Hello I'm new and starting tomorrow the 5/9/16

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Vikkia
    on

Hi guys where do I start?? I do my food shop tomorrow, so I need some ideas on what to buy etc.. Can some one point in the direction of a menu planner/ plan to follow ? I need to loose about 40 kgs. I’m looking to do the fast plan. Thanks looking forward to getting to know every one and sharing my success..
    Vikki

• posted by Frog
    on

Welcome Vikkia
    the book has a recipe section and meal plan – or you can simply adapt your normal meals and drop the carbs.
    There is a search box at the top right hand corner of the website page where you can access previous threads on subjects that you are interested in – for example “Shopping list” will bring u a number of existing threads.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Start by doing a menu plan before you shop then you know what to buy. If you don’t have the book there are recipes for every meal on here to get you started. My staples are veg and more veg, red peppers are a must as are courgette and celery and don’t forget the cauliflower, there is so much you can do with it (see cauliflower recipe thread). Did I mention spinach. Cold sliced ham or chicken, eggs, full fat cheese and full fat greek yoghurt. Thats a start.

Good luck, you will love it and the results.

on

Forgot to mention the butter and olive oil.

• posted by Vikkia
    on

Thank you everyone, which book is the best one to start with?

• posted by Snoop
    on

Hi Vikkia, I’m no expert as I’m still waiting for my copy of Michael Mosley’s book The 8-week blood sugar diet. Meanwhile, I learned a lot by reading the various sections in the Get Started menu at the top of the page. It’s a bit difficult to give you any advice because the BSD covers several options, as you’ll see in the Get Started menu.

If you want an actual plan to follow, you’ll need to look at the options and decide which suits you best and buy the appropriate book. They’re not that expensive.

Good luck, whichever option you go for!

• posted by Haze
    on

Hi – I’m starting tomorrow too- off to the supermarket after reading all your advice and reading the 8 week book. Keep you posted X

on

For me it has to be Michael Mosley’s 8 week Blood Sugar Diet book but depends on whether you are diabetic and want to do the full thing or just want to lose some weight. We are all different. If you buy a book by someone else then it is this diet and I know there are lots of them around but in my opinion, not as good.

• posted by Can do Granny
    on

I ave been on the 8 week BSD for 2 months and have lost 6 kgs and 2 cm from my waist. The recipes in the book are great and I have never felt hungry. Have gone down a size as well. So happy and will eat like this all the time.

• posted by 54andfatnomore
    on

there are 2 threads that might be of use.

starting Monday 29th august anyone want to join me

and

2nd 8 weeks starting Tuesday august 30th

they contain people on ther first 8 weeks, people on their second and all in between. but they show great tips from people who are on all stages of the journey. what has worked want food is good lots of advice, feelings they had etc etc

• posted by Alimhealey
    on

Hi. I’m new too. Also starting today. Done my measurements. Eek! Shopping later. Excited to be healthier in the future and slimmer. Want to be a healthy mum for my daughter. She runs rings around me at the moment. Hopefully I’ll be giving her a run for her money very soon.

• posted by sukhi
    on

Hi I’m new too and starting today. I’ve read the 8 week diet book and have done some shopping but I am not the most organised of people. Especially with 3 children, nope make that 4 with my husband and a Business to run. I have been diabetic for over 5 years and I have been very Blasรฉ about it which has resulted in more weight gain and blood sugar readings off the chart. I am a very fussy eater (not that you would think so by the size of me…lol) and have looked at the recipes and decided I don’t like a lot of them. However I am inspired by the book and am determined to do this and too make the recipes and enjoy them. Look forward to some encouragement and reading the various blogs which always make me chuckle. X

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Welcome sukhi and good luck!

One thing I would urge you to consider – just try a few more things than you think you’ll like.

I wish I had ยฃ1 for all the people on this forum who’ve tried a few things they thought they didn’t like, and found once they’d kicked the ‘carb monster’ that in fact they had new and fresh tastebuds and liked many more things than they thought! I’d be rich.

๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Gosh a lot of people just starting out, isnt that brilliant! Good luck to you all and a smooth journey! X

• posted by Vikkia
    on

How’s every one doing? I’m down to half a sugar in my coffee. And that’s the only sugar I have. Made cauliflower fried rice tonight and it was so yummy. I haven’t missed crabs yet.. I’ve already noticed that my clothes, and watch feel a bit loser on me!!

• posted by Hanks98
    on

Hi everyone, I’m just about to start this too. I’ve been type 2 for 5 years and have done loads of running every week but still want to lose some weight and whisper it quietly….reverse the diabetes.

As I’m not sure how I will get on making the meals I want to start with the meal replacement shakes but I looked online and there’s lots to choose from. Each one seems to say you must eat meals too which is going against the book so now I’m confused. Which one do I choose (I don’t want to make the drink at this stage). I also don’t want to end up buying a low fat one rather than a low carb one to follow the good Drs advice. Help anyone???

• posted by Frog
    on

some people posting here make their own shakes, others don’t have them at all.

There are food recipes in the book – I think an entire plan, and some people use that.
    I have just followed a normalish diet but with no refined carbs (with the odd blip).

Personally, I never feel I’ve had a meal if it’s ‘just’ a drink – I’m a bit the same with soup as well (unless it has lots of chunky bread alongside ๐Ÿ™‚ ).
    I also think that working out your own food and recipes helps you to learn more about food & its nutritional value – making things easier to choose when you’re in a restaurant or anywhere where you have less control than you would normally on food choices, and better preparation for when you’ve finished the initial weight loss period and are moving on to a maintenance plan.

Use one of the online calorie count planners – FatSecret, My Fitness Pal, Calorie count… there’s lots out there to log your food and keep track of calories, carbs & everything else

• posted by Vikkia
    on

6 kg down and 16 1/2 cms off my bust, waist, hip, butt and thigh!! Woo hoo.. How’s every body doing??

• posted by Hanks98
    on

That’s amazing. Just finished my first week and I lost 9lbs. Blood sugar is normal and I’ve been advised by my nurse to stop Metformin after 6 years. Woohoo!!!

• posted by Vikkia
    on

Congrats Hanks98 must feel good not needing your medication. ๐Ÿ…

• posted by Hanks98
    on

I can’t believe it’s happened so quickly but I guess it should do as we’re hardly eating any carbs. The test will come once I have a carb laden meal after the 8 weeks and test how my body copes with it. Then I’ll know if I’m truly done with it if I keep the weight off ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Hanks98
    on

Had two days of no weightloss now. Have to admit I don’t think I’m looking to lose that much as I’m in the normal range on BMI. However I hope things are going well around my Liver and Pancreas. Tried to kick start exercise today. Have been a bit wary of doing it whilst on 800 cals but I’ve read that it helps the body’s transition from burning carbs to burning fat. Walked a couple of miles and ran a mile just to ease myself back in. Blood Sugar has been great with readings under 6 each morning with today being 4.9. However after running before tea my sugar levels were 6.4??? I’ve been good all day so I can only think the running pushed my sugar up. Who knows? But onwards I go. Day 10 tomorrow. How’s everyone doing?

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Glad to read you guys are all doing well! X

• posted by Vikkia
    on

Down 7 kgs, need a belt for my jeans and tops are getting loose.. Loving it! How’s every one else going??

• posted by Hanks98
    on

That’s amazing Vikkia. How long have you been going and how much more do you want to lose?

I had a weird day yesterday. Went on a 6 mile walk with my wife and ordered some food at the pub for lunch which was presented in a burger style so I could only eat the salad while my wife ate the rest. I had a Diet Coke, an apple and some nuts then the usual low carb meal when I came home.

Despite all that I put on a pound???

Weird huh.

• posted by Vikkia
    on

I’ve been doing this for about 4 weeks. I have about another 32 kgs to go… To get to 70 kgs, which will still make me a little over weight. I think I’m meant to be 65 kgs for my height. But I Ve had four children. So I’m aiming for a realistic weight.. But you never know made I can get into the 60’s.. That’s wired about you putting on a pound.. Hopefully next time you get on the scales it will be down again..

