’ll be over my carb limit today. Hope I haven’t set myself back too much…

I think I’ll take Chasing Lions’ suggestion, and have water with lemon…

• posted by Pollygarter
    on

Hey there fellow sugar junkies and assorted 800-clubbers!

So…I lost 3lb in Week 2. 7lb loss so far.

This is really good, especially as I had my peanut binge earlier in the week when I got caught out one evening desperate for something to eat when out n about and the garage only sold trash. And peanuts were the best option. But the bag was too big and soon entirely empty. Oops.

So i would say it did pay, the advice I think I picked up here in the forums, which was if you are going to go off track… eat too much of the right foods rather than any of the wrong foods.

I am right back on track. Changes I’m noticing? Clear head. Waist reappearing. Belt in a notch. I thought my mother had put sugar on some strawberries she served up cos they were so sweet and delicious. I have coped with a heavy workload, loads of late night gigs recently on top of a day job (I perform stuff) and rescued a sheep from a river with the help of Son no 2 and a mate (which a visiting dog chased in…goodness.. how awful was that? Sheep ok..me just a bit bruised and strained) and in all of this, on such a low intake I feel fresh and bright and I have not lost my rag. I feel more robust. And I laugh all the time. Why oh why do I forget this…and swap these fab changes for the short term hit of sugar high and all the rubbish and tiredness that goes with it, and being overweight

7lb down and happy! Keep going everyone.

• posted by Mermaid
    on

Well done Pollygarter! Especially with the peanuts…

I must confess something. This weekend I had to make lemon meringue pies, one to give to a friend and the other for home (eldest daughter was home). Anyway, I got through making the pies without so much as licking the spoon, baked them, served up two slices to my skinny healthy H… then I thought I’d test it. Just a tiny slivver, not even 0,25 of a slice. Then another. The next day again. So I ended up with eating a slice, in very tiny amounts. And… I couldn’t resist a fresh fig. Just one. Better than my usual spectacular wagon-falling off (and oh-so-nice).. But a definite diet breaker. I was up to 72g of carbs yesterday, and 925 cals.

So… no weight loss this morning (day 3 of week 2). Overall weight loss so far is 2.6kg (5.7 lbs).

I’ve noticed similar things… clear headedness, energy, calm. Less of a bulging girth. Food (all food!) tastes better. More enregy. And my skin looks younger, fresher. (I’m 56 pretending to be 46).

• posted by SaltySeaBird
    on

Hi all, this thread has gone a bit quiet. But I have managed 8 days without sugar and feeling really good. The cravings have gone. This article was on Facebook this morning – it just goes to show how many complex things affect the way our bodies and minds work.
    http://www.sbs.com.au/food/article/2017/05/30/michael-mosleys-plan-killing-your-cravings

Having said that, I’m going out for afternoon tea with my bf tomorrow; I’m moving to live in Spain in the autumn so we have promised ourselves afternoon tea in as many lovely place as we can before I go. I’m going to do it mindfully – enjoy her company and the tea consciously and without guilt.
    How is everyone else doing?
    SSB

• posted by JCH187
    on

I’m doing ok, had a two day offsite meeting this week and did have some sugary stuff but straight back on the diet the following day and have stuck to it since, lost 3lbs in my first week (I’m not doing the 800, aiming for under 1200 low carb). Starting to feel better in myself. Looking forward to my cooked brunch later 🙂

• posted by SaltySeaBird
    on

That sounds really good JCH187 – I think once the cravings have gone, we can allow an occasional ‘treat'(?) without blowing the whole thing out of the water. I agree, I do just feel better in myself without sugar. btw, I have also stopped drinking alcohol. I was never a heavy drinker but I do find it affects my sleep so I think that is also contributing to feeling better.
    Keep smiling and keep going!
    SSB X

• posted by JCH187
    on

I gave up alcohol 7 years ago, best thing I ever did, I used to drink too much and it’s just empty calories, felt so much better for doing it, can’t think I’ll ever go back to it now. It affected my sleep too, zone out then wide awake a few hours later, left me feeling tired and craving sugar the next day.

