Growing a little disillusioned

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by dinkydo
    on

I have been on the diet for 6 weeks now. In my first week I lost 11 pounds (about 5kg). Each week since though I have lost only one or two pounds and nothing at all one week. I weighed 302 lbs at the start of the plan so had plenty to lose! I have lost a total of 20lbs which is very pleasing but considering the amount I have to lose, my greatly increased activity level (a lot of walking the dogs) and the steadfast way in wihich I have followed the diet I would have thought I would have lost a lot more. I am a type 2 diabetic and started the diet with a blood sugar level of 18.8 and very quickly dropped to a level of 7 or 8 so I am of course delighted with this.
    Am I expecting too much to expect a greater weight loss though?

• posted by Natalie
    on

The change in blood sugar level is fantastic! I think that is the most important thing. Maybe weight loss will speed up again later.

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hi dinkydo,
    It must be frustrating for you but do not despair – 20lbs lost is 20lbs you are not carrying around anymore. (It’s taken me 3 & 1/2 month to lose 21lbs – OK, I was starting at 174lbs). The drop in your blood sugars levels is great. So plenty to be positive about.
    Your body is adjusting (it will try and keep its fat reserves & try to thwart your efforts) – plenty of people go through what you have described. There is no steady, constant weight loss – it goes in fits & starts and, dammit, sometimes it goes back on before coming off again. Stick with it, the weight will come off again.
    Good luck!

• posted by dinkydo
    on

Thanks for your words of encouragement. Perhaps having read the case studies in the book before embarking on the diet, I set my expectations a little too high. As stated, I am delighted with my blood sugar level reduction and I shouldn’t lose sight of the fact that this is why this diet initially appealed to me. I am 52 in a week or so and been diabetic for about 5 years and foolishly have not taken it seriously enough until now. I shall soldier on!!

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

That’s the trouble with inspirational examples – they capture the imagination and the headlines – but we are not all going to achieve the same spectacular results. It’s not a criticism of the BSD/8 week book at all, it seems to be what other authors/publishers include as well. We are all different – your spectacular success was the reduction in your blood sugar levels, the weight will catch up eventually. 🙂

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Dinkydo! Oh man, those pesky lard globules just hold on like crazy. I sometimes imagine them hanging on to their homes with all ten “fingers” as I seek to eradicate them. They are especially resistant in the beginning when they think they own the place 😜! You said you have dogs — well, after so long your fat thinks it is in the alpha position. Time to reestablish the pecking order! All kidding aside, your results are stellar — firstly health wise with your lower blood sugar and secondly, 20 pounds in 6 weeks is almost 3 pounds a week. That is practically impossible on your average low calorie/low fat diet — you’d be lucky to get 1 pound a week. I would venture to say that you are responding extremely well. Think of how big and heavy a 20 pound bag of dog food is!! (You can see I have dogs too — an Australian shepherd and a little white rescue mutt).

• posted by Collie
    on

Well done on 20lbs , this is for life not just Xmas so hang in there. I’m from uk hence the analogy. ‘A dog us for life not just Xmas’ . I am a steady loser too, none one week then a loss etc.my hopes are to change my eating habits so this for me is the long haul. I probably don’t drink enough and I know that helps.Anyway take those doglets for a walk and stay strong , I may just be reassuring myself as well, good luck.

• posted by Janeycoughdrop
    on

Congrats on 20lbs loss, but more so on the blood sugar level decrease, which ultimately is the goal! Remember that as your body changes you lose fat and gain muscle, which weighs more. So if you are feeling and looking slimmer, ignore the scales and just enjoy smaller clothes! I am a committed NON weigher so I’ve always relied on how my clothes fit!

• posted by Cicipops
    on

Janeycoughdrop makes an excellent point. It’s so easy to lose faith when we dont see results on the scales. I’m beginning my 3rd week. Week 1 I lost 8lb, week 2 next to nothing, but I’ve lost 2.5 inches on my waist. Why not take your measurements week to week, as well as your weight. If you see results there it will help keep you encouraged x

Please log in or register to post a reply.