Happy Hour – Struggles and Accomplishments

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by alliecat
    on

A brand new home is VERY exciting, Catherine! When is your expected move in date? Will you be settled
    by Christmas, or will you be headed off to Vermont? I don’t do the whole turkey with all the trimmings
    thing when it’s just the 2 of us…The only thing on the menu thus far is sauteed brussel sprouts with pancetta.
    I’m going to have to do better than that! Oh yes, I do have Verano’s cauliflower and roasted red pepper soup in
    the freezer 🙂 Traditional holiday fare is so carb laden, so something non traditional is called for…But WHAT!?!
    Thank you for reminding me to check with Whole Foods today to see what pre cooked protein they are offering..
    How was the webinar yesterday?

• posted by Violinist
    on

Morning Allie! Just a minute

• posted by Violinist
    on

Ground has just been broken for the new house and 30 ft pool. We are excited!!
    We are still waiting for ticket prices to go down to go to Vermont. May have to go in April instead, when the snow will be tapering off.
    The webinar was great, although he tries to get you to give him $500 for a program.
    Yes, there are carbs coming in on Thursday with the turkey but I can’t partake anyway due to gluten and dairy sensitivity, so hubby knows this and still wanted to pay for someone else to cook!

• posted by Violinist
    on

I also have double brussel sprouts and bacon at the ready. I love them like candy. I frie them in an iron pan

• posted by Squidge
    on

Hi everyone. I’ve not been in the forum lately. I haven’t entirely stuck to the BSD plan either, but I’ve not done too badly and despite a very indulgent holiday during which I did gain a couple of pounds, I’m still well within the healthy weight range.

A couple of things have really helped – I’ve managed to keep up the increased activity levels. Walking 10,000 steps is the absolute minimum (it felt like a huge achievement at the beginning of the year) I usually do more, plus some other kind of exercise. I do feel better for being fitter and have more energy, so despite the time it takes up, I seem to get just as much done.

Drinking water makes way more difference than I’d ever have thought. Other than the holiday, any weight gain has coincided with me forgetting to drink plenty of water. Not sayin water alone would do the trick, but everything else seems less effective without it.

Less alcohol also helps. It’s not just the calories in the wine, but the fact that a glass or two leads to me snacking in the evening – that’s food I don’t need at a time I feel I shouldn’t be eating.

• posted by Violinist
    on

Squidge, so good to see you here. A very Florida good morning to you and Allie, who should be showing up soon. I would love to hear your weight loss story, Squidge. Thank you for the support and advice.

• posted by Violinist
    on

And about the steps and exercise, yes, it does take time. How do you manage all that in a day, Squidge. What is a normal routine for you in a day.

• posted by Violinist
    on

Did I mention I am down to 170 this morning before breakfast!

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hi Everyone! Another chapter read today . . . my trip back to my GP – for blood pressure med script renewal and of course I KNEW the follow up with Endocrinologists letter to be perused . . . well . . . I SHUT MY MOUTH when she said . . .”Oh well . . this was just a wake up call for you”. I replied . . .”well . . . I WAS TOLD my diet was perfect and obviously it wasnt” The reply was . . “Oh well it just needed a little tweaking here and there!!!!” WOT???? (I said inwardly) . . . and the Diabetic Advisor said no . . . nothing wrong with yr diet . . . you must do insulin injections . . .? See how constrained I was? SO . . . given the endo wanted 10 MORE cms gone from my middle by first week in February, she measured my girth and . . .!!!!! 4cms has already gone!!!!!!!!! Yippee!!! Blood pressure was the golden figures . . . but as I suffer whitecoat syndrome, I asked for a lesser BP med dosage to perhaps counter my lightheadness now the heat is building towards our summer. That request was granted . . . and a check back in 2 weeks to see if it is working was the payoff. On my way out, I stepped into the nurse’s treatment rooms to get on the scales I had been weighed on back when all this carnival started playing out. I have discarded 10kgs – by their scales . . . but given I weighed on others, it seems I may have gained 2 . . . but inches are still shrinking . . . clothes tell that story every day 🙂 tonight . . . well Im kinda up and down . . . I wasnt looking forward to this appointment . . . and had anxiety about it. Now its over Im both elated and deflated. Stress is slowly ebbing and I read somewhere about someone needing to up their water intake . . . That is my goal now because I have NEVER been able to drink much of it without feeling bilious – no matter what I out in it to taste. I would however, like a simplistic explanation, and to therefore know . . . what is the benefit of drinking more. Im still following (approx. 800 calories) and TOTAL BSD and in 4 days time it will be 5 months of rigid adhering . . . .so while Im very happy with both results and where Im at right now . . could it be my weight is going to stabilise now and inches leaving will be the next step? 🙂 Thanks for reading if you got this far 🙂 🙂 🙂

• posted by Violinist
    on

Wooduckie!!!! Am I right that you did well at the docs? Hard to translate your sentences. Nice going!!