• posted by SaltySeaBird
    on

That’s how I felt – go to sleep quickly but then wake up at 3.00am hot and feeling awful – and I don’t even drink very much – maybe two glasses of wine in an evening.
    Sadly, my OH makes real ale ( he has his own mini-brewery) and it’s fabulous! But as MM says ‘liquid toast’!
    I will still have an occasional small glass of that but the calories/carbs are sooooo high!
    Like you, I’m not doing the 800, just cutting the carbs for general health and to get rid of my ‘carb baby’!
    SSB

• posted by Pollygarter
    on

Hi all.. I had a quiet week as I got a shoulder injury in a long story involving a shaggy dog, a sheep and a river rescue. Doh. I also thought I’ve got the hang of how much I should eat now so I can stop all the measuring and weighing.

Wrong.

I’ve gained 1lb. I’ve been eating the right things but too much of them. So back to weighing. The good things are still going on though as I have kept away from sugar. My weakness is nuts. I have at least one late night a week and then a long drive home and I need to eat something during that time. Most nut packs are far too big to come in under daily calorie allowance. Have just found some at ASDA which are around 100cals in a small tube. Perfect. I know I could measure them out myself. Yeah. Those calorie bombs just slip down so easily. I am 51 and I know myself. These little tubes from ASDA cost about 32p I think and that’s fine. I can stop myself opening a packet, but once opened…well.

I stopped drinking like a few others have mentioned. Five years ago I think. Happier for that. The personal cost: benefit ratio had reversed as I got older!

Sugar cravings have gone. Mouth feels fresh in mornings. Yes it does. Skin is good and sleeping much better. Just been eating too many calories so no weight loss. Interesting though to see that it’s not just the weight loss which is making us feel so good, it is the absence of sugar.

• posted by Mermaid
    on

Hi sweet things/ sugar lovers!

Day 3 of week 3 and 4.5 kg down since BSD started! I’m pretty pleased with myself, so far! Weight loss has come in fits and starts, rather than smoothly. Zero in week 2, then whoosh!

I am feeling better, clear headed etc. but sometimes tired (I workout a lot). However, I think about food all the time. I wish I could say that I’m over sugar, but I know who would survive if me and a chocolate cake were locked in a room… so I must see myself as an addict. Once a sugarholic, always a sugarholic? I like a drink, but can resist when necessary.

I’ve promised myself a treat after 4 weeks on the BSD, is that crazy? Or should I train myself to be able to have a little every now and again?

• posted by Esnecca
    on

I wouldn’t do it, if I were you (which I was). Thinking of sugar as a “treat” instead of a toxic substance that has done real damage to your body over the years is part of the problem. Detoxing from sugar and white carbs is difficult because the addiction preys on your mind. Giving in to that pull will only strengthen it and weaken you. For many of us, that one chocolate or sliver of pie quickly turns into a carb bender that can last hours, days, weeks, months. Even if you’re lucky enough to avoid that fate, and given how much sugar still dominates your thoughts the best case scenario is probably unlikely, you’ll set your progress back. Your body will revert to burning carbs, not fat, and mentally you could find yourself back in the white-knuckle hell of week one.

You’re on the BSD for 8 weeks. That’s a very short time, so just do it straight. Confront your obsessive thoughts instead of giving into them. You are not sugar’s slave. Don’t grovel and abase yourself to it. You are the sole master of your body.

• posted by SaltySeaBird
    on

I agree whole-heartedly with Esnecca – I gave up sugar for 3 months and still thought of it as a ‘treat’; I eventually succumbed to vanilla latte (I know….) and before I knew it I was well and truly hooked again.
    I think somewhere else on this thread, it is suggested that you find something non-food as a treat for when you feel you deserve one but think of sugar for what it is – an addictive poison which will damage your body and brain.
    For a nudge, have a look at Paul McKenna’s Stop Your Sugar Cravings – apart from telling you the truth about what sugar does to you (and it’s really not pretty), he has his relaxing mind-programming audios which really do help ward off the cravings.
    Good luck with this – everyone on this thread knows what a monster sugar-addiction is.
    SSB

• posted by Mermaid
    on

Esnecca and SaltySeaBird,

Thank you both. Wise thoughts, wise words.

