Happy Hour – Struggles and Accomplishments

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Violinist
    on

It’s about that moment you come home after work, or slow down at the end of a busy day in retirement. You have done it for years, you have poured yourself a nice sugary, carby, high calorie, alcoholic drink. Your reward for getting thru the day. Now, you want all those pounds you gained, off!!! You want your blood pressure down, your a1c down, your cholesteral down. YOU WANT IT ALL!!!

Come join me on a daily basis as we get thru each day with ideas on how to do 4-7 pm with grace, with passion, with water, fizzy water and tea or coffee. I don’t know about you, but I have to take care of this once and for all in order to go any further. So here we go!

Day 1- Ok, so it is only 5:17 am here in Florida, not 5 pm. I am always at my bravest first thing in the morning. Full of vigor and such. Hubby and I are retired and have a nice schedule daily. Coffee, breakfast, volunteer stuff in the morning, lunch and then swimming (I swimm laps for an hour) right after lunch. This is followed by some reading, chores and then BOOM! DA DA DA DAAAAA! 5 pm. Hubby will have a cocktail. Violinist will have a tea or sparkling water. I will be back at 6 to let you know. I know if I make it to 6, I’m good.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Best of luck with your plan, I use a nice wine glass for my fizzy water/slice of lemon or lime which helps me not to feel deprived.

• posted by Natalie
    on

I am not tempted by alcohol, but that is the time of day I get the munchies! Not hungry, but wanting a little snackle anyway. So hard to wait until dinner.

• posted by Jo Dedieter
    on

How did you get on Violinist?
    I did the pamper thing and felt good, not sure I’ll do so well on a Friday night.
    Thanks MixandMatch, I’ll give that a go 🙂

• posted by Violinist
    on

Hi Jo, Mixnmatch and Natalie. My apple, cinnamon tea is set out and waiting for 4:30 each day now.

• posted by Violinist
    on

Morning!
    Jo, how did you make out Friday night?

It is still morning for you and I both. I will probably do the tea tonight too.

• posted by Jo Dedieter
    on

Hello All
    Violinist, how is the tea working out? I must try and find some of that, it sounds right up my flavor tree!
    Not so well last night, D and I went into town for a massive shop – with the good intent to set me up for next week with everything I need foodwise. Then had to stop at the local co-op for a few last bits – D went over to the local Tap Bar to wait for me, of course when I arrived there I couldn’t resist an Earl Grey Gin &T 🙁 Once started I find it hard to stop so at home I had some wine. So total failure. Slight mitigation however is that I’ve started drinking Vinho Verde, very out of fashion these days but seems to be coming back as people look for wines that are less strong. My usual whites would be 12-13% whereas Vinho Verde is 9-9.5% and it’s slight sparkle makes it feel a bit special.
    On the food I’m fine although D cooked us a chilli and I wasn’t able to calorie count, I had it with braised/saute cabbage that I spiced up, yummy.
    Crunch point for me today; I’m varnishing a bathroom shelf unit and would normally congratulate myself once I finish and clear away. I’ll aim to shower and meditate briefly and then have a lovely cup of Earl Grey Tea instead of Gin!
    How is everyone else doing?
    Best wishes
    Jo

• posted by Violinist
    on

It’s a steuggle, Jo

• posted by Violinist
    on

struggle

• posted by Violinist
    on

Day 3 – really? Man, it feels longer than that! Feeling good today and did really well yesterday at happy hour. Tea and no snacks. Dinner was zuchinni spirals, mushrooms and sauce. Had a great nights sleep!
    Jo, how are you doing?

• posted by Jo Dedieter
    on

Well done Violinist, keep it up 🙂

I’m still not great on cocktail hour but just weighed myself and find that despite the naughty drinks I have lost 5lbs through week 1, which I’m very happy with.

So on to week 2 and determined to do better at Happy Hour!

Have a good day
    Jo

• posted by Violinist
    on

Ok, Jo, lets step it up!!! Congrats on the weight loss!