• posted by Hanks98
    on

That’s really good in such a short period of time. I think it’s going to get harder for me as I’m quite close to an ideal weight. Having said that I think my food portions have been bigger over the weekend as we haven’t been following the book but making our own low carb meals. Back on it now and mixing in more exercise as my body seems to have adapted to the low carbs. Managed some HIIT training, a 3 mile run and a 9 mile bike ride over the weekend so far. Just keep going I guess

• posted by Poppetini
    on

Hi, I’m about to start โ€ฆ absolutely terrified as ‘dieting’ isn’t something I’m any good at. I”ve put on three and a half stone in the last three and a half years, and finally feel as though I have the will, and energy, to start doing something about it. My biggest fears are a) failing after 1-3 days, and b) getting cranky if I’m hungry (hangry). I have two children – both early teens, am married and don’t want to take any ‘bad-tempered because I’m hungry’ feelings out on them. Does anyone else have similar concerns? And โ€ฆ more importantly, am I worrying needlessly …

on

Poppetini, you do not have to worry if you accept that for the first few days you will feel a bit cranky, carbs are addictive and as they leave your system your body will bang on about them, trying to tempt you. You will get headachey too (not everyone does) also you might feel tired and have no energy for a few days. Just remember why you are doing this and don’t let the carbs dictate to you. Drink lots of water and don’t be worried if you have to get up in the night to pee lots, it is the fat leaving your body. If you eat enough fat like olive oil or full fat yoghurt you should not be too hungry but remember you are reducing your food intake so expect to be a bit hungry. Put something to one side to snack on, I leave a bit of my lunch to eat later. If you really need something to eat make it the right type of food, a couple of prunes, a piece (small) of cheese. Do not be tempted to eat a slice of toast or sandwich as you will just put the carbs back in control. Once again, I will say, drink lots of water, it helps to combat most of the symptoms that carb withdrawal bring and helps you to feel fuller.

Good luck, we have all been there.

• posted by Hanks98
    on

Well done on taking a brave new step Poppetini. I’m not into diets either but the tasty food makes this easier to stick too especially if you get the follow up recipe book. I was warned about getting cranky and I was fine so it may not happen to you. Expect really low energy levels by the end of the first week though. I pretty much crashed out over the weekend and by the Monday my body had started to adapt. That was the toughest bit for me along with a few headaches, just try to drink at least 3 litres of water a day. I carried a bottle around with me. The upside is waking up each morning and watching your weight fall off you. That’s amazing and keeps you going. Good luck and let us know how you’re doing ๐Ÿ‘

• posted by TiggyWiggy
    on

I am seriously contemplating starting this diet tomorrow……however……I go on holiday for a week end Oct and obviously will be difficult to continue……could I do this for 4 weeks, have a ‘week off’ then start again?

• posted by Jackie WilsonSaid
    on

Hanks98
    Have you watched Dr Michael Mosley’s documentary recently? I revisited it before I started and it answers many of the questions that crop up along the 8 weeks. He was not a fattie but went into diabetes territory and that triggered his investigation into fasting.

http://documentaryheaven.com/eat-fast-and-live-longer/

I found that switching out carbs [bread, pasta and porridge] for more veg, fish fat and modest meat consumption did it for me. Even after I started making spiralised meals etc with bigger portions. There were times when weight loss seemed to stall, particularly when I started anticipating more weight loss. But it picked up again and continued to the end of the 8 weeks. That took me to a decent HbA1c and I can maintain with lowish carbs and slightly less alcohol than before. I exercised throughout, with energy after the first couple of weeks, and found I was enjoying exercise with a more concentrated effort, which complemented the change of diet. On exercise days I’d allow myself a snack of, e.g., celery with houmous and/or nuts. And sometimes I would just *need* an orange at night. You will probably find that your taste for carbs has moderated dramatically after the 8. I treated myself to a few vices like a pork pie and cakes and normal chocolate and they just weren’t as enjoyable – soggy, too sweet etc.
    If you read around the subject you will also find that diet drinks are not helpful – your brain is fooled into thinking its getting some sweet food/energy and then gets angry and so pushes you to eat more.