I’ve read so much about sugar since about the year 2000, (for anyone who’s interested in some good reads from different angles: Potatoes not Prozac; Fat Chance: The bitter truth about sugar; OMG I Would Die Without Chocolate – How I Quit Sugar and Didn’t Kill Anyone) following which I tried to detox from it n-times. Each time I swore I wouldn’t touch the stuff again.

Obviously I know I have a problem, and have failed, time and time again. It’s not lack of healthy eating; I’ve long been a big fan of the Mediterranean Diet. I put on 15kg while writing my thesis (just having sugary somethings to get me through) and another 10kg since then. Actually more, because inbetween I have been yoyo-dieting for over 20 years.

I might have a look at Paul McKenna. Or meditate.

Thing is, we actually need to live in and around sugar. The hard part is staying on the wagon.

• posted by Pollygarter
    on

Mermaid…excellent news on the weight loss. Well done.

The chemical structure of sugar and alcohol is similar, I’ve been told. Of course alcohol is what happens when yeast n sugar get together. And there’s an old American saying: “Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker”. Esnecca has some very motivating things to say – thank you. Let’s keep on at this and as you said – face the obsessive addictive sugar pangs instead of giving in.

• posted by JCH187
    on

I’m at the end of my second week and I’m 5lbs down, I’m not doing the 800 but a low carb under 1200 calories a day. I’m only 1lb away from when I fell off the low carb wagon this time last year which I’m pretty pleased about. I need to vary my diet more, I started with foods I relied on last time but I’m going to make a curry this week as I need something spicy. I made the roasted broccoli and cheddar soup from the recipe section at the weekend and that’s lovely, I also discovered the cauliflower rice which I also love. As I type this there are 12 muffins sat on the desk opposite and I haven’t given in to them!!!

• posted by Mermaid
    on

Well done JCH187! 5lbs down in two weeks is great. I might switch to a low carb diet like that after my 8 weeks of 800 is done, so it’s good to hear that it’s working.And well done on resisting the muffins!

I must admit I cheat just a little if I’m really hungry, but only with things like a small piece of cheese or nuts that will take me a little over 800 cals. I’m quite active, so I think I can get away with it.

Curry sounds nice! My favourite meals so far have been from the recipes on this site (like savoury cheesecake) or by googling low carb. I’ve also grown fond of cauliflower rice with mince or chicken, and the family like it too.

Here’s a brief summary of what I have learned about alcohol (sorry if you know this already); Alcohol is metabolized by the liver, like fructose is (but not glucose). The liver converts the ethanol in alcohol to aldehydes, and then into glucose. Fructose has a different chemical structure to alcohol, but both can cause liver damage through their metabolic processes and through building up a fatty liver, leading to insulin resistance.

Alcohol and sugar have similar effects on our brains (releasing endorphins and dopamine), leading to addiction. But personally, I am not much of a drinker. I don’t crave alcohol like I do chocolate, and can go weeks without thinking about it. On the other hand, chocolate makes me feel like I am in heaven. I’ve been having 1 square of 85% dark chocolate per day, and it’s very satisfactory. I don’t crave for more.

If it were milk chocolate, I would fall off the wagon.

• posted by JCH187
    on

I did the 800 last year and lost I think it was 27lbs, I have a lot to lose and when I started again I knew addressing my carb addiction was the most important factor. My father and his sister are both Type 2 and over the last year or so I’ve lost the sensation in a couple of my fingers which I know (from watching Dr Michael) is a warning that diabetes is on it’s way. I wanted to lose the constantly craving sweet stuff feeling and I knew from last time this was the answer. When I did the 800 I would cheat too but with the right foods, like you MM I would have some nuts or a piece of cheese. I’m not a great cook and don’t enjoy cooking but I love salad so eat a lot of that. Every weekend I have to cook a batch of something for the freezer so I always have something in there.

