Help

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by tokyo14
    on

i am about to start this and am doing some planning i have read the book but a few questions
    1) can i have porridge for breakfast?
    2) i have milk in tea should it be full fat
    3) can i have pesto as i have a recipe for salmon with pesto on top
    4) i have seen the hummus recipe is it just eaten on its own?!?
    sorry for long list of questions but i want to get this right
    thanks

• posted by Stewart
    on

HI TOKYO14

I would be concerned about porridge, it may have slightly too many carbs, my rule is, if I eat something and it makes me feel hungry after then there were too many carbs.

Count the calories, I use skimmed milk as it is lower in calories.

You may find salmon quite high in calories as it is an oily fish, and the pesto may be high in calories, but then just have a smaller portion…

I would dip celery, red pepper etc in the hummus.

My advice would be to log and do a calorie count on all you eat to stick to the calorie limit.

Hope this helps.

Doug

• posted by Frog
    on

hi tokyo

there was a whole thread about porridge very recently – there is a search box in the top right hand corner if you want to find it – basically whole rolled oats soaked overnight – yes, in moderation, as a bit carby (17g in 30g of oats) – instant porridge that you just pour water on and/or microwave – no

I don’t have full fat milk in tea because I don;t like the taste (but full fat everything else, yoghurt, cheese, etc) – it’s up to you. I worked out my average daily milk use in tea and just added that quantity in every day, but I’m having to re-think as I am drinking a lot less tea and more water.

Pesto – look at the ingredients on the jar and add into your daily calorie/carb intake – or the recipe ingredients if you’re making from scratch.

Hummus is good with crudite – carrot.cucumber celery etc. I often have a spoon with salad, instead of salad dressing (mayonnaise is a killer in terms of calories)

Good luck, hope it goes well for you

• posted by tokyo14
    on

just confused with skimmed milk as thought full fat yoghurt was ok
    agree about salmon but saw it was in the menu planner and was just a teaspoon of pesto its going to take some getting used too i think !!!!

• posted by Izzy
    on

you could use any milk in your tea. The reason for full fat products is they have less sugar and crap added AND they fill you up more for longer. A bit of milk in your tea won’t really fill you up so you won’t need it to be full fat, just use whatever you like in your tea and count the calories. If you drink a lot of tea this could add up and this is why the poster who said it uses skimmed. Instead of having to count milk I largely switched to herbal teas instead and I’m happy with this, I do have a cup of normal tea now and then though (with whatever milk is there)

• posted by tokyo14
    on

thanks for your replys think its the no sugar in my tea is my first hurdle starting that tomorrow having a sort slow easy run in this week getting rid of all the choc etc seeing my gp tues just to get all clear to go ahead but cant see it been a problem think i may struggle on breakfasts and lunches as i am a cereal for breakfast then sandwiches for lunch guess its just getting used to a different way of eating !!!!!!

• posted by Syb
    on

Tokyo, I felt exactly the same. Cereal and milk for breakfast and sandwiches at lunch for most of my 40+ years. It’s a really big mind shift!
    I have moved to berries and yoghurt for breakfast and either salad/chicken or other cold meat or leftovers for lunch. It’s a lot of effort but worthwhile. Take a look at the egg muffins as a lunch alternative. Almost like sandwiches with cottage cheese/eggs and ham.

Good luck.

Please log in or register to post a reply.