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hi NAtalie! Those are they days I eat dinner EARLY . . . sometimes I get a fit of the munchies AFTERWARDS . . . thats when I have coffee with cream and a few pork crackle bits. Maybe some almonds . . . but if Im hungry at 5 then dinner is the best move for me. Its been winter here . . . Spring now three weeks gone and many days Ive just do two meals – and given season change is here, Im more in the garden or involved in things and its not “forget to eat” but more like dont need food 🙂
    Also 10 weeks into BSD now, Ive offloaded 10%+ of my body weight . . . but seem to have plateaued. I never counted calories, just concentrated on minimal carbs – (Im sure it was less than 20 most days!!) – didnt set a goal weight . . . too much other stress at the time and was just about dealing with BSL’s! Now averaged 6+ or – (one or two .point somethings) every morning Im well pleased with those results!!! Weight discard was a surprising and absolute bonus. Now wondering . . . as I appear via clothes to be “slimming” slower . . . could it be the high protein is building more muscle and of course that weights heavier . . or have I reached where Im going to stay . . .? Havent been, and wont be . . . doing any exercise anytime soon as plantar fasciitis has been getting in the way and now sciatic nerve has decided to join in the fun 🙂 CHiro and massage have eased the hip a little but an doing osteo appointment in three weeks if this hasnt subsided beforehand. This “weight” question is no real concern . . . just a curiosity if anyone has anything to add. 🙂 Thank you 🙂

• posted by Jo Dedieter
    on

Morning all!
    Hope you are still doing well with the Tea Violinist. I’ve woken with refreshed vigor and am going to totally smash Happy Hour tonight 🙂
    Ginger and Lemon tea at the ready…
    Good luck today
    jo

• posted by Violinist
    on

Morning Jo,
    Not sure where my comment went that I wrote? I made it to 5, but stumbled at 6 last night. I had my tea, but it did not cut it!!

Day 4 today. I WILL DO THIS TODAY!

• posted by Violinist
    on

Morning Woodduckie, where is Natalie?

• posted by Natalie
    on

Still here Violinist, in what is today a cool and windy Sydney. In the past couple of weeks we’ve swung back and forth between 32C and 14C – never know what to wear. Sunburnt at the medieval faire yesterday, rugged up in cardigan and blanket today.
    I’m still following the same pattern, doing really well until mid-afternoon and then frequent nibbles until bedtime. A piece of chocolate here and bit of fruit there. Too much. Cheese. Yoghurt. Whatever falls into my mouth. Arg!

• posted by Violinist
    on

Hey Natalie! Did you know I spent a year at Monte Sant Angelo school in 5th form in 1973? I lived in Northbridge as an exchange student. Love Sydney!

Anyway, ya, afternoons are difficult. Glad you are still here!

• posted by Natalie
    on

That is a beautiful area of Sydney, Violinist, my husband currently works near there (North Sydney) with views of the harbour. I grew up in Beecroft, a bit more inland. But we live way to the south at present, in Sutherland Shire. It’s lovely too, but without the gracious old-fashioned charm and mature street trees of the north.
    My plan to deal with afternoons is a cup of tea and planned snack, enjoyed in the moment and not nibbled without even tasting. And in the evening the kitchen is CLOSED!
    How’s everyone going with the lure of the evening tipple? I just tried to look up the chemical formula for the alcohol in wine, so I could be amusingly obscure and ask about the lure of C2H5OH, and came across the question ‘Can you get drunk off wine?’ Someone needed to ask that?

• posted by Violinist
    on

Natalie, you make me laugh and I love your verse!!!

• posted by Violinist
    on

Good morning all!

I am reviving this thread for myself as I see it is really the source of my struggles with weight loss. I do well one day by having tea and then the next day I have wine etc. I feel like I have my menus down to a science and post them on myfitnesspal. So it is the alcohol that has to be worked on. For my own sake I will try to come here each day to follow up on how I am doing. Feel free to join me.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hello again, Violinist! Many here can relate to the causal relationship between wine and no weight loss.
    It’s a difficult one, to be sure! I had to completely cut it out during weight loss, or stay in the same place
    from week to week, instead of seeing a dependable 3-3.5lb. loss each week. I’m a year and a half into maintenance
    now, and I’ve allowed weekend wine to creep back. I’ve also coined a term for it! “wine creep” . Some members
    of the community can get away with it, but we don’t seem to be in that category! I’m still not above target wt.,
    but I’d like my wiggle room back! I’ll be glad to check in with you if you plan to post every day on this thread.
    We can do it, as I have in the past. Can you find a new activity to get interested in at the time of day that you’re
    the most vulnerable? That’s my plan 🙂 I still have sufficient time to create my own holiday greeting cards, and
    I think the cocktail hour would be a good time to get started on this project. Do you have any ideas?