• posted by Mermaid
    on

Well done for last year! Did you gain it all back, or just a part? Was there one thing that triggered you, or just a general relaxation to carbs and sugar (as in my case). What can we do to stop ourselves backsliding? I think I might need to monitor myself all my life, for example, because as soon as I stop, I slide…

Like you, I have several diabetics in the family, including my father, type 2 since he was 60, and now, at 85, with serious problems with peripheral neuropathy, sight, hearing taste, sores on his feet, hypertension, memory, heart… He hardly moves, is almost deaf, can’t see too well, falls asleep most of the day… this is scary, I don’t want to be like that.

• posted by JCH187
    on

I gained 17lbs of what I lost, I started calories counting in January lost 11lbs, but switched to this a couple of weeks ago as when calories counting I allowed myself too much sweet stuff. I’m an emotional eater, any excuse, bored, lonely, you name it. I hated my job last year, split with my fella and then had a house move all of which threw me. I changed jobs and am settled in my new home so no more excuses. I struggle with the mental side, stopping those wobbles and I’m not sure how to address that.

Diabetes is a horrible disease, my dad doesn’t seem quite as unwell as yours but has many of the same problems. I’m determined to sort this out before I get to the same stage.

• posted by Mermaid
    on

Sounds like you had a hell of a year, JCH.

I’m also an emotional eater. Not only negative feelings, though boredom, anger, anxiety etc. will push me over the edge, but also positive ones; celebrating, rewarding myself, going to the cinema, etc with chocolate. And I can’t stop when I start… doesn’t matter if I hide the chocs in the highest cupboard, I’ll be up an down a ladder all day till their gone.

I feel calmer without sugar. It’s like sugar fuels and soothes the wobbles at the same time. Today, when I need to do some serious writing and thinking, I crave the sugar like a baby craves its dummy. That’s part of my psychological, not phsyical addiction. Sites I’ve been on say things like “go for a walk when you feel a craving”, but if I’m craving because I have to sit down to work, it doesn’t help. It’s anxiety, and I suppose I need to work on calming myself through meditation.

Here’s one that I use (and need to do more): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91NmnS2py40

• posted by Pollygarter
    on

Hi JCH …I had a similar weight regain after doing the blood sugar diet last year. I kept off half a stone. Which I’m quite impressed with as I’ve been a serial dieter all my life and have usually ended up fatter each time. This time some of the better eating habits stuck. My dad is also diabetic and got some serious issues. Mother on the other hand is hopping along just fine with no diabetes at 78. I just feel so much better currently in week 3 with no sugar.

Have to remember that it’s an addiction and to fight the pangs, not give in to them.

• posted by b44
    on

Just wondering if anyone has ever tried hypnosis to try and manage the sugar/ carb craving? I have often thought bout trying it but never got around to it and I don’t think it particularly cheap.

• posted by JCH187
    on

I think you’re right Polly, I think some of the eating habit from last year did stay with me, I cut right down on pasta, potatoes and bread. The meals I eat were pretty healthy but I’m a serial grazer/snacker but if it’s not in the cupboard I can’t eat it. This time I’m doing my food shop online to avoid the temptation of the snack aisles!!

Interesting you should mention hypnosis b44, I was in the doctors a while back and there was a poster up about it and it got me thinking. I’m a bit of a control freak and I’m not sure I’d let myself “get onto the zone” but would be interested to hear others thoughts on it. One of my really good friends gave up smoking this way so I know it can work.