• posted by Violinist
    on

Are you on insulin and bp meds? Did they decrease?

• posted by alliecat
    on

Squidge, you miscreant! 🙂 I’m very happy to see you checking in today. You have been missed! I agree with you
    completely about the water. It really is a necessary component of this lifestyle, either in maintenance or during
    weight loss. I even noticed a difference when I upped consumption from 2 to 3 liters/day. Water and the whoosh
    effect are inextricably related! I begin at 7:00am and stop by 9:00pm. Keeps hunger at bay, as well. Stay in touch!

Catherine, you must be elated to see the scale moving in the right direction! Congratulations! Your goal is 150lbs.?
    I’m still below target, but I want to see 10lbs. of wiggle room by the first of the year. Water glasses up and wine
    glasses down 🙂

• posted by Violinist
    on

Yes, I can see, ever so slightly, a change Allie!

• posted by Squidge
    on

I manage the walking and exercise by making it a priority. It does take a couple of hours most days, but some people spend that long watching TV every day. If I need to go anywhere that’s less than an hour’s walk away then I walk instead of driving – that sort of saves the time it would take to find my car keys, drive there and find somewhere to park.

Woodduckie, it seems you’re doing brilliantly! It’s hard to be accurate about your weight using different scales, but the nurses’s ones should be right – so that’s weight and inches off!

It took me a while to get used to drinking water. I’m happy to do it now. Personally I’d avoid putting anything in it to disguise the taste – that will just add calories or chemicals you don’t need. Try quickly gulping a few mouthfuls just before you eat anything, so you get the taste of the food right away. Looking forward to it might distract you from how it tastes.

You don’t need to drink a big glass of water in one go if that makes you feel bilious. Lots of small sips throughout the day would work just as well.

Can’t give you all the swcientific reasons why it works, but it can help you feel full, prevent constipation, relieve any symptoms of being mildly dehydrated such as tiredness or headaches, and that helps you stick to the diet and take exercise.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hello Violinist! A few weeks ago I did EXTREMELY WELL at the Endocrinologist. Hb1ac down from 12.9 to 6.9 in three months. With bad bad side effects, I had refused any more meds and insulin previously – asking for full investigation before going down any path. BSD appeared on my horizon and I havent look back since starting on 24th June. This appointment was with my regular GP . . . for BP meds new script. she appeared pleased with what I – (THATS me!!!) – HAD DONE!!! i was only mildly sacrasctic when I quipped quietly . . .”yes it is amazing considering everyone had previously told me my diet couldnt be faulted”. Her reply was oh well this was a wake up call and diet just needed a little tweeking around the edges!!!” Thats when I decided discretion and SILENCE was the better part of valour. SO yes . . . BP meds dosage is halved for now to see if my lightheadedness which comes with our hot summer is due to meds lowering it too far now Ive had weight discard of around 10-11 kgs. – (almost two stone in the old language:) ) . GP has asked I get it checked in two weeks time to see if it is correct dosage for me now 🙂 Thanks for the enquiry/ reply 🙂

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Thank you Squidge! I think the past while has been so stressful in so many ways, with the coast clear of storms for now . . .I believe Im in a bit of an emotional relief trough 🙂 But we all know “this too will pass”. 🙂 I never had expectations or goal weights to begin so anything was welcome . . . the endo has asked for another 10 cms be-gone from my girth by end JAnuary and with GP’s measurement yesterday 4cms has already gone in three weeks . . . so Im hoping the whole 10 is do-able with my routine as it is . . . anyways . . . if it isnt . . . too bad cos Im doing my best and at 74 nothing is going to be perfect . . just already perfected to its best and to be enjoyed 🙂 Life is never perfect but if we just know in our own heart and with conscience we have done our utmost then all’s right with the world 🙂

• posted by Violinist
    on

Woodduckie, thank you for clarifying your wonderful news!!!! I am in awe of you.

• posted by Violinist
    on

Wow, Squidge, that is a lot of walking!!