Allie

• posted by Violinist
    on

Hi Allie, I would truly appreciate it if you would check in with me to keep me focused. I have a hubby who will still do his manhattan at 5 pm. This is also the time we talk with each other so will have to stick with my apple cinnamon tea while he has his cocktail. I have done this before and am doing it this week. I will let you know how I make out tonight. Tomorrow night we eat out, so that will be fun.

• posted by alliecat
    on

DONE, Violinist 🙂 🙂 🙂 See you tomorrow…

• posted by Violinist
    on

My 4:30 pm reasons for having tea at happy hour

there is no benefit to alcohol
    I can lose weight
    I can lower blood pressure
    I can lower cholesteral
    I can save 2,000 a year
    I can keep my good relationships
    I can sleep better
    I can stay out of prediabetes
    I can be proud of myself
    I won’t wake up with a racing heart

• posted by alliecat
    on

One more, Violinist….No more fluid retention, which has a role to play with the other downsides that you
    have articulated. There IS no upside, really, apart from the temporary relaxation and social aspects of the
    “witching hour” at 5:00 or 6:00pm! A professor colleague and his wife have made 5:00pm teatime, in which
    to share their thoughts for the day, rather than wine and cheese time. Of course, it’s easier with a partner
    who wishes to switch to healthier habits, too!

• posted by Violinist
    on

Thanks, Allie, I have a feeling hubby will eventually join me here if I simply do this quietly at home and loudly here at BSD! hahahaha

• posted by Violinist
    on

By the way, I made it past the witching hour!!!! YEEEHAAAAWWWWW!

• posted by alliecat
    on

GrrrEAT, Violinist!!! No “liquid sugar” was poured in my house either 🙂 I think I’ll draw a skull and crossbones
    on any bottles in the wine rack. Mark a big X on the calendar for Nov. 13th!

• posted by Violinist
    on

Morning Allie,
    Thanks for the encouragement. Woke up to a few pounds gone this morning. Wish me luck to ight as we go out to dinner. Hubby is going to think I am ill when I don’t order wine and mashed potatoes. I am ready. I went on line and reviewed the menu, so should be okay.

I did not know drinking alcohol encourages fluid retention.

Have a great day!

• posted by Verano
    on

This tip popped into my inbox a few days ago from ‘nutrition for life’. Certainly has made me think!

‘You cannot metabolise fat until the alcohol has left your liver!
    Science Fact: If weight loss and healthy weight control is your aim then you may need to consider how much alcohol (f you are a drinker) is still going to allow you to make more progress… the fact is even the Australian drinking guidelines will inhibit significant healthy progress if you were still to drink daily but only at the recommended quantities. We suggest alcohol free days are essential if you are trying to change your health – but know this: When you consume alcohol you reduce your body’s ability to metabolise ‘fat’… your liver is put to work and stops the body metabolising until it has been able to deal with the alcohol consumed and can rid it again from your body! ‘
    There is also chart but I’ve not worked out how to copy it yet!

• posted by Violinist
    on

Thanks Verano!! I guess that is why the quick drop in weight over here in Florida!!! I think I am on a roll!!

Hey Verano, I know Allies accomplishments with weight loss and am sure you have a great story. Can you share it with me?

• posted by Verano
    on

Will do but my iPad battery is very low at the moment but will catch up later. By the way my story is no where near as impressive as Allie’s!

• posted by Violinist
    on

Verano, all of you inspire me so and I am finally doing something about it!! Thank you!!

• posted by Violinist
    on

Morning all,
    I slept in this morning after a final, and awful dinner out. Luckily we will probably not go out now until February because the “snowbirds” come down to southwest florida from the north for the winter and every restaraunt is so croweded. I could not hold back the wine and mashed potatoes — too weak yet. But am back at it this morning. I still have increased my steps and maybe I will wait until Lunch to eat. Weight is still down to 171.2, fully clothed.
    My steps are still up daily, so back on the wagon today.

