half way mark lost 6 kilos so far

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Dianavvm
    on

half way mark but the weight loss has slowed down and I am hardly eating anything.
    Last night went out for dinner and had two glasses of red wine and desert. Needed a reward for the 7 kilos I have lost and got a bit depressed not loosing anything yet eating nothing.
    this morning went up from 72.7 to 73.4 kg
    total of 700 grams from just two glasses of red and a mars bar. nasty indeed. wish I could loose 700 grams from not eating two glasses of red and a mars bar.
    Now back to starving myself again 800 calories a day is too many calories for me as I am a 63 year old woman. and my metabolism is nil anyway I am on 450 calories a day in order to loose a kilo a week. I need to get down to 62 kilos so another 10 to go. started at 81 kilos so slowly getting down.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Dianavvm! Welcome to our posts. I am going to caution you a bit — your calorie count is too low — you cannot get a healthy amount of nutrition in 450 calories per day and I bet you are working against your own goals at that low level because your body is moving into true starvation mode. I had a very slow start myself, way back in March, and I went through the first eight weeks with only a little loss but I kept at it (just kept my critical brain on a leash) and in the second eight week cycle and my third one too, my body just dropped the weight. It took time but it totally worked — you say you have already lost a kilo per week and you are halfway — well that is a LOT of weight to have lost in four weeks. Don’t push too hard. This diet works brilliantly but your goal is also to develop a new pattern of eating, not just lose weight. I have a couple of recommendations — first, stop weighing so much and use a tape measure to track progress — that will keep you from the dreaded “numbers game”. Two, add back in more calories in the form of FAT (cheese, whole milk yogurt, cream in coffee, fatty meats) which will satisfy your hunger and keep your weight loss happening. Third, keep your carbohydrate intake low (20-50 grams per day). And stay on course for the next four weeks WITHOUT evaluating — I think you will be amazed. We are much too quick to evaluate and criticize — we need to put our well-trained critical brains on “hold” long enough for this to work. You’ve done amazingly well in four weeks. Don’t give up — you are well on track. But up your calories — you are too low. Keep in touch!

• posted by AnnieW
    on

Hi Dianavvm, congratulations on your losses so far 1kg a week is good going as we all lose at different levels.
    Californiagirl has given good advice/information. You don’t mention your fluid intake, don’t forget you need lots of fluid and at least 1ltr, preferably more, in water a day. No criticism here on your treat/reward choices but if you feel in need of a treat can you make it non food or alcohol based. Something Pampering or buying a special magazine or book is longer lasting than the alcohol or chocolate hit that we always wonder why we did it afterwards. If your meal was a social occasion perhaps in future you could drink less alcohol and check out the restaurant choices before you go and have something BSD friendly-ish. Or just go and enjoy it and get back on track afterwards without beating yourself up about it. Good luck for the rest of your journey.

• posted by Pauloz
    on

Hi Dianavvm. Firstly let me congratulate you of what you have achieved todate. I think the advice of Californiagirl and AnnieW is spot on. What I can maybe add is that I am a male 65 year old on a similar journey to yourself. I have gone through periods where my weight has not changed for 4 or 5 days no matter what I have tried. I am also going to the gym 6 times a week and have used a personal trainer. My metabolism if horrible. But stick with it. As what I have found is that we all react/respond to the diet at different rates and after 4 days of no change I suddenly get a drop which reassures. It may take longer than the 8 weeks to get the result. But is is a lifestyle change. Stick with it you have achieved so much Well done

• posted by Dianavvm
    on

thank you all for taking the time to advise and encourage me. I have had a scare where I developed what was termed as Transcendental global amnesia. Apparently the hospital informed us that this happens once a month in the hospital. Where you just have total amensia of everything which last only up to 24 hours. All good now, but from reading the responses here we went out and had a large steak and a glass of red wine and enjoyed every sip and mouth full My scales read that I have put on 1 kilo from 2 days of eating but think that I need to slow down my weight loss.

Will lead more to the atkins type diet where I wont count all the calories but focus on protein and good fats and keep track of my Ketosis levels instead. Hopefully will loose the next 10 kilos without having any mental amnesia scares.
    I am not going to the GYM but am walking 10,000 steps a day and have cut out all white foods stuffs excepts cauliflower. Making my own yogurts now using full fat organic milk, pure cream, and full milk powder it is the most thick and delicious I have every tasted and MY thermomix is in full use with my new cooking methods,

• posted by Dianavvm
    on

thank you so very much for taking the time to respond to my email. I have taken your advise and as mentioned below had a quick trip to the hospital with a case of amnesia. All good again, but my husband took me out for dinner and had a red wine, green beans and large juicy steak. Must admit it was really delicious and am feeling a little better. I put on 1 kilo from eating for two days. I walked 10,000 steps the next day after being released from hospital so will just moniter it on a week by week basis from now on.
    I am taking your advise and will lead more to the atkins protein diet where i dont count the calories as diligently and continue to keep off the wine ,white foods and sugars. Next treat will by a glass of red on my birthday and on christmas day. You are correct in that I have to learn a new way of eating in all aspects of my daily life. I was distressed when I saw that the only way I was looking any weight was when I went down to 340 -450 calories a day. The 800 was too many calories, but on the atkins type no need to count them any more just stay away from the bad carbs and keep under 30 grams a day of the carbs. thank you all again for sharing and caring means so very much to me at this time. Running a bit scared of becoming a type 2 diabetic here but trust in this process.

Please log in or register to post a reply.