• posted by Violinist
    on

My 4:30 pm reasons for having tea at happy hour
    there is no benefit to alcohol
    I can lose weight
    I can lower blood pressure
    I can lower cholesteral
    I can save 2,000 a year
    I can keep my good relationships
    I can sleep better
    I can stay out of prediabetes
    I can be proud of myself
    I won’t wake up with a racing heart
    I won’t retain water

I need to post this often for myself.

• posted by Violinist
    on

Ok, Goodmorning all! So glad to have thanksgiving behind me.

3/13 = Starting week 3 of 13 weeks before doc and 3/12 weeks before blood work. My BSD week always starts on Fridays because I normally get groceries and post my 7 day menus to MFP at this time. So, 10 weeks to blood work and 11 to doc weigh in.

Focus week 3:
    No alcohol all week
    Carb net under 20
    Increase steps (averaging 6,000)
    Calories under 1,000

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi Violinist – I just wanted to say I really like your 4:30 pm reasons for having tea at happy hour. I’m going to adopt most of those more generally for myself. Great news about your Hba1c results. Good luck with week 3.

Also, Squidge – your post about making walking a priority really struck a chord with me. I’ve stopped doing as much (been put off by the cold, wet and dark so watching telly instead!) I need to get back to your way of thinking.

Thanks both.

• posted by Violinist
    on

hanks Jennie!

• posted by Violinist
    on

I mean thank you Jenn

• posted by Verano
    on

Violinist you made me smile!
    Good luck with your ‘resolutions ‘

• posted by Violinist
    on

Thanks Verano! Hope you have a nice day!

• posted by Violinist
    on

My official weigh in today:

172.8 fully clothed, after coffee, before breakfast.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Way to go, Violinist! 🙂

• posted by Violinist
    on

Thanks Kazz!

• posted by Jennie10
    on

WoodDuckie – Oops, I just realised, it was your HbA1c results I was reading yesterday – that’s a great result in 3 months. Wow. Congratulations.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Thank you so much 🙂 I did feel a little like I had been reprieved from the gallows or the knackery 🙂 Five months in the WOE is still easy but needs some spicing up. Stagnation of weight and just general ho hum will need attention VERY soon and thoroughly otherwise I can see a mental tussle with a breakout on the horizon. Rewards are a possibility, though I need and want for nothing so its difficult to choose something sufficiently eyeopening or satisfying 🙂 Accolades and compliments from others are just leaving me speechless so I have confirmation of reward for effort right there 🙂 Maybe the fresh feeling that arrives with January of a new year will present the corner to turn for a new perspective . . . I had no weight or size goals to begin – just to beat the HbA1c into submission and that goal has been achieved! Again thank you so much for your congratulations. And a huge thank you to so many here who were integral parts of my success there. There were times I wouldnt have made it without the encouragement and advice of those urging me on 🙂 I am most grateful to so many for this outcome.

• posted by Verano
    on

WoodDuckie I guess the best motivation for continuing with BSD for the coming months will be to keep your HbA1c in the normal band. Unfortunately, for those of us with T2, it’s a lifelong commitment to low carb or a return to out of control blood sugars. Sorry, not a very helpful response, but maybe just a fact of life!

• posted by alliecat
    on

It’s very uplifting to hear your update, WoodDuckie. Congratulations are certainly in order 🙂 Never forget
    that although we have lots of support to offer, YOU did the hard work! Such a fine way to kick off the New
    Year, which will be here before we know it…Are you making Christmas cards this year???

Violinist, I must have missed your post holiday check in? How did you fare with the libations over Thansgiving,
    or did you allow yourself a reprieve for the day?

Allie

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

So very good to hear of your success Wooduckie!! You have taken charge of that HbA1c and wrestled it to the ground!! You have been so very directed and I am so excited for your good outcome!
    I have a suggestions to help you stay in the groove, if it is getting a bit stale — the research on long-term brain health is what continues to motivate me to stay low carb — also the overall benefits to the body from keeping a low insulin level are also extremely motivating.
    I’m not sure if you saw the comments posted on insulin and the research showing that damage to the body from “high blood sugar” looks like it is actually damage from high INSULIN and the damage is occurring up to 15 years before they even detect high blood sugar.
    There are recommendations from insulin researchers to add a test for insulin levels to our blood tests because insulin levels are becoming an important health marker. Insulin is being implicated in many inflammatory processes.
    So for long term health of body and especially brain, including protection from Alzheimer’s, stay low carb and of course, calorie controlled to avoid weight gain which will raise your background insulin levels.