Positives listed:
    Still in week 1/13
    Weight is still down: highest 175 now down to 171.2
    Steps 7,829 yesterday
    No more going out for 13 weeks
    Cooler weather in low 80’s now so walking not so hard

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Violinist, you are doing great! I remember so clearly that I had to LEARN how to follow this way of eating — it took me a couple months to finally internalize it and get control of my favorite evening drink, white wine (how female!! ha ha) and wrap my head around why eating carbohydrates was a poor choice.
    Once I got on track, the weight just fell off and has not returned. I learned how to fast! That took a lot of practice too — I got to 16 or 17 hours over and over, then 19, then 20, then finally cracked 24. It was all a process for me — no moment of brilliance, just becoming adjusted to it all day by day. If I messed up, I just started again.
    Good that the snowbirds are in town — I found eating at restaurants very difficult and I avoided them for many many months. And saved a lot of money which I spent on fresh swordfish and salmon!
    You are doing perfectly!

• posted by Violinist
    on

Julia, Thank you so much for the support. I am sure that you understand how wonderful it feels to get such great support from all of you. I actually do feel stronger about this every day since my first post July 1 this year. Ok, so I am a slow learner, but between my wonderful blood test results (a1c 5.4, triglycerides 150 and thyroid 3.1), a loss of a few pounds, support for the woe from my doc, and you guys, life is good!

And now, so early, I see my daily blood pressure readings are down!!

Thankyou, Gratefully yours,
    Catherine

• posted by alliecat
    on

Catherine, it’s so wonderful to know your name! I certainly agree with Julia…Each of our experiences are
    just part and parcel of our own personal learning curve. All of this takes practice, and the only way to
    fail is to give up 🙂 Even today, I seldom eat in restaurants! My idea of a “date night” is to take something
    fantastic and BSD friendly out of the freezer. We’re all practicing, every day, and the important thought
    is progress, not perfection! I’ll see you in the morning!

Allie

• posted by alliecat
    on

Catherine, I went in search of the name of an old thread where Julia posted the most extra-ordinary post for
    those of us who are challenged by wine. I reread it often, and I hope that you’ll find it helpful too!

Type ” Wino! I want to say sorry to my poor liver!”….into the search box. Her outstanding post was submitted
    on a June 4, 2018 post. I celebrated it at the time, and of course Julia knows this, and I’m sure she won’t
    mind my referring to it 🙂 It is absolutely the best case for why we should keep the cork in the bottle! Thank
    you again,Julia, for this post, and the very articulate manner in which you addressed it. It’s boilerplate and
    solid gold, and in my humble opinion, “must reading” for this community! xxx

• posted by Verano
    on

Catherine as promised my story, a copy of a post of mine from February 2017….
    I started my journey on July 5th 2016. I was diagnosed with symptomless diabetes in 2012 and, along with many people, my first reaction was disbelief followed by anger and lots of other emotions. I was given the usual 3 months to try and improve my blood glucose, by losing weight, before being offered metformin. Needless to say with the dietary advice on offer I struggled to lose any weight. So three months on I started taking metformin.
    My diabetes has never been out of control really. I started with a HbA1c of just over 7 and whilst I’ve been on metformin it’s stayed in the mid to low 6’s.
    So what prompted me to change my life? I was, and am, really overweight. I had been for many years but it wasn’t a problem until my mobility became challenged in 2007 and over the next few years I put on even more weigh. Still I carried on, head in the sand for most of the time, until 2016.
    My friend has uncontrolled diabetes and in 2015 had a toe amputated. That made me think a little. Then in 2016 another of his toes was compromised but fortunately was ok. That made me really sit up and take notice and around the same time I found ‘The Book’.
    I read the book from cover to cover and it just made so much sense. I realised that I ‘just’ needed to lose 15% of my body weight to improve my BG and possibly avert problems from diabetes in the future. That was to be done by cutting out simple carbs. No problem! So I started the journey!
    After quite a short time I realised that 15% was a really tall order so I reduced that to 10%, which seemed more manageable. So to my journey….
    Unlike some people I was not totally focused so my journey wasn’t the smoothest. The first month or so was great I never had ‘carb flu’ or any nasty side effects and really wasn’t that hungry. I found fatsecret and filled it in religiously. All was going well and then life got in the way … a holiday! Still I managed to lose a very, very small amount of weight that month and carried on.
    Three months passed and my first diabetes review since starting BSD was due in 4 weeks. So that gave me the impetus to carry on and sure enough my next HbA1c had reduced from 6.4 to 5.5. I was delighted. It was now November and I started to rest on my laurels because my next review was 6 months away. The next 2 months were hit and miss with ‘life’ getting in the way again …. holiday, birthday, Christmas etc. All good excuses and no damage done really just a very small weight loss.
    2017 started as a better year for me despite, or maybe because of, an illness and I was now back on track but in a far more relaxed way. I didn’t really count at that time but I did check new foods for their carb content.
    I think one of the reasons for this post was to encourage all those who aren’t losing vast amounts very quickly. It can still be done in time. This way of eating has become part of my life now and I very rarely eat simple carbs I just have a few too many ‘indulgences’ now and again!
    If I have learnt one lesson it’s that this is not a diet to be started and finished, it’s a change in lifestyle and to be sustainable it has to fit into ‘life’. We each have individual and different demands on our time and so we each have to tailor this way of eating to fit our individual circumstances. If that means losing weight less quickly then so be it. It’s the arriving that’s important, the journey is just a means to an end. At the end is a new way of living!
    So one year and nine months on….. I lost more weight in second half of 2017 but since November last year I have lost my impetus mainly because ‘life’ has kept getting in the way, birthday, trips away, many of them! which has really stopped me getting back into a routine. So I have put some weight back on but I’ve not given up. I keep ‘reading’ and living a relatively BSD friendly life.
    I guess once I reached my original goal I lost my main focus. I think you have to clearly define why you are doing this and write down your goals. Many people find that a series of smaller goals plus an ultimate goal works well.
    Today I am a few weeks away from my 71st birthday, I’m heavier than I Was this time last year but I can and will address that when I get back from my holiday. 2019 is on the horizon so a chance for another ‘new beginning’. This is a great way of life but even if there are blips along the way it’s still the best way to a healthier life. Sorry for such a long post! Good luck with your journey!