• posted by Mermaid
    on

JCH & Pollyg, glad to hear that some habits are changed! There’s hope yet…

I bet most people are like me, serial dieters. I know the calories in almost everything, but once I’m back in an old pattern, I’m happy to ignore this… I also eat healthy food, but, likeJCH, a snacker and grazer (but, um, seem to avoid grazing on sticks of celery ). I’m not a big rice or potato eater, but love warm bread with butter, and of course biscuits & especially chocolate.

Hypnosis… my H is a GP who has taken a million extra courses, including hypnosis. I’ve asked him several times to hypnotise me, but he said hypnosis can’t change what we don’t want to change, and the best solution is self-hypnosis, through deep relaxation methods like sophrology. He also believes in firm self-discipline, and of course he’s skinny, doesn’t smoke/ drink etc. and runs like he’s 21. He nags me somewhat, which just makes me hide the chocolate wrappers. Conclusion; it’s essential to keep this in our own hands.

• posted by Pollygarter
    on

Warm bread with butter. Mermaid…now that sounds sooo good. That idea has me nearly drooling. I am back on the horse after last week’s overeating on the good stuff. Yes I agree, I know all the rules and ignore them when I’ve gone off piste. I watch those naturally slim people just have a little of what they fancy but that balance eludes me.

Self hypnosis. D’you know I used that to stop smoking and it worked. I know what you mean about the cost, I did once pay a large sum 25 yrs ago to a hypnotherapist to stop smoking. It worked for 3.5 yrs. Then I lapsed. And I found a library book which had taught me self hypnosis and it helped enormously. My mother in law was a hypnotherapist and she taught me a bit but really it isn’t rocket science. I think much of the training is about ethics when practising on other people. You presumably are never going to try to hypnotise yourself to do something you don’t want to do. And part of us always wants hot bread n butter. Just like part of me always wanted a nice ciggie with a coffee. But the cost:benefit balance was poor and I wanted the ciggies gone… am glad for it. I wonder. Somehow never thought about doing it for eating. Hmmm. Thinks! Great idea. Thank you. I’m going to ponder on this some more.

• posted by JCH187
    on

I have to confess the muffins got the better of me yesterday, after I’d eaten it I felt it really wasn’t worth the calories so lesson learnt there!

Can I ask what you guys are having for your breakfasts please? I need some inspiration… Time is of the essence in the morning (I have a mog with renal failure so have to spend time tempting him to eat).. At the moment I have greek yogurt with seeds, berries or apple and cinnamon, at the weekend I’ll have brunch so a Heck sausage, some bacon, mushrooms etc. I can’t face anything cooked first thing and I’m not a massive fan of eggs. Any bright ideas?

• posted by Mermaid
    on

Hi,
    Don’t worry about one day eating the wrong things. I’ve managed to be good this week, so far, but determined that if I fail, I won’t give up!

My breakfast is probably not 100% OK, but I can’t face a cooked meal first thing either. So I made this mix of all bran, oats and low sugar granola, measuring everything, and have 40g of that in the morning with greek yoghurt, a little kefir and 50ml of low fat milk (or it’s too thick and pasty). Sometimes I have 10 raspberries too. It means my carbs are heavier in the morning, but as I run/walk in the mornings, it’s justified. I try to keep under 50g of carbs a day.

• posted by Pollygarter
    on

Hi All..JCH.. my breakfasts tend to be milk or yoghurt based or egg. Have had tomato and onion fried with a tiny bit of bacon which is delish. Like you I’m on the hop most mornings so I’ve not got a lot of time.

I go to a pilates class. Started that about six months ago and most mornings I do just a few of the stretches and that really wakes me up. I do one just when I’ve given the dogs n cat their breakfast and before mine…stretch up arms and then lower them and allow head and shoulders to follow and hang right down, bent at waist then slowly uncurl back up again. Refreshing wake-up call! I also love to go and stand on the grass barefoot when I let the dogs out for their morning wee. Feel like I’m noticing life more.

• posted by Mermaid
    on

Linda, the article didn’t open… what was it about? Not SPAM, I hope!

Pollygarter, I love the feeling of grass underfoot! Yes, I’m definitely feeling more alive! More energetic!