• posted by Violinist
    on

Morning all, very busy making turkey soup to freeze. Glad to be back to BSD woe. Arrggh! Felt terrible yesterday after imbibing in sugar, carbs and alcohol. I did 10,000 steps, though.

Talk later!

• posted by Violinist
    on

Hey Allie, I am on the otherside of carbs, sugar and alcohol, but am back at it

• posted by alliecat
    on

Ten thumbs up, Catherine!

• posted by Violinist
    on

Morning All,
    Ok, so here is Sunday, a whole new week.
    Menus are in place.
    Weather will be cool enough for walking
    This week is fairly busy
    Focus on calories, low carb, no alcohol and walking
    Start of week 3 out of 13 until doc appointment
    10 weeks until blood workMy 4:30 pm reasons for having tea at happy hour
    there is no benefit to alcohol
    I can lose weight
    I can lower blood pressure
    I can lower cholesteral
    I can save 2,000 a year
    I can keep my good relationships
    I can sleep better
    I can stay out of prediabetes
    I can be proud of myself
    I won’t wake up with a racing heart
    I won’t retain water
    I need to post this often for myself.

• posted by Violinist
    on

Woke up in the 160’s today! Yesterday was right on in calories and low carb and no alcohol. Lightened up on steps to give ankle a rest.

Enjoy the day folks!

• posted by alliecat
    on

It must feel great to have broken through to the 160’s, Catherine..Brava!!! Rinse and repeat, as the saying
    goes 🙂 I like your motivation list, too. You are right of course, alcohol has no benefits! At present, I only
    allow it 1 night a week, though Thanksgiving was the exception…I did factor it in, but not much of an
    excuse! No parties on the horizon at the moment, and that’s a good thing 🙂

• posted by Violinist
    on

Hi Allie!
    Yes, it feels good!

• posted by Violinist
    on

I wrote this on another thread but thought I would document my story and focus here because it helps. I consider this thread my journal.

Fully dressed 170.8
    10 weeks to blood work
    Age 62
    Height 5’4”
    Live in Southwest Florida
    Retired and very active with swimming, biking, volunteer work, play the violin in a small acoustic band, increasing steps after broken ankle last October.
    Weight has been hovering around 170-175 for a few years.
    Doc would like me at 150
    See doc in 11 weeks.
    Started this woe, kind of, since July. But not fully
    September blood work was first time wonderful in a1 c – from 5.7 to 5.4 (first time ever) and triglycerides in normal range, but cholesteral and blood pressure awful. I am not diabtic but was in prediabetic range.
    My struggle is 5 pm cocktail hour. My BSD menus are real good, but am fine tuning my low carb menu
    Goals – get blood pressure down, weight down, exit alcohol.
    Catherine

