Hello – I'm new here

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by HollyUK
    on

I have had type 2 diabetes for some years – probably about 6 or 7? I am overweight – I have a BMI just over 35, and from what I can tell I need to lose approx 6 stone to get to a BMI of around 22.5. Gosh that looks bad!

A friend of a friend lent me Michael’s 8 week Blood Sugar Diet book – I’ve just ordered my own copy. I was really blown away with the content. It’s going to be hard because my other half is not inclined to change his diet significantly (despite also recently being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes – although I suspect if he sees me doing well with it, he may get a little competitive and join in – at least that is what I am hoping for). In the mean time I will have to struggle to resist some of his food choices! I do have a ‘healthy’ appetite so will be interesting to see if I can stick to it.

I think I’ll be OK if I can get a rhythm going with my meals – I am a creature of habit so once I suss out a few meal choices that I like, I should be OK. I have a bit of a challenge because I don’t like mushrooms, and I only like my eggs boiled, fried or poached (I can’t bear to eat them when they are mushed up together in omelettes, scrambled eggs etc). However, I like most healthy food – veggies, salads and so on. I like fairly plain food too. Is there anywhere on the forum where people discuss meal options or ideas?

I do my shopping on a Friday or Saturday so I’ll start then – we have a self catering holiday booked in a couple of weeks, but I guess I can work with that – I can still have the protein with salads etc. I think my hardest will be lunches – especially on the go. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

• posted by JCH187
    on

I’ve just started (day 5), there’s a thread on Fast 800 called something like what have you eaten today, there are loads of ideas on there – I found it very useful as I’m not much of a cook. There’s also the recipe section which I’ve printed off a few ideas from (the cottage pie with cauliflower mash is lovely). Also lots of folks just add food onto regular posts so it’s worth having a good read through the threads.

I’m the opposite with eggs will only eat scrambled or an omelette but I’m regularly incorporating these into my meal plans now.

My best advice would be plan ahead and drink lots of water!

• posted by HollyUK
    on

Thanks for the tips – I’m having a browse around the forum and am finding it really helpful. Well done on reaching day 5! I’m doing my prep now so I can shop for the right stuff on Friday, then I can start.

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

You may find it easier with a slow intro by just attempting to cut down on the worst offenders of bread, cereals and alcohol. Sugar is the thing to cut down and studying the carbs as sugars in your regular foods will show the way. The rest is important but some progress is virtually guaranteed if you get into the not eating between early evening and morning. Good luck. Spouses will often be converted when you start to succeed. You cannot eat an elephant in one go but in small bites over time it would disappear!

• posted by HollyUK
    on

Thanks SkyWalker – I don’t drink hardly any alcohol, but I do have a very sweet tooth which I have to work on.

• posted by jul
    on

I have the worst sweet tooth ever and I can honestly say I’m not missing it or craving at all in fact I thought I was doing something wrong as I was really surprised. I’m on week 3 now and my toughest day was actually day one I’ve cut sugar from my tea and that was a big thing for me. I’m not the best cook either and didn’t cook my meal properly and was sick and quit unwell however I can say I’m learning everyday. I like you prefer plain food so have been eating lots of nice fresh salads and chicken and find I’m never hungry. I think you will be surprised by how quickly you will adapt. Good luck.

• posted by HollyUK
    on

Thanks jul – I think the support on here will be key to success!

Please log in or register to post a reply.