Weight loss has stalled again. I’ve done masses of exercise, been drinking water, sleeping right. Calories have been on the high side, on average 871 per day, 57g carbs, but with the amount I’ve been running/walking, I should have lost at least 1,5kg! I suspect it’s the small quantities of fruit I’ve been having… despite being in the diet… which increases the insulin response.

Anyone have this problem?

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Have you been checking your measurements? Maybe you are hoarding water for some biological reason like muscle repair and will have a whoosh moment in the next few days when the work is complete.

• posted by AnnieW
    on

The article opened for me – lots of interesting info LindaA.

• posted by Mermaid
    on

Hi Mixnmatch,
    Yes, may be muscle repair / water retention, as I’ve been pushing myself. I’ve only lost 4cm this week total (a bit each of various body zones), but it’s going in the right direction, I suppose.

I’ve overdone lunch today as I added roasted nuts to the spinach, which are very high calorie. Still within the carb range though.

• posted by JCH187
    on

How’s everyone doing? I’ve lost another 1lb this week so I’m 6lbs down in total but it doesn’t look like I’m going to hit my first mini goal. It’s been hard to keep myself on track this week, struggling with food boredom a bit!

• posted by SaltySeaBird
    on

Hi JCH187, if it’s any comfort to anyone – I am being complete rubbish at the moment – sabotaging myself at every step ☹️
    SSB

• posted by Mermaid
    on

JCH, congrats on the 1lb

I’ve lost about the same. Very slow loss. I wonder whether this is still insulin resistance, and whether I should give up my 40g of cereals in the morning, just for a while. Or reduce it to half. It’s most of my carbs for the day.

Boredom? What are you eating? I’m finding loads of variety, and my family are loving the new recipes. Cottage pie with puréed cauliflower; crustless Quiche made with Greek yogurt and courgette, onion and spinach; baked herby chicken breasts with cauliflower rice… etc… And when I’m desperate for something like a cracker, I’ve found Atkins low carb crackers. It’s so important to find new foods to enjoy, even if the diet is slower, or we begin craving again.

SSB, I’ve sabotaged myself in millions of diets more times than I can remember. You can stop . But you need to choose to. Don’t beat yourself up!

• posted by SaltySeaBird
    on

Thank you Mermaid – another day today. I need to find a distraction for my ‘weak’ times.
    SSB

• posted by Pollygarter
    on

Hi all

I’ve come away for a few days with patchy internet service so won’t be posting much til home late Thurs. I did weigh before I came away and have reversed the weight gain and lost 8lb from the start now. It feels like we are all struggling currently. It’s hard work. Love the recipe suggestions Mermaid, thanks! I feel so much better already for this. Was just reading back up thread and am going to repeat this quote from Esnecca’s posting as it’s very motivating to me:

“You’re on the BSD for 8 weeks. That’s a very short time, so just do it straight. Confront your obsessive thoughts instead of giving into them. You are not sugar’s slave. Don’t grovel and abase yourself to it. You are the sole master of your body.”

• posted by crabbycams
    on

Hi Mermaid, I totally get what you said about the sugar calming and causing the wobbles. I was away last week and gave in to the yummy sugar things on offer. By the end of the week I was just so irritable. Really impatient with everyone around me and not a nice person.

Feel better this week now I’m home and not being offered desserts or morning teas. I only want the sugar when I’m bored/stressed etc. Now I know it will only make it worse. Not sure it will help me resist though. Really wanted chocolate this afternoon as I tackled challenging work.

And you know, most of the sweet stuff wasn’t even that nice. I did enjoy the chocolate brownies, the chocolate mud pud with cherry sauce and cream and the fruit salad and cream. The theme there is chocolate, and cream. The cookies, crumble and pies, well, meh!

So the struggle continues. I’m finishing off a few things in the frig and they won’t be replaced. I’ll restrict myself to the one square of dark chocolate a day at work. None at weekends.

Please log in or register to post a reply.