Congrats on your progress so far and ‘just keep going’…

• posted by Vikkia
    on

Poppetini I haven’t been hungry in anyway. Just fill your plate with lots of vegies if you are hungry. I did this but I’m now finding that I can’t always eat all of it.. So I’m learning to not put as much on my plate. Drinking water also helps too, if you think your hungry try drinking some water first..
    Hanks98 I’m guessing as I get closer to my goal, that my weight loss will slow down. I went for a 18.6 km bike ride yesterday.. My poor bottom is sore today.. Lol. I did a 6 km walk today. And tomorrow I’m off to the hydro pool to work out for an hour there, then I will most likely do a 3 to 5 km walk with my dog.. My goal is to get to the pool twice a week, to help build up the strength in my knees and ankles, and do some abb work. Walk every day. And try and get on my bike 3 to 4 times a week.. I’m hoping this will help not only with weight loss, but help tone me up.

• posted by Hanks98
    on

Thanks Jackie. Just on my way out but I’ll take a look at the documentary later as I haven’t seen it before.

Great exercise Vikkia. We’ll done ๐Ÿ‘

• posted by Poppetini
    on

Thank you all for taking the time to reply to my hungry/cross concerns and for your good wishes and kind thoughts. It’s 6pm and I’m about to have a tuna nicoise (without the potatoes) โ€ฆ Day 1. Success. Ooooooh.

• posted by Vikkia
    on

A bit excited! I got the recipe book today, some of the recipes sound sooo yummy!

• posted by Hanks98
    on

The recipe book is great, Vikkia. My personal favourite so far is the Thai Red Curry but there’s loads more still to try yet.

on

Hanks, hubby cook the red thai curry on Monday while I was at zumba class. It was really good, I had cauliflower rice and he had nothing with it, guess that is why he is doing well too, not diabetic or overweight but just developing a little tum.

Tonight I am making the lamb tagine.

• posted by Vikkia
    on

8 kgs down, and 30.5 cms off my wobbly bits! Yay!!

• posted by Hanks98
    on

That’s brilliant Vikkia. Well done. I still work in old money and I hit a stone this week after 2.5 weeks. My waist trimming has been slow but you can definitely see a difference.

Best thing I’ve ever done!!

• posted by Hanks98
    on

Hi everyone. I’m not really sure where I go from here now. My BMI is 21.9. My blood sugars are in the 4s. My body fat is 10.9 (normal range is 11-22) and I’ve been off Metformin for 2 weeks now. I’ve lost 2 inches round my waist but I’m 6’4 and had a 39 inch waist. It’s now 37 inches. I’ve lost over a stone in the 3 weeks I’ve been on this but should I keep going? It’s no good speaking to Drs as they don’t believe in what we’re doing. So do I keep going?

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Hanks! If you feel that you have reached a comfortable weight for you personally, then try out a maintenance diet of 5:2 or 6:1 — I am seven months from start, three months into maintenance and I am finding I can enjoy a small amount of my favorite things, like beer and a small bit of pizza now and then — if you find you creep up in weight, then just go back to the 800 calorie days and it should fall off quickly. I am really enjoying this phase, I don’t have to count calories too carefully, just eat according to guidelines and I am holding steady or even losing a bit more. Work out for yourself what works — trial and error, keeping an eye on healthy eating, which is now second nature!

• posted by Vikkia
    on

Hi how is everyone going, loving the recipe book. I’m down 10.2 kilos and 36.5 cms!!

• posted by Getting my life back
    on

Welcome Vikkia really good weight loss, I’m still in pounds and stones so not sure how much 10.2 k equates to will have to google. Love the recipe book to just going through to plan next weeks menu back to work after having a week off want to plan ahead so no excuse to go off the rails with last minute decisions on what to have for lunch. Added bonus I am going to put away and save what I would normally have spent on buying lunches,so win win all round.
    Big hugs everyone for next week ๐Ÿ˜ƒ Xx

• posted by Vikkia
    on

10.2 kilo is about 22.5 pounds..in about 6 weeks!!

• posted by Getting my life back
    on

How fabulous well done you and in 6 weeks I’m impressed ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• posted by Vikkia
    on

Woo hoo I’ve lost 20 kgs so far, that’s 44.0925 pound! I’m half way to my goal!! Happy dance! Feeling so much better, less pain etc. I was even naughty over the holiday period and put 2 kgs on…

Please log in or register to post a reply.