• posted by Verano
    on

Allie thanks for the reminder of Julia’s post. A great read!

• posted by Violinist
    on

Wow, Vetrano, love your story!!!! Thank you for taking the time to write it for me!! My a1 c of 5.4 is the lowest in my adult life.

Allie, thank you for the wine reading. I will go read it. And ya, hubby and I find that we can amke ourselves much better tasting dinners at home and have never gone out alot, thank god! Our age group (I am 62 and he is 72) eats many meals out.

• posted by Violinist
    on

Ok, folks, so it is 2:13 here in Florida and I am feeling very strong today!

Dinner for hubby is chicken tenders breaded with dipping sauce and french fries
    Dinner for me is chicken tenders not breaded and steamed broccoli. Since I cook seperate dinners for us all the time, it is no big deal.
    He is a red meat and geound beef and pork, and pasta kind of guy.
    I am a salmon, ground turkey, chicken kind of girl.

• posted by Violinist
    on

Good morning folks
    Down another pound and made it to another day

• posted by alliecat
    on

YAY!!! Catherine 🙂 One day at a time turns into a week, and then a month! Seeing the scale moving is the
    best motivator, isn’t it? Stay strong tonight…I have a plan to do the same! xx

• posted by Violinist
    on

Morning folks! Thank you to the cheering section Californiagirl and Allie!

Had a few carbs last night, but will shake it off and enter a new day! One week down and twelve more to go before doc appointment and blood work again.

Accomplishments this week:
    Less alcohol and more water
    Lost 2 pounds
    Next week menus are bought and posted in my fitness pal – low carb, low calorie etc
    My average steps are over 6,000 daily now (broke ankle last October)
    Interesting that my blood pressure seems to be decreasing every day. It has been a concern – too high. I don’t know if it is the lack of alcohol and/or the increased walking every day. Anyway, Florida is finally cooling down which makes walking so much nicer!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Catherine, I think restarting this thread is working out well for you! Friday evening and the end of the week
    usually signal the need to relax with a glass of white, but I let the thought pass yesterday, in solidarity with you 🙂

• posted by Violinist
    on

Awe, Allie, thank you. I am also on youtube with Craig Beck, The “Stop drinking expert” I have a webinar with him today at 11:30. I am working several programs here!

• posted by Violinist
    on

Morning World!! Ok, maybe not world, morning Allie?

Count down to next doc appointment and blood work WEEK 11 to blood work WEEK 12 to doc appointment.
    Blood pressure has definitely gone down under 130/85 daily now and weight is heading slowly downward.
    Happy Sunday everyone! It is a festive holiday week here in Florida as Thanksgiving is Thursday. We have the local grocery store cooking our turkey for us as we are currently in a tiny kitchen as we wait for our new home to be completed.

Please log in or register to post a reply.