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Good morning from Downunder allie, Verano and CaliGirl 🙂 Most grateful and thank you for your encouragement as always. Ive just finished 5 days of helping out at younger son’s home and sleepovers at my place for Miss 8 grand-daughter while mum and big sister were interstate at sports championships – Glad to be and FEELS SO GOOD to be useful and supportive! Today . . .? it is good to be home alone, sleeping in MY OWN BED AGAIN!!!! just chilling here and regrouping – and analysing what is going on with my body now its back home. Even though I took MY food with me on the two day stay over, I struggled with the constant hunger bug. Breakfast of scrambled eggs, parsley and curry powder, topped with cheese and cracked black pepper held me for no more than 2 hours . . . I stretched the time with a coffee, little water, . . . but a hour later needed to eat the planned kale shredded mixed salad drizzled with a little mayo, and filled out with cold diced pork. Needed two more coffees to get through to an easy go to standard evening meal . . . ground beef/minced steak spiced with whatever and loaded with vegetables. The remainder of that was reheated and joined the remaining kale salad next day for lunch. Admittedly I didnt have my usual cream, butter, nuts around . . . and Im wondering . . . were the meals too lean . . . . milk was skinny, they dont have butter or cream so nor did I . . . and my fuel was low . . . like running on standard when my engine has become accustomed to super 🙂 Allie . . . no Im not doing Christmas cards . . . two Christmases of creation see them still in my stock box. Seems people who still do cards (as opposed to email cards) – purchase (contents) 12 or 24 boxes of stereotype designs for a few dollars – while very very few are interested in something as elaborate or out of the ordinary to be seen as a (stand-alone) gift or vehicle to have a voucher, money or storecard inserted. So as I make them out of recycled bibs and bobs, bits and pieces, with no special declaration of event or occasion, I guess if anyone wasnt too pedantic about tinsel, holly, and santa being represented, something a little out of the ordinary like one with a lace edged, or embroidered handkerchief locked under a perspex window, or a tiny purse – (with a piece of costume jewellery dangling from the corner as if too big to stay inside and could be replaced with the real thing!!! or awaiting $$S or creditcard) – . . . could be a draw-card for Any Occasion (which is what I call them) – anytime 🙂 I would so like to share some pics of them if we can find a way 🙂 They are SO DIFFICULT to describe! Have just had bacon, mushrooms and leek sauteed in butter with creamed coffee for breakfast so Ill see how my body responds to a little more “fat” than has been offered in recent days 🙂 Have a great day or night folks 🙂 Always enlightening to read what we are all doing. And yes . . .many years ago I used to have bach remedies . . . remember them well.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hello again, WoodDuckie! I seem to have completely missed this post…Probably the result of all the
    flurry of activity involved in our Thanksgiving holiday, and then the march to Christmas. WE must find
    a way to share our work. I’m passionate about 3 things, the BSD lifestyle, political discourse, and creating
    beautiful things to share with friends. I’m sure you have also been encouraged to offer your artwork
    for sale also, but we both understand how labor intensive it is, and there is no mass market for it. I can
    easily spend several hours on a card..There is the design phase, as well as the execution. I’m currently
    putting a few together to send across the pond! It is a labor of love, and when it becomes a business,
    then it feels too much like work. If I had a smartphone I would already have put up a few examples for
    your eyes, but unfortunately I just make do with a 20th century fliptop phone. I’m a techno ludite,
    so my only recourse is to use Skype to show my work. It could be an option, though. My current
    preoccupation is to use inks to color a piece of watercolor paper, and then use a stencil to bleach out
    the areas I want to show as white. It’s hit or miss, but some interesting effects can often be created.
    I’ve also been using white modeling paste through the stencils, to create texture and a raised effect.
    Like your work, these are one of a kind pieces, and the thought of mass producing them for resale
    makes me shudder. Are you familiar with the Etsy website? I’ve given it a look see, but I find most
    of the offerings amateurish, at best. Needless to say, I’m more than a little curious about your style!
    I hope you are enjoying your dedicated craft room, you lucky duck 🙂 What does this have to do with
    Happy Hour? Absolutely nothing! My apologies, Catherine.

Allie

Allie

• posted by KazzUK
    on

WoodDuckie and Allie – I may have a solution… WoodDuckie – I have a specific email address for bsd… so if you email me, I can forward to Allie and then you can connect to each other by email initially. Skype is free if you put it either on your phone via the app or on your laptop. You could skype and show each other your cards? Join the gaps here…
    KazzLCHF @ yahoo . com Good luck!

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Violinist!
    Have been wondering about you and noticed that you posted on your profile a few days ago. Hope all is well. Keep on keeping on……. as Sunshine-girl would say…..

• posted by Violinist
    on

Awe, Verano!!!! Hello and thank you for jostling my cage! Yes, I am using my profile as a monthly diary. I haven’t given up, just took a side trip to work on blood pressure issues. Trying different meds and have reactions to some, but all is good right now. I am still LCHF but calories are not low. I had a birthday this week too!

I am trying a lot of BSD recipes and reading all of the posts here to keep up. I haven’t added to the conversations as I have been kind of on hold while focusing on bp. Blood tests are doing well for a1c and triglycerides. No change in weight, but that hasn’t been the focus. I am reving up to get back on the wagon train with you guys on Sunday as bp has lowered. You will hear more from me as I return to “active duty”.

Catherine

• posted by Verano
    on

Happy birthday! Glad you are still following BSD and know only too well how sometimes our priorities change with various health issues. Pleased you are still moving in the right direction. I keep…. I can’t change the beginning…… In the forefront of my mind! Thanks for those wise words.

• posted by alliecat
    on

There you are, Catherine! I’ve missed you too! I’m glad that your b.p. is under control. How is the new
    house coming along? Is it progressing on schedule? I’m looking forward to finding you back with us.
    The Weekly thread is still in place, so please join us soon. I need my 3:00am buddy!

Allie

• posted by Violinist
    on

Wow, you guys really make me feel loved! I will be there Sunday, Allie! And ya, I am up at 3 alot!

• posted by Violinist
    on

That is right, Verano, we can’t change the beginning, but as of today we can change the outcome!

Allie, the house is humming right along with windows, plumbing, electric etc. Pretty soon a 30 ft pool and cage will surround a nice linai!!

Please log in or register to post a reply.